TTTNE 475 - for the Honour of Greyskull!

felice

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I need help. With this  I am somewhat satisfied, but also kinda not satisfied. I’m not sure about the map and I’m not sure about all these red and orange books above the green chair. Why do so many books have such ugly covers? Also I need a larger frame for the floating shelf. Or maybe I should put the clock there? Damn, I suck at this. 

If you want books that loko pretty on a shelf, I suggest the German edition of ASOIAF.

The map up there looks great.

Why not hang the clock on the wall? It is a pretty clock, BTW.

Is that Daario haunting your screen? With a big picture of Daario, I can see how the room would need some visual improvement, but that is easy to change. :P

I’m just going to watch it tomorrow, it has been nearly 2 years, another day won’t make any difference :P, I had better make sure Mini Sith is fast asleep though I don’t want her seeing a dragon and wanting one as a pet!.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

If you want books that loko pretty on a shelf, I suggest the German edition of ASOIAF.

The map up there looks great.

Why not hang the clock on the wall? It is a pretty clock, BTW.

Is that Daario haunting your screen? With a big picture of Daario, I can see how the room would need some visual improvement, but that is easy to change. :P

I ended up moving the shitton of orange and red books to a lower shelf so they are basically behind the green chair. 

Nope, while I can be terribly meticulous about aesthetic details, I don’t like that level of uniformity. As for the clock, the wall would look crowded. Plus, I need something tall in that tall shelf. I might put something white behind that clock though. 

Yeah, that’s Daario, I was rewatching the Preston Jacobs reviews. Well basically just listening to them while I reorganized that shelving unit twenty million times. 

8 minutes ago, Bittersweet Distractor said:

I’m just going to watch it tomorrow, it has been nearly 2 years, another day won’t make any difference :P, I had better make sure Mini Sith is fast asleep though I don’t want her seeing a dragon and wanting one as a pet!.

Nooooo, poor her. At this point the dragons are the best part of the show. With no story and all that. 

7 minutes ago, Proficiency said:

The worst strategy is to watch it during work.

That’s not something I’d be able to do, I’d be interrupted every ten minutes, it would be terribly annoying. 

My friend organized an incredible GOT themed meal she called "Inn at the Crossroads" featuring pork pies. She put out candles and had a little heart tree and everything. Quite amazing.

As for the show:

Spoiler

Even in a spoiler box I'm going to be as general as I can.

I was surprised they spent so much of the episode reintroducing us to the characters. Yes, there was a little bit of "here's Dany meeting Sansa for the first time" kinda thing. Mostly it was in Winterfell which was acting like Noah's Ark with all the living characters marching in two by two. The exception being Cersei, Qyburn, Bronn and the Greyjoys who were, of course, in KL.

The opening credits were fun as always.

The dragons were good (I'm one of the few holdouts - not a fan of the GOT dragons. The black and red dragon is brown and the green and gold dragon is brown - what the hell?!!!) as good as they could be.

Ep.2 should be the beginning of the real action or all the hype will have been wasted and the season will fall flat.

14 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I ended up moving the shitton of orange and red books to a lower shelf so they are basically behind the green chair. 

Nope, while I can be terribly meticulous about aesthetic details, I don’t like that level of uniformity. As for the clock, the wall would look crowded. Plus, I need something tall in that tall shelf. I might put something white behind that clock though. 

Yeah, that’s Daario, I was rewatching the Preston Jacobs reviews. Well basically just listening to them while I reorganized that shelving unit twenty million times.

Nooooo, poor her. At this point the dragons are the best part of the show. With no story and all that. 

That’s not something I’d be able to do, I’d be interrupted every ten minutes, it would be terribly annoying. 

That level of uniformity in a book series is the best.

But then, the books are all split and have weird titles in German.

Hm, maybe hang the clock to the right of the shelves? Then it would not look crowded. But then I don't know what you have on that side of the room. If I were in your place (and I am obviously not), I would hate the clock taking up the whole shelf. But then I would fill all the shelves with books in no time and then complain about lack of shelves. :leaving:

I would like Cats Dragons much better if it weren't a plot-free dance review. :P No, there is nothing I can't turn into a CXG reference, why do you ask?

Actually ... you know what should be a thing? An episode of GOT written by Rachel Bloom. Now that would be something I would watch. :lol:

14 hours ago, Proficiency said:

The worst strategy is to watch it during work.

What kind of work do you do that you would be able to do that? :o

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Hm, maybe hang the clock to the right of the shelves? Then it would not look crowded. But then I don't know what you have on that side of the room. If I were in your place (and I am obviously not), I would hate the clock taking up the whole shelf. But then I would fill all the shelves with books in no time and then complain about lack of shelves. :leaving:

I agree with Buck about hanging the clock on the right. We have a similar clock in our kitchen - I like it.

16 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

If anyone should get a pet dragon it is Mini Sith!.

Bronn is actually the Reyne heir, obviously. He will ascend to the throne, where it is revealed that he was Sean Bean this whole time, and there's something reminiscent of Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the show is shut down by an outside force. Probably fans annoyed that it's taken this long for Cleganebowl.

5 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

My friend organized an incredible GOT themed meal she called "Inn at the Crossroads" featuring pork pies. She put out candles and had a little heart tree and everything. Quite amazing.

As for the show:

Reveal hidden contents

Even in a spoiler box I'm going to be as general as I can.

I was surprised they spent so much of the episode reintroducing us to the characters. Yes, there was a little bit of "here's Dany meeting Sansa for the first time" kinda thing. Mostly it was in Winterfell which was acting like Noah's Ark with all the living characters marching in two by two. The exception being Cersei, Qyburn, Bronn and the Greyjoys who were, of course, in KL.

The opening credits were fun as always.

The dragons were good (I'm one of the few holdouts - not a fan of the GOT dragons. The black and red dragon is brown and the green and gold dragon is brown - what the hell?!!!) as good as they could be.

Ep.2 should be the beginning of the real action or all the hype will have been wasted and the season will fall flat.

3 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

I would like Cats Dragons much better if it weren't a plot-free dance review. :P No, there is nothing I can't turn into a CXG reference, why do you ask?

Actually ... you know what should be a thing? An episode of GOT written by Rachel Bloom. Now that would be something I would watch. :lol:

You two just can't see the end can you?.

Spoiler

What Westeros needs is a new ruling house, powerful enough to easily defeat the Night King and who wouldn't use the endangered dragons as beasts of war nor have sexual relations with close relatives.

This is how it ends, hopefully accompanied by thunderous applause.

OMG. This GoT thingy has really blown up. Now they spent some minutes of the national news at 10 to talk about it and even invited some critic to talk about it and shit. The news anchor actually referenced Jon Snow knowing nothing.

What has the world come to? :o I mean, Notre Dame is burning down, and you are talking about fantasy characters? Aaaaaand ... when has it blown up so much? When I joined this forum, this would not have happened.

The actor of Bran Stark said he started working on it when he was 10, now he is 20. He has been on the show for half his life!

Also, I told how "winter is coming" is translated in German last week. This thingy is ... quite well-known now.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

OMG. This GoT thingy has really blown up. Now they spent some minutes of the national news at 10 to talk about it and even invited some critic to talk about it and shit. The news anchor actually referenced Jon Snow knowing nothing.

What has the world come to? :o I mean, Notre Dame is burning down, and you are talking about fantasy characters? Aaaaaand ... when has it blown up so much? When I joined this forum, this would not have happened.

The actor of Bran Stark said he started working on it when he was 10, now he is 20. He has been on the show for half his life!

Also, I told how "winter is coming" is translated in German last week. This thingy is ... quite well-known now.

Yes. Disappointing Game of Thrones may be to people like me who love the books, but one can't deny that the show has had an impact on culture world wide.

Does GOT air in China?

Buck has a good point, a tragedy has befallen Notre Dame, one of the oldest, most iconic buildings in Europe and the news is still talking about GoT!, I hope they manage to put the fire out and that nothing has been too badly damaged.

On 4/15/2019 at 2:06 PM, Buckwheat said:

Oh tell me about it. I could fill pages with how idiotic everything about GoT sounds in my language. 

On the right, I have a dining table with two picture hanging above it. I don’t have a picture unfortunately. The clock could cosily fit between the floating shelves and the dining table pictures, but I kinda feel like it’d overcrowd the wall. I might try it though.

Well Game of Thrones is most definitely a plot-free fan service review so this reference is rather on point. 

Nope, nope, Game of thrones should only be touched by grrm. That much became clear over the past 10 years. 

On 4/15/2019 at 2:47 PM, honeyed chicken said:

I agree with Buck about hanging the clock on the right. We have a similar clock in our kitchen - I like it.

As I said above. 

23 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

It is insane, impressive and slightly sad that Got became such a world phenomenon. I mean it’s more imprinted in popular culture than stuff like Star Wars or James Bond. Scary. 

As for the news anchor, news reporters barely ever seem to speak about relevant news. It’s either nonsense (like Jon Snow) or some sort of random horror story (like did you know someone murdered someone in Vienna and packed their body parts into suitcases and transported them to a small town via a telecar service? I mean I do because the news reporters seem to think this is something the public is ought to talk about. Mystery). Anyway, it was really awkward how the whole world was talking about Got but in the defense of humanity, GoT was set to premier on Sunday/Monday for months, while the Notre Dame fire just came out of nowhere,    People weren’t paying attention to Got because they don’t care about the Notre Dame. The timing was just awkward. 

As for the Notre Dame. The worst thing about these things is that you can’t do anything. You just sit and follow the news about how it burns. These things make me so deeply sad.  like no gruesome crime story on the news can. I do have a bit of an obsession with anything historical and topping that off with the personal ties... It just made me want to cry. I mean the middle part and the roof is forever lost, even if they rebuild it that’s no longer going to be Notre Dame. Just a filling in an aching cavity that makes it seem whole. It is so sad. Even if it’s a natural part of life that things don’t last forever. You just don’t expect a 800something year-old cathedral to not last forever. It affected me even more than the collapse of the Azure Window. It’s such an awful thing... :frown5: i cant even imagine how Parisians must have felt... or the authorities trying to put out the fire. It’s actually nice of all the rich people in France to immediately step up and offer money to save it. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysBee said:

As for the Notre Dame. The worst thing about these things is that you can’t do anything. You just sit and follow the news about how it burns. These things make me so deeply sad.  like no gruesome crime story on the news can. I do have a bit of an obsession with anything historical and topping that off with the personal ties... It just made me want to cry. I mean the middle part and the roof is forever lost, even if they rebuild it that’s no longer going to be Notre Dame. Just a filling in an aching cavity that makes it seem whole. It is so sad. Even if it’s a natural part of life that things don’t last forever. You just don’t expect a 800something year-old cathedral to not last forever. It affected me even more than the collapse of the Azure Window. It’s such an awful thing... :frown5: i cant even imagine how Parisians must have felt... or the authorities trying to put out the fire. It’s actually nice of all the rich people in France to immediately step up and offer money to save it. 

It is tragic from many perspectives - and you have eloquently said a lot of what I feel. I never got the chance to visit it. My sister and her family have all spent months and years in France and Paris - she teaches French and makes crepes for extra money. I have not spoken with her or her husband (who got his degree at the Sorbonne). I can not imagine how they feel.

I still remember so clearly when Mrs. C, the Chickee and I went to Florence, Italy and visited Il Duomo - you can walk up the inside of the dome on the same steps the workmen used back in 1400. Galileo stood at the top of that same dome and made measurements that assisted Columbus 80+ years later as he sailed round to America. DaVinci is said to have gotten ideas for machines he drew from the ones Bruneschelli made to built the dome. That kind of experience - to be able to stand where historical figures we know of once stood - to feel like you're in their shoes, is gone. 

The only thing that could make it worse is to find out the fire was deliberately set. I pray that is not the case.

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

Anyway, it was really awkward how the whole world was talking about Got but in the defense of humanity, GoT was set to premier on Sunday/Monday for months, while the Notre Dame fire just came out of nowhere,    People weren’t paying attention to Got because they don’t care about the Notre Dame. The timing was just awkward.

I wasn't really trying to compare the weight of the news about GOT to Notre Dame, it was just what was happening at the time. I was really only trying to point out how GOT blew up. Just clarifying that. :)

10 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I mean the middle part and the roof is forever lost, even if they rebuild it that’s no longer going to be Notre Dame. Just a filling in an aching cavity that makes it seem whole. It is so sad. Even if it’s a natural part of life that things don’t last forever. You just don’t expect a 800something year-old cathedral to not last forever. It affected me even more than the collapse of the Azure Window. It’s such an awful thing... :frown5: 

Think of it this way: These old buildings are basically being renovated all the time. The Notre Dame that existed a week ago was not the same it was 600 years ago or just after it was built. Parts of it have been repaired, exchanged, renovated, repainted many times now. This is just one more in the line of these renovations, and they are going to try to make it as alike as it used to be before the fire as possible. This is how these old buildings are kept alive.

Apparently Notre Dame has suffered great damages after the French Revolution, and they managed to repair it after that too.

9 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

The only thing that could make it worse is to find out the fire was deliberately set. I pray that is not the case.

I hope so too.

I have never been to Paris myself. Now I wonder if that will cause any drop or increase in the price of tickets and tourist accomodations to Paris.

17 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

I wasn't really trying to compare the weight of the news about GOT to Notre Dame, it was just what was happening at the time. I was really only trying to point out how GOT blew up. Just clarifying that. :)

Think of it this way: These old buildings are basically being renovated all the time. The Notre Dame that existed a week ago was not the same it was 600 years ago or just after it was built. Parts of it have been repaired, exchanged, renovated, repainted many times now. This is just one more in the line of these renovations, and they are going to try to make it as alike as it used to be before the fire as possible. This is how these old buildings are kept alive.

Apparently Notre Dame has suffered great damages after the French Revolution, and they managed to repair it after that too.

I hope so too.

I have never been to Paris myself. Now I wonder if that will cause any drop or increase in the price of tickets and tourist accomodations to Paris.

I know, I wasn’t trying to imply you said anything else, I was kinda just channeling my own conflicting feelings. I mean it really was weird how these to two things happened simultaneously and what amount of attention and publicity each got . I don’t think the world should have dropped GOT and got into mourning Notre Dame either, I was completely lost in GoT too, it’s just that the timing was awkward and I myself felt a little silly talking about Got while Parisians were watching the cathedral burn. That’s all I was saying. 

You are actually right. I didn’t even think of that. It does make it feel better, so thanks for pointing that out. 

I think it’ll cause an increase if anything. People will probably get a sense of urgency to go and see it while they can. At least that’s my guess. 

I do recommend visiting Paris. I’ve been there four times and all were magical in their own right and I wish I had been there even more times. I also have great sister stories from Paris. 

9 hours ago, honeyed chicken said:

It is tragic from many perspectives - and you have eloquently said a lot of what I feel. I never got the chance to visit it. My sister and her family have all spent months and years in France and Paris - she teaches French and makes crepes for extra money. I have not spoken with her or her husband (who got his degree at the Sorbonne). I can not imagine how they feel.

I still remember so clearly when Mrs. C, the Chickee and I went to Florence, Italy and visited Il Duomo - you can walk up the inside of the dome on the same steps the workmen used back in 1400. Galileo stood at the top of that same dome and made measurements that assisted Columbus 80+ years later as he sailed round to America. DaVinci is said to have gotten ideas for machines he drew from the ones Bruneschelli made to built the dome. That kind of experience - to be able to stand where historical figures we know of once stood - to feel like you're in their shoes, is gone. 

Oh dear I really hope that’s not the case, that would be crushing. 

As for what you describe, I completely agree. 

Archived