MIA - but not Killed on Page

Legitimate_Bastard

13 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

That would be awesome. Didn't GRRM say something about no more new characters being introduced? I guess she wouldn't be technically new. He may have meant POV's I don't remember.

Not new PoVs, he said, an unreasonable constrain because he may need another one eventually. I wouldn't mind a few other PoV as long as they contribute to the story.

13 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Weasel is missing in Riverlands. Remember that little girl from ACOK that wouldnt stop crying?

Yeah I haven't reassigned locations yet - was at work yesterday so its a bit higgledy piggledy.

13 hours ago, Nevets said:

An awful lot of these aren't really missing.  We may not know their precise whereabouts, but have no reason to think they are dead or even that they won't appear in subsequent books.  In many cases, they are simply not important enough to keep close track of, and don't have a POV in the immediate vicinity.  For example, many of the Night's Watch men are simply on rangings or at other castles.  Bemjen Stark and Stonesnake are the only names there I would really consider missing.

Jaime and Brienne may be technically missing, but the likelihood of their not appearing in the next book is essentially nil.

By the way, I would list Syrio Forel in KL.  Not that I actually believe he's alive, but he did die offstage.  Certainly more likely than Mandon Moore, who had armor on in a deep river.

Indeed, you are right.

Before I got to that step I wanted to compile as many as possible from the contributions from other folks.

Once I have an entire list I will begin whittling down those that like you said are not truly missing etc etc.

And yes, some of them are very likely not important enough to worry about - I wanted a full list regardless of importance/chance of reappearance.

You just never know with GRRM - the seemingly insignificant may turn out to be otherwise and I would kick myself if that turns out to be true and I omitted a character because they seemed unimportant.

I will add Syrio! Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Aurane said:

Wow, a lot of people end up missing in KL.:lol:

You should add Aurane Waters to KL, Marillion to the Vale, and Salladhor Saan to the North.

It is done.

I still have more cleaning up to do this weekend.

Thanks everyone for contributing.

Also thanks to @Alexis-something-Rose for the INCREDIBLE spreadsheet that will take me some time to go through. Awesome stuff.

On 2/14/2019 at 5:05 PM, Hugorfonics said:

Tyrek aint missing. If you noticed, these Lannisters love renaming themselves as if they were bastards out of Lannisport, apparently young Tyrek thought his bastard name should have a double e.

The mans in Kansas City, but if you go to Kansas you wont find him, but ask around and theyll know. Just ask for the 1500 yard 12 TD bastard, they'll know. 

:D  Love this!.....Tyreek, it rhymes with sly-freak.  

Also worth mentioning that "wet nurse" has learned how to glamor himself a Summer Islander. ;)  Pretty impressive!

18 hours ago, Wolf of the Steppes said:

:D  Love this!.....Tyreek, it rhymes with sly-freak.  

Also worth mentioning that "wet nurse" has learned how to glamor himself a Summer Islander. ;)  Pretty impressive!

Lol, wet nurse. Thats gotta become a thing.

Maybe Tyrek Lannister is black?

Last seen at Winterfell: You may already have some of these listed - but this is the list I have started

Rickon
Osha 
Shaggydog
Nymeria

Joseth (stable master)
-Brandy ^daughter
-Shyra ^ daughter
Gage - castle cook
-Turnip ^son
Palla - kennel master's daughter
Calon - son of Cayn
Tomtoo - son of Fat Tom Tomard
Murch - huntsman
Gariss - huntsman
Old Nan
Barth - brewer's wife
Beth Cassell - daughter of Ser Rodrik
Kyra - whore @Smoking Ale House
Bessa - whore @Smoking Ale House

Missing Guardsmen/New Guardsmen that replaced those that went to King's Landing
Wayn
Lew
Donnis
Skittrick
Hayhead

Away from Winterfell when last seen/mentioned:
Hallis Mollen - with Ned's bones
Jacks - with Ned's bones
Shadd - with Ned's bones
Quent - with Ned's bones

Harwin - with BwoB

On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:30 AM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I am trying to compile a list of characters who are missing but have not died on page.

The purpose : to determine whether or not they are likely to appear again in TWOW or ADOS.

Big Boil
Bodger
Del
Errok
Grigg the Goat
Hempen Dan
Henk the Helm
Jarl
Lenn
Styr
Quort
Stone Thumbs
Toefinger
Ygritte

These are the only names I could find of those listed as going over the Wall with Styr. We sure can't assume they all died at the Battle of Castle Black, but their names were not mentioned with the dead. If I missed any, I apologize. If anyone has a name I have missed, please let me know. Thank you

That's quite a list.  It might be worth pruning or dividing it to make it more concise.  E.G.  Varys may have dropped out of sight at the end of ASOS but is it really the case that we think he is missing in action, fate undetermined, as with, say, Benjen Stark or The Hound?  He's just waiting in the wings for GRRM to bring him in at the appropriate time (same for the likes of Jaime or lesser figures like Galbert Glover and Maege Mormont who sailed off for Greywater Watch in ASOS).  Despite the split narrative structure of AFFC and ADWD we have only had one book since ASOS and some characters are waiting on events to re-emerge rather than hanging off a metaphorical cliff like Jon Snow.  And without being unduly harsh to the likes of Hugh Clifton or Gerald Gower, would we care or even notice if we never saw them again?

On 2/14/2019 at 10:30 AM, Legitimate_Bastard said:

I am trying to compile a list of characters who are missing but have not died on page.

The purpose : to determine whether or not they are likely to appear again in TWOW or ADOS.

After some time of inactivity, I have decided to take the initiative and re-order the list by likelihood of reappearance.  Hope I'm not stepping on your toes too much!

Genuine mysteries:  These are characters whose whereabouts are unknown, and are regarded as a mystery, either by other characters or readers.  Benjen Stark; Tyrek Lannister; Ashara Dayne; Richard Lonmouth; Tysha; Weasel.  I expect to see the first three again.

Essential characters;  While their whereabouts are presently unknown, these are too important to disappear.  Count on seeing them again.  Jaime; Brienne; Varys; Blackfish; Sandor Clegane; Rickon and Osha; Loras; Gerold Dayne; Edric Storm.

Important:  These are off doing something outside POV view.  They have some importance and will reappear when it is useful for the story to do so.  Alliser Thorne; Pyp; Grenn; Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont; Edric Dayne.

Semi-important:  These may or may not reappear.  If not, we will probably find out their fate.  Dywen; Kedge Whiteye ;Weeper; Old Nan; Beth Casell; Salladhor Saan; Olyvar Frey; Elmar Frey; Shagga and the other clansmen; Blue Bard and other victims of Cersei; Bloody Mummers; Aurane Waters.

Who cares?:  I don't even remember most of these, and I doubt anyone else does either.  If they do reappear, it will be because they are somehow useful.  Arnell; Desmond Grell; Robin Ryger; Mad Huntsman; Anguy; Greenbeard; Willis Wode; Harwyn Plumm; Parmen Crane.

Dead:  While we have no body, I seriously doubt we will see any of these again.  Stonesnake; Marillion; Mandon Moore; Syrio Forel; Raynald Westerling; Gerrion Lannister.

Feel free to offer revisions, complaints, compliments, etc. as you see fit!

12 hours ago, Nevets said:

After some time of inactivity, I have decided to take the initiative and re-order the list by likelihood of reappearance.  Hope I'm not stepping on your toes too much!

Genuine mysteries:  These are characters whose whereabouts are unknown, and are regarded as a mystery, either by other characters or readers.  Benjen Stark; Tyrek Lannister; Ashara Dayne; Richard Lonmouth; Tysha; Weasel.  I expect to see the first three again.

Essential characters;  While their whereabouts are presently unknown, these are too important to disappear.  Count on seeing them again.  Jaime; Brienne; Varys; Blackfish; Sandor Clegane; Rickon and Osha; Loras; Gerold Dayne; Edric Storm.

Important:  These are off doing something outside POV view.  They have some importance and will reappear when it is useful for the story to do so.  Alliser Thorne; Pyp; Grenn; Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont; Edric Dayne.

Semi-important:  These may or may not reappear.  If not, we will probably find out their fate.  Dywen; Kedge Whiteye ;Weeper; Old Nan; Beth Casell; Salladhor Saan; Olyvar Frey; Elmar Frey; Shagga and the other clansmen; Blue Bard and other victims of Cersei; Bloody Mummers; Aurane Waters.

Who cares?:  I don't even remember most of these, and I doubt anyone else does either.  If they do reappear, it will be because they are somehow useful.  Arnell; Desmond Grell; Robin Ryger; Mad Huntsman; Anguy; Greenbeard; Willis Wode; Harwyn Plumm; Parmen Crane.

Dead:  While we have no body, I seriously doubt we will see any of these again.  Stonesnake; Marillion; Mandon Moore; Syrio Forel; Raynald Westerling; Gerrion Lannister.

Feel free to offer revisions, complaints, compliments, etc. as you see fit!

No - this is awesome :cheers: .

I hope more people reorder/shuffle this list to suit their opinions and ideas - I have been limited on time a bit lately.

The list grew due to contribution from everyone so I feel no ownership or anything LOL.

Under your 'Who Cares' category - I do feel that the fact we did not see the character die on page is significant in its own right, and could be a device by GRRM to plausibly reintroduce the character at a later date.

Good stuff.

11 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Under your 'Who Cares' category - I do feel that the fact we did not see the character die on page is significant in its own right, and could be a device by GRRM to plausibly reintroduce the character at a later date.

The "Who Cares?" category is mostly people who are simply doing something else and aren't important enough to keep track of.  He could be keeping some of them in reserve in case he needs to use them again, but, to be honest, if we never heard from them again, it would be no great loss.

Thanks for the endorsement!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived