TTTNE 475 - for the Honour of Greyskull!

felice

3 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Have the teenage boys tried to awkwardly flirt with you or anything?.

I'm in a very good happy mood actually, I've recently got back from some music practice with friends and really enjoyed it :D, than had bath time with Mini Sith.

Haha, maybe? I am notoriously bad at noticing people flirting (either with me - they don't typically do that - or other people among each other). But that would be super inappropriate, I am supposed to be the younger version of their teacher. :P And they are, you know, between 15 and 17 mostly, maybe some already 18. But no, I don't think they did that at all.

Their teacher said to me that some of them started talking in class just to get noticed because there was a new person in class and they wanted to be noticed. Also one of them started talking to me after their class, asking me questions such as what I am doing at their school and whether I was going to teach their class (I had to disappoint him and tell him that probably no).

2 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Haha, maybe? I am notoriously bad at noticing people flirting (either with me - they don't typically do that - or other people among each other). But that would be super inappropriate, I am supposed to be the younger version of their teacher. :P And they are, you know, between 15 and 17 mostly, maybe some already 18. But no, I don't think they did that at all.

Their teacher said to me that some of them started talking in class just to get noticed because there was a new person in class and they wanted to be noticed. Also one of them started talking to me after their class, asking me questions such as what I am doing at their school and whether I was going to teach their class (I had to disappoint him and tell him that probably no).

It sounds like they're quite nice and respectful overall then, that is good! :D.

7 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

It sounds like they're quite nice and respectful overall then, that is good! :D.

Yep. I mean, I only now realise what an odd brand of people teenagers actually are. I am amazed at how goofy and how smartly creative they are at the same time. The teacher showed me some of the posters and photographs the students made and they are real art. And then some of them just have the goofiest and stupidest ideas. :D They are actually adorable.

Yep, that confirms it - I like high schoolers way better than primary schoolers.

23 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yep. I mean, I only now realise what an odd brand of people teenagers actually are. I am amazed at how goofy and how smartly creative they are at the same time. The teacher showed me some of the posters and photographs the students made and they are real art. And then some of them just have the goofiest and stupidest ideas. :D They are actually adorable.

Yep, that confirms it - I like high schoolers way better than primary schoolers.

That is surprising to me, I would have thought primary schoolers would have been more fun and easy to deal with!, if you enjoy working with teenagers that is probably an art in itself!.

50 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Bump.

Survived another day among teenage boys. They are ... fine. Actually I am positively surprised, I used to think this school was worse, but it turns out it is quite nice. Yes, that is my high school snobbishness coming through - we have some schools that have a good reputation, these are mostly "gymnasium" types, and this one is not among them, it is more of a technical school (although it also has the "gymnasium" program). Anyway, the boys (almost all boys) are being surprisingly good, as far as I have gathered until now. But tomorrow, I actually have to stand before them and teach them something and maintain control (while showing them pictures of very naked renaissance and antique stuatues, no less). Keep your fingers crossed for me, spammers!

On the bright side, holidays are coming! 27th April, 1st and 2nd May are all holidays here, and I have no classes next week, and no school internship, since high schoolers also have holidays. I will be mostly preparing for the classes the following week, but I do want to take some time off too. At least a little.

How is everybody? It is surprisingly calm here, so I suppose everybody is either really busy with work or has a great life and does not want to lose valuable time on the Internet.

I'm glad you are liking school! 

We have only one day of holidays here next week and also elections and I don't know who to vote.

As for the assumptions, well, if only...I've been going out even on working days trying just not to....think. Not that it works. At all...

1 hour ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

That is surprising to me, I would have thought primary schoolers would have been more fun and easy to deal with!, if you enjoy working with teenagers that is probably an art in itself!.

You consider primary schoolers as between 6 and 10 years of age or whatever the British school system says? Here, primary school is up to the age of 14/15. Just so we are on the same page.

I still most enjoy working with adults. But generally, the older the non-adult students, the better for me. Because with the younger ones, there is still so much other stuff - you are responsible for them more the younger they are. You can expect teenagers to know they are the ones responsible for their own school success and learning, and even just stuff like walking in a group or sending them to fetch something. In this school, the habit seems to be that the students themselves report the absent schoolmates of the day and they know who is responsible for bringing food from the kitchen for the week, and for clearing the whiteboard. It is just easier to organise stuff with people who can be reasonably expected to remember and care about their assignments on some level. With the very young children, you are responsible for so much than their knowledge of your subject. I want to concentrate on the subject I am teaching. I don't really want to be personally responsible for keeping 10-year-olds alive and healthy every day.

Also, the older they are, the smarter they are, obviously. You can talk about the subject more in-depth with smarter people, that is just a fact. A 12-year-old won't be able to read, write and talk on the same level as a 17-year-old. I mean, by that argument, I should be teaching university students. And I dearly wish I can do that one day. (Although a friend who does that already warned me that the smarter you as the professor are, the dumber the students seem to you.) But still, my point is, teenagers' brains are so much more evolved that they can grasp abstract stuff and they can be really creative and artsy, and supporting their projects (making posters, presentations, theatre club, whatever they do at a school) seems like something worth all the attention.

BTW, I still like smaller children, I like being around them (maybe not 20 of them at the same time, though). I do wish to have my own child one day. I just don't want my work to involve being responsible for large groups of them every day.

Buckwheat, you are such an elitist! :P 

seriously, I can totally understand that it’s easier to work with students who are clever and well-behaved. Then again, there’s a challenge in achieving focus and actual learning with undisciplined students, and the less students know, the farther they can be developed. We had soooo many sociopolitical debates about this issue at uni. Those were the days. (No they weren’t, even in retrospect,  I barely enjoyed uni. Time didn’t Improve the memories) 

anyway, I’m glad your teaching is going well, and have a great week off next week. We’ll only have 1st May off, but that’s something at least. 

Sister’s graduation is next Saturday. Exciting times. I wonder if she’ll take her final exams with success and gets accepted to uni. 

Meanwhile, my cousin was accepted to the most unlikely schools of all. I personally would never send a kid like my cousin to that particular school, but that’s hardly my call. Anyway, my mother is unduly upset about this. One would think that she is past the age-old whose kid is better (aka. higher performer) rivalry, given that her kids are, you know, both grown up, technically. Well I won’t go into this particular rant, and luckily I was level headed enough to not go into this discussion with my mother either. It would have upset me greatly to find out that maybe she’s jealous of my cousin’s “success” as she is disappointed in sister. Her disappointment is completely one sided, unfounded and  sad and it has a very bad effect on sister. 

Moving on. I’m currently at a cafe because I mixed up the theatre schedule and the play I’m seeing starts an after later than I thought. This is the first time in... a long time that I’m just sitting somewhere casually, not working from my phone or thinking about work. Aww the joy. I don’t even mind the cigarette and traffic smoke all around. It’s also 32C. What a joke. 

On 4/25/2019 at 10:28 PM, Buckwheat said:

You consider primary schoolers as between 6 and 10 years of age or whatever the British school system says? Here, primary school is up to the age of 14/15. Just so we are on the same page.

I still most enjoy working with adults. But generally, the older the non-adult students, the better for me. Because with the younger ones, there is still so much other stuff - you are responsible for them more the younger they are. You can expect teenagers to know they are the ones responsible for their own school success and learning, and even just stuff like walking in a group or sending them to fetch something. In this school, the habit seems to be that the students themselves report the absent schoolmates of the day and they know who is responsible for bringing food from the kitchen for the week, and for clearing the whiteboard. It is just easier to organise stuff with people who can be reasonably expected to remember and care about their assignments on some level. With the very young children, you are responsible for so much than their knowledge of your subject. I want to concentrate on the subject I am teaching. I don't really want to be personally responsible for keeping 10-year-olds alive and healthy every day.

Also, the older they are, the smarter they are, obviously. You can talk about the subject more in-depth with smarter people, that is just a fact. A 12-year-old won't be able to read, write and talk on the same level as a 17-year-old. I mean, by that argument, I should be teaching university students. And I dearly wish I can do that one day. (Although a friend who does that already warned me that the smarter you as the professor are, the dumber the students seem to you.) But still, my point is, teenagers' brains are so much more evolved that they can grasp abstract stuff and they can be really creative and artsy, and supporting their projects (making posters, presentations, theatre club, whatever they do at a school) seems like something worth all the attention.

BTW, I still like smaller children, I like being around them (maybe not 20 of them at the same time, though). I do wish to have my own child one day. I just don't want my work to involve being responsible for large groups of them every day.

Yes, to me primary school is like 5-11.

If you want some practice dealing with smaller children you are very welcome to babysit Mini Sith! :P.

It is very windy today and we have been outside for a bit and she didn’t like it at all!.

1 hour ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Yes, to me primary school is like 5-11.

If you want some practice dealing with smaller children you are very welcome to babysit Mini Sith! :P.

It is very windy today and we have been outside for a bit and she didn’t like it at all!.

After this program, I mostly won't be expected to teach such little ones. These usually still have one teachers teach all the subjects, except foreign lenguages, and most don't learn German at that level. But I will be qualified to teach the ones about 11 and the high schoolers German and Slovene.

I taught a part of the lesson yesterday and it worked well, I think. The professor had some comments, both positive and negative, but seemed pretty happy with my performance overall.

Oh great. :P I am sure dealing with one at a time is easier than dealing with 20!

She is smart, wind can indeed be quite annoying. But maybe when she gets older, she will notice some fun activities you can do when it is windy, like flying a kite!

20 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’m currently at a cafe because I mixed up the theatre schedule and the play I’m seeing starts an after later than I thought. This is the first time in... a long time that I’m just sitting somewhere casually, not working from my phone or thinking about work. Aww the joy. I don’t even mind the cigarette and traffic smoke all around. It’s also 32C. What a joke. 

32??!!

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

After this program, I mostly won't be expected to teach such little ones. These usually still have one teachers teach all the subjects, except foreign lenguages, and most don't learn German at that level. But I will be qualified to teach the ones about 11 and the high schoolers German and Slovene.

I taught a part of the lesson yesterday and it worked well, I think. The professor had some comments, both positive and negative, but seemed pretty happy with my performance overall.

Oh great. :P I am sure dealing with one at a time is easier than dealing with 20!

She is smart, wind can indeed be quite annoying. But maybe when she gets older, she will notice some fun activities you can do when it is windy, like flying a kite!

What foreign languages are most taught at school there?, German and English?.

Yes she really didn’t like the wind much, but then she gets affected by it lots more as she’s only little and can get blown around.

Speaking to other friends with kids I definitely think she is quite a good baby!.

29 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Yes she really didn’t like the wind much, but then she gets affected by it lots more as she’s only little and can get blown around.

Speaking to other friends with kids I definitely think she is quite a good baby!.

I like the wind :(

And that probably has a lot to do with you guys being good parents. Not that I’m trying to imply others are bad parents if their kid is fussy. But I’m sure it helps if the parents are doing a good job. 

Anyway, the Lindt store at my local mall is offering all sizes of Golden bunnies 50% off. :devil:  

I’m in such a rut this weekend. I’m terribly tired which doesn’t help tolerating all the other unfavorable circumstances. 

Thr Wizard of Oz musical (or this version of it) was painfully low effort and low budget. But they had a live dog for Toto and it was generally cute and I was in a forgiving mood back inn Friday so it was fine. I just don’t understand the concept. You could probably sell something this for double the price as well. So why keep it so painfully low budget? But fine. Low budget. At least do everything you possible can to make the most out of what you have. And this is something they didn’t do. That was actually my problem with the adaptation. A little kid in the rest room complained that it was different from the storybook :lol: that was so so cute. And the lion actor was very connected to the audience and I’m sure the kids loved getting to touch his costume’s tail and stroke his main and all that. That was cute too. 

I’m not sure this is clear, but I want to point out that the Wizard of Oz and my weekend rut are not in any way connected. 

2 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Almost everybody learns English in school. The second most popular is probably German, yes. Some schools also offer other options, such as French, Italian, Russian, Spanish.

On 4/28/2019 at 2:57 PM, Buckwheat said:

Almost everybody learns English in school. The second most popular is probably German, yes. Some schools also offer other options, such as French, Italian, Russian, Spanish.

My fiancee has given up with me and languages, she can speak 4 fluently, I can speak one fairly fluently, German and Russian seem so hard!.

23 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

My fiancee has given up with me and languages, she can speak 4 fluently, I can speak one fairly fluently, German and Russian seem so hard!.

Ah, they are only hard if you are afraid of them. ;) I would recommend learning one at a time, though.

Which ones did you learn in school?

6 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Aww man. I opened instagram for 1/10 of a second and bamm. Got spoilers are unavoidable. Which is a shame because at this point there isn’t much to this show other than the element of surprise and shock value. 

yeah memes everywhere

Archived