The Stupidity of Everyone during the Regency

James Steller

10 minutes ago, James Steller said:

What did Torrhen think would happen when the introverted youth who had no interest in even trying to play ball finally obtained the power to run his own life?

Probably just hoped that the kid would grow up. Clearly that didn't happen though, given how he strolls into the room with armed men, insults the guy who was one of the most loyal followers that his mum ever had, tells him to take a hike, and then cancels a procession that everyone in Westeros has spent weeks and who knows how much money & time preparing, all to help Aegon understand what's expected of him as a leader and to get him out of his psychological rut. Instead, he'll stay in his little shell of comfort and never progress, and leave behind not one but two shithead sons who never got proper parenting from their emo dad.

Seriously, how am I the only one on this site who hates Aegon III??! It's his inaction and refusal to deal with  his issues that caused the realm to suffer through Daeron the Bloodthirsty, Baelor the Religious Fanatic, and then because neither of them had kids, Westeros has to suffer Aegon IV, the Blackfyre rebellions, Aerys I, the Ninepenny Kings, the Mad King, and every horrible incident which occurs in the main series.

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

Did he? He seemed quick to leave King’s Landing the second that Aegon III told him he wasn’t needed. 

Sure, because he was dismissed. When he points out to Aegon III that a king needs a Hand the subtext I see there is that this is a brute request to be allowed to continue in the office, not a request to be dismissed. Manderly seems to be hurt by the way he is dismissed.

The man had just accepted the Handship a couple of months ago. He likely did not bother to come again just to placeholder until the king came of age. He obviously hoped to accompany the king on the great progress he planned, etc.

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

If that’s true, though, it’s bafflingly naive and shortsighted of Torrhen to think that the “sullen boy” would either agree to this royal procession which was organized without his opinion or consent, or keep Torrhen as a Hand after the nonexistent relationship they had. Neither of them liked the other at all. What did Torrhen think would happen when the introverted youth who had no interest in even trying to play ball finally obtained the power to run his own life?

I'd say the man simply failed to, well, connect with 'the sullen boy'. I think I laid it out somewhere that it must have been pretty much impossible to befriend or interact with a king who simply did not speak at all - or that much. You cannot speak without the king's permission, you cannot address him without being invited to do that, etc. Socially, pretty much no one seems to have been able to do much with Aegon III aside from Gaemon, Daenaera, and Viserys (and his half-sisters and Alyn Velaryon to a lesser degree).

1 hour ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Probably just hoped that the kid would grow up. Clearly that didn't happen though, given how he strolls into the room with armed men, insults the guy who was one of the most loyal followers that his mum ever had, tells him to take a hike, and then cancels a procession that everyone in Westeros has spent weeks and who knows how much money & time preparing, all to help Aegon understand what's expected of him as a leader and to get him out of his psychological rut. Instead, he'll stay in his little shell of comfort and never progress, and leave behind not one but two shithead sons who never got proper parenting from their emo dad.

The guy offered his mother very bad advice about the bastard dragonriders. Aegon III was there, he would have not forgotten that.

The king decides what he does. One assumes Aegon III would have told Manderly that this progress would not happen had he and the regents bothered to ask him about that. Since they did not, they only learned what the king was doing when he did it.

1 hour ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Seriously, how am I the only one on this site who hates Aegon III??! It's his inaction and refusal to deal with  his issues that caused the realm to suffer through Daeron the Bloodthirsty, Baelor the Religious Fanatic, and then because neither of them had kids, Westeros has to suffer Aegon IV, the Blackfyre rebellions, Aerys I, the Ninepenny Kings, the Mad King, and every horrible incident which occurs in the main series.

That's just nonsense. You can hate Aegon III all day long (although I'm not sure anyone cares), but at this point you don't really know him as a king who ruled in his own right.

I doubt he is going to be the greatest of kings, his personal issues should make that pretty much impossible. But we have no reason to blame him for stuff after his reign or pretend we know how bad his reign was when he essentially know nothing about that reign at this point.

Hatred requires forgetting he is fictional, and also attributing intent to the fallout of decisions that was in no way predictive.

Daeron I was, on the surface, what Aegon III could not bring himself to be: Decisive, martial, accomplished in the manly arts, charming. Aegon III may have been well satisfied with his eldest son. That son making disastrous choices, despite the clever advice of Aegon's brother, is the son's fault. Children are not blank slates, and they do possess agency. Their father has no part in decisions they make after his death. His second son encouraged to be scholarly or religious, a fair occupation for the heir's spare once he hits the age he can sire his own. The fact the boy is a bit extreme is more reason, not less, to push him to monasticism while his virile elder inherits.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly Its power alot of them never expected to get that kind of power and wanted to keep it Peake especially. If Corlys and Tyland lived longer this issue would not have happened since they wanted to prepare him.

Aegon himself had no support which is why he took all of it rolling over. His sisters could have helped but they didn't have the power to do so. 

Archived