U.S. Politics: 22 Trillion Problems But An Unsecured Border Ain’t One

Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Why is it hilarious that two bodybuilder brothers aren't white?  Please explain

That they're not white matters because it's rather difficult to confuse a pair of Nigerians with local MAGA supporters that were described in the media prior to arrests, but the hilarious part is mainly that they're bodybuilders. As Cas Stark point out, if you look at a picture of those guys, it's completely incongruous that he fought them off as he claimed he did.

Another reminder that whenever Republicans accuse Democrats of voter fraud, they're just projecting.

Lisa Britt, a worker for political operative McCrae Dowless, said during the North Carolina board of elections hearing Monday that Dowless instructed his employees to fill out illegally collected absentee ballots with votes for the Republican candidates.

15 hours ago, larrytheimp said:

Why is it hilarious that two bodybuilder brothers aren't white?  Please explain

Eta: ya know what's not funny?  Most victims of violence know their attacker

It's ironic that they happen to be Nigerian though, with the whole Nigerian email scam meme.

Vox has an interesting article about the California high-speed rail mess and why the infrastructure construction asked for in the Green New Deal is very unlikely to happen unless massive changes are made to how such projects are executed. Basically, the route of the train was designed to get the maximum amount of political support and included detours which made it both expensive and impractical. Furthermore, they knew that there would be delays and cost overruns and thus they started with building the network from the middle (i.e. by connecting two small relatively small cities rather than extending the rail network from Los Angeles or San Francisco) in the hopes that the entire project would become too big to fail. The end result is that the federal government has spent $3B on something that is unlikely to be useful to anyone in the near future.

On 2/17/2019 at 8:04 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I apologize for the assumption:

Definitely has a fan base. Like 1 in 10 Sanders supporters voted for Trump. 

I disagree with you here. Her being a prosecutor isn’t a fair point against her. But how she acted as Prosecutor could be critiqued. 

True. 

I mean that's a big number (10 percent of voters defecting), but in 2008, around 24 percent of Clinton supporters voted for McCain. I believe Sanders' defectors is fairly normal in primary to presidential elections (around 10 percent of voters). My question is where this 10 percent stands now. Do they realize they fucked up? 

As for prosecution, I will double down: prosecutors and cops (in general) are a real problem in this country. I do hold it against her that she was a prosecutor. Now if she (or any prosecutor or cop) demonstrated they pushed back against the issues of abuse, I am open minded. But Harris' record is directly in line with the problem associated with prosecutors: they prosecute the poor, people of color, and they seem not too motivated by justice.

13 minutes ago, Simon Steele said:

I mean that's a big number (10 percent of voters defecting), but in 2008, around 24 percent of Clinton supporters voted for McCain. I believe Sanders' defectors is fairly normal in primary to presidential elections (around 10 percent of voters). My question is where this 10 percent stands now. Do they realize they fucked up? 

As for prosecution, I will double down: prosecutors and cops (in general) are a real problem in this country. I do hold it against her that she was a prosecutor. Now if she (or any prosecutor or cop) demonstrated they pushed back against the issues of abuse, I am open minded. But Harris' record is directly in line with the problem associated with prosecutors: they prosecute the poor, people of color, and they seem not too motivated by justice.

Yeah, some poor people and non-whites do commit crime. Look, I could understand critiquing how Harris did her job in LE, but please, it sounds as if you’re ready to condemn based off of her having had the job in the first place(which is unfair we do need prosecutors) and prosecuted individuals from certain demographics.

9 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Yeah, some poor people and non-whites do commit crime. Look, I could understand critiquing how Harris did her job in LE, but please, it sounds as if you’re ready to condemn based off of her having had the job in the first place(which is unfair we do need prosecutors) and prosecuted individuals from certain demographics.

It's not that people of color or poor people commit crime, but that these groups of people are disproportionately prosecuted for non violent, drug related offenses at rates far more significant than their white and affluent counterparts. The sentencing difference, what the prosecutor seeks in terms of time served for specific drugs, is higher when dealing with marginalized groups. 

55 minutes ago, DMC said:

I was hoping when I saw the news alert this morning that it was reporting Barry Sanders was running for president.  Now there's a guy that could lock up Michigan.

I've actually met the guy in person twice: once at a charity basketball event after his Heisman winning season and once at a bar in OKC where he called next on the pool table I was playing on, and where he proceeded to kick my ass six ways from Sunday, after he retired. Probably the nicest guy you could ever meet. I'd vote for him.

31 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I've actually met the guy in person twice: once at a charity basketball event after his Heisman winning season and once at a bar in OKC where he called next on the pool table I was playing on, and where he proceeded to kick my ass six ways from Sunday, after he retired. Probably the nicest guy you could ever meet. I'd vote for him.

Psh, the man said he was tired and it was reported that he was retired. He just accepted it. How is he supposed to stand up for the U.S. in tough negotiations.

Trump appointees have been pursuing the sale of nuclear materials to Saudi Arabia.

Several current and former Trump administration appointees promoted sales of nuclear power plants to Saudi Arabia despite repeated objections from members of the National Security Council and other senior White House officials, according to a new report from congressional Democrats.

The officials who objected included White House lawyers and H.R. McMaster, then the chief of the National Security Council. They called for a halt in the nuclear sales discussions in 2017, citing potential conflicts of interest, national security risks and legal hurdles.

Yet the effort to promote nuclear sales persisted, led by former National Security Council chief Gen. Michael Flynn and more recently by Energy Secretary Rick Perry. The possible nuclear power sale was discussed in the Oval Office as recently as last week.

Details about these internal White House battles are contained in a 24-page report released Tuesday morning by Rep. Elijah E. Cummings (D-Md.), chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee.

Is this administration actively insane?  How could you possibly think a nuclear armed Saudi Arabia is not just acceptable, but something we want to actively promote? 

2 hours ago, Simon Steele said:

It's not that people of color or poor people commit crime, but that these groups of people are disproportionately prosecuted for non violent, drug related offenses at rates far more significant than their white and affluent counterparts. The sentencing difference, what the prosecutor seeks in terms of time served for specific drugs, is higher when dealing with marginalized groups. 

Not to mention a prison system that basically takes petty criminals and turns them into violent criminals. You take away someone's ability to make a living with a felony brand, then send them to crime college where they spend their time learning to evade rules and use violence as a form of redress (and often means of survival).

13 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Is this administration actively insane?  How could you possibly think a nuclear armed Saudi Arabia is not just acceptable, but something we want to actively promote? 

What's more sane than a nuclear arms race in the middle east?

1 minute ago, DMC said:

What's more sane than a nuclear arms race in the middle east?

And it's so much more than that!  Saudi Arabia is probably the worst ally we have.  15 of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, and that wasn't just a weird coincidence - anti-American sentiment is widespread.  Their government is incredibly corrupt, has a horrible human rights record, and if they ever lose power, will probably be replaced by a regime that is equally bad, but also hates America. 

17 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

And it's so much more than that!  Saudi Arabia is probably the worst ally we have.  15 of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudis, and that wasn't just a weird coincidence - anti-American sentiment is widespread.  Their government is incredibly corrupt, has a horrible human rights record, and if they ever lose power, will probably be replaced by a regime that is equally bad, but also hates America. 

Since I rarely agree with the CW on here...let me agree now.  It is mind boggling that both Dems and Republicans continue to treat Saudi Arabia and their poisonous wahhabism as an ally.  They are absolutely, by far, the worst ally we have or have had in decades.

32 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Not to mention a prison system that basically takes petty criminals and turns them into violent criminals. You take away someone's ability to make a living with a felony brand, then send them to crime college where they spend their time learning to evade rules and use violence as a form of redress (and often means of survival).

As long as for profit prisons get their slave labor all is well. ;)

Archived