Who is the 3EC?

kissdbyfire

I’ve voted n all the polls out there. There hasn’t been a new poll in like... 24hrs! :D

And polls can be fun and easy on the mushy brain. 

Bonus: if you have a mean streak (in the nicest way possible, of course), they’re also a good way to have people’s opinios on “X” all bundled together. Easier than saving a gazillion links to posts, w/ the NtS, “reply when Winds is out”. :smoking:

So... Who is the 3EC?

Kicking it off with: Brynden “Bloodraven” Rivers. 

Have fun, and play nice. :cheers:

I don't have difficulty poking fun of meself.  So, I will flap my trap a bit.

First read I had no idea who Bran's three eyed crow was/is.

After reading this site (looking for information on the Eddard baby momma drama) I discovered martin wrote some short stories.

I scoured the public library to find the anthologies the story's were included in.

Comparing what I read in the short story's to Bran's chapters in DwD I came to an :idea:.  Bran's 3EC is Bloodraven aka BR/Brynden Rivers.

Other than the short story's (later combined into "Knight of the Seven Kingdoms") I would not have an opinion.

My hope is to one day find out how the LC of the NW ended up in the cave of the CotF. :drool:

Me personally, I think without the short stories there is not enough information in the five books to come to that conclusion.

Edit:       Feast for Crows - Samwell II     "Bloodraven?" said Dareon. "I know a song about him. 'A Thousand Eyes, and One,' it's called. But I thought he lived a hundred years ago."

A thousand eyes and one often mentioned in the short story's now the KotSK.

I'm pretty 50-50 over this. I think there are good clues indicating Bloodraven is not the three eyed crow and I like the story implications of what that would mean. But unlike the best theories, all of the clues can be just as soundly argued against and I'm not sure there is room in the remaining story to run with a major plot twist in this area. 

It is much less absurd than some of these other polls at the moment though. 

Bloodraven is the person Bran meets in the cave.

The 3EC, as Bran understands that concept, appears to be a different entity, though.  Some points to consider:

"Are you the three-eyed crow?" Bran heard himself say. ...

"A … crow?" The pale lord's voice was dry. His lips moved slowly, as if they had forgotten how to form words. "Once, aye. Black of garb and black of blood."

Here Bloodraven shows no comprehension of what he has just been asked at all.

There is also this rather suggestive passage in ACOK:

And there's dreams where the crow comes and tells me to fly. Sometimes the tree is in those dreams too, calling my name.

Which of these two entities, both of which turn up in Bran's dreams, is Bloodraven? 

I think it's the tree; in fact, I think greenseers in general appear as trees in dreams -- because they are using the weirnet to communicate.  And that is why Bran also appears as a tree in Jon's dream, later in ACOK (and does not appears as a crow).

This reading is backed up by:

On this night he dreamed of the weirwood. It was looking at him with its deep red eyes, calling to him with its twisted wooden mouth, and from its pale branches the three-eyed crow came flapping, pecking at his face and crying his name in a voice as sharp as swords.

Here, again, we see two entities: (1) the weirwood, which is calling to him, and (2) the crow, which seems to be logically related to the 3EC and yet obviously not the same thing.

Finally, there's the general tone and nature of the dialogue in the original coma dream with the 3EC, which features passages like this:

Bran looked around to see where it was coming from. A crow was spiraling down with him, just out of reach, following him as he fell. "Help me," he said.

I'm trying, the crow replied. Say, got any corn?

This flip response really does not sound anything at all like Bloodraven as he appears in ADWD.   I also note this:

That won't do any good, the crow said. I told you, the answer is flying, not crying. How hard can it be. I'm doing it. The crow took to the air and flapped around Bran's hand.

"You have wings," Bran pointed out.

Here we learn the 3EC is perfectly aware that it is flying, and that it has wings.  So it knows how it appears to Bran in dreams.

This evident knowledge makes it much harder to understand why Bloodraven would totally fail to understand the question "Are you the three-eyed crow?" that Bran asks him, and would instead bring up the Watch.

As to exactly who or what the 3EC is... well, that will have to wait for a future book, I fear.

1 hour ago, Aurane said:

I think that the 3EC is Bloodraven, but I'm curious to see what the other theories are.

Basically, "the 3EC is [insert any character]", from Old Nan, to Shiera Seastar, to Bran himself... and there's many more.

1 hour ago, Aline de Gavrillac said:

The number three has a very strong connection to Daenerys Targaryen and a weak connection to Bran Stark.

I have no idea what this means. 

The 3 eyed raven is a thing of the weirwoods and northern lore the abomination invented. It is not an Eastern myth.  Therefore, I will have to say it is connected to Bran.  Brynden Rivers.  

FTFY

@JNR, I have seen the passages you quoted being used to show why the 3EC =/= BR. I disagree w/ this interpretation, but it's late now and a proper reply will have to wait. 

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

I’ve voted n all the polls out there. There hasn’t been a new poll in like... 24hrs! :D

And polls can be fun and easy on the mushy brain. 

Bonus: if you have a mean streak (in the nicest way possible, of course), they’re also a good way to have people’s opinios on “X” all bundled together. Easier than saving a gazillion links to posts, w/ the NtS, “reply when Winds is out”. :smoking:

So... Who is the 3EC?

Kicking it off with: Brynden “Bloodraven” Rivers. 

Have fun, and play nice. :cheers:

the question shouldn't be who is the three eyed crow, It should be, is Brynden Rivers Really Bloodraven? ............

I dont see Bloodraven being the three eyed crow. It would be too simple and straightforward in my opinion. Also George always clearly made the distinction between ravens and crows. I think that the three eyed crow may be the great other in a certain form, who has also contacted Euron. This is just a thought. 

Archived