NBA 2019 - Now the Joy in My World is in Zion

Relic

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

All Toronto teams are cursed, it is known.

Minnesota based sports teams would like a word, BIRD!

I mean hell, one of the two most storied franchise in the NBA was taken from us. THEY DON'T HAVING F(#*$&G LAKES IN L.A.!!!!!!

Seriously, half the youth teams in Minneapolis are named the Lakers. Tonight I'll go to Lakers South 6 verses Lakers North West secondary team B. 

6 hours ago, DMC said:

Again - there is no statistical evidence that "he took his game to another level," even in the playoffs.  And while I was 5 and 6 during the two playoffs in question and don't really remember those specifically, I do distinctly remember the next two years of his first three-peat.  And there's simply no reason to think any significant improvement on Jordan's part was because he got stronger.

In the article they also talked about how the weight lifting helped him mentally too. Look, I get the argument you're making and it has some validity to it, but it is true that he adjusted his training just before he started to win titles. As you say there were other factors at play, but so is the one I'm citing. I tried to see if his fourth quarter performances got better with time, but couldn't find anything worth using. One advantage strength and conditioning gives you is that your legs stay fresher, and that logically would help in the fourth. Once your legs go, your shot goes too.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

As you say there were other factors at play, but so is the one I'm citing.

I gave a pretty in depth look statistically based on your assertion, and I did not find anything.  Based on what I've seen and tape of Jordan, it doesn't follow either.  So yeah, your contention has no validity to me, and never will.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Minnesota based sports teams would like a word, BIRD!

I mean hell, one of the two most storied franchise in the NBA was taken from us. THEY DON'T HAVING F(#*$&G LAKES IN L.A.!!!!!!

And then the NBA gave you an equally storied franchise a mere 30 years later. Besides the 11 titles, can you really even tell the difference at this point? 

Regardless, the name issue still isn't as egregious as a team called the "Jazz" moving to Utah. 

1 hour ago, Jaime L said:

Regardless, the name issue still isn't as egregious as a team called the "Jazz" moving to Utah. 

I don't know what you're talking about.  I've been to Salt Lake to grade AP exams the past few summers, and the Mormons are all about Jazz.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't know what you're talking about.  I've been to Salt Lake to grade AP exams the past few summers, and the Mormons are all about Jazz.

You know the Jazz moved from New Orleans, right? It originated in African-American communities there. I mean there might be a whiter city that team could've moved to, but I can't think of one.

19 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I mean there might be a whiter city that team could've moved to, but I can't think of one.

I don't like doing /s or, even worse, the sarcasm text.  But this would be a perfect example of why I should.

3 hours ago, Jaime L said:

This holds up amazingly well for a shitty comedy made decades ago.

1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

Its been bothering me for awhile, but why do you guys use "dominate team" instead of "dominant team"? Isn't dominate used as an action (verb) rather than a description (adjective)? 

Because I don't care about grammar when I'm posting on internet forums.  I think you're right though.  Should have said dominant a few times when I said dominate.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

Because I don't care about grammar when I'm posting on internet forums.  I think you're right though.  Should have said dominant a few times when I said dominate.

Its not just one person or just this thread though, I've been seeing it frequently enough that it made me wonder whether there was a usage that I didn't know of or if there was an auto correct error from people posting from their phones. It is kind of jarring to read, but its not a big deal. I'm asking because I was curious and was starting to doubt myself.

7 hours ago, Proudfeet said:

Its not just one person or just this thread though, I've been seeing it frequently enough that it made me wonder whether there was a usage that I didn't know of or if there was an auto correct error from people posting from their phones. It is kind of jarring to read, but its not a big deal. I'm asking because I was curious and was starting to doubt myself.

I'm there with you. Seems like a pretty common error, and I grind my teeth for a second every time I see it, but I'll generously chalk it up to autocorrect. 

It’s a shame that the Wolves have had such a disappointing and chaotic season. Towns has quietly become one of the NBA’s best players. His stat lines since the All-Star break have been insane and he’s become a good, or at least decent, defender. But the team is a mess, everyone has been hurt all year, the Butler situation speaks for itself, and as much as I hate to admit it, Wiggins is not going to be a star. He simply lacks the focus to be consistent, and watching him flash greatness is so frustrating, because it’s just that, a flash.   

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm there with you. Seems like a pretty common error, and I grind my teeth for a second every time I see it, but I'll generously chalk it up to autocorrect. 

It was a meme to incorrectly use the verb on a sports board I read ages ago before the word Meme had coalesced into its present form. I'm not sure why so many sports fans swap the verb and adjective, but it's definitely one of the most prevalent simple errors I know of. I'm sure other common spelling errors are mostly eliminated by autocorrect, but obviously this one along with the eternal your/you're level stuff won't be fixed by that any time soon. 

17 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Kris Humphries retired and wrote this letter. It's an interesting read.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kris-humphries-i-never-wanted-to-be-that-guy

Didn't he retire already? Anyways, he grew up right by me. I wonder which lake he was talking about.

:rolleyes:

Archived