Poll: Is Quentyn, Called 'Frog', Still Alive?

Platypus Rex

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:00 PM, kleevedge said:

Hmm i'm kind of in between on this one. While the Dornish all have Black hair and dark eyes, Quentyn has brown hair and brown eyes. "The seed is strong". He also has a broad nose, and a square jaw where Oberyn has a sharp nose. Quentyn doesn't seem to fit the traditional Dornish look. I'm open to the idea of the real Quentyn being in Norvos or Volantis but if I had to choose.

Quentyn is dead.

Thanks.

BTW, this poll is about Frog - the Quentyn we know.  So if you thought Frog was dead - but the 'real Quentyn" was alive elsewhere -- that would still be a "no" vote.

(The 'real Quentyn' is of course Young Griff; accompanied by his mother Mellario a/k/a Septa Lemore; who is of course a Blackfyre descendant).

5 hours ago, Platypus Rex said:

Thanks.

BTW, this poll is about Frog - the Quentyn we know.  So if you thought Frog was dead - but the 'real Quentyn" was alive elsewhere -- that would still be a "no" vote. 

(The 'real Quentyn' is of course Young Griff; accompanied by his mother Mellario a/k/a Septa Lemore; who is of course a Blackfyre descendant).

ya the dude who tried to free the dragons is definitely dead in my opinion, regardless who it was

On 2/15/2019 at 8:04 PM, Platypus Rex said:

Is the guy we know as Quentyn Martell, called 'Frog', still alive at the close of A DANCE WITH DRAGONS?

We got his death from his own pov.  He's toast.  The plot device of keeping somebody alive after they seemingly died will get old if it's not already old already.  It's so old that it's fossilized to me.  Much better and original plot is someone believed to be alive has actually been dead a long time.  

On 2/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, John Suburbs said:

His mission was not to break the chains of two dragons, but to bring them back to Dorne. The dragons had already broken their own chains, and there were all sorts of ways they could have gotten free.

I agree and I think his literary purpose is prepping for a major character death.

It's not "Quentyn died, therefore he isn't the hero" it's that he's the hero of his own story and even the hero can die. 

2 hours ago, Tour De Force said:

We got his death from his own pov.  He's toast.  

Thank you for your vote

2 hours ago, Tour De Force said:

The plot device of keeping somebody alive after they seemingly died will get old if it's not already old already.  It's so old that it's fossilized to me.  Much better and original plot is someone believed to be alive has actually been dead a long time.  

LOL!  I've got at least 4 such theories lined up.  But somehow, I don't think they will be popular either.

It's a no from me. 

Quentyn's entire arc is GRRM trying his hand at a subversion of the hero's journey, so naturally it ends in Quentyn's death. The themes of his arc are applying the adventure tropes of fantasy to the generally awful world of Westeros, and seeing that everything goes horribly awry. His fellow adventurers die or are imprisoned, and his big hero moment of "taming the dragons" results in him getting burned alive. His death is kind of the point of his entire arc, at least in my view. 

Archived