US Politics: Make Thread Titles Great Again

Varysblackfyre321

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

Your optimism is inspiring. 

Maybe it's more a case of, "what choice do we have?"

Maybe my attitude is more like Gimli. Small chance of success, certainty of death, what are we waiting for?

Maybe I'm just a stubborn old jackass that doesn't like quitting.

4 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Your optimism is inspiring. 

Though I bet you do have an idea regarding whether it will change. I hate to put words in your post, but let's be real. You're a smart fella. Observe the routes through which change could possibly occur, and then realize that neither the courts nor legislators will EVER feel the need to handicap their pals from paying them.

This is basic, and I know you know it. There exists no balancing force against all the money thrown at and around our elected or appointed agents.

Even implying that some day the tooth fairy will push through legislation or a legal case to limit the deference to $$$ is wishful thinking at its worst. 

Seriously. This is like musing on getting rid of the EC or introducing a 3rd viable party. It's inane gibberish. It will never happen. Not because I say it will never happen, because applying basic problem solving skills reveals no viable solutions.

Our country is sick, our government irreparably broken. Accepting that will save Ran a lot of data storage.

There is lot of stuff that needs that needs to get fixed that might not get fixed. That said, it's no reason to quit in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Maybe it's more a case of, "what choice do we have?"

Maybe my attitude is more like Gimli. Small chance of success, certainty of death, what are we waiting for?

Maybe I'm just a stubborn old jackass that doesn't like quitting.

There is lot of stuff that needs that needs to get fixed that might not get fixed. That said, it's no reason to quit in my opinion.

Then I leave you in peace. But be warned! One day when I throw a bunch of fatalistic nonsense at you it will be too much to write a defiant response. 

One day you will join me in the light of nihilism.

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

Then I leave you in peace. But be warned! One day when I throw a bunch of fatalistic nonsense at you it will be too much to write a defiant response. 

One day you will join me in the light if nihilism.

MC Hammer said he was too legit to quit.

In my case, it's probably more of a case of too dumb to quit.

Perhaps you'll change my mind, but I think it's doubtful.

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

No?

I always joke about being able to hold my liquor because I’m an Irish Russian German Jew.  

I know I've seen several articles talking about this as a destructive stereotype born from the anti-Irish period of immigration, usually around St Pat's Day. It was just a thought I had. The left tends to fight really hard to dispel stereotypes and try to raise awareness of how even little things (like this) are usually born from bigotry and best eliminated from our vernacular out of respect. I don't doubt most of the time these things are not said out of malice, but would you correct someone who said "I was gypped" or "he jewed the price down"? Where is that line between acceptable joke and harmful stereotype?

Personally, I don't find what she said offensive, and I also joke about my Irish/German/Czech heritage being built for drinking. But I make that joke with friends and I wouldn't do so with people I don't know or on a public stage.

12 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

MC Hammer said he was too legit to quit.

How you can attack a guy that breaks out MC Hammer references is akin to Trump attacking McCain's military service.  They're both national treasures, on equal levels.  For shame, thread!  For shame!

7 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Please, I've been no more harsh of Harris than I have most of the democratic candidate that have been brought up repeatedly in these thread. I criticized Sanders for his support of a pro-life mayoral candidate and his and his supporters willingness to sacrifice things that dont directly affect white men if it means giving their side political edge. And argued his comments on the US trying to overthrow Castro would definitely cost him Florida should he win the nomination. I also criticized  Gabbard for flirting with fascists and acknowledged her as horrible person who cares less for dead foreign Muslims than she does dead forieghn Christians.Hell I’ve praised Harris for the good I've seen her do in her political career and defended her against the claim that her just having a job as a prosecutor is a reasonable criticism of her. 

Yeah that’s bullshit, you’ve been so prolific and consistent in posting almost exclusively anti-Harris content that I figure it is about fifty-fifty you’re a Russian troll, and probably 95% that most of the news feed you post is promulgated by the anti Harris Russian trollfarms (whether or not you realize how controlled the information that gets algorithmically presented to you in the first place is)

2 minutes ago, lokisnow said:

Yeah that’s bullshit, you’ve been so prolific and consistent in posting almost exclusively anti-Harris content that I figure it is about fifty-fifty you’re a Russian troll, and probably 95% that most of the news feed you post is promulgated by the anti Harris Russian trollfarms (whether or not you realize how controlled the information that gets algorithmically presented to you in the first place is)

This is why I don't read!

Eta:

I'm a genius! Like Kanye!

11 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

One can only hope. 

We could use a few dead Democrats to chase away this Jessie Smolensk story.

This arrest of the coast guard white supremacist planning to kill journalists and Democrats holding elected office happened while I was away -- but I saw nothing about it in my few and brief news cruises. 

Why didn't I see anything about this until just now, going through the NYT?  Is it just that I didn't look in the right places -- but one would think this was big enough national news that both the NYT and WaPo would have trumpeted the story. Did any of you hear about this when the arrest happened?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/us/christopher-hasson-coast-guard.html?

16 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

I know I've seen several articles talking about this as a destructive stereotype born from the anti-Irish period of immigration, usually around St Pat's Day. It was just a thought I had. The left tends to fight really hard to dispel stereotypes and try to raise awareness of how even little things (like this) are usually born from bigotry and best eliminated from our vernacular out of respect. I don't doubt most of the time these things are not said out of malice, but would you correct someone who said "I was gypped" or "he jewed the price down"? Where is that line between acceptable joke and harmful stereotype?

Personally, I don't find what she said offensive, and I also joke about my Irish/German/Czech heritage being built for drinking. But I make that joke with friends and I wouldn't do so with people I don't know or on a public stage.

And therein lies the key. You can make stereotypical jokes about your own ethnic background. You can’t with someone else’s unless it’s with a friend and there’s an understanding that it’s okay. So yes, I would correct someone who isn’t Jewish saying the jewed the price down. At the same time, I regularly joke that I’m from the chosen tribe so therefore god deemed it right that we get to run the world.

I frankly see nothing wrong with what Harris said. Her father was the one in the wrong because clearly there are some family problems there and he made them public to the detriment of her career.

8 minutes ago, Zorral said:

This arrest of the coast guard white supremacist planning to kill journalists and Democrats holding elected office happened while I was away -- but I saw nothing about it in my few and brief news cruises. 

Why didn't I see anything about this until just now, going through the NYT?  Is it just that I didn't look in the right places -- but one would think this was big enough national news that both the NYT and WaPo would have trumpeted the story. Did any of you hear about this when the arrest happened?

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/us/christopher-hasson-coast-guard.html?

It was posted at least once (might've been twice) in the last thread, and I know I heard about it before that. 

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I frankly see nothing wrong with what Harris said. Her father was the one in the wrong because clearly there are some family problems there and he made them public to the detriment of her career.

Like I said, I don't either, but I'm not the one who gets to make that determination sine I'm not Jamaican. Personally, I think the comment was a little unwise on the public stage, but nothing I would hold against her. 

Like, we don't think anything of it right now, but I could see the day where these types of joking stereotypes are as reviled as some of the slurs we recognize as hurtful today. See what I'm saying? 

If this was in reference to my comment, I was genuinely just curious as to where the line is because I joke like this with my friends all the time and don't think about it. Her comment just sparked a 'hmm' moment for me. It had nothing to do about the two things you brought up (Snoop and getting high)

8 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

If this was in reference to my comment, I was genuinely just curious as to where the line is because I joke like this with my friends all the time and don't think about it. Her comment just sparked a 'hmm' moment for me. It had nothing to do about the two things you brought up (Snoop and getting high)

Doesn’t that just show you that she’s normal and not one of those Ivy League robots that can never relate to regular people? I honestly think it helps more than hurts her. The people who don’t like her will never like her, but people who are open to her candidacy will see someone they could have a beer with. Dumb as it is, it helps in politics.  

I heard the attack as Harris claiming to listen to Tupac in college, which apparently isn't true.  And it struck me as just about the stupidest thing to try and make a story out of, I couldn't help but think they must really be grasping at straws if this is the best they got. 

51 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

This Jussie Smollett thing is getting a lot more coverage than the coast guard today.

Duh. Who cares if a white supremacist was planning to kill the second in line to the presidency, among others? We’ve got a gay black man here lying about homophobia and racism. That means those things don’t exist! That’s really important!!!

The Harris bullshit is the same kind of bullshit they used to make people able to justify their racist instinct against Obama without being racist. "No, I dont like Harris because her dad is mean and she said she listened to snoop at the wrong time, not because she is not white".

Some people have a negative vibe of her. They look for things that they can justify it with. It gets amplified by Russian bots. 

16 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Doesn’t that just show you that she’s normal and not one of those Ivy League robots that can never relate to regular people? I honestly think it helps more than hurts her. The people who don’t like her will never like her, but people who are open to her candidacy will see someone they could have a beer with. Dumb as it is, it helps in politics.  

Dude, I'm not actually attacking her and have said repeatedly I don't think it's a mark against her. It was me trying to start a conversation but I forgot I was in the politics thread and that's not allowed.

eta: in reading back, I read this in a semi-aggressive tone, probably because it seemed like True Metis was snarking at me for something I didn't even say. If I misconstrued either of your intent, I apologize. If not, well then fuck you :p

(that last bit was a little snark by me - I hate that I have to clarify because fuck the internet and lack of body language for ruining a friendly 'fuck you' joke)

1 hour ago, DMC said:

How you can attack a guy that breaks out MC Hammer references is akin to Trump attacking McCain's military service.  They're both national treasures, on equal levels.  For shame, thread!  For shame!

I just think when things get rough, it is important to remain Cool as Ice. In fact, I might even venture to say, drop the conservative zero and get with the liberal hero.

Archived