Live-action remakes you’d like to see? Or live-action shows or movies you’d like to see made into cartoons

Varysblackfyre321

On 2/23/2019 at 12:41 AM, red snow said:
On 2/22/2019 at 10:15 PM, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I'll be very surprised if they use child actors. I think the central cast will be playing characters in their late teens (meaning actors in their 20s). 12-14 year olds saving the world is more plausible in cartoons than in live action especially with all the fighting etc.they'll be more in line with the korra cast age wise.

Dude, it’s no more realistic that a 19 year old saving the world than a 12-14 year olds. They’re both equally outlandish concepts. And actors in their 20s playing roles that were originally written of that of a children a decade younger than them? It doesn’t sound good. I mean Aang’s childness is so charming because he is a child. It’s considerably less so if he’s a grown man acting like a 11 year old boy.

On 2/23/2019 at 3:04 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I get that, there's nothing wrong with wanting films of books. My issue is with wanting live action films of animated films. In most cases there's way too much CGI involved to deliver on the magical aspect of these films anyway. And when they make a 'live action' of an animated film with animal characters, I'm out. If anything, that feels less real. But that's just me, of course. 

I do see Live-action/GGI remakes(with current technology at least), as unable to really do a lot of the memorable scenes of their animated counterparts. I love the song from the lion king “Be prepared” but I think if the “Live action” remake tries it fully it’ll just look silly. Like I saw the Live action Beauty and the Beast’s version of Gaston’s song as being far more awkward and stilted and overall less enjoyable because he could not do the outrageous things the animated Gaston could do. 

57 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I do see Live-action/GGI remakes(with current technology at least), as unable to really do a lot of the memorable scenes of their animated counterparts. I love the song from the lion king “Be prepared” but I think if the “Live action” remake tries it fully it’ll just look silly. Like I saw the Live action Beauty and the Beast’s version of Gaston’s song as being far more awkward and stilted and overall less enjoyable because he could not do the outrageous things the animated Gaston could do. 

I was fine with the Gaston song, but the Beast is just not something they can pull off in any way that's not over the top and ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Dude, it’s no more realistic that a 19 year old saving the world than a 12-14 year olds. They’re both equally outlandish concepts. And actors in their 20s playing roles that were originally written of that of a children a decade younger than them? It doesn’t sound good. I mean Aang’s childness is so charming because he is a child. It’s considerably less so if he’s a grown man acting like a 11 year old boy.

I don't agree, there's a big difference. Some of the situations the cartoon characters get into are going to look a lot worse if comparable aged actors are in the role. For instance the voice actors weren't kids meaning they could handle trickier scenes and usually it means the acting is better too. They also run the risk of coming off as silly eg Hit-girl if they have 12 year olds bending and fighting. Isn't there also a law where kids can't work as many hours? Possibly explaining why stranger things has short seasons. I guess they could do this with avatar too but I'm sure they can get more done and have lot less restraints in terms of insurance etc with an older cast.

And I'm not suggesting 20 year olds play 11 year olds. I'm suggesting they play 17 year olds (which i think you knew but misunderstood for effect). This happens all the time in practically every show/film featuring high schoolers. Tom holland was 19 and playing a 16 year old - that's what they should be going for (he'd actually have fit the show quite well a couple of years ago). Or GOT where the characters/actors were all aged up (probably for legal reasons and the fact it'd be too dark/offensive).

Unless they strike casting gold like they did with stranger things I think it's a bit of a risk to keep the ages the same. Especially when as far as i can tell the story is not damaged by adding a few years to the central cast. I'm not wanting the show to be about a group of postgrads caught up in saving the world.

I thought of that, and I did think that was notably better than any of the Bay films.

But it's not what I meant, I meant a proper Transformers film with a larger cast ( Bumblebee is very limited in this and very small scale a film comparatively to the BayFormers films). A Transformers reboot, done by perhaps the same guy who did Bumblebee, or someone else.

On 2/25/2019 at 11:09 AM, red snow said:

And I'm not suggesting 20 year olds play 11 year olds. I'm suggesting they play 17 year olds (which i think you knew but misunderstood for effect). This happens all the time in practically every show/film featuring high schoolers. Tom holland was 19 and playing a 16 year old - that's what they should be going for (he'd actually have fit the show quite well a couple of years ago). Or GOT where the characters/actors were all aged up (probably for legal reasons and the fact it'd be too dark/offensive).

My point was that there’d need to be some massive revisions to the characters to account for the age-up. Aang was written as 11 year old character, simply aging him up from that to that of 17 without altering his character would be a idea imo. I’m not Uber in favor of an age-up but if it does happen it furthers necessitates the characters having to be somewhat distinct from their animated counterparts.

On 2/26/2019 at 3:40 AM, Ran said:

I don't see the benefit of going from cartoon to live action for any of the titles listed. Live action just means budgetary constraints that hamper the original vision.

Hmm, are you sure there’s no one cartoon or animation you’d like to see? And you know what I’m editing the thread title because that point is strong.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Hmm, are you sure there’s no one cartoon or animation you’d like to see? And you know what I’m editing the thread title because that point is strong.

I genuinely can't think of any. There's never been a cartoon-to-live adaptation that benefited from the transition.  Obviously, I am not a fan of the Transformers series, so I guess those who liked them might feel otherwise. 

I can understand comics to live action -- moving from a static medium to a moving one. But cartoons are already moving, so the only thing you "get" out of going live action is live actors rather than voice actors. If you want a new cartoon that maintains some of the aesthetics of the original but has much greater production values, I can see the argument for that -- a new Exo-Squad using 3D animation techniques could be great, if there's a good idea for a story.

14 minutes ago, Ran said:

I genuinely can't think of any. There's never been a cartoon-to-live adaptation that benefited from the transition.  Obviously, I am not a fan of the Transformers series, so I guess those who liked them might feel otherwise. 

I can understand comics to live action -- moving from a static medium to a moving one. But cartoons are already moving, so the only thing you "get" out of going live action is live actors rather than voice actors. If you want a new cartoon that maintains some of the aesthetics of the original but has much greater production values, I can see the argument for that -- a new Exo-Squad using 3D animation techniques could be great, if there's a good idea for a story.

There is something about the aesthetic of animation that allows the viewer to fill in the blanks mentally and I think that gets lost when you move towards a more realistic vision. 

I'm always more appreciative of more visually unique animation rather than the standard hollywood look that tends to pervade almost all 3D animation. For instance I'm a big fan of The Secret of Kells or Breadwinner and watching those things, the way it looks is just as important to telling the story as anything else. 

Most of these live action remakes completely lose the essence of what made the original special in the first place, they seem to think they are taking all the elements and putting them back together again in a more modern way, but they aren't really. You lose a lot. 

Archived