NBA 2019 - Now the Joy in My World is in Zion

Relic

LeBron is still capable of being the best player on the court on any given night when healthy.  I think that makes him still the best in the league.

Now, he's not having the best season, but I think that's a different argument.

You let me choose one guy for a must-win playoff game and I'm still taking LeBron.

7 minutes ago, briantw said:

LeBron is still capable of being the best player on the court on any given night when healthy.  I think that makes him still the best in the league.

Now, he's not having the best season, but I think that's a different argument.

You let me choose one guy for a must-win playoff game and I'm still taking LeBron.

Honestly I might take Kawhi. I want someone who can also guard the other team's best player, and IDK if LeBron can do that still over the course of an entire game. 

And that video clip on the previous page is haunting. 

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Honestly I might take Kawhi. I want someone who can also guard the other team's best player, and IDK if LeBron can do that still over the course of an entire game. 

And that video clip on the previous page is haunting. 

Yeah, he wouldn't be a bad choice, and we know he's capable of showing up when it matters too.

That's my main question with Giannis.  I know he's incredible, but I need to see him take over some playoff series now before I can anoint him the top player in the league.

12 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, he wouldn't be a bad choice, and we know he's capable of showing up when it matters too.

That's my main question with Giannis.  I know he's incredible, but I need to see him take over some playoff series now before I can anoint him the top player in the league.

Agreed. My other question with him is is he a byproduct of the team's roster construction? The team is built perfectly around him. I wonder how he'd look if he and LeBron switched places, because the Buck's roster is the one James needs.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Agreed. My other question with him is is he a byproduct of the team's roster construction? The team is built perfectly around him. I wonder how he'd look if he and LeBron switched places, because the Buck's roster is the one James needs.

Side note: It cracked me up in the offseason when Magic was acting like a fucking genius for putting a different kind of team around LeBron to "take the load off of him" or some nonsense.

How's that working out for you, asshole?  

Turns out putting shooters around probably the greatest drive and kick player to ever play the game was a good idea.

15 hours ago, briantw said:

Side note: It cracked me up in the offseason when Magic was acting like a fucking genius for putting a different kind of team around LeBron to "take the load off of him" or some nonsense.

Turns out putting shooters around probably the greatest drive and kick player to ever play the game was a good idea.

Magic is making the mistake most great former players do, he wants guys that remind him of himself and the era he played in.

16 hours ago, briantw said:

Supposedly that's what LeBron wanted, he was tired of being the de facto PG. It's not necessarily a bad idea, especially if he wants to extend his career as long as possible, but it requires the right personnel. Magic picked players who sucked. 

It's like when Isiah Thomas was running the Knicks. Some of his ideas weren't bad conceptually, it would at least be worth seeing how they'd have played out at the time, but he picked absolutely terrible players to execute them.

31 minutes ago, Fez said:

Supposedly that's what LeBron wanted, he was tired of being the de facto PG. It's not necessarily a bad idea, especially if he wants to extend his career as long as possible, but it requires the right personnel. Magic picked players who sucked. 

It's like when Isiah Thomas was running the Knicks. Some of his ideas weren't bad conceptually, it would at least be worth seeing how they'd have played out at the time, but he picked absolutely terrible players to execute them.

Maybe LeBron thought he was tired of being the PG, but it's really the only way he knows how to play, and he always reverts back to LeBron ball eventually.  And in the modern NBA, assembling a roster full of poor shooters is about the dumbest thing you could do. 

And I mean, LeBron has had talented playmakers for the past eight years and he largely ignored them.  Love is one of the best big man passers in the league, but playing next to LeBron he was a glorified spot up shooter (although unlike Bosh he at least didn't forget how to rebound).

That's just who LeBron is.  He needs the ball in his hands to be LeBron, and historically LeBron ball is really fucking effective.

8 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

The Lakers have announced that Brandon Ingram will miss the remainder of the season injury. For the Lakers, when it rains, it pours.

They probably just shut him down.  They've already said that LeBron is going to play limited minutes and not play in back to backs.  They tanking.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

They probably just shut him down.  They've already said that LeBron is going to play limited minutes and not play in back to backs.  They tanking.

It's more serious than that. They discovered a blood clot in his upper arm and will have to take blood thinning meds. This was discovered after the initial announcement.

I think after the season LeBron is having you can't really say that right now, he's the best player in the NBA by any sort of clear margin.

It's also true that the other MVP contenders don't outshine LeBron, its more that they seem to be in the same bracket now that LeBron is 34 and had this year. Who knows, he may be phenomenal again next year. But I'd say Durant, Curry, Harden.. maybe also Giannis and Kawhi have been as good as LeBron ( and I'm not taking into account injuries, comparing them when fit). Of that list I think a sterling season end and NBA finals performance by Curry or Durant could realistically make them "best" for this season. Giannis and Harden as well if they manage to get their teams above expectation ( which would mean getting to  NBA finals in both cases).

9 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Giannis and Harden as well if they manage to get their teams above expectation ( which would mean getting to  NBA finals in both cases).

In Giannis' case he's already brought his team much further this season than any pundit predicted. The Bucks have a historically high margin of victory, putting them in like the top 15 teams of all time in that regard. It's nuts, really. He deserves the MVP

I'd still like to see more from him though, before I'd proclaim he's better than LeBron right now, which was the comparison.

If he can get the Bucks past Toronto and the Celtics into the finals against GSW, that'll be a real feat.

Some other NBA notes that I have observed:

• I still do not believe in this Sixers team. They are not coming out of the East.
  • Houston is beginning to look like the second best team in the West after all, and possibly the only team to have some sort of halfway credible challenge to GSW. Denver, Portland and OKC have zero chance.
  • OKC is clearly a team of very little margins, every game for this either a hardfought loss, or hardfought win. Very hard to predict their results.
  • I wonder who gets Zion..... and Barrett, between Phoenix, Cavs, Knicks and Bulls. Seems to me that Bulls would be most dangerous with Zion as the addition. I kind of wish he doesn't go to Knicks or Suns cause it seems that those two teams are going to be lost causes forever, whatever players they get ( sorry Relic).

On 3/10/2019 at 7:16 AM, Calibandar said:

I'd still like to see more from him though, before I'd proclaim he's better than LeBron right now, which was the comparison.

If he can get the Bucks past Toronto and the Celtics into the finals against GSW, that'll be a real feat.

Some other NBA notes that I have observed:

• I still do not believe in this Sixers team. They are not coming out of the East.
  • Houston is beginning to look like the second best team in the West after all, and possibly the only team to have some sort of halfway credible challenge to GSW. Denver, Portland and OKC have zero chance.
  • OKC is clearly a team of very little margins, every game for this either a hardfought loss, or hardfought win. Very hard to predict their results.
  • I wonder who gets Zion..... and Barrett, between Phoenix, Cavs, Knicks and Bulls. Seems to me that Bulls would be most dangerous with Zion as the addition. I kind of wish he doesn't go to Knicks or Suns cause it seems that those two teams are going to be lost causes forever, whatever players they get ( sorry Relic).

I don't trust the sixers at all.  Neither of their top players can shoot.

I think Houston was always the best chance to unseat GS, thin as that chance was.  Even the biggest Denver fan was hoping for a trip to the WCF at best (personally i think they only take one series).  But OKC could take out Houston in the playoffs if seeding worked out right.  The Blazers have peaked with the current roster, I truly believe that.

And the Freak is MVP but I think Durant has taken the Best in NBA award this year.  Playoffs will prove it out methinks.  Lebron could get it back next year though.

My buddy, who is a Spurs fan, just sent me this insane stat of how consistently good they’ve been over the last few decades. 

Fewest days with a losing record in the last 22 years:

Spurs- 65 days

Rockets- 1007 days

Mavs- 1025 days

Trail Blazers- 1044 days

They also just won their 41st game. Amazing.

I’ll get to see Ja Morant live Thursday as he plays in Hartford. Hopefully he puts on a show, they win and I get to see him twice. Bulls better get a top 3 pick this year. LaVine and Morant together would be fun as hell to watch. 

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

My buddy, who is a Spurs fan, just sent me this insane stat of how consistently good they’ve been over the last few decades. 

Spurs- 65 days

Rockets- 1007 days

Mavs- 1025 days

Trail Blazers- 1044 days

I’ll get to see Ja Morant live Thursday as he plays in Hartford. Hopefully he puts on a show, they win and I get to see him twice. Bulls better get a top 3 pick this year. LaVine and Morant together would be fun as hell to watch. 

Jealous.  I saw him against Austin Peay in the regular season finale.  Just so effortless.  He was amazing.

3 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Pops is the best NBA coach of all-time, imo.  

26 minutes ago, briantw said:

Pops is the best NBA coach of all-time, imo.  

Yeah, he's adapted to multiple different styles of play and also managed to win with a max salaried player injured. Its not just having Duncan make him look good.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Days instead of matches. :shocked:

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Spurs- 65 days

Rockets- 1007 days

Mavs- 1025 days

Trail Blazers- 1044 days

What other teams, in any sport, has survived the retirement of their cornerstone and not slowed down at all?  I realize they don't have a championship without Duncan.  But they continue to compete hard even after losing their second generation star in Kawhi.

Closest I can think of is Niners of my childhood replacing one HOF QB with another. 

Archived