NBA 2019 - Now the Joy in My World is in Zion

Relic

5 hours ago, Relic said:

Lou Williams...what a stud. Dude is an assassin. 

I turned the game on for the final 5 minutes when I heard the Clippers had come back from 31 down. Lou Williams just was like a mini Harden out there, making shot after shot over Draymond/Klay, finding the open guys, and singlehandedly outdueled Steph down the stretch. NBD.

The final two months of the NBA regular season were interminable. But goddamn I love playoff basketball. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

If that's a massive contusion I feel like we have to make up a new word for massive contusion.

Yeah, i mean...its the only other thing it could potentially be, maybe the lighting or something makes it look bigger in that photo, but otherwise, yeah, looks like a 3rd degree tear of the quadriceps tendon. 

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why? He and Ayton would make one hell of a front court.

The only reason I don’t want him in Cleveland is because he’s so comparable to LeBron. That’s too much pressure to put on a kid.

I just really, really dislike Robert Sarver basically. I don't think there's any owner/reality disconnect worse than his and the state of the team he makes money off, and I lived in New York City for eight years hearing about Dolan. If you swapped those two franchises' locations, Sarver would be loathed in NYC more-so even than Dolan, and perhaps more national media would give attention to just how damaging he's been to the franchise. It's fascinating to read just how bad he is, but avoids a lot of national media attention. A friend of mine lives in Flagstaff and says he's like public enemy #1 for just about any Arizonan who watches sports.

ESPN Article bagging on Sarver's douchebaggery

SI doing the same

Petition to force him to sell

Regarding Cleveland, I suppose I'm just selfishly tired of them getting four #1 picks in 11 years and generally just Cleveland-ing up the whole thing. I definitely agree on the LeBron's shadow thing as well.

A real shame about Boogie's injury, he did so well to come back from the Achiles tear and was so happy to be playing in his first playoffs.

Anyway, I am starting to feel pretty good about my bet on the Rockets to win it all. The Warriors chemistry seems much worse than ever before in the Curry era, and the way they were abused while trying to defend Lou Williams and Montrezl Harrell's pick and roll doesn't bode well for them against Harden and Capela's duo.

Also, Lou Williams should get a new agent unless he has agreed on some additional under the table payments, he is way underpaid.

2 hours ago, Relic said:

Yeah, i mean...its the only other thing it could potentially be, maybe the lighting or something makes it look bigger in that photo, but otherwise, yeah, looks like a 3rd degree tear of the quadriceps tendon. 

Yeah.  Blown tendon was my thought when I saw the picture last night.

Hate that for Boogie.  He bet on himself this year and had a chance to finally play for a winner... and then another freak injury.

The Magic lost their magic.  I think it could get interesting next year - especially with Fultz - but only if they resign Vucevic.  Which I'm not sure they're gonna do.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

The Magic lost their magic.  I think it could get interesting next year - especially with Fultz - but only if they resign Vucevic.  Which I'm not sure they're gonna do.

I wouldnt resign that guy. They have other, cheaper, options. Develop the young guys IMHO. 

Looks like its a return to the mean for all teams involved, other than OKC which looks pretty damn bad thus far. Oh well, would have been good to see them face GS. 

16 minutes ago, Relic said:

I wouldnt resign that guy. They have other, cheaper, options. Develop the young guys IMHO. 

I dunno.  Bamba is the obvious replacement, but there's plenty of minutes for him, Vuc, Isaac, and Gordon in the frontcourt.  They'd be a pretty damn unique team in that way, and if they can find a way to be competitive with Augustine and Fultz, that'd be pretty fun to watch.  Although, again, yeah I preferred they sucked more this season and had a chance at the top three - I really like Morant and Barrett beyond Zion.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I dunno.  Bamba is the obvious replacement, but there's plenty of minutes for him, Vuc, Isaac, and Gordon in the frontcourt.  They'd be a pretty damn unique team in that way, and if they can find a way to be competitive with Augustine and Fultz, that'd be pretty fun to watch.  Although, again, yeah I preferred they sucked more this season and had a chance at the top three - I really like Morant and Barrett beyond Zion.

would you feel the same way if they took the Raps to 7?

4 hours ago, Relic said:

would you feel the same way if they took the Raps to 7?

Yes.  I'd feel the same way unless they made the EC finals.  Well, my head would.  My heart would totally be in it, as would game 7 against the Raps.  Both are very unlikely to happen though.

4 hours ago, DMC said:

The Magic have to be the weirdest roster in the league. It's all giant, young athletic guys still learning how to play the game and journeymen vets playing the best they ever have in their career. Am I crazy or are their 4 most talented players all PF/C types at a time everyone else is going smaller? And then throw Markelle Fultz in the mix just to make things spicy. 

Even watching them win game 1, I'm still not entirely sure how this all works. I guess I could see them rallying around DJ Augustin playing out of his mind and their one all-star Vuc allowing them to shock the world. 

*checks stats and sees Vuc has a 4.7 PER in the playoffs*

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

10 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Am I crazy or are their 4 most talented players all PF/C types at a time everyone else is going smaller? And then throw Markelle Fultz in the mix just to make things spicy. 

Not crazy at all.  And yeah I kind of like it, even if (or maybe because) it's weird.

31 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

The Magic have to be the weirdest roster in the league. It's all giant, young athletic guys still learning how to play the game and journeymen vets playing the best they ever have in their career. Am I crazy or are their 4 most talented players all PF/C types at a time everyone else is going smaller? And then throw Markelle Fultz in the mix just to make things spicy.

It's not the worst idea.  If the entire league is going towards positional versatility in order to facilitate defensive switches and offensive spacing, then going against the grain means that you can find guys on the cheap who's skill set is less valued.  And if the Magic dared to play lineups with three PF/C types for extended minutes, it's quite possible they could wear down and bully more talented squads in a 7 game series.  It's similar to what Memphis did during the Gasol/Randolph years. 

The downside of this strategy is whether they can compete defensively against smaller quicker teams or if they just give up a bunch of open 3s. 

So Cousins "only" tore his left quad. Its amazing that the bulge we saw was caused by one rolled up muscle, just goes to show the incredible physical difference between NBA players and mere mortals. Either way, he's done for the season. Sucks for him, but you also have to wonder if he doesnt bring negativity upon himself with his horrible attitude. 

1 hour ago, Relic said:

So Cousins "only" tore his left quad. Its amazing that the bulge we saw was caused by one rolled up muscle, just goes to show the incredible physical difference between NBA players and mere mortals. Either way, he's done for the season. Sucks for him, but you also have to wonder if he doesnt bring negativity upon himself with his horrible attitude. 

What? He may be impulsive and maybe a little short tempered, but he seems good enough otherwise, certainly not I would call horrible. Childish or immature maybe. Not sure where you are coming from.

1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

What? He may be impulsive and maybe a little short tempered, but he seems good enough otherwise, certainly not I would call horrible. Childish or immature maybe. Not sure where you are coming from.

???

He has one of the shittiest on court attitudes ive ever seen in a professional player. His perma-scowl, his constant barking, his ability to get offended by every fucking thing. Are we watching the same player?

19 minutes ago, Relic said:

???

He has one of the shittiest on court attitudes ive ever seen in a professional player. His perma-scowl, his constant barking, his ability to get offended by every fucking thing. Are we watching the same player?

I think the average NBA player is an Oscar calibre actor at being incredulous. Is he consistently worse than average? Sure. Is he significantly worse? No. 

I don't watch that much basketball, but I've already seen the same from Westbrook, LeBron, Durant. And even Curry is reported to have thrown his mouthpiece into the audience.

Edit - Not sure what that has to do with the injury anyway? Karma?

1 hour ago, Proudfeet said:

I think the average NBA player is an Oscar calibre actor at being incredulous. Is he consistently worse than average? Sure. Is he significantly worse? No. 

I don't watch that much basketball, but I've already seen the same from Westbrook, LeBron, Durant. And even Curry is reported to have thrown his mouthpiece into the audience.

Nah, Cousins does it in every single game, all the time, since he joined the league. His negativity has been the focal point of many articles, and debates. He's the new Rasheed Wallace, except he never fucking smiles and always looks like he's smelled a fart. Apparently the guy is a decent dude off the court, but on court he's a cancer, or has been until this season. 

2 minutes ago, Relic said:

Nah, Cousins does it in every single game, all the time, since he joined the league. His negativity has been the focal point of many articles, and debates. He's the new Rasheed Wallace, except he never fucking smiles and always looks like he's smelled a fart. Apparently the guy is a decent dude off the court, but on court he's a cancer, or has been until this season. 

I don't think I actually disagree with you. I just don't think it is as big a deal as you do. 

Archived