US Politics: Make Thread Titles Great Again

Varysblackfyre321

2 hours ago, DMC said:

All there is is your pathetic little bullshit trying to justify racist anger as legitimate qualms instead of calling it what it is.

Had another thought about this I felt like sharing.  I didn't comment about the Smollett case at all, including the brief period where people thought it was legitimate, and that was intentional.  Even if it was true, who cares?  It's one data point in literally thousands of cases per year.

At the same time, though, I'm not shocked nor pissed at the media for immediately reporting on it and consequently wildly speculating about "what it means" if a Hollywood star gets assaulted.  That's what a "free" media does. 

Got a problem with snap judgments and unfair accusations?  Cool, then let's actually work to maintain and reconstruct an objective and considered political media.  But your side (and don't give me your bullshit that you're not essentially a spokesman for that side @Altherion) are the ones that expound upon the greatness of unfettered and unregulated media.  Now you're gonna whine about the results?  Of the self-interest paradigm you bow to?

11 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

I am just stunned at the anger in Chicago being directed at Smollett. They went into so much detail about the evidence, detail I have never seen a police department reveal before, not only putting nails in his coffin but taking a nail gun and using a thousand nails to hammer that coffin shut. 

Pretty sad all round.

Just heard on NPR -- more than 24 detectives were working on the case. The clearance rate for murders in Chicago is TERRIBLE. Yet another thumb in the eye for the city. 

10 hours ago, Altherion said:

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Make no mistake, there is a lot of anger in the US within the people who are not doing well, but are not included in the set of groups favored by academia, the media and the elites. Ordinarily, they cannot express this anger as they will be demonized and punished for it, but this incident presents a rare acceptable target.

And incidentally, it's not just Breitbart and Trump supporters who are behind this. Here's a view from the kind of Christian conservative that used to be mainstream a few years ago:

There certainly is a lot of anger on the Right -- https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/public-safety/ex-coast-guard-lieutenant-ordered-held-for-14-days-while-government-weighs-terrorism-related-charges-in-his-planning-of-widespread-terrorist-attack/2019/02/21/57918f12-3573-11e9-854a-7a14d7fec96a_story.html?utm_term=.680c5fae4b9e

PC Culture persecution of white supremacy is to blame! We should be nicer to these folk -- right @Altherion?

Btw- using a the great white myth of MLK as a cudgel against Smollett is a real sweet move by the author of that bible-humping article that you posted.

Dr. Martin Luther King had experienced far more racism, violence, injustice, and hatred than Smollett is likely to see in a lifetime. Nonetheless, he remains a model of virtue for us not because he was a victim, but because he drew on the teaching of his faith to overcome hatred with love. Brotherhood that transcends identity is a Christian idea. It is an American idea. We must reclaim it, or perish.

Fuck off.

>>Brotherhood that transcends identity is a Christian idea. It is an American idea.

That's funny. I mean, even if it WERE a Christian idea, it could not be"American", unless they mean the old cultures, which I doubt and wouldn't quite fit, either.

10 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, the police chief's statement went waaaaaaay beyond what it should have. Why, for example, was it relative that one of the brothers sold Smollett recreational drugs, except to turn public opinion against him even more than the basic facts would have?

Probably to provide additional evidence that it wasn't that casual of an acquaintance, e.g. not possible that the brothers attacked him and he didn't recognize them, which at this point, seems to be his only course of a defense, since the police have made it very clear that the only people in the area at the time were the brothers and the timeline lines up perfectly that they "attacked" him.

18 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

Probably to provide additional evidence that it wasn't that casual of an acquaintance, e.g. not possible that the brothers attacked him and he didn't recognize them, which at this point, seems to be his only course of a defense, since the police have made it very clear that the only people in the area at the time were the brothers and the timeline lines up perfectly that they "attacked" him.

I can't imagine that the Chicago police department would try to improperly impugn the reputation of a gay, black man accused of filing a false police report. They are typically known for their professional restraint and respect for the black community. As I said, more than 24 detectives were reportedly investigating -- they got that footage much quicker than any ol' dashcam footage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/us/jason-van-dyke-chicago-laquan.html
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/chicago-police-bodycam-shows-moment-maurice-granton-jr-was-shot-n894741
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/17/video-shows-chicago-police-officer-shoot-unarmed-autistic-man
https://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-off-duty-chicago-officer-shooting-unarmed/story?id=58557754
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-police-board-charges-paul-oneal-20181015-story.html
https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/10/10000-files-on-chicago-police-torture-decades-now-online/504233/

Fred Hampton.

eta- It's amazing to see pearl clutching over a false police report of violence against a minority ... in the same week where a member of the US Coast Guard was arrested for stockpiling weapons to kill as many people as he could while striving to create a "white homeland". 

1 minute ago, Week said:

Yeah, Smollett is a victim of the Chicago Police Department.  That must be it. 

Just now, Cas Stark said:

Yeah, Smollett is a victim of the Chicago Police Department.  That must be it. 

The Chicago Police Department (and posters such as yourself) are either showing their true colors or are painfully blinded by their searing righteousness against filing false police reports. I mean, someone could have gotten hurt (...if they were a minority and the chicago police were present). /s

26 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

This wasn't a court. Why would the police need to evidence this point?

Just now, mormont said:

This wasn't a court. Why would the police need to evidence this point?

Well, it actually was 'a court' where the assistant state's attorney read the proffer.  Presumably, they have and needed evidence in order to charge him, the brothers testified before the grand jury, it doesn't seem that complicated, even not accounting for the massive negative publicity that this engendered for the City of Chicago, which isn't MAGA country by a long shot, or the wasted effort of the CPD on a fake crime.

9 hours ago, DMC said:

No.  Drink snake juice!

That reminds me, I really need to watch this show.

9 hours ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

You sleep too long.

We can't all be vampires. Makes sense that you'd defend mosquitoes. They're like your red headed step children. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Could be if she ever hears this amazing sound clip:

Meh, that was definitely..inelegant, but substantively he's right.  Men shouldn't be paid less, women should be paid more.  That goes for actors and generally.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

I guess you’re just a byproduct of Inhofe country.

#Aplebsayswhat

1) Them's fightin' words.

2) Sour beers are #FakeBeers and, by extension, are an ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE.

3) Shit son, my people been here longer than his people; if anything he's a byproduct of my country.

4) What? 

40 minutes ago, DMC said:

Meh, that was definitely..inelegant, but substantively he's right.  Men shouldn't be paid less, women should be paid more.  That goes for actors and generally.

He's not wrong, but the change in tone is hilarious. 

9 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

1) Them's fightin' words.

2) Sour beers are #FakeBeers and, by extension, are an ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE.

3) Shit son, my people been here longer than his people; if anything he's a byproduct of my country.

4) What? 

Go 6G yourself. 

11 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Go 6G yourself. 

You should have respect for my very, very, large brain, but I'm afraid I must PARDON myself, which is Totally CONSTITUTIONAL, so I can grab a hamberder before my MEETING, which the Haters and Losers don't want me to have.

#Ihavethebestwords

Archived