Who is the 3EC?

kissdbyfire

34 minutes ago, Clegane'sPup said:

I understand why others may not agree with my opinion.

What I did was supply information. Granted the information may be overlooked or ignored. What I did not do was become "holier than thou" and simply bang my gavel down.

Thanks.

Cool!  I think we're largely in agreement then.  I, too, understand and fully accept that people may not agree with my opinion (and while I'm quite confident in my opinion that TEC is Bloodraven I also understand that it's not "canon").  Thus, if it seemed like I was "banging my gavel down", that's certainly not my intent.

I tend to think that Bloodraven is NOT the 3-eyed crow, and in any event, I'm pretty sure he is not a nice guy.  If I were to hazard a guess at who IS the 3-eyed crow, I would guess Benjen Stark, as I prefer to solve 2 mysteries at once whenever possible.  This would mean that Coldhands is not Benjen.  I'm not hugely committed to these ideas.

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

That has been established already, we know Coldhands isn’t Benjen. 

Well, that's always been my opinion.  But I don't believe in playing detective with unpublished manuscripts.   If it's not addressed to us, then we have not been lied to, even if it is false.

At times it seems you get to feel as though 'the tree man' who I believe is Bloodraven, is one person, then at other times, I feel as though he is another. Is it possible someone is using him? I'm not sure how to explain, but will try: 

It kind of reminds me of a party line: When you (Bloodraven) think you are having a private conversation with someone (Bran), and then find out another person is on the line - listening to the call. Is that listener (3 eyed crow) then able to make Bran believe he is (Bloodraven)? Not sure if that makes any sense at all. 
caller: Bloodraven to called (Bran) listened by 3EC

X contacts Y, but Z takes over the call by muting X

I swear if this ends up being an 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' kind of thing, I am truly going to be disappointed. No Aliens please!

BUT, then there is the whole thing going on where Sam/Gilly end up getting surrounded by wights and RAVENS are seen and along comes Coldhands riding an elk.

Ravens are the good guys and crows are the bad guys?? IDK, I feel so darn lost sometimes in this story.  

23 minutes ago, Wolfkin said:

At times it seems you get to feel as though 'the tree man' who I believe is Bloodraven, is one person, then at other times, I feel as though he is another. Is it possible someone is using him? I'm not sure how to explain, but will try: 

It kind of reminds me of a party line: When you (Bloodraven) think you are having a private conversation with someone (Bran), and then find out another person is on the line - listening to the call. Is that listener (3 eyed crow) then able to make Bran believe he is (Bloodraven)? Not sure if that makes any sense at all. 
caller: Bloodraven to called (Bran) listened by 3EC

I think maybe part of it is because of how those scenes are written. In other words, they are written in a way to not make things crystal clear. 

I swear if this ends up being an 'Invasion of the Body Snatchers' kind of thing, I am truly going to be disappointed. No Aliens please!

Hear, hear. 

But yeah, there’s nothing in the story that points to any of that IMO, and I feel it’d be too late to introduce these elements now. Not that that has stopped people from going there... spaceships and aliens and all the time travel and manipulation of evens that basically negates the difficult choices the characters have to make. 

BUT, then there is the whole thing going on where Sam/Gilly end up getting surrounded by wights and RAVENS are seen and along comes Coldhands riding an elk.

Ravens are the good guys and crows are the bad guys?? IDK, I feel so darn lost sometimes in this story.  

Are they? ;)

5 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Are they? ;)

That's just it. Throughout the story, you don't know who good and who is bad. Always that inevitable 'grey' area.
Night's Watch are called crows as well, but you believe they are suppose to be the good guys. 
Choices. It comes down to choices.
George is one shady character! 

3 minutes ago, Wolfkin said:

That's just it. Throughout the story, you don't know who good and who is bad. Always that inevitable 'grey' area.

The “who is good, who is evil” will come down to the individuals, not groups/families/cultures/institutions. IMO.

Night's Watch are called crows as well, but you believe they are suppose to be the good guys. 

Well, Martin did say he had the good guys dressed in black. :)

Choices. It comes down to choices.
George is one shady character! 

Always.

Not as well versed in the novels as most of you - only just finished a second re-read which lead me to searching out this site, but my reading of it has always been that Bran is the 3EC. Not in a time-traveling sense per se, but rather that the 3EC is a manifestation of his burgeoning greenseeing ability or his subconscious/inner voice if you will. (Although, if you accept that his abilities exist outside of linear time, then I guess you could argue that there's a time traveling element in some sense)

I think it's clear that the crow's third eye and the pecking at Bran's forehead to open his third eye alludes to 'psychic' abilities and their awakening in Bran. The fact that it takes the form of a crow would appear to be a direct call back to the story Old Nan told Bran about the boy falling from the tower and the crows pecking his eyes out and I don't think that imagery would have come from anywhere other than Bran's own mind. My reading has always been that  the imperative to go beyond The Wall to find the 3EC is not a quest to find a specific person but rather a journey of self discovery. Bran needs to end up in the cave with Bloodraven/CoTF in order to meet his potential and to fully become the 3EC.

13 minutes ago, Jô Maltese said:

Are you aware that Ran himself confirmed the 3EC was Brynden Rivers, aka Bloodraven?

That's in the TV-show. They are talking about GOT TV-show season 4, and in the show Bloodraven was called the Three-eyed Raven, not the Three-eyed Crow, so it's another prove, that in ASOIAF-books and in GOT TV-show, those are two different people - the 3EC and the 3ER. The 3EC didn't even exist in the TV-show, that's because Shiera Seastar, who is the 3EC in the books, didn't exist in the TV-show.

6 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, since that bit of info is found n the Dance manuscript and Dance has been published...

It is not in the published manuscript, that was meant for us.  We are basically like eavesdroppers, overhearing a conversation not addressed to us.  If it should turn out we have been misled, it is no-one's fault but our own.

3 hours ago, Megorova said:

That's in the TV-show. They are talking about GOT TV-show season 4, and in the show Bloodraven was called the Three-eyed Raven, not the Three-eyed Crow, so it's another prove, that in ASOIAF-books and in GOT TV-show, those are two different people - the 3EC and the 3ER. The 3EC didn't even exist in the TV-show, that's because Shiera Seastar, who is the 3EC in the books, didn't exist in the TV-show.

No they 're not, not only. Watch again, around the 1 hour 32 minute mark, Elio Ran is saying that GRRM always knew that the Three-Eyed Crow would be tied to the Targaryens, maybe not necessarily who, but that there'd be a connection to the Targs and then decided to go for BR to connect the dots with the D&E novellas (A thousand eyes and one).

Also marked as *confirmed* in the Compendium of theories on this Forum... :rolleyes:

8 minutes ago, Jô Maltese said:

Also marked as *confirmed* in the Compendium of theories on this Forum... :rolleyes:

If it isn't "confirmed" by GRRM, then it is not confirmed.

Prior to the release of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, there arose a theory that Bloodraven was the 3-eyed crow.  I don't recall what the theory was based on, but it was out there.

After ADWD was released, these people obviously felt that their theory had been 'confirmed".  That is what the "Compendium of Theories" is referring to.  But these people have no special inside information. 

17 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

If it isn't "confirmed" by GRRM, then it is not confirmed.

Prior to the release of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, there arose a theory that Bloodraven was the 3-eyed crow.  I don't recall what the theory was based on, but it was out there.

After ADWD was released, these people obviously felt that their theory had been 'confirmed".  That is what the "Compendium of Theories" is referring to.  But these people have no special inside information. 

Ran has. End of thread.

Archived