TTTNE 475 - for the Honour of Greyskull!

felice

5 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

The new Black Keys album is pretty straight forward bluesy rock and quite accessible, I completely understand why you wouldn’t particularly enjoy Thom Yorkes new solo effort though, it is a bit experimental and I guess weird wouldn’t be an unfair description, it’s like he’s released his stuff that was too left field for a Radiohead album, which is saying something :P.

Aw Dr Mini Sith sounds like an adorable health professional, she hasn’t got anything like that to play with yet, although she does have a new favourite toy at the moment I’m the form of a cute little cuddly duck, I got her it because she is absolutely fascinated by ducks when we go for walks by the river and she loves feeding them!.

I truly have no idea about music. I was and still am interested in way too many things but unfortunately music somehow didn’t make that cut. I’m that person with a trash taste in music whose Spotify playlists consist of Top Hits by Decade, Disney, film soundtrack and medieval(ish) instrumental music. :leaving: 

that sounds adorable. There’s a small lake near my current place of residence that has lots of ducks too. And those little machines that give you duckfood for some coins. Lots of kiddos hang out there too, with the same love for ducks. 

I sold my current sofa, a very cute family bought it, the guy came with his daughter to pick it up today. So that’s done. 

I’m also selling furniture from my previous flat so I can start organizing the renovations so they’ll be completed in the next 6 months and sister can move in. I’m also trying to book a freaking flight to Belfast which is virtually impossible unless you are willing to pay the price of a transatlantic flight.

I hope you all noticed that this paragraph above was all in the first person. I am doing these things. Me myself and I. Instead of other people. And I’m happy to help and improve my own life skills and project management skills so I don’t expect gratitude or anything in return. I just expect people to not give me shit while I’m running errands for them. /rant 

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I truly have no idea about music. I was and still am interested in way too many things but unfortunately music somehow didn’t make that cut. I’m that person with a trash taste in music whose Spotify playlists consist of Top Hits by Decade, Disney, film soundtrack and medieval(ish) instrumental music. :leaving: 

that sounds adorable. There’s a small lake near my current place of residence that has lots of ducks too. And those little machines that give you duckfood for some coins. Lots of kiddos hang out there too, with the same love for ducks. 

I sold my current sofa, a very cute family bought it, the guy came with his daughter to pick it up today. So that’s done. 

I’m also selling furniture from my previous flat so I can start organizing the renovations so they’ll be completed in the next 6 months and sister can move in. I’m also trying to book a freaking flight to Belfast which is virtually impossible unless you are willing to pay the price of a transatlantic flight.

I hope you all noticed that this paragraph above was all in the first person. I am doing these things. Me myself and I. Instead of other people. And I’m happy to help and improve my own life skills and project management skills so I don’t expect gratitude or anything in return. I just expect people to not give me shit while I’m running errands for them. /rant 

Don’t worry about not being interested in music, my fiancée has a terrible taste in music but it’s subjective and I love her all the same, I’m not judgy :P.

I don’t know what it is about kids and ducks, according to my gran I had exactly the same interest in them when I was little too.

Mini Sith has quite the collection of animal soft toys now, we have a duck,a zebra, the mouse and the gruffalo,two hop hops and of course a dragon :D.

Also ugh with changing furniture, it can be such a hassle to do but when it’s completed it feels really good to have your new sofa/bed/wardrobe/whatever that you really wanted there in front of you.

How come you want to go to Belfast?.

13 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Sister not coopperating?

I cannot imagine the furniture and the flat being in such a bad shape after you only lived there a few years - how much of it needs to be replaced anyway? (I am assuming here that it was new when you started using it, but I might be wrong here.) Maybe sister could just move in and gradually replace things she needs to as she figures out what actually needs to be replaced.

Also ... Belfast? Are you going to TitanCon?

8 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Sister not coopperating?

I cannot imagine the furniture and the flat being in such a bad shape after you only lived there a few years - how much of it needs to be replaced anyway? (I am assuming here that it was new when you started using it, but I might be wrong here.) Maybe sister could just move in and gradually replace things she needs to as she figures out what actually needs to be replaced.

Also ... Belfast? Are you going to TitanCon?

Not really, no. But it’s a process. I can’t wait for her to go to university and get her mind expanded and get an internship at a multinational company so she’ll finally learn assertive communication. 

For some reason this question is more complicated than it seems. The short(ish - because I swear there’s a longer) answer is that I did live there for quite a bit (5+ years) and then it was rented out for a while which makes all the furniture almost 8 years old and used by multiple people. In addition to this, and more importantly, the flat was only partially renovated when I moved in for budget and competence reasons. Nobody at that time had conscious plans for that flat and even less experience with housing, renovations or the real estate market of the city . Thus, some very important parts were casually skipped, built in closest from the 60s were left in, the kitchen was untouched after its 90s renovation and there was important machinery missing. Since then the economy, the market and the experience we/I have all changed. Having lived there I have a very good idea about what’s disfunctional about the flat and having process more online renovation and furnishing videos/articles than I can count, I now have a vision for how to make the most of and utilize the limited space a studio flat offers. And having spent over a year looking for a new flat and viewing 50+ flats, I also know how vastly a smart renovation could increase the market value of the flat be it for sale or rent. And of course sister wants new and shiny furniture that matches her own style but that’s really the least of it, the point of the renovation is to make up for the bits we skipped last time, make the space more functional and increase the market value of the flat. *breaths out* I bet you now regret asking :lol: (sorry, this is one topic I can ramble about endlessly) 

no, no cons, just the game of thrones tour and exhibition. 

10 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Don’t worry about not being interested in music, my fiancée has a terrible taste in music but it’s subjective and I love her all the same, I’m not judgy :P.

I don’t know what it is about kids and ducks, according to my gran I had exactly the same interest in them when I was little too.

Mini Sith has quite the collection of animal soft toys now, we have a duck,a zebra, the mouse and the gruffalo,two hop hops and of course a dragon :D.

Also ugh with changing furniture, it can be such a hassle to do but when it’s completed it feels really good to have your new sofa/bed/wardrobe/whatever that you really wanted there in front of you.

How come you want to go to Belfast?.

Kids have such an intense interest in the world around them. They marvel at all things we walk straight past as we rush on about our busy business or just learned to take for granted. It’s really beautiful. 

Aww. I remember I had tons of stuffed bears and dogs. 

Yeah I can’t wait for my new sofa, it’s going to be so pretty, I hated the previous one so much... 

to see the game of thrones tour. But everybody is so surprised to hear I want to visit there. Is there any reason why it’s not a good destination for a short vacation? All I have seen online is the stunningly beautiful scenery in the area and great tours to explore it. Seems like a lovely place to visit to me. 

Rhae, that explanation makes a lot of sense, I am not sorry that I asked. ;)

The last few hours before I leave ... I am nervous before the looooong bus ride. It starts at 1.20 AM and I will be on the journey for 11 hours. Uh. It will be boring at best, uncomfortable in many ways at worst.

Please at least keep posting stuff to keep my mind busy, spammers ...

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Rhae, that explanation makes a lot of sense, I am not sorry that I asked. ;)

The last few hours before I leave ... I am nervous before the looooong bus ride. It starts at 1.20 AM and I will be on the journey for 11 hours. Uh. It will be boring at best, uncomfortable in many ways at worst.

Please at least keep posting stuff to keep my mind busy, spammers ...

Holy moly where the heck are you going by bus? That’s an awful lot of time on a bus! :eek: 

Musings from me for your entertainment: 

A friend of mine doesn’t understand the relevance of plastic free July because  climate change isn’t even a thing and plastic was invented to serve mankind. I mean... everybody is entitled to their own opinion? 

After many days of blissful quiet, dorm students are loud again. 

I’m not in the most positive and patient mindset these weeks and I’m experiencing a lot of adult life stress. Errands, new challenges in life, changes at work, financial dissatisfaction, etc. For this reason I’m getting increasingly tired of being sister’s living Google. This feeling will pass, but I do want to somehow train her to grow into responsibility and managing her own life, and above all, assertive communication, because lord knows she needs that. 

On the upside, the time hath cometh when my father actually listens to and values my opinions and insights. Who would have thought? 

The heatwave and the lack of sleep it brings about makes me so tired I want to go to a desert island and just sleep for a week. 

Sister wants a dog and there’s a whole discussion about how bad an idea it is to actually get her one since she’ll essentially be moving to the city to go to university. 

My mother is reliving the teenage rebellion phase she never had. She is so sick of having to adjust her opportunities and conference visits to weddings our family is invited to. It’s always her who has to make sacrifices and put herself and a conference appearance/research scholarship opportunity second because of these social obligations. That’s unfair and she’s just not going to do it! She goes to 5-10 domestic/international conferences yearly and does at least one research trip per year as well. And I don’t know who socialized me to put family obligations as tiny as appearance at my grandfather’s harvest or a second cousin’s baby’s christening before my entire teenage social life and friend group events. Oh wait, I do know.

I did mention that a cute family bought my old couch. They had little kids who they brought along to pick up the sofa, they were so sweet and polite and helpful and positive, my ovaries are now screaming at me to get my ass on dating apps. Kids are sweet. 

7 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Holy moly where the heck are you going by bus? That’s an awful lot of time on a bus! :eek: 

To Germany for study reasons.

I have survived half the trip now. I was mostly sleeping and now it is 7 AM and I am not rested and not comfortable, but still, I am halfway there.

Musings from me for your entertainment: 

A friend of mine doesn’t understand the relevance of plastic free July because  climate change isn’t even a thing and plastic was invented to serve mankind. I mean... everybody is entitled to their own opinion?

I don't know about plastic free July, but your friend sounds like ... yeah, not somebody I would share opinions with.

After many days of blissful quiet, dorm students are loud again. 

Sorry to hear about that.

I’m not in the most positive and patient mindset these weeks and I’m experiencing a lot of adult life stress. Errands, new challenges in life, changes at work, financial dissatisfaction, etc. For this reason I’m getting increasingly tired of being sister’s living Google. This feeling will pass, but I do want to somehow train her to grow into responsibility and managing her own life, and above all, assertive communication, because lord knows she needs that. 

She will learn in her own time. Maybe you stopping being her living Google is exactly what she needs. And if she is going to be living alone from the autumn on, then she will be forced to learn some things anyway.

On the upside, the time hath cometh when my father actually listens to and values my opinions and insights. Who would have thought? 

Congratulations!

The heatwave and the lack of sleep it brings about makes me so tired I want to go to a desert island and just sleep for a week.

It is not hot in this bus. Actually I was kind of cold when I was trying to sleep earlier.

Sister wants a dog and there’s a whole discussion about how bad an idea it is to actually get her one since she’ll essentially be moving to the city to go to university.

Doesn't your family have two dogs already? Why would she want one only so she can call him/her hers? Or am I misunderstanding?

In any case, I would advise against getting a dog if she is going to be moving away alone for the first time. She will have enough new responsibilities to figure out already.

My mother is reliving the teenage rebellion phase she never had. She is so sick of having to adjust her opportunities and conference visits to weddings our family is invited to. It’s always her who has to make sacrifices and put herself and a conference appearance/research scholarship opportunity second because of these social obligations. That’s unfair and she’s just not going to do it! She goes to 5-10 domestic/international conferences yearly and does at least one research trip per year as well. And I don’t know who socialized me to put family obligations as tiny as appearance at my grandfather’s harvest or a second cousin’s baby’s christening before my entire teenage social life and friend group events. Oh wait, I do know.

Hey, at least it is not going out partying and drinking that she wants.

I did mention that a cute family bought my old couch. They had little kids who they brought along to pick up the sofa, they were so sweet and polite and helpful and positive, my ovaries are now screaming at me to get my ass on dating apps. Kids are sweet. 

Kids are indeed sweet. However, I doubt the usefulness and romanticness of dating apps. But then what do I know, it is not like I know where to meet people either.

11 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Not really, no. But it’s a process. I can’t wait for her to go to university and get her mind expanded and get an internship at a multinational company so she’ll finally learn assertive communication. 

For some reason this question is more complicated than it seems. The short(ish - because I swear there’s a longer) answer is that I did live there for quite a bit (5+ years) and then it was rented out for a while which makes all the furniture almost 8 years old and used by multiple people. In addition to this, and more importantly, the flat was only partially renovated when I moved in for budget and competence reasons. Nobody at that time had conscious plans for that flat and even less experience with housing, renovations or the real estate market of the city . Thus, some very important parts were casually skipped, built in closest from the 60s were left in, the kitchen was untouched after its 90s renovation and there was important machinery missing. Since then the economy, the market and the experience we/I have all changed. Having lived there I have a very good idea about what’s disfunctional about the flat and having process more online renovation and furnishing videos/articles than I can count, I now have a vision for how to make the most of and utilize the limited space a studio flat offers. And having spent over a year looking for a new flat and viewing 50+ flats, I also know how vastly a smart renovation could increase the market value of the flat be it for sale or rent. And of course sister wants new and shiny furniture that matches her own style but that’s really the least of it, the point of the renovation is to make up for the bits we skipped last time, make the space more functional and increase the market value of the flat. *breaths out* I bet you now regret asking :lol: (sorry, this is one topic I can ramble about endlessly) 

Kids have such an intense interest in the world around them. They marvel at all things we walk straight past as we rush on about our busy business or just learned to take for granted. It’s really beautiful. 

Yeah I can’t wait for my new sofa, it’s going to be so pretty, I hated the previous one so much... 

to see the game of thrones tour. But everybody is so surprised to hear I want to visit there. Is there any reason why it’s not a good destination for a short vacation? All I have seen online is the stunningly beautiful scenery in the area and great tours to explore it. Seems like a lovely place to visit to me. 

You’re right about kids being really interested in the world around them, it’s pretty amazing to watch, mini Sith will be in awe of the most mundane things, the other day she was all :o when we were in the car and the barrier for a car park went up to let us in.

If you want to go on the GoT tour then go for it, for me, I’d rather go to many places in the Republic of Ireland than Belfast in Northern Ireland though.

Buck!, 11 hours on a bus?!, that sounds awful, was a train or flying not possible?.

16 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Buck!, 11 hours on a bus?!, that sounds awful, was a train or flying not possible?.

Train was an option, but it would not save a lot of time, maybe an hour. And it would have been like three times the price.

I didn't even look into flying, TBH, I usually assume that would be stupidly expensive and not any more comfortable either. And I REALLY doubt there would be logistically/geographically sensible flights for me, and I would probably not save any time either, as I would have to find transport to and from airports and such. I am lucky that this is a direct bus line actually.

About 8 hours down, about 3 more to go. It has been surprisingly not terrible up to now.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

To Germany for study reasons.

I have survived half the trip now. I was mostly sleeping and now it is 7 AM and I am not rested and not comfortable, but still, I am halfway there.

Ah! I dont know why I thought your study program was somewhere in Austria. were there no train options? 

Well, have patience and hold on! 

don't know about plastic free July, but your friend sounds like ... yeah, not somebody I would share opinions with.

It’s this Facebook(?) challenge to minimize single use plastic in July. And yeah, I was quite surprised to hear such opinion from someone under the age of 40. 

Doesn't your family have two dogs already? Why would she want one only so she can call him/her hers? Or am I misunderstanding?

In any case, I would advise against getting a dog if she is going to be moving away alone for the first time. She will have enough new responsibilities to figure out already.

There are 3 dogs at the moment, one of them is quite old and sickly and frail. The reason why she wants a dog is to fill the whole losing this dog will certainly cause. She originally came up with the idea last summer but for some inexplicable reason my mother had to link it to a performance objective - that she would be accept to university. Because you know, everything has to be about performance with my mother. 

She also claims though (my mother) that she’s no longer against a new dog as a puppy would make up for both her children moving out and her being lonely alone at home. Who the heck knows...

Kids are indeed sweet. However, I doubt the usefulness and romanticness of dating apps. But then what do I know, it is not like I know where to meet people either.

Well random meeting people hasn’t exactly worked out so far, that’s why I’m still here being painfully single for the past two years. 

10 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

You’re right about kids being really interested in the world around them, it’s pretty amazing to watch, mini Sith will be in awe of the most mundane things, the other day she was all :o when we were in the car and the barrier for a car park went up to let us in.

If you want to go on the GoT tour then go for it, for me, I’d rather go to many places in the Republic of Ireland than Belfast in Northern Ireland though.

Awwww that’s so adorable! 

Well the objective is to do the got tour and go down to Dublin to spend a day or two there too, mostly because there’s a direct flight home from Dublin. It’s quite costly and complicated to get to Belfast from here apparently. 

14 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah! I dont know why I thought your study program was somewhere in Austria.

Yeah, the one that starts in autumn. This is just a shorter visit.

were there no train options? 

Look at my answer to Sith above. And thanks!

It’s this Facebook(?) challenge to minimize single use plastic in July. And yeah, I was quite surprised to hear such opinion from someone under the age of 40.

That is a good challenge. I try to use little single-use plastic as well, most of the time.

There are 3 dogs at the moment, one of them is quite old and sickly and frail. The reason why she wants a dog is to fill the whole losing this dog will certainly cause. She originally came up with the idea last summer but for some inexplicable reason my mother had to link it to a performance objective - that she would be accept to university. Because you know, everything has to be about performance with my mother. 

She also claims though (my mother) that she’s no longer against a new dog as a puppy would make up for both her children moving out and her being lonely alone at home. Who the heck knows...

Oh okay. Thanks for the clarification. Your sister will probably realise she won't live with the dogs anyway since she is moving.

Hope your mother is not too lonely then.

Well random meeting people hasn’t exactly worked out so far, that’s why I’m still here being painfully single for the past two years.

Ah, I know, I know ...

Well the objective is to do the got tour and go down to Dublin to spend a day or two there too, mostly because there’s a direct flight home from Dublin. It’s quite costly and complicated to get to Belfast from here apparently. 

Have fun at the trip! Meet some forumers. ;)

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Train was an option, but it would not save a lot of time, maybe an hour. And it would have been like three times the price.

I didn't even look into flying, TBH, I usually assume that would be stupidly expensive and not any more comfortable either. And I REALLY doubt there would be logistically/geographically sensible flights for me, and I would probably not save any time either, as I would have to find transport to and from airports and such. I am lucky that this is a direct bus line actually.

About 8 hours down, about 3 more to go. It has been surprisingly not terrible up to now.

Flying is usually quite cheap here but cheap flights are usually to mainstream destinations, I think I’d have picked the train purely because it’s more relaxed and I’d be able to read on it without getting a headache or feeling sick like I do if I try to read in a car/bus whatever.

Or as it’s Germany would driving have been an option?, at least you could sit on their motorway at 250 km/h and get the trip out of the way faster, the thought of being on a coach for that long fills me with dread, I’m glad you’re coping ok :).

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah! I dont know why I thought your study program was somewhere in Austria. were there no train options? 

I’ve been to Dublin, loved it, amazing city, although be warned it is expensive.

17 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I visited the exhibition when they were in my city.

6 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Flying is usually quite cheap here but cheap flights are usually to mainstream destinations, I think I’d have picked the train purely because it’s more relaxed and I’d be able to read on it without getting a headache or feeling sick like I do if I try to read in a car/bus whatever.

Yeah, nothing in my home country  is a mainstream destination. If you have to fly somewhere, you mostly have too look at the airports in the neighbouring countries too. Which means you have to spend these few hours in a bus/train to get there too.

I cannot read in cars, but buses are not that bad. I managed to read some today.

6 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

Or as it’s Germany would driving have been an option?, at least you could sit on their motorway at 250 km/h and get the trip out of the way faster, the thought of being on a coach for that long fills me with dread, I’m glad you’re coping ok :).

Oh, I dreaded the bus ride absolutely too.

About driving ... well, that would have terrified me even more. I have never driven a car that far by myself. And no, 250 km/h is something I am not comfortable with. I am not a very good driver. Also, I don't have my own car. So that wasn't an option in any way.

4 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

Dublin is nice but it has a lot of seagulls :P

What is wrong with seagulls?

54 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Yeah, nothing in my home country  is a mainstream destination. If you have to fly somewhere, you mostly have too look at the airports in the neighbouring countries too. Which means you have to spend these few hours in a bus/train to get there too.

I cannot read in cars, but buses are not that bad. I managed to read some today.

About driving ... well, that would have terrified me even more. I have never driven a car that far by myself. And no, 250 km/h is something I am not comfortable with. I am not a very good driver. Also, I don't have my own car. So that wasn't an option in any way.

Nothing, unless you watch them eating other birds in front of you or waking you up early in the morning :P

15 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

That sounds like a real pain with flights it must be so annoying for you, I guess I’m very fortunate in that regard because you can get flights from London to pretty much anywhere.

I can’t read in any vehicle that’s driving on a road it just makes me feel sick.

i don’t think I’d like to drive that far either, especially by myself.

5 hours ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

That sounds like a real pain with flights it must be so annoying for you, I guess I’m very fortunate in that regard because you can get flights from London to pretty much anywhere.

I can’t read in any vehicle that’s driving on a road it just makes me feel sick.

i don’t think I’d like to drive that far either, especially by myself.

I mean, on the other hand, my country is in a great position in that you can reach many places without having to fly, because it lies in the middle of everything. We are not on an island.

But yeah, we don't have any airport as big and important as one of London's.

Archived