US Politics: Make Thread Titles Great Again

Varysblackfyre321

Alva Johnson, Former Trump Campaign Staffer, Claims in Lawsuit That Trump Kissed Her Without Consent

https://www.thedailybeast.com/alva-johnson-former-trump-campaign-staffer-claims-in-lawsuit-that-trump-kissed-her-without-consent?ref=home

Alva Johnson—a staffer on Donald Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign—has filed a lawsuit against Donald Trump accusing him of kissing her without her consent ahead of rally in Florida. In an interview with The Washington Post, Johnson claims Trump grabbed her hand and leaned in to kiss her on the lips. Johnson claims she turned her head to avoid the kiss, with Trump’s lips landing on the side of her mouth. She called the interaction—which is alleged to have taken place at in Tampa on Aug. 24, 2016—“super-creepy and inappropriate.” She told the Post: “I immediately felt violated because I wasn’t expecting it or wanting it... I can still see his lips coming straight for my face.”

5 hours ago, mormont said:

Well, the latter is widespread in the US and the former is not, to begin with.

It's true that many on the left are atheist and that many have issues with organised religion, even with evangelicals who weaponise their faith to oppress minorities. But where are these instances of people of faith 'being regarded as a lesser human'? Perhaps by a few in the extreme rationalist atheist community, but to be quite honest, those guys (and it is almost all guys) tend to be libertarians rather than leftists. 

Unless you subscribe to the 'war on Christmas' rhetoric, you're tilting at windmills with that one. 

I regard them as horrible human beings because they ARE horrible human beings. Going to church on Sundays and getting absolution doesn't give you an excuse to be evil and rotten the other six days. 

Maybe they should be regarded as subhuman. I love a good comeuppance and they'd be getting a dose of their own medicine. 

Anyone else getting Harris (and only Harris) campaign emails?  I never signed up for them and she is constantly emailing me for money.  It's curious to me that she got my email when no other candidate has sent me anything.

48 minutes ago, Ice Queen said:

I regard them as horrible human beings because they ARE horrible human beings. Going to church on Sundays and getting absolution doesn't give you an excuse to be evil and rotten the other six days. 

Maybe they should be regarded as subhuman. I love a good comeuppance and they'd be getting a dose of their own medicine. 

Come on now.... those people are shitty in church too :lol:

One other thing about whether Hispanic voters who vote Republican is that it's really important to remember that within the Hispanic community there are huge differences in voting behaviours.  We're not talking like the difference between Cuban Americans voting Republican 35% of the time and Mexican-Americans only 30% of the time, it's more like 70% and 20%.  Cuban Americans get the most press because they are overwhelmingly in Florida and are Republican leaning, but I've read a couple articles that a lot of Venezuelan-Americans are pretty happy with the WH response to the situation in Venezuela, and that this might improve Trump's standing with some Hispanic voters from nearby countries as well.

I'm not saying that this is necessarily something the polls are picking up, I'd guess it's probably just noise, but it is a possible trend that could bring a subset of Hispanic voters towards Republicans. 

6 hours ago, mormont said:

But where are these instances of people of faith 'being regarded as a lesser human'? Perhaps by a few in the extreme rationalist atheist community, but to be quite honest, those guys (and it is almost all guys) tend to be libertarians rather than leftists.

Not to play devil's advocate, but it depends what we mean by "people of faith." For many people, having faith is actively pushing for a number of specific policies (like banning abortion, gay marriage... etc). And for some, having faith even implies actively promoting that faith and seeking to impose it in the public sphere.
So yeah, such activism does lead to faith being despised in many places, not just "extreme rational atheist" communities. Of course, it generally doesn't go as far as saying that people of faith are "lesser humans," that's just conservative victimization, but there is some truth in that nonetheless.

39 minutes ago, Rippounet said:

Not to play devil's advocate, but it depends what we mean by "people of faith." For many people, having faith is actively pushing for a number of specific policies (like banning abortion, gay marriage... etc). And for some, having faith even implies actively promoting that faith and seeking to impose it in the public sphere.
So yeah, such activism does lead to faith being despised in many places, not just "extreme rational atheist" communities. Of course, it generally doesn't go as far as saying that people of faith are "lesser humans," that's just conservative victimization, but there is some truth in that nonetheless.

What does this have to do with my post?

ETA - I mean, I'm trying to parse this, and all I can come up with is that you think that disagreeing with someone, or even believing that they hold views that one disagrees with or finds unpleasant, is on some kind of a spectrum that includes thinking that they are 'lesser humans'. And that just isn't true.

46 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

We're not talking like the difference between Cuban Americans voting Republican 35% of the time and Mexican-Americans only 30% of the time, it's more like 70% and 20%. 

PEW has a pretty good breakdown of the exit poll data on this, both for 2018 and 2016.  In 2016, Trump won Florida Cubans 54-41 and lost non-Cuban Latino Floridians 71-26.  Florida Cubans made up 2/3s of the nation's 1.2 million Cuban eligible voters.  In 2018, a record 29 million Hispanic voters were eligible.  Even bumping up the Cuban vote to 1.5 million (which is almost certainly over-generous), Cuban Americans make up about 5 percent of the eligible Hispanic vote.  Does that percentage rise when we're talking about actual instead of just eligible voters?  I expect it does, but not by too much. 

The only truly concerning thing I can see about any of this data is that in 2018, Hispanic Democratic party affiliation actually ticked down 2 points while GOP affiliation ticked up 3 point - whereas it had been very stable since around 2012.  I'm not sure what to make of that (easiest answer is it has to do with the regular trends of midterm electorates), but there it is.

Anyway, this whole Hispanic approval thing isn't rocket science guys, it's the economy (stupid).  Since the government shutdown ended, Trump's approval has rose about 4.5 points and his disapproval has decreased about 3 points in the aggregate (his approval is even up about a point since the midterms).  It's not surprising (indeed should be expected) this trend in the overall population is reflected within the Hispanic population as well, because Hispanics are fairly moderate and care just as much about the economy as anybody.  All the recent trend reflects is the fact that if the economy continues to go this well (or more accurately, if the macro-indicators and economic perceptions continue to be this favorable) up until the election, Trump is very likely to win re-election.

51 minutes ago, mormont said:

ETA - I mean, I'm trying to parse this, and all I can come up with is that you think that disagreeing with someone, or even believing that they hold views that one disagrees with or finds unpleasant, is on some kind of a spectrum that includes thinking that they are 'lesser humans'.

I dunno if I personally think that, but I've met quite a few people who do, especially on the left as regard religion. Saying people are "lesser humans" is a bit strong, but there are plenty of people who will say that believing in God in 2019 means you're a bit dumb and/or compare faith-inspired policies to very bad stuff.

Remember this case?
https://www.theguardian.com/law/2018/jun/04/gay-cake-ruling-supreme-court-same-sex-wedding-colorado-baker-decision-latest

So as regard to what was the original exchange, it is perfectly possible to have religious members of minorities drawn away from the Democratic Party if they feel (correctly or incorrectly) that Democrats/liberals are overly hostile to religion. The words used may not be wholly correct, but I concur with @The Anti-Targ's original point.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

ETA - I mean, I'm trying to parse this, and all I can come up with is that you think that disagreeing with someone, or even believing that they hold views that one disagrees with or finds unpleasant, is on some kind of a spectrum that includes thinking that they are 'lesser humans'. And that just isn't true.

Well ... people who practice Judaism and Islam are also people of faith.  So are people who practice Santería and Hindu and Buddhist and all the other paths of negotiation with spiritual forces.  Believing in spiritual forces, whatever they are  called, whether god, angels, orishas, prophets, saints, etc., demands faith, and includes an expectation of ethical and moral behaviors, not mention -- generally -- some sort of family, community and civic engagement and system.

So ya, a lot of people of faith are looked down upon by other people of faith.  Nobody escapes.

However, with the example that Ripp put up -- that is just a really nasty mean person and faith has nothing to do with it because Jesus, whom that person supposedly believes in, would never have countenanced that behavior.  It isn't faith, it's assholery that assholes grab as a veil and shield for practicing their assholery.

Though for another example, supposedly, according the Old Testament, Jehovah at times instructed the Hebrews to commit genocide, and if they didn't do it, he had them ripped apart by wild animals.  I think that's in Samuel or Kings -- or one of the books after those.  I had all this memorized when a kid, but that was a long time ago.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/democratic-presidential-candidate-calls-for-u-s-to-take-in-venezuela-refugees

Very smart move in Harris’ part. I’m actually curious if Trump will oppose Harris or any other person that might be the Democratic nominee on this issue. 

These are refugees fleeing a authoritarian communist regime, many Cubans should be expected to sympathize with that. But still the white nationalists might not like it. 

Twitter is huge in Saudi Arabia—the country boasts one of the world’s highest rates of Twitter penetration. Because Saudi Arabia lacks a free press, and bans political parties and NGOs, Saudi citizens took to Twitter as their only outlet to discuss public matters. By 2015, Twitter had become the premier hangout of Saudi intellectuals, a critical public sphere often called “The Parliament of the Arabs.”

This changed with the rise of MBS. Twitter’s immense popularity led the crown prince and his advisers to conquer Arabic-language Twitter, and turn it from a space of public debate by citizens, into one of the Kingdom’s primary tools of social control. Why? To prevent their biggest fear: Arab Spring-style dissent in Saudi Arabia.

By the end of 2018, MBS’ conquest of Twitter was complete: Prominent independent tweeters were in jail, in exile, compromised by blackmail, intimidated into silence—or dead. No longer was there such a thing as an independent voice within Saudi Arabia—you had to either stop being independent, stop having a voice, or stop being in Saudi Arabia.

How the Saudis Made Jeff Bezos Public Enemy No. 1
Inside the four-month campaign targeting the world’s richest man.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/how-the-saudis-made-jeff-bezos-public-enemy-1?ref=home

29 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/democratic-presidential-candidate-calls-for-u-s-to-take-in-venezuela-refugees

Very smart move in Harris’ part. I’m actually curious if Trump will oppose Harris or any other person that might be the Democratic nominee on this issue. 

These are refugees fleeing a authoritarian communist regime, many Cubans should be expected to sympathize with that. But still the white nationalists might not like it. 

Are you a part of the Cuban community?   As someone who regularly interacts with the Cuban community - no way I believe they will sympathize.  In general, Cubans are pretty anti any other Latino group.  Always individual exceptions of course.  The only people "worse" than Venezuelans are the Columbians, Mexicans, Dominicans etc etc etc.

The majority of Americans of Cuban descent are very pro-Trump.  And very racist. And very sexist.

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

Anyone else getting Harris (and only Harris) campaign emails?  I never signed up for them and she is constantly emailing me for money.  It's curious to me that she got my email when no other candidate has sent me anything.

Yes, I mentioned that near the bottom of page 12 in discussing why Harris may actually have better name recognition among probable Democratic primary voters than some people think. I have received way more emails from Kamala Harris the last couple of months than any other candidate. 

4 hours ago, aceluby said:

Come on now.... those people are shitty in church too :lol:

:cheers: Some of them really are!

I'm getting a lot of Harris emails and I'm just deleting them. 

Should I be offended I have not got any e-mails from Harris? I thought the point of all those ActBlue donations was so I would be in some database somewhere. I seem to recall from 2016 that all candidates have access to a donor list, no?

At any rate, at this point I just want Biden to opt out so the polls can start becoming more robust. It's a bit annoying having to read the tea leaves where the top candidate isnt even an official candidate.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

However, with the example that Ripp put up -- that is just a really nasty mean person and faith has nothing to do with it

Yeah, not the best example, I know. But what the Colorado Civil Rights Commission wrote in that case was the first example that came to my mind that seemed relevant for this thread.

3 hours ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

Those Cuban do not sympathize with anyone else.  They have always received enormous special treatment that no other immigrants, legal or illegal, every have -- and most of these Cubans are illegal too, behind a veil of 'asylum.'  They expect it, and besides the US is a cuck because Bay of Pigs and Castros are still alive. Do not ever think Miami Cuba (or even southern California or San Francisco Cuba) has any sympathy for any other spanish speaking people seeking to move to the US -- or anyone else.

Nor was or is Venezuela communist.  But it's oil does belong to Putin ....

The only reason Miami Cuba is interested in Venezuela is that they hope Venezuela and Bolton can be used as the pathway to taking over Cuba again -- by them.  If that is even tried, expect floods of blood.  A million armed Cubans will be out there, organized and trained, within an hour of them trying it.  And don't think the Cuban on the street doesn't know what is going on with this.  For the first time EVER in Cuba this last time, I got accosted by a Cuban about the US policies toward Cuba. This was a very angry woman who told me, "US keep your hands off Cuba."

12 hours ago, mormont said:

Well, the latter is widespread in the US and the former is not, to begin with.

It's true that many on the left are atheist and that many have issues with organised religion, even with evangelicals who weaponise their faith to oppress minorities. But where are these instances of people of faith 'being regarded as a lesser human'? Perhaps by a few in the extreme rationalist atheist community, but to be quite honest, those guys (and it is almost all guys) tend to be libertarians rather than leftists. 

Unless you subscribe to the 'war on Christmas' rhetoric, you're tilting at windmills with that one. 

It's there in the left no doubt about it, and not a rarely held view, IMO. Oddly enough frequently expressed by left-leaning comedians as part of their act. Comedians don't always express their honestly held views as part of their act, and indeed often express a view they oppose as if they agreed with it. But there are more than a few who aggressively rip into religion and the ridiculousness of faith. Artists (at least good ones) reflect and shape the views of people, and comedians are artists just as much as any other artist.

It's even expressed often enough right here (not just in the US politics thread) that one would have to willfully ignore it not to notice. Like most people who are not part of a group that gets belittled, one often glosses over statements that are hurtful, especially when you broadly agree with the sentiment: having faith is kinda dumb in an age of rationality.

Also, historically speaking leftists, when they get into power, have been as aggressive at suppressing all religion as any other ideology that has a hard time tolerating a competing point of authority for individuals and society.

Archived