NBA 2019 - Now the Joy in My World is in Zion

Relic

24 minutes ago, DMC said:

I disagree with this, like, diametrically.  If Shaq came up now his ability to be that quick at such size would be emphasized rather than his innate ability to overpower everybody.  Which means he would not have relied on strength in terms of training, which means he'd probably be skinnier and healthier over the course of his career.

But the accusation was that he didn't train hard, and really that's the key point. If he did go all out with his training, you'd be absolutely correct. But we don't know if he would have and what little evidence we do have suggests that he wouldn't, or at least wouldn't have if he had success without training. People often forget that Jordan didn't become Jordan until he really hit the weights. The Pistons were beating him up and he had to change something. He got a lot stronger and became the GOAT.

20 minutes ago, Relic said:

fuck off, im 37. 

so technically, you're right. but fuck off anyway. 

::goes to cry

Damn I thought you said you left the corporate world to travel at 30 and that was only a few years back. How time flies.

If it makes you feel better, I think you're still younger than old man @Jaime L

5 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Arg, stop chopping everything up. That's for Kal. Reading your guys arguments can be like a six year old walking into their parents bedroom and asking "Why are you guys wrestling without clothes and why is mommy making those noises?"

I dunno, it's the most convenient way for me to have conversations - even before I started smoking weed again it was a useful reminder for what point I was discussing.  As for my arguments with Kal, I wouldn't suggest anyone read those.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

His rebounding totals were really high in the beginning than dropped a lot after his first few seasons. That doesn't mean you're not right, but it seems odd.

I'm definitely not sure I'm right, to be clear.  Any of my knowledge is based on a very small sample, and I don't think you can infer that type of thing from looking at his stats.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

But the accusation was that he didn't train hard

That's the thing though.  I don't know nor care if he went "all out" with training, but it's rather dubious to claim Shaq wouldn't have adapted if under certain circumstances.  I completely reject the premise that any of the top 50 players ever is lazy to such a degree.

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

People often forget that Jordan didn't become Jordan until he really hit the weights.

Psh.  Jordan didn't unlock some key by "hitting the weights."  That's ridiculous.

45 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah that'd be me.  Bought the books, like, the day after I watched "Baelor" and read them all within a week.  The ADWD came out and I remember reading that in, like, 60 hours. 

Slacker. :bs:  (for me that is the "Bronn Stone" flag)

Done in 32 hours.  8 of which I slept (hours 19-27).
And back in the DAY, when ASOS came out in the UK 8 weeks before in the US, the copy I air-freighted over from amazon.co.uk was done in about 20.  Still have that ugly-cover POS (plus the personalized autographed US edition).

Edit:  On topic - a quote from Psalm 84:5  "Blessed are those whose strength is in you, in whose heart are the highways to Zion. "

1 minute ago, DMC said:

That's the thing though.  I don't know nor care if he went "all out" with training, but it's rather dubious to claim Shaq wouldn't have adapted if under certain circumstances.  I completely reject the premise that any of the top 50 players ever is lazy to such a degree.

I gotta run, but I'll address this quick. 99% of the time you're right, but every now and then an athlete comes along who doesn't train or train much and yet is still amazing. Bo Jackson is the best example. He says he trains way more today than he ever did when he was an athlete. 

Psh.  Jordan didn't unlock some key by "hitting the weights."  That's ridiculous.

ESPN did a really good 30 for 30 on the Pistons, and in it they discussed how Jordan was getting beat up and was struggling. It specifically pointed out that Jordan changed how he train and really got into weightlifting to increase his strength so he could withstand them hitting him all the time. Thomas' injury obviously helped, as did Bird's and Magic retiring early, but getting a lot strong made him a better player.

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

ESPN did a really good 30 for 30 on the Pistons, and in it they discussed how Jordan was getting beat up and was struggling. It specifically pointed out that Jordan changed how he train and really got into weightlifting to increase his strength so he could withstand them hitting him all the time. Thomas' injury obviously helped, as did Bird's and Magic retiring early, but getting a lot strong made him a better player.

I don't question this was on a 30 for 30.  I just think it's apocryphal.  Which is like the point of 30 for 30.

34 minutes ago, Relic said:

fuck off, im 37. 

so technically, you're right. but fuck off anyway. 

::goes to cry

Did you start posting on here at age 16? Feel like you preceded the board itself :P

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Damn I thought you said you left the corporate world to travel at 30 and that was only a few years back. How time flies.

If it makes you feel better, I think you're still younger than old man @Jaime L

Correct, I'm 38. Aging like a fine wine, friendo. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah that'd be me.  Bought the books, like, the day after I watched "Baelor" and read them all within a week. 

I was similar, except I saw the ads for the show a few months before release, thought it looked cool, found out it was based on a book series, and dove into that immediately and plowed through the whole series (Dance wasn't out yet at that point if I recall correctly) in about two weeks.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I was similar, except I saw the ads for the show a few months before release, thought it looked cool, found out it was based on a book series, and dove into that immediately and plowed through the whole series (Dance wasn't out yet at that point if I recall correctly) in about two weeks.

Yeah I remember the first time I saw the trailer on HBO.  I was like, "wtf is that, looks interesting," so I made sure to watch the show when it started.  Didn't really commit to it, however, until Baelor.  At that point I had looked up and knew what was supposed to happen, but was still wondering if they had the balls to do it.

Just now, DMC said:

Yeah I remember the first time I saw the trailer on HBO.  I was like, "wtf is that, looks interesting," so I made sure to watch the show when it started.  Didn't really commit to it, however, until Baelor.  At that point I had looked up and knew what was supposed to happen, but was still wondering if they had the balls to do it.

I had a buddy I used to play Team Fortress 2 with who recommended the series to me as well when I brought up the trailer for the show.  He was the first person I talked theories and stuff with.

1 minute ago, briantw said:

I had a buddy I used to play Team Fortress 2 with who recommended the series to me as well when I brought up the trailer for the show.  He was the first person I talked theories and stuff with.

Sounds similar - the guy that encouraged me/introduced me to the theories was an online friend too, none of my real life friends knew anything about it.

45 minutes ago, briantw said:

Found this forum first, looking for theories on The First Law series.  I was arguing on the NFL thread before I had ever read the books. 

Also how is everyone on this thread in their upper 30's?  I am not comfortable talking with my own age group.

18 minutes ago, SkynJay said:

Also how is everyone on this thread in their upper 30's?  I am not comfortable talking with my own age group.

HEY!  I'm in my lower thirties.  And I need to grasp on to that difference.

22 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Did you start posting on here at age 16? Feel like you preceded the board itself :P

Pretty much. Found a version of this board right before aCoK was released. At this point the only person who has been here longer than me, as far as i know, is...Ran? Trebla? 

On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 5:59 PM, DMC said:

I don't question this was on a 30 for 30.  I just think it's apocryphal.  Which is like the point of 30 for 30.

Does this change your opinion?

Of all the stories told and sold of Michael Jordan’s almost unrealistic stature and legacy, this is the one least traveled. The story of his transformation. The one that began as his counterattack to the “Jordan Rules” the Detroit Pistons implemented as their Hank Schrader to his Walter White.

In the beginning it was all about him. He created a ritual. Treated it like a religion. A congregation of one. Jordan, personal trainer Tim Grover and Jordan’s personal chef in the full service workout facility that was the basement at Jordan’s house, created a unique, specifically targeted strength and endurance training program designed to give Mike the power to go through the Pistons, not just defeat them.

“Every time I used to see the late, great Chuck Daley (Piston’s coach) I’d thank him,” Grover said. “The first time I did that he asked, ‘For what?’ And I told him, ‘Because of you I had the greatest job in the world.’” That of being the one responsible for putting in place physical and psychological goals built around strength and endurance —both physical and mental — that scientifically pushed Jordan to limits beyond any athlete the game of basketball had ever taken their bodies.

Grover further emphasized, “Michael’s mentality was, ‘Not only do I want to be able to take the physical pounding that the Pistons are dishing out but I also want to be able to give some of it back to them.’”

Historically, by many, it is considered the first start of athletes really taking strength and conditioning to a different level. And it wasn’t just about the physical, it was Jordan and his crew knowing that if they were physically stronger and better conditioned than everybody else it gave them an edge mentally and psychologically to do things at the same level and intensity in the fourth quarter of games and in overtime as they did in the first. If not better.

The Pistons were kicking Jordan's ass, he bulked up, and boom, became the first basketball Super Saiyan.

Archived