What would have broken Joffrey and Cersei's hold on Sansa?

Angel Eyes

Sansa's admiration of Joffrey and Cersei throughout AGOT is perhaps one of her most criticized characteristics, since she doesn't side with Arya at the Trident Incident and told Cersei of Ned's plans, leading to his arrest. So what could have broken Joffrey and Cersei's hold on her and made her palatable to readers before Joffrey ordered Ned's execution and her rose-tinted world turned to jade? I'm not really sure.

I think it's unlikely and unseemly that she devoleped the way she did when they killed Lady, it's on George. I forguive him for it, it's very like him to make us hate somebody and then slowly win us over- i was rooting against the Imp a long, long time..

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2019 at 8:07 AM, Dracaris said:

I think it's unlikely and unseemly that she devoleped the way she did when they killed Lady, it's on George. I forguive him for it, it's very like him to make us hate somebody and then slowly win us over- i was rooting against the Imp a long, long time..

Yeah, I didn't like how Sansa progressed from that point until she was broken by Joffrey ordering her father's death. But what would have broken Joffrey and Cersei's hold on her before that point?

On 2/17/2019 at 9:46 PM, Angel Eyes said:

told Cersei of Ned's plans, leading to his arrest.

This is something usually blamed on Sansa, but the accusation doesn't have a lot of substance.

Before Eddard's arrest, Eddard himself had told Cersei everything he had discovered and warned her that he would act against her. And Littlefinger had betrayed Ned's plans to Cersei, and had ensured that the City Watch was bought and loyal to the crown.

Eddard's arrest had anything to do with anything Sansa could have told to Cersei.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 3:46 PM, Angel Eyes said:

Sansa's admiration of Joffrey and Cersei throughout AGOT is perhaps one of her most criticized characteristics, since she doesn't side with Arya at the Trident Incident and told Cersei of Ned's plans, leading to his arrest. So what could have broken Joffrey and Cersei's hold on her and made her palatable to readers before Joffrey ordered Ned's execution and her rose-tinted world turned to jade? I'm not really sure.

He was going to slut-shame her or maybe even kill her on their little ride at the Trident. That would have done it.

Archived