TTTNE 475 - for the Honour of Greyskull!

felice

12 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Thanks for the link I will definately have a look and show it to Mini Sith too!.

Tell us how she likes it. :P

10 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

And....I'm back. Oh my...sleeping 4 hours per day is nnot heathy....having exams that count 1% of the final  mark but that take you all of your night so as to be postponed some days.....not good either.

Remember to sleep enough!

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well we’ve come a long way in terms of being close, I guess that’s why it affected me so much. Well, I hope she’ll calm down a few days. Thanks. 

I am sure it will. :)

Yeah, it’s kinda difficult for me to not see sister as “little” even though she’s taller than me. Which she hates of course. But as she matured (yes, in past  simple because that’s pretty much out of the window now that she likes a new guy), we really found a common ground. I mean, I don’t think this is the end of all, I just don’t enjoy fighting with her and because we haven’t had many serious fights in the past half a year, i suppose I just got un-used-to it.

I still see my 16-year-old cousin as "little", despite the fact that he is way taller than me.

32 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Inhala - exhala. It’ll be fine. You’ll be great. And then it’ll all be over and it’ll be weekend you’ll be (momentarily) free to relax and have fun and do whatever the heck you want! :commie: 

I was told that I demand too much from them. :/ I am always worried that I am too lenient and don't expect enough, but apparently high schoolers are different. Some of them understood really quickly what I was trying to explain to them, and so I thought they all did and that was apparently too much and too quick.

On the weekend, I have more assignments. :angry: What the hell did I get myself into.

4 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I am sure it will. :)

I still see my 16-year-old cousin as "little", despite the fact that he is way taller than me.

I was told that I demand too much from them. :/ I am always worried that I am too lenient and don't expect enough, but apparently high schoolers are different. Some of them understood really quickly what I was trying to explain to them, and so I thought they all did and that was apparently too much and too quick.

On the weekend, I have more assignments. :angry: What the hell did I get myself into.

My cousin is only 14(?) and he’s taller than my dad. Crazy. 

Ah, that’s a very fair attitude though, it’s nice that teachers pay attention to the workload and pressure on high schoolers. I think that’s just something you have to learn to sense along the way as you become a teacher, isn’t it?. how much is enough probably varies from school to school, too. It also makes sense that you would overestimate their level of concentration and understanding, as you’ve been teaching adults so far. If that’s the only constructive feedback you got, I’m pretty sure your class was great. 

17 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

And....I'm back. Oh my...sleeping 4 hours per day is nnot heathy....having exams that count 1% of the final  mark but that take you all of your night so as to be postponed some days.....not good either.

Ah, and I finally managed to organise my pictionary sheet. It took a couple of hours as well, XD.

@Bittersweet Distractor I've not been able to listen to your songs, yet. I wanted to do it in a calm moment, but just arrived at 22h today at home, and since then, I've only been having supper, Pictionary and responding to basic whatsapp messages. These last three days have been insane. 

My god, I still need to take a shower and go to sleep...

That’s ok, I hope you have a more relaxing time now :), they’re not really calm songs btw :P.

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Well we’ve come a long way in terms of being close, I guess that’s why it affected me so much. Well, I hope she’ll calm down a few days. Thanks. 

I’m sure you guys will be ok and it’s really normal that siblings have fights, you should see my fiancée and her sister, they’re always having heated arguments with each other, it’s always in Russian though so I have no clue what they’re saying!.

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

She liked him, she doesn’t really understand what she’s watching yet but she watched a bit and he got a smile out of her and an excited arm wave!.

Ah, that’s a very fair attitude though, it’s nice that teachers pay attention to the workload and pressure on high schoolers. I think that’s just something you have to learn to sense along the way as you become a teacher, isn’t it?. how much is enough probably varies from school to school, too. It also makes sense that you would overestimate their level of concentration and understanding, as you’ve been teaching adults so far. If that’s the only constructive feedback you got, I’m pretty sure your class was great. 

Yeahhhh ... I am probably taking this too personally and too seriously, as usual, but it just bothers me.

It is just ... with every lesson I give, I just become more certain that this is not what I see myself doing for a few years, let alone my whole life. Honestly, I don't like it, now I get confirmation that I am no good at it (which is objectively nonsense, you cannot be good at something as a beginner, you need to practice and work on it and shit), and I feel terrible about even doing that program when I could and should better be working on the topic of my PhD ... but that one will make me even less employable and does not feel so urgent right now, so I don't.

/ignore me, I am being melanholic and stressed and feel shitty about my whole life this week

31 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I’m sure you guys will be ok and it’s really normal that siblings have fights, you should see my fiancée and her sister, they’re always having heated arguments with each other, it’s always in Russian though so I have no clue what they’re saying!.

You should learn Russian! ;)

21 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

She liked him, she doesn’t really understand what she’s watching yet but she watched a bit and he got a smile out of her and an excited arm wave!.

I am sure she is a very cute little galaxy ruler. :)

15 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

That’s ok, I hope you have a more relaxing time now :), they’re not really calm songs btw :P.

Yeah I know, I’m sure it’ll be fine. I just don’t like being in fights with people. 

aw damn, I need to revive my Russian too. It was always basic at best, but now it’s essentially down to being able to read Cyrillic and say thank you and order/buy/ask basic stuff with awful grammar. It’s sad, Russian sounds so pretty, it’s just soooo hard to learn and so easy to forget. 

14 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Yeahhhh ... I am probably taking this too personally and too seriously, as usual, but it just bothers me.

It is just ... with every lesson I give, I just become more certain that this is not what I see myself doing for a few years, let alone my whole life. Honestly, I don't like it, now I get confirmation that I am no good at it (which is objectively nonsense, you cannot be good at something as a beginner, you need to practice and work on it and shit), and I feel terrible about even doing that program when I could and should better be working on the topic of my PhD ... but that one will make me even less employable and does not feel so urgent right now, so I don't.

/ignore me, I am being melanholic and stressed and feel shitty about my whole life this week

I have to agree with that, yeah. 

I totally understand where you’re coming from, but please be aware that this is a very perfectionist and unapologetic approach to yourself. This was your absolute first time teaching these age groups. Working with people in general is very difficult because there’s only so much you can control. Success also depends on the others’ mood, competencies, willingness to cooperate, reaction to your attempts to cooperate and those are quite difficult things to influence in one single lesson. It takes time to sense them, to find best way to work with each person, each group. I don’t think it’s possible to determine whether you’re good at something or not based on one try, especially it involves working with other people. And I’d also give it another go or two before you get certainty whether you like it or not. It was your first time, you were nervous, totally out of your comfort zone, hardly anybody enjoys that. You might feel differently once you are more comfortable with the situation. /ramble 

sorry about that awful long philosorhaenys piece, your experience just reminded me of something similar I had. 

Anyway, I hope you get a relaxing weekend and who knows, maybe you’ll reevaluate the teaching experience once you aren’t that frustrated anymore. 

As for me, we went day drinking with a friend yesterday. Technically, it was happy hour-ish, or somewhat earlier. Well it was fun and I feel like I really needed it. we talked about a lot of stuff and had fun and let out some steam, it was very nice. 

25 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

philosorhaenys

*like*

I survived! The fourth grade high school - about 18 years, they are finishing high school in a few months - were very mixed, some understood everything they were supposed to, some did not. But the professor said that was fine and to expect. He said I looked a lot more confident today and the lesson was better than yesterday's. Also, he asked yesterday's students what was their impression of yesterday's lesson, and they apparently said they liked it and if they were to grade me, they would give me the highest. :P

So there's that.

Now I have to wait before I go back to that school to get some paperwork sorted out, and then I am almost done with this nonsense.

In other news, it is sunny and so prettily springy, I am sitting outside in a café. Spring is here! The problem is, the weatherman said it is going to be cold again on the weekend and next week. I want spring to continue!

On 3/7/2019 at 7:59 AM, RhaenysBee said:

My god, this sounds rough. You need to rest and take care of yourself. I hope whatever caused this level of being busy,it will pass soon and you can get back on a normal human schedule. 

On 3/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, Buckwheat said:

19 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Thanks girls, I'm feeling better. The last days of the week have less work weight and I slept a little bit more. Schedules are gonna be busy till second week of APril, just after my mid term exams, because I am doing a special course hold by the uni professors bc the uni professors don't teach a programming language at class and I'm unable to learn it on my own, and it appears in the exam. Apart from that....well, I'll also not be able to attend all those extra classes bc I have other duties and classes overlap others. 

Now today I need to focus on my studies at home or eitherway I won't be able to attend any leisure  activity this weekend. I have a lot to revise.

On another side of events, my pupil had her first Maths exam. She got a 5.5 out ot 10 points. Well, it's not outstanding, but she used to fail before. I hope I can do my classes better, they are starting to understand things and are good at doing exercises on their own, even if some mistakes still appear.

...greetings spamlanders...congrats on new thread @felice :cheers:

...it seems like the rate of spam has picked up lately

...i have embraced the cartoon theme...now who can guess my favorite...well maybe not my favorite but he is channeling me in this photo

...and to the wonderful Ladies of spamland happy day...

...however i think ladies deserve at least a month and actually women should be celebrated every day!

special shout out to the Ladies who make my world livable... @She who must be Obeyed, my Number One Niece...

and @Fragile Bird, my Lady from north of the Wall...

:smoking:

6 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

*like*

I survived! The fourth grade high school - about 18 years, they are finishing high school in a few months - were very mixed, some understood everything they were supposed to, some did not. But the professor said that was fine and to expect. He said I looked a lot more confident today and the lesson was better than yesterday's. Also, he asked yesterday's students what was their impression of yesterday's lesson, and they apparently said they liked it and if they were to grade me, they would give me the highest. :P

So there's that.

Now I have to wait before I go back to that school to get some paperwork sorted out, and then I am almost done with this nonsense.

In other news, it is sunny and so prettily springy, I am sitting outside in a café. Spring is here! The problem is, the weatherman said it is going to be cold again on the weekend and next week. I want spring to continue!

See, you are not "not good" at teaching. And kids are pretty mean and critical, so that's kinda big. 

This program will get you a teaching license or what exactly will being done with it mean? 

Same here, it's already starting to rain. It's the third week of beautiful weather during the workweek and rain and/or cold at the weekend. Weird. 

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Thanks girls, I'm feeling better. The last days of the week have less work weight and I slept a little bit more. Schedules are gonna be busy till second week of APril, just after my mid term exams, because I am doing a special course hold by the uni professors bc the uni professors don't teach a programming language at class and I'm unable to learn it on my own, and it appears in the exam. Apart from that....well, I'll also not be able to attend all those extra classes bc I have other duties and classes overlap others. 

Now today I need to focus on my studies at home or eitherway I won't be able to attend any leisure  activity this weekend. I have a lot to revise.

On another side of events, my pupil had her first Maths exam. She got a 5.5 out ot 10 points. Well, it's not outstanding, but she used to fail before. I hope I can do my classes better, they are starting to understand things and are good at doing exercises on their own, even if some mistakes still appear.

That sounds busy and complicated and annoying. Hope the classes will be fine and you get to breathe in april. 

Make sure to rest and have fun at the weekend :cheers: 

Congrats to your pupil, that's surely a step in the right direction.

And yes, happy international women's day to everybody who celebrates it! 

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Yeah I know, I’m sure it’ll be fine. I just don’t like being in fights with people. 

aw damn, I need to revive my Russian too. It was always basic at best, but now it’s essentially down to being able to read Cyrillic and say thank you and order/buy/ask basic stuff with awful grammar. It’s sad, Russian sounds so pretty, it’s just soooo hard to learn and so easy to forget. 

I have to agree with that, yeah. 

I totally understand where you’re coming from, but please be aware that this is a very perfectionist and unapologetic approach to yourself. This was your absolute first time teaching these age groups. Working with people in general is very difficult because there’s only so much you can control. Success also depends on the others’ mood, competencies, willingness to cooperate, reaction to your attempts to cooperate and those are quite difficult things to influence in one single lesson. It takes time to sense them, to find best way to work with each person, each group. I don’t think it’s possible to determine whether you’re good at something or not based on one try, especially it involves working with other people. And I’d also give it another go or two before you get certainty whether you like it or not. It was your first time, you were nervous, totally out of your comfort zone, hardly anybody enjoys that. You might feel differently once you are more comfortable with the situation. /ramble 

sorry about that awful long philosorhaenys piece, your experience just reminded me of something similar I had. 

Anyway, I hope you get a relaxing weekend and who knows, maybe you’ll reevaluate the teaching experience once you aren’t that frustrated anymore. 

As for me, we went day drinking with a friend yesterday. Technically, it was happy hour-ish, or somewhat earlier. Well it was fun and I feel like I really needed it. we talked about a lot of stuff and had fun and let out some steam, it was very nice. 

I can’t learn Russian! it sounds so difficult and they have a weird alphabet.

Mini Sith and Mini Sith 2(when they come along) will learn it though.

Buck, I’m sure you’d make a great teacher, if you’re not getting enjoyment out of it though maybe scale back on your teaching and concentrate on finishing your own studies?.

Meera, have a well deserved weekend rest!.

Happy women’s day to everyone :commie:.

The thread that does end but comes back like a zombie eating my brains away.

Where is the jello? Where are the people I know? Why did I log onto the board after years of silence? Does anyone still have Naked Hatted Avatar pics? Is this still a place of outlandish behavior? Is there still Jello wrestling? If there is still wrestling why has no one sent me a pic? Why do I suddenly feel like the old gal? Where is the alcohol and late night chats that are totally inappropriate, yet ends up with you married? shit I am old

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

This program will get you a teaching license or what exactly will being done with it mean?

Yes. I will be qualified to apply for jobs in public schools and some other organisations.

27 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

can’t learn Russian! it sounds so difficult and they have a weird alphabet.

Mini Sith and Mini Sith 2(when they come along) will learn it though.

Is Russian your fiancée's native language? I am sure she would appreciate at least the effort from you.

I had a discussion about it with the supernatural entity about this once. We both agreed that if we were to be more serious, I would kind of expect him to learn my language at least well enough to communicate about simple things with my family members who don't know any other language. He agreed. I think it is a basic thing of respect between partners that one learns the language of the other, if they have different native languages.

That is a good opportunity for Mini Sith! Bilingual children are very lucky.

Is this ... an announcement that there will be Mini Sith 2 in the foreseeable future? :o;)  

27 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Buck, I’m sure you’d make a great teacher, if you’re not getting enjoyment out of it though maybe scale back on your teaching and concentrate on finishing your own studies?.

I enjoy teaching adults at the language school enough for now. :) And well, I do want to earn money! I don't get any for my own studies, and if I only did that, I would end up with no job experience and a completely unnecessary PhD, so basically unemployable. Cannot do that with my life.

21 minutes ago, Ghosts Companion said:

The thread that does end but comes back like a zombie eating my brains away.

Where is the jello?

Have you looked in the cupboard in the corner?

Where are the people I know?

No idea, who are you looking for?

Why did I log onto the board after years of silence?

No idea. But welcome back!

Does anyone still have Naked Hatted Avatar pics?

No.

Is this still a place of outlandish behavior?

I ... assume? I have heard old stories of even more outlandish behaviour in ye olden times, so now we must be relatively tame.

Is there still Jello wrestling? If there is still wrestling why has no one sent me a pic? Why do I suddenly feel like the old gal? Where is the alcohol and late night chats that are totally inappropriate, yet ends up with you married? shit I am old

I have no idea what any of these things reference.

7 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Also, happy Women's Day to all the spammettes! :commie:@RhaenysBee @HelenaExMachina @Pebble @Lany Freelove Cassandra @Bittersweet Distractor and Mini Sith @Lady Olenna and Mini LadyO @Kobayashi Maru @felice @Meera of Tarth @the maid of woodlynne and other great TTTNE ladies!

:commie:and to you, lady flower! Who run the world? SQUIRRELS!

*bad cheesy music time*

Sorry @Bittersweet Distractor, I will link some actual music later in penance 

4 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

...greetings spamlanders...congrats on new thread @felice :cheers:

...it seems like the rate of spam has picked up lately

...i have embraced the cartoon theme...now who can guess my favorite...well maybe not my favorite but he is channeling me in this photo

...and to the wonderful Ladies of spamland happy day...

...however i think ladies deserve at least a month and actually women should be celebrated every day!

special shout out to the Ladies who make my world livable... @She who must be Obeyed, my Number One Niece...

and @Fragile Bird, my Lady from north of the Wall...

:smoking:

:wub: hey sniffer. Nice to see you, to see you nice (ehhhhh, Bruce!) Hope things are well with you.

Number One Niece is awesome btw, big thanks to her for liaising with you over Christmas :)

eta; I handled my first real client the other week, it was a great feeling of accomplishment!

4 hours ago, Ghosts Companion said:

Where is the jello? Where are the people I know? Why did I log onto the board after years of silence? Does anyone still have Naked Hatted Avatar pics?

Welcome back! :D NHAW pretty much died with the Floob, unfortunately :( You'll have to make up a new batch of jello, but there are plenty of cases of crystals in the dungeon, in a very wide range of flavours. (Like, very wide. Seriously, I'm kind of disturbed that some of them even exist! But there's no accounting for taste...)

There's been a fair bit of turnover, but the Thread is still full of good people - stick around! It's been going through a slow patch in recent years, but seems to be picking up a bit now.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Squirrels?

Also, there is no such thing as bad time for bad music. :P

I know it was a few week short ago now but surely you haven’t forgot that reference already? :P squirrel flu!

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

hey sniffer. Nice to see you, to see you nice (ehhhhh, Bruce!) Hope things are well with you.

Number One Niece is awesome btw, big thanks to her for liaising with you over Christmas :)

greetings my friend Helena... i assume bruce is in ref to my cartoon dawg...nope he is Droopy Dog...not much like except in this photo...

yes SwmbO is my Number One...she has taken care of me ever since i returned from VietNam totally fucked up. she was 13 and did more to get me healed than doctors or family... and then gave me a place to hang out whenever i was in usa during the rest of my navy career...and now since i am an old fart she shares her home with me and ignores my faults...my grievous faults...hahahahahhaha

5 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

eta; I handled my first real client the other week, it was a great feeling of accomplishment!

cheers to you, well done... :cheers:

to all of my spamily Ladies...y'all are just rocking your lives, families and careers...makes this salty old asshole proud to know each of you...

one day it is my hope to toast each of you in person...y'all need to come visit the wonderful southeastern usa...i shall show you a good time

:hat:

Archived