Will Selyse burn Shireen?

Impbread

5 hours ago, Lost Melnibonean said:

pale and hard as the memory of all warmth fled from him

People extend this imagery to cover Jon's death, future undeath, weird Otherization.   but it sounds like it only refers to a regular person's sad fate of being consigned to the Wall.   an early commentary on him missing out on the joys of life at that frigid prison post.

Chances are about zero that Shireen is going to be burned in the near future.

When she is burned, it will be her father, the guy obsessed with true sacrifice, its costs, and his destiny. Not her mother, who is at best a tertiary character in the books.

Having the bearded woman do it would make it an obviously evil act. Having 'the just guy' do it will make it a tragedy.

Nobody would ever believe Selyse were trying to do 'a good thing' by burning her daughter. But Stannis will. Shireen was always her father's sacrifice. 

There is also pretty much no chance something like that would fly in the immediate future at the Wall. I mean, does anybody believe the NW and the wildlings will just sit on their hands while Selyse Baratheon and her pitiful sworn swords and Mel's craven and crippled attendants will burn alive an innocent young girl?

True, there is Val's anti-greyscale sentiment, but words are one thing, and watching a child burn alive is quite another. If the wildlings ended up having the upper hand she may cut the girl's throat or suffocate her, but she would not burn her alive, or allow that to happen. Not to mention that the wildlings having the upper hand would not allow Mel/Selyse to actually conduct public sacrifices by burning people. Who would condone stuff like that? Who would believe the men around them would allow them to do that and/or would not punish them rather harshly if they did it or tried to do it?

And the idea that either Melisandre or Selyse are ever going to believe the contents of a letter written by Ramsay Bolton is completely absurd. Stannis is the savior, Azor Ahai Reborn. He is not going to die until his mission is accomplished.

There are also plenty of hints indicating that Shireen and Patchface have to play a role before things escalate. Shireen has greyscale and Val believes it will inevitably resurface again. So that's likely to happen sometime in the future, at least insofar as Shireen is going to infect others.

And Melisandre is afraid of Patches. There must be a reason for this. We know there seems to be a reason for Hodor's state of mind, and with that in mind Melisandre's musings about Patchface get an altogether more eerie vibe to it. If Shireen were to be burned in the near future, Patches would likely be put down along with her, especially if Melisandre were the one calling the shots there.

Remember, guys, Stannis is a fake savior. He will make things worse, not better. That cannot work if he is dead, or if he is going to be dead soon. If he sticks around for some time then his family can, too.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Patchface's great moment came when the fate of the Wall is decided, say. No clue how he might be responsible for that, but if he is going to play an ominous role it is likely connected to something like that. The guy essentially has been dead and came back, and not exactly in a good way. Somehow he knows stuff, and somehow something is very wrong with him and we have no clue why.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 7:39 AM, Impbread said:

Everyone assumes that is will be Stannis that burns his daughter but as of right now he has no access to her. I think that it will be his wife in an attempt to save him from the cold and snows of winter.  Im sure this has been brought up a million times in between books. What does everyone think? 

No Shireen is her only daughter and Stan's heir .

Having had another look, Selyse seems pretty keen on keeping her daughter safe.  Selyse is under the impression an attack will come to Eastwatch. I assume the attack Selyse is speaking of is Other related.

A Dance with Dragons - Jon IX   "Eastwatch is not safe." The queen put a hand on her daughter's shoulder. "This is the king's true heir. Shireen will one day sit the Iron Throne and rule the Seven Kingdoms. She must be kept from harm, and Eastwatch is where the attack will come. This Nightfort is the place my husband has chosen for our seat, and there we shall abide./

Edit: Stannis seems pretty keen on keeping is daughter alive.

Spoiler

The Winds of Winter - Theon I    The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "     " — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."     Ser Justin put one hand on his sword hilt. "On my honor as a knight, you have my word."

Granted the above spoiler takes into consideration that words are wind.

So far as I know there has only been one insinuated threat made against the health and well being of Shireen.  That was made by a wildling woman.

I'm gonna have to wait until martin writes the scene.

Archived