NBA 2019 - Now the Joy in My World is in Zion

Relic

5 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Relic's older than that.

Have you started shaving yet? 

Actually I have a beard rocking at the moment, and one of the two super-hot women in the office said I looked incredibly handsome with it not more than an hour or so ago.

13 minutes ago, briantw said:

I sure feel old after a night of drinking these days.  This morning has been fucking rough.

Well at 30 I’m entering that period of life when your body begins to fall apart.

Where I’m noticing most is that some positions are requiring a lot more effort than they did in my teens and 20’s.

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Well at 30 I’m entering that period of life when your body begins to fall apart.

Honestly I don't feel much worse than I did five years ago, but man every time I drink beer any more I wake up feeling like absolute shit.  

8 minutes ago, briantw said:

Honestly I don't feel much worse than I did five years ago, but man every time I drink beer any more I wake up feeling like absolute shit.  

Just drink water before you go to bed. I can have a day drinking bender and be fine the next morning by just drink 2-4 glasses of water at the end of the day. Hydration is the key.

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Just drink water before you go to bed. I can have a day drinking bender and be fine the next morning by just drink 2-4 glasses of water at the end of the day. Hydration is the key.

But then you get the pissing the bed problem. 

37 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I turn 41 a week from today... I don't want to hear it from you whippersnappers.

I'm turning 42 soon. I don't drink much anymore, not because it makes me feel like crap in the morning, but because it makes me sleepy.

29 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm turning 42 soon. I don't drink much anymore, not because it makes me feel like crap in the morning, but because it makes me sleepy.

And its too damn expensive!  Why do I wanna spend that much on a beer?!!?

Five Dollas?!!?  Good Loard that's a lotta money!!!!

3 hours ago, briantw said:

And I'm a bit over 30.  Not sure if that makes me older than you or not.  

I'm 33, will be 34 in May.  So, yeah pretty much the same.  Always got the impression you were a bit older.  Weird how those impressions work with forum posters.

3 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

Talking of people being out of shape.  Zion looks like he could balloon and be fat as fuck quite easily. 

Yes he will almost certainly be a very large player if he makes it to his thirties.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’m pretty sure that all three of you are the same age. You’re all 33/34, Relic, DMC, and Brian.

Again, wow, I'm surprised Relic isn't older.  I mean, his name is Relic.

but yes, it was Kobe who accused Shaq of dogging it.

Yeah, I'm aware.  Which is why I don't give it much credence.  Or any, actually.

And it does make sense. Kobe always gave the maximum effort while Shaq coasted a lot while relying on his size and talent.

This is Kobe propaganda.  I'm not questioning his effort, but I definitely question his questioning of Shaq's effort.  Kobe had a lot of interest in denigrating Shaq in such a way.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

The hangovers definitely get worse and worse.  And no drinking water doesn't help.  At least for the professionals.

2 hours ago, DMC said:

I think there's a large cluster of people in their mid 20's to mid 30's who came here because of the show and then a lot of people over like 45 who were long time book readers. That obviously doesn't apply to everyone though.

Yeah, I'm aware.  Which is why I don't give it much credence.  Or any, actually.

This is Kobe propaganda.  I'm not questioning his effort, but I definitely question his questioning of Shaq's effort.  Kobe had a lot of interest in denigrating Shaq in such a way.

I agree that it's propaganda, but I can also see how someone like Kobe would see even a little bit of slacking as totally unacceptable. Kobe is a man without friends. He's Stannis.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:40 PM, DMC said:

1. I don't that's fair, particularly because it's not accurate.  The Celtics dominated whatever team Wilt happened to be on.  Russell didn't "dominate" Wilt.

2. Meh, I think it was large enough.  He was dominate for about 10 seasons, and really really good for four others.

3. From what I've seen of him, which admittedly isn't a whole bunch and was in the long long ago when I went to basketball camps, I'd describe him as a point forward.

4. Meh, I don't feel this way about Curry.  I think it's a direction of causality thing - Curry didn't change the game, he capitalized on the way the game was changing.

5. Chris Paul has disappointed me too much.  I was sure that guy was gonna be the GOAT at 1, or at least the clear number 2 after Magic, and he just keeps on letting me down.  It's personal and I don't like talking about it.

Mind if I just number these? It's easier to format it that way.

1. Perhaps that's a better way to phrase it, and we have to remember that the Celtics were a team of HoFers. Wilt was often time a one man team.

2. I remember his window being smaller than that, but then again I have very little memory of him on the Magic. I'm looking at his stats right now and you're right, it was about 10 years where he was a top 5 player, or at least in the conversation. He did fall off fairly quickly after that though, and weight had to play a huge role.

3. Maybe at the start of his career, but after his first few seasons he looks to be a traditional elite PG.

4. This is where I have to disagree. Curry is what changed. He was last I looked, which was a while back, shooting at a higher percentage beyond 30 feet than the league as a whole was shooting from 3. That spaces the floor in a way that's never been seen. The Warriors are also clearly better when they have Curry and not KD than the other way around. I think I heard that they are 16-1 when Curry plays and KD doesn't. And I found this from last year:

The team was 6-0 during the 2017-2018 regular season when Curry, Klay Thompson, and Draymond Green were playing without Durant. The Warriors' record with Durant, Thompson, and Green without Curry was 10-7. It's obvious that Curry is still the MVP of this super team.

https://thetylt.com/sports/golden-state-warriors-kevin-durant-stephen-curry-mvp

5. Lol okay. The two things I'll say though is that he probably wins a championship last year if he doesn't get hurt in game 5 and he may have won several titles if he had been allowed to go to the Lakers. My only real knock on the guy is he should score a lot more given his shooting splits. He's only had two seasons in which he averaged more than 20 PPG. That's kid of jarring to read.

On 3/21/2019 at 4:28 PM, Jaime L said:

Back then every team had beefy 7 footers they used to bang with and foul Shaq constantly and he still was average 29/13/4 during his early Lakers years. And this was at a time where the league played 10% slower and averaged 95 ppg instead of 110. Extrapolate that to today's game and he's averaging 34/15s just as a baseline. 

Not to mention all those 7 footers have been driven to the bench in this pace and space era. Either you brush the mothballs of the Timofey Mosgovs of the world and are stuck playing an offensive blackhole at center or you try to pace-and-space Shaq off the floor and hope somehow the Clint Capelas/Draymond Greens can somehow slow him down. But really what happens is he either puts up a 45/17 on smaller dudes and with the added space all his teammates now provide him that they didn't in 2001 or he's opening up 3 pointers for all his teammates as you double and triple team him.

Sure you'll get more open 3's than ever as Shaq won't be able to run guys off the line but I feel very confident you're gonna lose the points trade off in the end. Shaq would break your 5 out concept before you break him. Sure he'll need more rest playing in this faster era but when he's on the floor it'll be like a HS junior playing against 7th graders. He's the most destructive post up guy I can ever recall watching. A slightly less dominant center and the math may break different. 

The bolded is actually an argument against his long term dominance. The increased pace of play could lead to him getting run off the court, and if he was carrying that much weight he would have broken down physically at a much faster rate.

I don't really disagree with the other points you've made, and any disagreement would be in the margins. My point was that young Shaq would be just as dominate now, but he would age faster and likely decline towards the end of seasons. My theory is that after five or six years Shaq would have been like an aging elite QB. One who dominates the first 8-12 weeks, but slowly declines after that and is a shell of himself once we're deep into the playoffs. 

Man, I haven't quad posted in awhile. Yippee!

4 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

But then you get the pissing the bed problem. 

Dude, if you're getting legitly drunk on beer, you're like 8 cans in and the dam has already broken long ago.

Also, make sure to drink the water at the end, not while you're drinking. Doing so will kill your buzz leading you to drink even more.

19 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think there's a large cluster of people in their mid 20's to mid 30's who came here because of the show

Yeah that'd be me.  Bought the books, like, the day after I watched "Baelor" and read them all within a week.  The ADWD came out and I remember reading that in, like, 60 hours.  Actually a pretty nostalgic period, it was also exactly the point I got into grad school when I didn't think anyone would accept my fucked up undergrad transcript.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

but then again I have very little memory of him on the Magic.

I do.  I was so happy and innocent then.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

and weight had to play a huge role.

Yeah sure it did, not arguing that.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

3. Maybe at the start of his career, but after his first few seasons he looks to be a traditional elite PG.

Actually my understanding of his career, and if you look it up, is he started as a pure 1 and then evolved into more of a point forward.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This is where I have to disagree. Curry is what changed.

This whole point is a very fair and valid argument that I can't really argue against with any type of evidence.  I just don't see it that way.

9 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

he probably wins a championship last year if he doesn't get hurt in game 5 and he may have won several titles if he had been allowed to go to the Lakers.

If wishes for horses.  But yeah, he should score more.  Even now, but definitely earlier.

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

My point was that young Shaq would be just as dominate now, but he would age faster and likely decline towards the end of seasons. My theory is that after five or six years Shaq would have been like an aging elite QB. One who dominates the first 8-12 weeks, but slowly declines after that and is a shell of himself once we're deep into the playoffs. 

I disagree with this, like, diametrically.  If Shaq came up now his ability to be that quick at such size would be emphasized rather than his innate ability to overpower everybody.  Which means he would not have relied on strength in terms of training, which means he'd probably be skinnier and healthier over the course of his career.

6 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Relic's older than that.

Have you started shaving yet? 

fuck off, im 37. 

so technically, you're right. but fuck off anyway. 

::goes to cry

3 hours ago, DMC said:

True story, i started using the name Relic online because i loved the genji glove in Final Fantasy 6. I later claimed i took the name because I'm an old soul, or something pretentious like that, but its really cuz im a fucking dork, just like the rest of y'all. :P

23 minutes ago, DMC said:

Actually my understanding of his career, and if you look it up, is he started as a pure 1 and then evolved into more of a point forward.

Arg, stop chopping everything up. That's for Kal. Reading your guys arguments can be like a six year old walking into their parents bedroom and asking "Why are you guys wrestling without clothes and why is mommy making those noises?"

Anyways, I'll take you at your word, but this seems odd. His rebounding totals were really high in the beginning than dropped a lot after his first few seasons. That doesn't mean you're not right, but it seems odd.

And yeah, like you I went and bought the books after the third season. I stumbled onto the show just before it started.

Still don't know how everyone didn't see R+L=J after reading the Tower of Joy section of AGoT.

Archived