TTTNE 475 - for the Honour of Greyskull!

felice

3 hours ago, First of My Name said:
  Hide contents

I thought this season was poorly written and rushed, but yeah, I'm fine with the ending itself. I disagree that they didn't have enough material though, it was the opposite. They rushed through a book's worth of material in six episodes, I'm not sure how you think this could have fitted in less episodes when making shortcuts in the story to get where the characters needed to be faster was this season's biggest problem (looking at Daenerys here). 

I know you are not alone in your feelings on this, in fact I seem to be more the outlier as usual. :)

Spoiler

As for the writing? I can't say I really noticed it aside from how little tension there was - and tension is what drives good writing, right? Maybe you have a point in that Dany vs. Jon/Aegon should have created some anxiety, but instead it felt like, "Oh poor mopey Jon, whatever will he do?? OH! He stabbed her?! Didn't see that coming!" That could have been better written to at least give a hint what was coming. As it was Dany's death by her lover's hand felt about as exciting as a sneeze.

Just for fun let's do an episode by episode comparison of what we each saw as the highlights:

episode 1: All the "good" characters gather in WF. Theon frees Yara then goes to join them. Euron and Cersei have sex (yawn! surprisingly, I had foolishly thought this would be entertaining when & if). Bronn gets sent to WF to kill Jaime and Tyrion.

episode 2: All the "good" characters sit around preparing for the NK to arrive. Jaime knights Brienne, Ayra forces Gendry to have sex. Bronn spares T & J after making a deal with them.

episode 3: The NK and his undead army descend on WF and kick their butts. In his moment of triumph Arya sticks him with the pointy end and the NK and his army go "Poof!"

episode 4: Did anything happen in this ep? Oh yeah, another dragon dies and Missandei gets beheaded setting up . . .

episode 5: Dany gets her revenge on everybody for hating on her. Although I have to admit, seeing KL get toasted by Drogon while the people ran was epic in a chilling way. Somehow the deaths of Jaime and Cersei are made to feel like afterthoughts. Oh and the Hound finally gets revenge on big brother - that was actually kind of OK.

episode 6: Jon has a burden to deal with and finally he does something noteworthy assassinating/killing his queen/lover (pity he didn't say, "For the Watch!" as he did so). Tyrion kings Bran and all our characters go off to their (mostly) happy fates. Does Tyrion ever find Tysha? I think D&D might have forgotten about her.

To repeat myself, I didn't see much happening this season outside the two big battles. Yes, a lot of characters died, but we expected that - it's the end of the show. When they killed of Ned Stark in season one it's a shock (unless you read the books). But when Missandei, or the Hound, or Theon, or any of those characters goes bye-bye in the final season  - that's expected, and in many cases, long overdue (what Beric is still around in s.8? How is that even possible?).

On 5/22/2019 at 2:44 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I also heavily dislike summer fashion, the options for client appropriate yet 30+C friendly workwear are terribly limited. And I’m not a fan of short skirts or shorts. (Not short) Flowy dresses, sure, but that’s what you only get to wear on vacation for the most part. God, I’m awful. Such a Scrooge to summer. Sorry, summer. 

I suppose I can be happy that I don't work in a very formal environment. A casual t-shirt and a short (just above the knees) skirt is what I would wear on hot days, and nobody has complained as of yet. One of my coworkers once wore two different converse sneakers. Also one was once asked to go teach a business German class in some office on that day. She said she would go, but the problem was, she was wearing a tracksuit that day. The boss said it was fine. So yeah, we don't have a dress code.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

I suppose I can be happy that I don't work in a very formal environment. A casual t-shirt and a short (just above the knees) skirt is what I would wear on hot days, and nobody has complained as of yet. One of my coworkers once wore two different converse sneakers. Also one was once asked to go teach a business German class in some office on that day. She said she would go, but the problem was, she was wearing a tracksuit that day. The boss said it was fine. So yeah, we don't have a dress code.

:eek: Wow that Sounds like Heaven. 

We don’t have a strict dress code in the office either, we do wear jeans and sneakers and such there, but we do keep to at least business casual when we meet clients. There’s a level of flexibility but it Certainly doesn’t involve tracksuits or shorts. That’s fine with me, I hate shorts anyway. But it does get irksome above 30 or below -5. 

Oh man... :lmao:::bang::rofl: I have to share this with you people. 

Do you ever browse the internet and come upon all the “hacks” that’ll make your life, cleaning, personal hygiene, beauty, organizing etc easier? Well, I do. And if I may say so, trying them proved to be the dumbest decisions of my life. 

I have a bottle of beer in my fridge because it was a complimentary add-on to one of my food deliveries after it was 2 hours late. Since I passionately loathe every form of beer, there is just no chance that I would ever drink it. So what does the dumb millennial that I am do? Googles the utilization of beer and comes upon tons and tons of home made hair mask recipes that include beer as an ingredient. Why, isn’t that simply perfect? I’ve been going out of my way to make my hair grow faster for months! (As if the pace of hair growth wasn’t a 90% genetic feature) And then what does the dumb and lazy millennial that I am do? Picks the hair mask with the smallest number of ingredients from the article: beer, onion, coconut oil. 

Even the preparation of this concoction took an absurd amount of time and effort as the bottle attachment of my blender was in the dishwasher and I had to set up my hand mixer’s blender extension to mix the onion, the tablespoon of coconut oil and beer. This resulted in a bleeding finger, seven different grease-drenched appliance parts and utensils to wash - because who the hell cares to melt the coconut oil before mixing it in? Not me, apparently. 

After this fifteen-minute exercise, I was finally ready to apply the mask onto my head. Nobody in the article cared to mention that massaging a blended onion into your head actually makes your eyes burn like smallfolk. I suppose this detail was left to my intelligence or lack there of. In any case, after this five-minute exercise, my sink looked like I threw up in it and my hair smelled like stew. But, as my grandma had so elegantly shut me down when I was whining about the comb pulling my hair as a child, one must suffer for beauty. And so I did, for 15 minutes, while I tried to hang some laundry on the drying rack, clean up the sink and the preparation area and obsessively wiped the drought beer dripping down my neck. 

When I thought it was finally over, I brushed out my hair, making the sink once again look like a toilet after a Friday night bender, I cleaned up the sink again, and finally got into the shower to waste half a bottle of shampoo trying to get the coconut oil, the onion and the smell of beer out of my hair. The article was too trusting of my intelligence regarding the rising as well, though it is, admittedly, rather self-explanatory that the onion you’re washing off your head has a way of getting in your eyes as well, since they are, inevitably, on your head. 

Three portions of shampoo, two portions of conditioner, several blood pressure peeks and something like 45 minutes later  I crying with laughter at myself and my ridiculous ideas.

Don’t try internet hacks, people.  

14 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Oh man... :lmao:::bang::rofl: I have to share this with you people. 

Do you ever browse the internet and come upon all the “hacks” that’ll make your life, cleaning, personal hygiene, beauty, organizing etc easier? Well, I do. And if I may say so, trying them proved to be the dumbest decisions of my life. 

I have a bottle of beer in my fridge because it was a complimentary add-on to one of my food deliveries after it was 2 hours late. Since I passionately loathe every form of beer, there is just no chance that I would ever drink it. So what does the dumb millennial that I am do? Googles the utilization of beer and comes upon tons and tons of home made hair mask recipes that include beer as an ingredient. Why, isn’t that simply perfect? I’ve been going out of my way to make my hair grow faster for months! (As if the pace of hair growth wasn’t a 90% genetic feature) And then what does the dumb and lazy millennial that I am do? Picks the hair mask with the smallest number of ingredients from the article: beer, onion, coconut oil. 

Even the preparation of this concoction took an absurd amount of time and effort as the bottle attachment of my blender was in the dishwasher and I had to set up my hand mixer’s blender extension to mix the onion, the tablespoon of coconut oil and beer. This resulted in a bleeding finger, seven different grease-drenched appliance parts and utensils to wash - because who the hell cares to melt the coconut oil before mixing it in? Not me, apparently. 

After this fifteen-minute exercise, I was finally ready to apply the mask onto my head. Nobody in the article cared to mention that massaging a blended onion into your head actually makes your eyes burn like smallfolk. I suppose this detail was left to my intelligence or lack there of. In any case, after this five-minute exercise, my sink looked like I threw up in it and my hair smelled like stew. But, as my grandma had so elegantly shut me down when I was whining about the comb pulling my hair as a child, one must suffer for beauty. And so I did, for 15 minutes, while I tried to hang some laundry on the drying rack, clean up the sink and the preparation area and obsessively wiped the drought beer dripping down my neck. 

When I thought it was finally over, I brushed out my hair, making the sink once again look like a toilet after a Friday night bender, I cleaned up the sink again, and finally got into the shower to waste half a bottle of shampoo trying to get the coconut oil, the onion and the smell of beer out of my hair. The article was too trusting of my intelligence regarding the rising as well, though it is, admittedly, rather self-explanatory that the onion you’re washing off your head has a way of getting in your eyes as well, since they are, inevitably, on your head. 

Three portions of shampoo, two portions of conditioner, several blood pressure peeks and something like 45 minutes later  I crying with laughter at myself and my ridiculous ideas.

Don’t try internet hacks, people.  

:lmao: Sorry I know I shouldn’t laugh but that was great.

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

You absolutely should, it’s so ridiculous. I’m still laughing too. And my hair still smells like stew too. 

Ew poor you :(, I hope it’s back to normal soon, I’m with you on the whole beer thing though I don’t like it much either, I don’t drink often these days but if I do a nice glass of white wine or a vodka and tonic is much nicer.

I guess a cold beer could be quite refreshing on a hot summers day but then I think a nice cold water or even a lemonade or coke would be more refreshing.

On 5/26/2019 at 1:48 AM, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Ew poor you :(, I hope it’s back to normal soon, I’m with you on the whole beer thing though I don’t like it much either, I don’t drink often these days but if I do a nice glass of white wine or a vodka and tonic is much nicer.

I guess a cold beer could be quite refreshing on a hot summers day but then I think a nice cold water or even a lemonade or coke would be more refreshing.

I’ve found myself growing a preference of whiskey or rum based drinks. 

As far as I’m concerned, a bottle of water is the only refreshing thing on a hot summer day. Or maybe lemonade (which must involve the juice of at least 1 real lemon and preferably other citrus too and absolutely no added sweeteners - yes I have a weirdly specific idea of what lemonade should be like :lol: ) or iced tea (which actual tea that I made, again with no added sweeteners aside from maybe a tiny bit of honey, and cooled down - I know, I’m a beveragenazi) 

On 5/26/2019 at 11:14 AM, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Well not the best start to the day, we’re heading out to friends, mini Sith put in car seat, buggy loaded in back and car problems again!! :bang:.

Oh damn. What kinda car troubles again? Did you manage to fix it or is it still an ongoing process? :( 

Also, killing eve finale was so painfully meh. 

I just came by to offer more congratulations to our well-loved dictator :wub: 

I will try and read back now if I can. Though I see @honeyed chicken has been around so maybe he could summarise as in the days of old...

Not much new here. Final exam is over, just my dissertation to write. Career stuff...will have more news by the end of the week. Whether good or more of the same who knows. 

Oh and I am currently heading out...for date night :eek:

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Or maybe lemonade (which must involve the juice of at least 1 real lemon and preferably other citrus too and absolutely no added sweeteners - yes I have a weirdly specific idea of what lemonade should be like :lol: )

We make our own lemonade with squeezed lemons, occasionally an orange an mandarin too, sugar (yes, I am a heathen to you probably), water. And sometimes ... uhhhh, these leaves we call melissa? Mint or however. It smells good.

1 hour ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not much new here. Final exam is over, just my dissertation to write. Career stuff...will have more news by the end of the week. Whether good or more of the same who knows. 

Great to see you down here! Good luck with the dissertation and the career stuff!

And ... of course for the date night. Come back and report. ;)

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I’ve found myself growing a preference of whiskey or rum based drinks. 

As far as I’m concerned, a bottle of water is the only refreshing thing on a hot summer day. Or maybe lemonade (which must involve the juice of at least 1 real lemon and preferably other citrus too and absolutely no added sweeteners - yes I have a weirdly specific idea of what lemonade should be like :lol: ) or iced tea (which actual tea that I made, again with no added sweeteners aside from maybe a tiny bit of honey, and cooled down - I know, I’m a beveragenazi) 

Oh damn. What kinda car troubles again? Did you manage to fix it or is it still an ongoing process? :( 

Also, killing eve finale was so painfully meh. 

The San Pelligrino lemonade is pretty nice too :D.

It sometimes just throws a fit and doesn't start and acts all weird, it has happened a few times and shouldn't be happening to a 6 month old car, I have had some quite heated discussions with Land Rover already!.

3 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I will try and read back now if I can. Though I see @honeyed chicken has been around so maybe he could summarise as in the days of old...

I'm assuming that means me, thank you :wub:.

Also, date night?!, don't do anything I wouldn't do! :P.

14 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Congrats on your final exam Helena! 

And :cheers: to the date Night! I hope it went well! 

16 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Oh my lord, Helena - I had completely forgotten those summaries till you reminded me just now. Wonder if I kept any?

Shitshitshitshitshit. I overslept. I got dressed quickly and was at the bus stop in 10 min after waking up. Turns out the next bus only comes in 25 min. Daaaaamn. I should have been at uni more than half an hour ago.

Okay, bus just arrived, am on it. Hope the professor will be late too.

Archived