US Politics: Make Thread Titles Great Again

Varysblackfyre321

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/20/kamala-harris-father-pot-1176805  I'm curious if this will make her more hesitant to cite her Jamaican heritage in the future. Ole dad says he wont come into the political sphere to discuss the woman again but who knows. The guy really does seem like he needs to loosen up a little, and he kinda grossly exaggerated how bad Harris' comments were with his invoking his dead parents. It's interesting to see conservative media-outlets act so offended at a joke that's pretty vanilla. Apparently, this joke is certainly more offensive than repeatedly retweeting white-supremacists(what Trump has done) in their minds. 

5 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I'm curious if this will make her more hesitant to cite her Jamaican heritage in the future.

I'm curious why you think in any way this right fuck matters?  Seriously, why?  Please explain.

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

I'm curious why you think in any way this right fuck matters?  Seriously, why?  Please explain.

I do see it as a possible liability to Harris having a father willing to come out to chastise her on her answers in a political discussion as wrong and/or bigoted. Will he do it again? He says he wont, but the guy was rather too eager to attack and lambast his daughter on a very vanilla joke for me to put much stock in his word. 

I'm curious why you routinely spout bizarre random theories about Harris being hurt by entirely nonmainstream stories. 

Why Harris? Why only Harris? I'm curious which brand of pseudo liberal hose you are drinking from which has only anti Harris stuff all the time. 

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I do see it as a possible liability to Harris having a father willing to come out to chastise her on her answers in a political discussion as wrong and/or bigoted. Will he do it again? He says he wont, but the guy was rather too eager to attack and lambast his daughter on a very vanilla joke for me to put much stock in his word. 

I think when it comes to family we can just say go fuck off it's none of your business.  Barack Obama's father died drunk driving before he ever really met his son.  George W. Bush's father was George H.W. Bush.  I don't know which had it worse.

On Harris' Jamaica/weed statement:

It makes him look like a jerk to his own daughter and like those people who shame their own kids on social media (i.e., in front of the whole world) to punish them and it undermines the point he's making. He has a legitimate beef with what she said, but he should have called her in private and talked to her about it and asked her to say more positive things about Jamaicans in the future. It makes her look sympathetic to me even if it wasn't the best thing to say. It's to her credit that she's achieved what she has with a parent like that. He's awful. 

Subject change...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/three-british-conservative-lawmakers-resign-to-join-labour-breakaway?ref=wrap

The three—Anna Soubry, Sarah Wollaston, and Heidi Allen—will now join eight former Labour lawmakers who sent shockwaves through Westminster when they announced their exit from Jeremy Corbyn’s party in protest at his approach to Brexit and failure to tackle anti-Semitic bullying.

The 11, who will continue to sit in parliament as a new pro-EU block, are going by the name of the Independent Group. They’re now the joint-fourth biggest grouping in the British parliament.

In the letter sent to May, the three former Conservatives said their party had seen a “shift to the right” in the wake of the Brexit vote, and hit out at May for failing to stand up the rabidly anti-EU group of her party known as the European Research Group (ERG) as well as the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP), whose votes May relies on to pass legislation.

“The final straw for us has been this government’s disastrous handling of Brexit,” they wrote. “Following the EU referendum of 2016, no genuine effort was made to build a cross party, let alone a national consensus to deliver Brexit. Instead of seeking to heal the divisions or to tackle the underlying causes of Brexit, the priority was to draw up red lines. The 48 percent were not only sidelined, they were alienated.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/opinion/four-party-america-politics.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

In case you haven’t noticed, long-established political parties across the democratic world are blowing up, with Britain’s Labour Party just the latest to fracture. Could America’s parties be next?

Could we have our first four-party election in 2020 — with candidates from the Donald Trump far right, the old G.O.P. center right, the Joe Biden center left and the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez far left all squaring off, as the deepening divides within our two big parties simply can’t be papered over any longer? It’s not impossible.

Fortunately, though, all is not lost. Creative adaptation is happening in many of America’s counties, cities and towns, where trust is much higher. The most successful are forging what I call “complex adaptive coalitions,” where business, labor, philanthropists, social entrepreneurs, educators and local government all network together to create jobs, attract businesses, grow housing, fix potholes and improve schools.

These coalitions are not focused on splitting the differences between the old right-left binary choices. They’ve actually moved to a totally different grid — one that asks every day on every issue: “What works? Find it and share it, so we can get the best out of these accelerations in technology, globalization and climate change and cushion the worst for the most people in our community."

The new binary is quickly moving to Idealist vs Pragmatist. 

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I'm curious why you routinely spout bizarre random theories about Harris being hurt by entirely nonmainstream stories. 

Why Harris? Why only Harris? I'm curious which brand of pseudo liberal hose you are drinking from which has only anti Harris stuff all the time. 

Please, I've been no more harsh of Harris than I have most of the democratic candidate that have been brought up repeatedly in these thread. I criticized Sanders for his support of a pro-life mayoral candidate and his and his supporters willingness to sacrifice things that dont directly affect white men if it means giving their side political edge. And argued his comments on the US trying to overthrow Castro would definitely cost him Florida should he win the nomination. I also criticized  Gabbard for flirting with fascists and acknowledged her as horrible person who cares less for dead foreign Muslims than she does dead forieghn Christians.Hell I’ve praised Harris for the good I've seen her do in her political career and defended her against the claim that her just having a job as a prosecutor is a reasonable criticism of her. 

18 minutes ago, Lollygag said:

It makes him look like a jerk to his own daughter and like those people who shame their own kids on social media (i.e., in front of the whole world) to punish them and it undermines the point he's making. He has a legitimate beef with what she said, but he should have called her in private and talked to her about it and asked her to say more positive things about Jamaicans in the future. It makes her look sympathetic to me even if it wasn't the best thing to say. It's to her credit that she's achieved what she has with a parent like that. He's awful. 

Agreed on it being a dick move. The joke was really vanilla imo but even if he personally took offense to it he could have discussed this sort of thing with his daughter in private, instead and expressing how he felt Kamala was being offensive and asking her to avoid such jokes in the future. Even for non-sentimental reasons I imagine Kamala would listen given she doesn't appear to want to risk causing where it could be avoided. There had to have been a better way to go about it.

http://time.com/5534328/benjamin-netanyahu-challengers-unite-israel-elections/

(JERUSALEM) — Israel’s primary centrist challengers to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced Thursday they were joining forces ahead of April elections — a dramatic move that shook up the country’s political system and created the first credible alternative to Netanyahu’s decade-long rule.

Retired military chief Benny Gantz and Yair Lapid, head of the Yesh Atid party, said they would present a joint list for the upcoming vote that “will constitute the new Israeli ruling party.” In a joint statement, the two said they were “motivated by national responsibility.”

“The new ruling party will bring forth a cadre of security and social leaders to ensure Israel’s security and to reconnect its people and heal the divide within Israeli society,” they said, in a dig at Netanyahu.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

We really need to get rid of that patently outdated, and undemocratic system. 

While I'm no defender of the electoral college, I think there are perhaps two bigger issues. One is the winner take all system. And second big issue is the US Supreme Court, I think, needs to ditch its framework about money and free speech. Right now, it seems to believe that the mere act of giving money is tantamount to free speech. What it seems not to consider is that perhaps the guy with the biggest bull horn wins the argument, and not necessarily the guy with the better argument.

One of the principle traditional liberal justifications for free speech is that it is supposed to help us find the truth and hence improve democratic outcomes. The Supreme Court, at this time, seems to be pretty oblivious to the the idea that too much money may in fact harm the search for truth or democratic outcomes.

Sure.

But, before I do, could I perhaps make the observation that trying to bring in UK politics in order to make a statement about US politics is perhaps a bit off base, as our conservatives are likely more nuttier than UK conservatives (not that I'm defending them).

One might say, the US has comparative advantage in producing right wing kooks. Unfortunately, though, in contradiction to what comparative advantage says, it seems the US ends up importing right wing kooks from the UK, rather than exporting right wing kooks to the UK. That's how we ended up with people like Niall Ferguson.

Archived