US Politics: Make Thread Titles Great Again

Varysblackfyre321

SNL will have fun with this:

Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., is facing additional allegations of abusing her staff after a report Friday said the presidential candidate berated an aide for forgetting to bring utensils — forcing the lawmaker to eat a salad with a comb.

The episode happened in 2008 while the lawmaker was traveling with aides to South Carolina and a staffer bought a salad for Klobuchar while carrying bags through the airport, The New York Times reported.

However, the aide forgot utensils and the flight had none on board, prompting Klobuchar to berate the aide and pull a comb from her bag to eat the salad, the paper reported citing four people familiar with the episode. Klobuchar then directed the aide to clean the comb after she had finished.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/klobuchar-ate-her-salad-comb-report-says-n974746

4 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I know. My question is how long will that take?

I've generally avoiding trying to read the tea leaves on the Mueller investigation, but I do expect him to conclude and deliver his report by the end of the calendar year, at the latest.  Which means any subsequent subpoena and appeal by the DoJ will almost certainly be adjudicated well before the 2020 election, including by SCOTUS.  The SC is designed to take a long time with decisions, yes, both conceptually and structurally, but that doesn't mean they can't expedite decisions when there's sufficient public pressure to do so.  And in this case there definitely will be.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have to say Klobuchar was right to be pissed in this instance if this actually happened.Though I don’t see why she wouldn’t eat the salad through using her hands. Seems way more sanitary than using a comb which would have bits of hair on it.

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I have to say Klobuchar was right to be pissed in this instance if this actually happened.Though I don’t see why she wouldn’t eat the salad through using her hands. Seems way more sanitary than using a comb which would have bits of hair on it.

First, I'm not sure I find the story credible.  What the hell airline doesn't have any utensils available on board?  Spirit?  I mean, I guess if it's a short flight, but I feel like they must have been able to provide her with something.  Second, if the story is true as reported, wtf?  Are you saying Klobuchar's reported behavior is actually defendable?  

8 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

It's saying basically the same thing, though, that there exists a culture of victimhood in the U.S.

Kind of reminds of the kid who just writes down the answer to a math problem, without showing how they got the answer.

Anyway as far as a culture of victimhood, maybe that exist or maybe it doesn't, but it if does, it seems to me that conservatives are its true masters. I mean haven't we heard for a least a few generations from conservatives about how they were just a small band of rebels fighting the evil intergalactic liberal empire. I mean to hear conservatives tell it, they never had any money, they never had any influence at all, the Koch Brothers aren't the "elites", it's the guy who disagreed with Rush Limbaugh who is the "elite". Everyone is out to get conservatives, to include the media and the "elites" according to conservatives.  Just sayin.

3 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Anyway as far as a culture of victimhood, maybe that exist, but it seems to me that conservatives are it's true masters.

I've been hearing about this War on Christmas for like 20 years, but for all I can tell they're referring to when my father gets my mother a gift she doesn't like.  The current thing that occupies the Oval Office got there primarily by propagating the lie that there are many victims of undocumented workers.  Then there's Brett Kavanaugh, who had to endure the shame of testifying in front of the Senate in order to get confirmed by the Senate.  Here's an article that sums it up pretty well:

Which is why it’s such a common retort to say “You’re not the real victim, I’m the real victim.” The problem isn’t racism, it’s white people being unfairly accused of racism. The problem isn’t sexual harassment and assault, it’s the fear felt by men unsure what will happen to them if they’re too flirty with their employees. The problem isn’t hate speech, it’s “political correctness” that keeps me from saying whatever I want. The problem isn’t what Brett M. Kavanaugh did to Christine Blasey Ford, it’s the fact that Kavanaugh had to endure listening to his accusers and all he got was a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court.

35 minutes ago, DMC said:

First, I'm not sure I find the story credible.  What the hell airline doesn't have any utensils available on board?  Spirit?  I mean, I guess if it's a short flight, but I feel like they must have been able to provide her with something.  Second, if the story is true as reported, wtf?  Are you saying Klobuchar's reported behavior is actually defendable?  

I don't think this story is particularly credible hence my use of saying "if this happened". It's really too bizarre to seem plausible. But if it is(it probably isn't) the worst thing that Klobucar has done(in this particular instance) is berate the forgetful aid for failing partially at a task and make said aid clean a comb.

3 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

But if it is(it probably isn't) the worst thing that Klobucar has done(in this particular instance) is berate the forgetful aid for failing partially at task and make her clean a comb. 

Right I don't think the behavior is, like, fatal or anything, but it also certainly isn't defensible.  She would clearly be out of line if the story is true.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right I don't think the behavior is, like, fatal or anything, but it also certainly isn't defensible.  She would clearly be out of line if the story is true.

So what would you think the appropriate reaction be? Total Indifference at this because it was small error seemingly done with no malicious intent? 

2 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

So what would you think the appropriate reaction be? Total Indifference at this because it was small error seemingly done with no malicious intent? 

There are many reasonable reactions to the situation.  Eating the salad with a comb and then ordering the staffer to clean it up is inarguably not one of them.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

There are many reasonable reactions to the situation.  Eating the salad with a comb and then ordering the staffer to clean it up is inarguably not one of them.

Meh. I would say the reaction is more bizarre than heinous. I could agree as a whole it wasn't reasonable. This really isn't something I find particularly interesting(because the woman herself isn't particularly interesting to me) so I'll just drop it. Though I will say if the story is fabricated I think the person who contrived it has little imagination. Klobuchar should have been said to have made the staffer eat the salad with a comb(probably a dirty one). 

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I could agree as a whole it wasn't reasonable.

Well then we don't have anything to argue about.

1 minute ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Though I will say if the story is fabricated I think the person who contrived it has little imagination.

On top of that story, HuffPo has had two other stories coming out rapid fire the past few hours detailing more pushback from the complaining Klobuchar staffers and both were their top headline.  It's very clear their sources are actively trying to hurt her.  There could be a legitimate reason for, or they all could be motivated by resentment, who knows?  But the reporting does clarify this isn't a sexist thing (which has been brought up a lot but admittedly not here as far as I remember):

Particularly frustrating for some of these staffers have been the charges of sexism. Many of the aides who spoke with HuffPost are women, who consider themselves feminists and have worked for other strong female politicians.

One former staffer called the Palmieri op-ed “offensive as fuck.”

“It’s not that there’s not merit to the argument that other men have been abusive and gotten away with it,” she said. “It doesn’t make it OK for anybody. We don’t say, we haven’t held men accountable in the past for this on Capitol Hill, so why start now?”

54 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Kind of reminds of the kid who just writes down the answer to a math problem, without showing how they got the answer.

I take issue with this as one who was often penalized in math class for failing to 'write out' the problem. I quite simply did them in my head and would only confuse myself by scratching meaningless figures onto the page.

3 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Why is the Klobuchar thing even a story?  We have heinous scandals happening on a daily basis in the WH, woman treats assistant poorly after making a lunch order mistake doesn't deserve any kind of attention.

I don't think reporting on the Dem primary candidates needs to be compared to Trump.  The media and voters should be able to walk and chew gum at the time.

Just now, Jace, Basilissa said:

I take issue with this as one who was often penalized in math class for failing to 'write out' the problem.

Cosine.

Archived