Valentine's Day special (2nd part): The things I do for love

rotting sea cow

This is one of the most memorable quotes from the entire series (incidentally also from Jaime)

"Seven," Bran said, shaking with relief. His fingers had dug deep gouges in the man's forearm. He let go sheepishly.

The man looked over at the woman. "The things I do for love," he said with loathing. He gave Bran a shove.

Screaming, Bran went backward out the window into empty air. There was nothing to grab on to. The courtyard rushed up to meet him.

Bran II, AGOT

It refers to do (highly) questionable things for the sake of love (or the idea of love)

It comes to my mind Ned telling the world a lie for the sake of love of his deceased sister, harming his relation with his wife.

Which other examples do we have in the series?

"Khaleesi," he cried, "I bring gifts and glad tidings. The Stormcrows are yours." A golden tooth gleamed in his mouth when he smiled. "And so is Daario Naharis!"

Dany was dubious. If this Tyroshi had come to spy, this declaration might be no more than a desperate plot to save his head. "What do Prendahl na Ghezn and Sallor say of this?"

"Little." Daario upended the sack, and the heads of Sallor the Bald and Prendahl na Ghezn spilled out upon her carpets. "My gifts to the dragon queen."

Viserion sniffed the blood leaking from Prendahl's neck, and let loose a gout of flame that took the dead man full in the face, blackening and blistering his bloodless cheeks. Drogon and Rhaegal stirred at the smell of roasted meat.

"You did this?" Dany asked queasily.

"None other." If her dragons discomfited Daario Naharis, he hid it well. For all the mind he paid them, they might have been three kittens playing with a mouse.

"Why?"

"Because you are so beautiful."

"I know I want you," he heard himself say, all his vows and all his honor forgotten. She stood before him naked as her name day, and he was as hard as the rock around them. He had been in her half a hundred times by now, but always beneath the furs, with others all around them. He had never seen how beautiful she was. Her legs were skinny but well muscled, the hair at the juncture of her thighs a brighter red than that on her head. Does that make it even luckier? He pulled her close. "I love the smell of you," he said. "I love your red hair. I love your mouth, and the way you kiss me. I love your smile. I love your teats." He kissed them, one and then the other. "I love your skinny legs, and what's between them." He knelt to kiss her there, lightly on her mound at first, but Ygritte moved her legs apart a little, and he saw the pink inside and kissed that as well, and tasted her. She gave a little gasp. "If you love me all so much, why are you still dressed?" she whispered. "You know nothing, Jon Snow. Noth—oh. Oh. OHHH."
Afterward, she was almost shy, or as shy as Ygritte ever got. "That thing you did," she said, when they lay together on their piled clothes. "With your . . . mouth." She hesitated. "Is that . . . is it what lords do to their ladies, down in the south?"

ASOS Jon III

A Valentine's themed quote thread! I love it!

Roose Bolton, the gushing romantic newlywed:

I have become oddly fond of my fat little wife. The two before her never made a sound in bed, but this one squeals and shudders. I find that quite endearing. If she pops out sons the way she pops in tarts, the Dreadfort will soon be overrun with Boltons. Ramsay will kill them all, of course. Thats for the best. I will not live long enough to see new sons to manhood, and boy lords are the bane of any House. Walda will grieve to see them die, though.

No quotes, unfortunately, as I'm on the road - but Robert Baratheon, then Lord of Storm's End, started a war that killed probably hundreds of thousands of innocents "for love" of Lyanna Stark.

I'm noting a trend towards men performing atrocities "for love." Given this, what do these dudes mean by "love"? Is it any more than sex and possession of something pretty that they can flaunt in front of other men?

4 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

This is one of the most memorable quotes from the entire series (incidentally also from Jaime)

It refers to do (highly) questionable things for the sake of love (or the idea of love)

It comes to my mind Ned telling the world a lie for the sake of love of his deceased sister, harming his relation with his wife.

What Jaime did was not questionable.  It was plain wrong.  He and Cersei chose to take that risk.  Bran was innocent.  There was always a chance he will keep his mouth shut.

4 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

The things people do for love.  Jon Snow betrays the watch because he loved Arya. 

Mead and marriage had taken years off Lady Lysa.She laughed at everything so long as she held her husband's hand., and her eyes seemed to glow everytime that she looked at him.

You told me to put the tears in Jon's wine, and I did. For Robert, and for us! And I wrote Catelyn and told her the Lannisters had killed my lord husband, just as you said. That was so clever... you were always clever, I told Father that, I said Petyr's so clever, he'll rise high, he will, he will, and he's sweet and gentle and I have his little baby in my belly...

Lysa and LF's relationship was so pure and beautiful, it's a shame what happened with Marillion.:crying:

"Be quiet and kiss me," he commanded.

He could taste the wine on her lips, and feel her small firm breasts pressed against him as her fingers moved to the lacings of his breeches. "My lion," she whispered when he broke off the kiss to undress. "My sweet lord, my giant of Lannister." Tyrion pushed her toward the bed. When he entered her, she screamed loud enough to wake Baelor the Blessed in his tomb, and her nails left gouges in his back. He'd never had a pain he liked half so well.

18 hours ago, zandru said:

No quotes, unfortunately, as I'm on the road - but Robert Baratheon, then Lord of Storm's End, started a war that killed probably hundreds of thousands of innocents "for love" of Lyanna Stark.

Well. This is not accurate. The war started when Aerys killed Rickard and Brandon and demanded that Jon Arrym kills Ned and Robert who were his guests, so Arryn rebelled. Had Aerys acted more reasonably, Robert would have been wroth and likely wanted to rebel, but he would have been alone.

18 hours ago, zandru said:

I'm noting a trend towards men performing atrocities "for love." Given this, what do these dudes mean by "love"? Is it any more than sex and possession of something pretty that they can flaunt in front of other men?

It is certainly true in the case of Jaime, although he doesn't "flaunt" and probably others. But there are also cases where sex or possession is not involved and the decisions may be also questionable. I agree that in many cases - particularly Jaime - is the idea of love rather love in itself.

18 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

What Jaime did was not questionable.  It was plain wrong.  He and Cersei chose to take that risk.  Bran was innocent.  There was always a chance he will keep his mouth shut. 

Well, I used the word questionable so we have a range of possibilities. Like the case of Jon and his decisions regarding the Night Watch to save Arya  as you pointed out.

17 hours ago, Aurane said:

Lysa and LF's relationship was so pure and beautiful

Beyond the joke. Lysa is another excellent example of bad things doing for love. Lysa killed Jon Arryn at behest of her lover "to save" her son. She kept the Vale out of the war, turning her back to her family because her lover convinced her to do so. And she ends being killed by the same man. Poor Lysa.

4 hours ago, Annalee said:

Sansa kept her mouth shut and took Joffrey's side.  Her wolf was killed and Arya had to send hers away.  Micah died because of the lie.  All for the love of Joffrey.  Or what Joffrey represented.  

This is wrong, wrong, wrong. But no one has ever changed their mind on this topic, so I'll leave it be.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:35 AM, rotting sea cow said:

Lol, I'll give you an eerily similar scene:

Littlefinger let Lysa sob against his chest for a moment, then put his hands on her arms and kissed her lightly. "My sweet silly jealous wife," he said, chuckling. "I've only loved one woman, I promise you."

Lysa Arryn smiled tremulously. "Only one? Oh, Petyr, do you swear it? Only one?"

"Only Cat." He gave her a short, sharp shove.

Extremely effective use of alliteration, too.

1 hour ago, Springwatch said:

This is wrong, wrong, wrong. But no one has ever changed their mind on this topic, so I'll leave it be.

Care to explain?

Notice, I'm not judging. I'm asking for examples of questionable or wrong things done for the sake of love or the idea of love. Some of  Sansa's actions fall in that category (also comes to my mind Sansa running to Cersei and revealing her father plans). But Sansa is a pre-teen and the failure of Ned to effectively communicate with her was a big part of the problem as was the education Sansa received.

Certainly, none of the Sansa's actions are at the level of Jaime shoving a kid out of the window because he witnessed something he should not.

15 hours ago, rotting sea cow said:

Care to explain?

Um. I've danced this dance before, and it's never gone well.

Notice, I'm not judging. I'm asking for examples of questionable or wrong things done for the sake of love or the idea of love. Some of  Sansa's actions fall in that category (also comes to my mind Sansa running to Cersei and revealing her father plans). But Sansa is a pre-teen and the failure of Ned to effectively communicate with her was a big part of the problem as was the education Sansa received.

Agree.

Certainly, none of the Sansa's actions are at the level of Jaime shoving a kid out of the window because he witnessed something he should not.

Absolutely agree.

Anyway:

20 hours ago, Annalee said:

Sansa kept her mouth shut

No, silence is not how she habitually acts, not her mode of operation. Words are. Again and again we see her straining every nerve to make herself look as beautiful as possible, and then going up to the powerful person and pleading prettily. It might have worked on Robert who is often sentimental about women and girls, but she only had about 5 seconds before Arya launched into her.

and took Joffrey's side. 

No, taking Joffrey's side would be backing up his version of events. (Robert says later that he always knew Joff was lying.)

Taking Arya's side means distracting attention from the major crime of attacking the Crown Prince.

Arya needs mercy and indulgence, to be treated as a vulnerable child.

She does not need established facts and a legal ruling. That would be the justice that Cersei wants. What Ned wants is Robert to recognise the Stark girls as good and harmless children. Sansa can help with that.

Her wolf was killed and Arya had to send hers away. 

Cersei's argument for killing the wolves was that they would always be dangerous - ferocious by nature and not kept in control by their little girl owners. Sansa and Lady were the perfect counter-example to this argument. So it was doubly unfortunate that Arya broke loose and beat Sansa to the ground. It was the violence that made Robert cut short the hearing, not Sansa's hesitation.

Micah died because of the lie. 

Mycah was already dead. The Hound hunted him down and butchered him, only arriving back after the trial and Lady's death.

All for the love of Joffrey.  Or what Joffrey represented.  

She made mistakes for the love of Joffrey. Just not this.

Archived