Poll: Is Quentyn, Called 'Frog', Still Alive?

Platypus Rex

This is a poll.  Please answer "Yes" or "No" to the following question:

Is the guy we know as Quentyn Martell, called 'Frog', still alive at the close of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS?

For context, a certain theory holds that the burnt-beyond-recognition man who died on Dany's bed in Barristan's chapter in A DANCE WITH DRAGONS was not in fact Quentyn, but another member of the Windblown team that invaded the dragon pit alongside Quentyn, Archie and Gerris.  More specifically, it has been suggested that the dying burnt man was actually the Tattered Prince, who earlier told Quentyn he likes to move around incognito.  Per the theory, "Frog" actually survived his encounter with Rhaegal, and is now (perhaps) spending quality time with his new buddy Viserion in an abandoned pyramid.

That's probably enough context for now.  While the Compendium of Theories refuses to give this one the time of day, you can nonetheless find several threads on this theory in this forum going back as early as 2012.  Also, Preston Jacobs did a youtube video on his version of the theory in 2015.

To those wondering why I worded the question precisely as I did, it is because there are actually two theories that could be called "Quentyn is Alive".  Another, even older, theory held that our "Frog" is not the real Quentyn, but rather a changeling that Doran sent to the Yronwoods, at an early age, in place of his real son, who is presumably still alive elsewhere.  But even of you believe that theory is correct, it is not the subject of this poll.  This poll is about the Quentyn we know - the one from A DANCE WITH DRAGONS - whose final point-of-view chapter in DANCE ended with him starting to scream.

Please feel free to give reasons for your answer.  However, I again ask that you refrain from arguing with reasons given by other posters until at least the 3rd page of this thread.  After that, have at it.

Thanks in advance for all votes.

I am tallying votes as we go.  However, please say what you really think, and never mind the tally.  Remember, boys and girls, just because it is unpopular, does not mean it is not true!

2 for to 46 against, so far.

For:  SophiaWilson17, Tucu and (not counted) Platypus Rex.

Against:  Rufus Snow, Ibbison from Ibben, TPTWP Timmett, zandru, bent branch, Nevets, Back door hodor, Morte, Euron III Greyjoy, Legitimate_Bastard, Vaith, Annalee, Dorian Martell's son, Daemon the Black Dragon, BalerionTheCat, kissdbyfire, SFDanny, Gertrude, Lollygag, Aurane, Marcelowww, Missing Benjen, OtherFromAnotherMother, Wolfkin, White Ravens, 867-5309, The Fattest Leech, MarraOfChaos, MagicPen, rotting sea cow, Amris, Leo of House Cartel, Impbread Wm Portnoy, JNR, Lady Anna,, flaydagawd, Frey family reunion, Springwatch, Alexis-something-Rose, kleevedge, Remiem, Tour de Force, Rose of Red Lake, Karneol, Plain Simple Tailor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------X

Previous "Unpopular Theory" Polls (in order of popularity):

"Did Jojen Die Off-Page in DANCE?"*:  15 for to 29 against (34.1%).  Supported by  Gertrude, chrisdaw, WyldFyre, Penny's Got a Gun, Megavora, Back door hodor, Lost Melnibonean, Tucu, acwill07, Ibbison from Ibben, Son of Man, Remiem, OtherFromAnotherMother, Lynesse, Jo Maltese.  

"Is the House with the Red Door in Dorne?"*:  8 in favor to 29 against (21.6%).  Supported by  TPTWP Timett, Sly Wren, Nezza86, Impbread, Sophia Wilson17, Sigella., Lollygag, Sweet Desire. 

"Did Summer See a Dragon?"*:  8 for to 35 against (16.3%).  Supported by:  Legitimate_Bastard, rustythesmith, TPTWP Timett, Remirem, kleevedge, Gertrude, Wolfkin, sweetsunray. 

"Is Jon Snow the Son of a Dayne":  6 for to 37 against (13.9%).  Supported by:   Sly Wren, Enuma Elish, Vaedys Targaryen, JS97, SophiaWilson17, kleevedge.

"Is Daario actually Euron?"*:  2 in favor to 40 against (2.4%).  Supported by: Adam Targaryen, Paltogue. 

To save space, I have only listed the names of the brave souls who supported each prior Unpopular Theory.  No disrespect to the Victorious Winners of the poll is intended.  The full tally of names of all voters can be found in the original threads.  While I do not county my own votes, those I support are marked with a "*".

Dragons may sometimes be victorious against dragonslayers, but frogs rarely survive frogslayers. Quentyn fell to Rhaegal, a frogslayer with bronze eyes and green scales.

Curiously, in Westeros there is a frogslayer with green eyes and bronze scales - Meera Reed. And the sigil of House Marsh is a field of gold with ten green frogs, 4-3-2-1.

Foreshadowing, perhaps?

Sure! That severely-burned young man who was rescued by his close friends and spent his last few days dying in terrible pain was ...Pretty Maris! No, it was Mance Rayder! Rhaegar Frey! er, Targaryen. It's obvious. Quentyn is water skiing on the Rhoyne, behind a giant tortoise.

1 hour ago, zandru said:

Sure! That severely-burned young man who was rescued by his close friends and spent his last few days dying in terrible pain was ...Pretty Maris! No, it was Mance Rayder! Rhaegar Frey! er, Targaryen. It's obvious. Quentyn is water skiing on the Rhoyne, behind a giant tortoise.

So, that's a "Yes", then?

No

2 hours ago, zandru said:

28 minutes ago, Platypus Rex said:

So, that's a "Yes", then?

I think it's actually NO, with a great big dose of sarcasm. :P

8 hours ago, Nevets said:

I think it's actually NO, with a great big dose of sarcasm. :P

Yes.  I did put him in the "No' column.

Perhaps there should be a special category for "I will eat my hat if this is true".  But the last person I asked about this declined to commit to eating his hat, or any other form of penance.

13 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Is the guy we know as Quentyn Martell, called 'Frog', still alive at the close of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS?

To use the often used phrase around here, "it's dangerous to play with fire."  No more is it more apropos than the case of this poor Frog.  He was sent on a mission with very little intel to go on.  Many incorrect assumptions were made by the Martells.  They assumed the Princess Daenerys only desired the restoration of her family when she really wanted to help the slaves.  The Martells were far from forthright and exaggerated the size of the Dornish forces.  

Quentyn died because his family sent him on a poorly planned and poorly executed mission.  He's dead.  I do not agree with Mr. Jacobs theory.  

49 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Impossible to say if he is alive or dead, but the body that Selmy sees in the Great Pyramid afterward is most definitely not Quentyn. You cannot see your whip, hand, all of you on fire if your eyes are melting.

You can see it before your eyes melt, and no, he is roasted to death in a horribly painful way 

56 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

Impossible to say if he is alive or dead, but the body that Selmy sees in the Great Pyramid afterward is most definitely not Quentyn. You cannot see your whip, hand, all of you on fire if your eyes are melting.

If you think the man Barristan saw die was not Quentyn, then I would imagine your vote belongs in the "Yes" column, however tentative that "Yes" may be.  That would seem to be the likely implication, and certainty is not required for any vote.  But if you object, I will remove it.  

Archived