US Politics: Make Thread Titles Great Again

Varysblackfyre321

36 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

If this was in reference to my comment, I was genuinely just curious as to where the line is because I joke like this with my friends all the time and don't think about it. Her comment just sparked a 'hmm' moment for me. It had nothing to do about the two things you brought up (Snoop and getting high)

It was not, just talking generally about the garbage fire that is twitter.

28 minutes ago, Gertrude said:

Dude, I'm not actually attacking her and have said repeatedly I don't think it's a mark against her. It was me trying to start a conversation but I forgot I was in the politics thread and that's not allowed.

eta: in reading back, I read this in a semi-aggressive tone, probably because it seemed like True Metis was snarking at me for something I didn't even say. If I misconstrued either of your intent, I apologize. If not, well then fuck you :p

(that last bit was a little snark by me - I hate that I have to clarify because fuck the internet and lack of body language for ruining a friendly 'fuck you' joke)

I’m wounded and deeply hurt by your incredibly offensive joke!  

:P

As far as a conversation goes, I just don’t think there’s much meat on this bone, and to me the most interesting part is looking at how bad the father-daughter relationship must be. There has to be some bad blood for him to come out and slam her publicly like that over a very mild joke. To me it sounds like she needed to pass it to the left to her pops because he needs to chill.  

3 hours ago, Morpheus said:

This Jussie Smollett thing is getting a lot more coverage than the coast guard today.

Ya -- that was everywhere on the sites I glanced at while away.  Chicago amigos tell me it is still utterly dominating every bit of media there.

@Tywin et al.It wasn't a conversation about Kamala specifically, just a general musing about the 'PC' culture in general. What's the line and what's the rationalization for' this is ok, this is not' when they seem similar. I know what my line is by gut, but when I try to define it, it gets blurry. This is where her Jamaican comment falls for me. I feel it's ok, but when I try to explain why, I fall a little short. That's all this is. And I'm ready for it to be dropped.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Doesn’t that just show you that she’s normal and not one of those Ivy League robots that can never relate to regular people? I honestly think it helps more than hurts her. The people who don’t like her will never like her, but people who are open to her candidacy will see someone they could have a beer with. Dumb as it is, it helps in politics.  

Is this is the same sort of thing as going after AOC for dancing on a roof when she was a college kid?  That backfired on the the jerks that thought the world seeing this would make the world despise and jeer at AOC, but instead world just shrugged, and if bothering to remark at all, said, "Hmm.  She's a good dancer."

Funny thing to me about the Harris situation is that (at least according to the article linked up thread) she admitted to smoking ‘a’ joint in college.  A joint? One?  Really? :lol:

The political calculus that must have gone into it is amusing to me.  OK team, we can admit to doing it - that should make the stoners happy and make it seem like we don’t have a stick up our ass- but only exactly ONE TIME.  In Harris’ defense, that’s probably what she disclosed on her security clearance forms and would be well advised to keep that consistent with public statements.  

In 1992 Clinton got away with admitting smoking weed but NOT inhaling.  In 27 years we’ve now moved on to ‘yea I smoked a joint for real - but only ONE!’  Progress is slow going sometimes.  I am curious to see how this kind of thing plays out in 20-30 years when weed (and derived products) will have been legal in many US states for the formative years of future politicians.  Back in my rebellious youth I ate ONE weed gummy bear that I got in Colorado!

We would never treat alcohol this way.  Nobody goes around saying, I admit to having A beer in college.  It’s perfectly fine to have gotten rip roarin’ fuckin’ wasted in college and it won’t hurt political chances whatsoever, yet it’s so much more immediately destructive.  Don’t get me wrong I like a few rounds of adult beverages myself now and again, but IMO regularly getting drunk is a lot more irresponsible than regularly getting high.  I’d be much more inclined to trust a stoner with something delicate or of importance than a drunk.  Like if I’m going out of town and I want someone to feed my goldfish, the stoner is getting that job.  

Doesn’t necessarily mean I want an active stoner behind the helm either, I just think it’s dumb that politicians need to treat marijuana with kid gloves while we elect politicians we’d ‘like to have a beer with.’  

The unresolved NC-9 election looks like it's heading for a redo.

Republican congressional candidate Mark Harris says a new election in North Carolina’s 9th Congressional District is warranted after allegations of ballot tampering.

Harris, during testimony this afternoon to the North Carolina State Board of Elections, said a new election was warranted in the hotly contested race, which Harris led by 905 votes.

Of course, this magnanimous gesture from Harris comes only after several people said that they committed election fraud on behalf of Harris, and that Harris' own son warned him not to hire Leslie MacCrae Dowless because he engaged in election fraud in the past. 

If the shoe were on the other foot, Trump would bring up Leslie McCrae Dowless every day for the next two years.  But since he's a Republican committing election fraud, nary a peep.

22 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

The unresolved NC-9 election looks like it's heading for a redo.

Of course, this magnanimous gesture from Harris comes only after several people said that they committed election fraud on behalf of Harris, and that Harris' own son warned him not to hire Leslie MacCrae Dowless because he engaged in election fraud in the past. 

If the shoe were on the other foot, Trump would bring up Leslie McCrae Dowless every day for the next two years.  But since he's a Republican committing election fraud, nary a peep.

And it's official as the Elections Board has ordered a new election

I'm not sure if it has the power to do so, but Harris should be disqualified from participating in the primary. Also, why haven't we heard anything about criminal referrals against Dowless, Britt and others?

Harris also testified he didn't know he was breaking campaign finance laws by coordinating with PACs to make payments to Dowless (yeah fucking right), so Harris should get a criminal referral also.

21 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

And it's official as the Elections Board has ordered a new election

I'm not sure if it has the power to do so, but Harris should be disqualified from participating in the primary. Also, why haven't we heard anything about criminal referrals against Dowless, Britt and others?

They’re white.

4 hours ago, Kalbear said:

The Harris bullshit is the same kind of bullshit they used to make people able to justify their racist instinct against Obama without being racist.

With Obama it was all about Kenya.  Which was wrong, tactically.  Dude spent a significant time growing up in Indonesia.  Wanna scare some dumb white people, that's where it's at.

4 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

I just think when things get rough, it is important to remain Cool as Ice. In fact, I might even venture to say, drop the conservative zero and get with the liberal hero.

This is awesome.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

There has to be some bad blood for him to come out and slam her publicly like that over a very mild joke. To me it sounds like she needed to pass it to the left to her pops because he needs to chill.  

I think this is really dumb speculation that shouldn't be done publicly by anyone that at least poses as a responsible adult.

2 hours ago, Gertrude said:

It wasn't a conversation about Kamala specifically, just a general musing about the 'PC' culture in general. What's the line and what's the rationalization for' this is ok, this is not' when they seem similar.

Kamala's dad and "musing" about PC culture have absolutely no correlation.  If you want to do the latter, cheers.  Probably agree with you.  But acting like there's any relationship between an ugly parent and PC-ness is kind of offensive in and of itself.  Honestly, what does anything about that have to do with PC?  It's a father shitting on his own daughter.

1 hour ago, S John said:

The political calculus that must have gone into it is amusing to me.  OK team, we can admit to doing it - that should make the stoners happy and make it seem like we don’t have a stick up our ass- but only exactly ONE TIME.  In Harris’ defense, that’s probably what she disclosed on her security clearance forms and would be well advised to keep that consistent with public statements.  

This isn't true and is entirely baseless.  She was asked if she smoked weed.  She said she did, in an entertaining way.  The amount had nothing to do with it, and never would.

3 hours ago, Gertrude said:

@Tywin et al.It wasn't a conversation about Kamala specifically, just a general musing about the 'PC' culture in general. What's the line and what's the rationalization for' this is ok, this is not' when they seem similar. I know what my line is by gut, but when I try to define it, it gets blurry. This is where her Jamaican comment falls for me. I feel it's ok, but when I try to explain why, I fall a little short. That's all this is. And I'm ready for it to be dropped.

Got it. I do think it's fair to be concerned about the liberal PC culture, especially when it's clear that conservatives don't give a F so long as you're good on guns and god. I mean, a majority of white women voted for a guy who said he can sexually assault them because he's a star.

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

Is this is the same sort of thing as going after AOC for dancing on a roof when she was a college kid?  That backfired on the the jerks that thought the world seeing this would make the world despise and jeer at AOC, but instead world just shrugged, and if bothering to remark at all, said, "Hmm.  She's a good dancer."

It's perhaps one of the dumbest attacks I've ever seen. "Hey everybody look, a cute young woman is dancing and imitating a popular movie. The Horror!"

2 hours ago, S John said:

In 1992 Clinton got away with admitting smoking weed but NOT inhaling.  In 27 years we’ve now moved on to ‘yea I smoked a joint for real - but only ONE!’  Progress is slow going sometimes.  I am curious to see how this kind of thing plays out in 20-30 years when weed (and derived products) will have been legal in many US states for the formative years of future politicians.  Back in my rebellious youth I ate ONE weed gummy bear that I got in Colorado!

I only ate one mushroom cap. I only snorted one line of Adderall. I just had one gummy of white lady. etc.

We would never treat alcohol this way.  Nobody goes around saying, I admit to having A beer in college.  It’s perfectly fine to have gotten rip roarin’ fuckin’ wasted in college and it won’t hurt political chances whatsoever, yet it’s so much more immediately destructive.  Don’t get me wrong I like a few rounds of adult beverages myself now and again, but IMO regularly getting drunk is a lot more irresponsible than regularly getting high.  I’d be much more inclined to trust a stoner with something delicate or of importance than a drunk.  Like if I’m going out of town and I want someone to feed my goldfish, the stoner is getting that job.  

Word. Some of my stories from HS and college would horrify people.

I only had one beer. On Thursday. June 8th, 2009. At 7pm. At Erick's house. Then I only had one beer. At 7:15om. In the alley. It was the only one I shotgunned. Between 7pm and 7:20pm. Scout's honors! 

17 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Word. Some of my stories from HS and college would horrify people.

I only had one beer. On Thursday. June 8th, 2009. At 7pm. At Erick's house. Then I only had one beer. At 7:15om. In the alley. It was the only one I shotgunned. Between 7pm and 7:20pm. Scout's honors! 

In college is where I truly got an appreciation for the quip by Lennin (or maybe someone else said it), "Quantity has a quality all its own". No fancy microbrews for me thank you. How about a good old cheap macrobrew.

8 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

In college is where I truly got an appreciation for the quip by Lennin (or maybe someone else said it), "Quantity has a quality all its own". No fancy microbrews for me thank you. How about a good old cheap macrobrew.

I felt this way too until I had a Red Dog beer. There are some lines one cannot cross again.

It is depressing to know though that my six pack of sours cost basically the same as a 24 of Bud light.

#cans

9 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Napoleon.

47 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

It is depressing to know though that my six pack of sours cost basically the same as a 24 of Bud light.

#cans

I'd take a sixer of Bud Light over any amount of sours, no matter the price.

Blech. 

47 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

I'd take a sixer of Bud Light over any amount of sours, no matter the price.

Blech. 

All I can think of in connection with this comment is that three nights ago my Cuban family brought out two very large bottles of very chilled Holland brew that looked so enticing.  It was hot.  It was humid.  I wanted whatever was in that bottle  I could not imagine what they'd done to find this to give to me.  So ... I admired it extravagantly and said with great reluctance, "Have to pack when I get back to the hotel, got meetings in the morning before heading to the airport.  I'm so sorry, I cannot partake." This was all true.  Particularly the reluctance, and most particularly how in the world did they find this beer for me?  But this means they get to drink it themselves. And that's the good part.

Archived