Popular shows you quit on

dooog

So in the last few years I have found myself tapping out of shows which is something I used to never do. I persisted with the likes of Lost, Dexter and Prison Break (excluding its latest resurrection) until the bitter end only to then realise not just what a complete waste of time it was but also that they'd spoiled my memory of the "good" seasons. Each started off strong, got me hooked and so I wanted to reach their conclusions despite the quality turning into almost a parody of their opening seasons.  Sons of Anarchy was another. I must've quit it about 10 times but for some reason I kept going back for more punishment. At least SOA was so bad it was funny, plus it had the world's greatest actor of our generation, Happy.

So here's a few of mine where I did quit permanently:

The Walking Dead: No surprise there. It went to absolute shite once they offed Shane.

Fear the Walking Dead:  I gave it a go, never warmed to it. No better or worse than the current TWD, that is, it's trash.

House of Cards: Think I had to dump this after S3 or so. Like so many other shows it had an incredible opening season but never managed to recapture the magic.

Legion:  Really enjoyed S1. However, the second felt like a chore to watch. I gave up about halfway through, might go back to it if I hear positive things about S3 if there is one.

Money Heist: The Spanish heist series littered with idiocy everywhere. Surprised I lasted as long as I did.

Peaky Blinders: Another one I never warmed to. Gave it repeated chances because I kept hearing friends raving about it. Gave up after the season that Tom Hardy appears... 3 I think?

The Leftovers:  Probably not a popular one to add here, but I found it incredibly irritating to watch, like it gave me no satisfaction whatsoever. Constant ambiguity for the sake of it. Quit it near the beginning of the final season.

What're yours?

VEEP and Curb Your Enthusiasm.  Both could be hilarious, but something about humor revolving around embarrassment  turns me off.

Sons of Anarchy.  I made it through four seasons.  Great acting and dialog fooled me for a long time, but the plotting of SOA was terrible.

Veep, Curb, Leftovers? Some of my favorite shows... 

Finally gave up on TWD and Vikings. Both long overdue. 

Black Sails is a board darling I just couldn’t get into. Watched most of the first season, but didn’t finish it. Constantly hear it gets better, but I just have zero interest in trying to pick it back up again. 

Good topic, I often comment on how I'm bad at quitting shows even when I know I should.  Examples of shows I actually did quit on include Boardwalk Empire - after the second season and a certain favorite character of mine was no longer in the show; Fear The Walking Dead - stuck it out through the first season, then was done; House of Cards after the second season - it was getting too silly, and while I was a huge fan of Spacey before all the..issues, I'd had enough.  And...that's about all I can think of in terms of dramas. 

I'll ditch a comedy much easier though.  Don't care to make a list that long, but some recent examples would be, say, blackish.  I gave it a try and enjoyed if for awhile, but eventually gave up.  Actually most sitcoms that I've gotten into over the past few years I'll check out of pretty quick.  Goldbergs, Modern Family, Always Sunny, The League, to name a few.  I wouldn't count Curb - while I watched it here and there early on I was never that "into it," but I haven't seen an episode in years, since they did the mini-Seinfeld reunion.

In terms of dramas, the list of shows I stuck out when I shouldn't is legion (although I haven't watched Legion yet).  The Walking Dead?  Yeah.  Dexter?  Yep, stuck around til that farcical finale where he openly carries Deb's body out from a hospital into the bay during a life threatening storm.  That was so stupid I thought it must have been a dream sequence.  Once Upon a Time.  That got really bad really quick, but I stuck around until it ended, or at least until the soft reboot, haven't watched any of that.  Weeds was meanderingly boring for, like, 3/4s of its tenure but I stuck with it.  True Blood is up there with Once Upon a Time in terms of me being embarrassed I watched the whole thing.  And of course there's that elephant in the room in terms of shows I still watch that have had a dramatic decrease in quality.  Not just Game of Thrones either.  The second season of Westworld was very uninspiring in a lot of ways, and my brother (who's generally the person I watch TV with) has said he's done, but I'm still on board.

A good example of a comedy I stuck around for way back when was That 70s Show.  That was absolute shit after Grace and Kutcher left (and even a couple seasons before), but I still tried to watch it even though at the time I was in college and barely watched any TV.

I know the finale was very polarizing (I'm one of those weird people that didn't think it was that bad or that good), but I don't think LOST belongs in this category.  Of course, to clarify, I didn't start watching it until literally like a week before the finale premiered.  So I was able to binge it instead of waiting every week (and even season) in anticipation for how they were gonna address each and every mystery they created.  I think that's a much better way to watch it, it was like the proto-Netflix show.

Anyway, the worst season is probably the 3rd, and even then the 3rd season ended strong.  After that seasons 4-6 are all solid.  Not as good as seasons 1 and 2 but still definitely watchable.  I don't really like the That 70s Show 5th season, but most others I've talked to actually think that was actually pretty cool.

Oh, another example of one I stuck around with is 24.  Although not sure it counts.  After the first season it never approached actually being good anyway, that was more a Mystery Science Theater thing, or a drinking game with Jack Bauer plot armor.  I didn't, however, watch either of the reboots - just realized there was one in 2014 and another one in 2017, which I didn't actually remember til I just thought of the show as an example.

On that note, Homeland is another example of a show I ditched after Damian Lewis left.  Also Newsroom.  I'm a huge fan of Sorkin's writing - one of like 4 people in the world that actually enjoyed Studio 60 - but that was just unabashed fetishistic fantasy for the left.  The only entertaining aspect was Jeff Daniels' character was a hilarious self-parody of Sorkin's own pretentious fuckfaceness.

Just now, DMC said:

Oh, another example of one I stuck around with is 24.  Although not sure it counts.  After the first season it never approached actually being good anyway, that was more a Mystery Science Theater thing, or a drinking game with Jack Bauer plot armor.  I didn't, however, watch either of the reboots - just realized there was one in 2014 and another one in 2017, which I didn't actually remember til I just thought of the show as an example.

On that note, Homeland is another example of a show I ditched after Damian Lewis left.  Also Newsroom.  I'm a huge fan of Sorkin's writing - one of like 4 people in the world that actually enjoyed Studio 60 - but that was just unabashed fetishistic fantasy for the left.  The only entertaining aspect was Jeff Daniels' character was a hilarious self-parody of Sorkin's own pretentious fuckfaceness.

Oooh, Newsroom is a good one. It was fun for like 3 episodes, then it just got wearying.

Vikings! I forgot about that doozie.  Of the past say, 20 episodes I have seen maybe 7 or 8 though I didn't have much of a say in the matter.  Any time I catch it nowadays it's like SOA, terrible show but so bad it's funny.

Another is Hannibal. Hated it, never got into it. Quit about 3 or 4 episodes into S1

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

Funnily enough I thought Homeland is one of the very few shows out there that actually manages to recover itself after a couple of awful seasons and return to being a solid show. Definitely not as good as S1 but still a decent, watchable show.

1 minute ago, dooog said:

Funnily enough I thought Homeland is one of the very few shows out there that actually manages to recover itself after a couple of awful seasons and return to being a solid show. Definitely not as good as S1 but still a decent, watchable show.

Didn't realize there were 4 seasons after Brody's departure.  I knew there were more but damn.  I honestly wouldn't know.  The second season was particularly bad, and the third wasn't much better.

I guess Netflix’s the punisher and Ironfist. I could not get past the first few episodes. Prison break I’d tried one episode and gave up immediately. TWD after seasons 4 I think. I was into Black sails but kinda lost interest after the first season. I’ve never finished watching Breaking bad. Great show, but I’ve never struck through watching it for some reason. Mystery science theatre I tried it but I really couldn’t get into it. And if not live-action shows some cartoons and Anime  I’ve tried and failed to get into are Code named kids next door, teen titans go, fairly odd parents Naruto, Gintama, one piece. 

I quit Banshee during season 2 or 3. 

Orphan Black I thought was good but I just lost interest in for whatever reason during season 3.

I can’t seem to get through season 1 of Justified as I have tried twice. 

TWD during season 3 break. I had an ex who loved it so I caught some episodes a season or 2 back and it was just horrible. Agree with @Gronzag . Amazing that it’s still popular.

Dexter after the big death. 

The Americans during the original run of the 1st season, but I intend to watch that again soon. 

True Blood and The Office when they were both near their ends.

There seems to be a pattern of shows here that keep coming up. TWD , Fear the Walking Dead and House of Cards and Vikingsare good examples. I ducked out of all 4 when it was obvious the quality of the show had taken a nosedive. 

I'm not sure there is any incentive to stick with a tv show any more, when you have limited time and infinite choice of what to watch, why waste that time by trying to find out what mind numbing situation Rick Grimes has got himself into this week. 

I'm seriously considering not going back to GoT this year and just finding out what happens via peoples reactions on Twitter. It is a show I would find hard to drop, but watching it is so painful sometimes.

Two and a half men (it was sorta guilty pleasure for me), two words: Ashton Kutcher.

Supernatural (writing got worse and worse, final straw for me was when they literally killed Death), TBBT (I was never that hooked up on it in the first place though), House of Cards, the Walking Dead.

Sort of the usual suspects when I see what others wrote.

Vikings (after the high with an Asia princess episode)

Iron fist and luke cage ,(after season 1). Jessica jones after season 2 ep3

Homeland (after end season 4)

True blood (gave up after whichever season ended started in pixieland)

Supernatural (after season 7) but might return

Arrow (season 5) flash (after season 2)

Walking dead (skipped season 8, returned for 9 but on verge of quitting again after last two episodes). FTWD (after season 1)

Outlander (after season 1)

Man in the high castle (by this point i should probably be honest and admit that I've given up on this by season 3 ep 1)

Star trek discovery: if I don't catch up soon I'll be adding this to the quit pile fron season 2 ep 2.

Not entirely sure i'll bother with season 2 of American gods unless i hear it has turned things around.

I'm a lot more ruthless with shows these days. Like others have mentioned shows like sons of anarchy and Dexter taught me life is too short to waste hours/days hoping something will improve as they rarely do without some major overhaul/change in showrunner.

57 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I'm not sure there is any incentive to stick with a tv show any more, when you have limited time and infinite choice of what to watch, why waste that time by trying to find out what mind numbing situation Rick Grimes has got himself into this week. 

Same. The formula is stale gang finds new place to stay. New place to stay is run by badman. New place to stay gets more dangerous. Gang fights bad man. Gang leaves after destroying new place. 

57 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I'm seriously considering not going back to GoT this year and just finding out what happens via peoples reactions on Twitter. It is a show I would find hard to drop, but watching it is so painful sometimes.

Truth be told I lost all interest in the show after half way through season 7. I hated their arc for Jon snow during it. Book Jon was a kind, a leader among men, a progressive-season 7 Jon I found to be a feel good idiot with delusions of importance. That and the fact Cersi being posed as real threat after having  basically nuked KL along with who is basically the pope and thousands of citizens during a time where there clearly was a religious awakening in the south. The woman should have had been torn limb from limb by the time Daenerys got to Westeros.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

It's nice when we can agree sometimes. I have stupid friends and family who repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly repeatedly ask me "ooh what do you think is gonna happen" regarding GoT (as I was the pre-show introductory element for most of them) and they cannot comprehend -literally cannot comprehend- the simple words "I do not care." My brain dead sister actually seems to think I'm just being coy for some unknowable reason.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Two and a half men (it was sorta guilty pleasure for me), two words: Ashton Kutcher.

I used to watch the daily reruns on FOX at work when I was transitioning from a clinical to administrative role, as it was often on in the lobby and no one thought anything of me setting up shop at the Nurses desk, but yeah I completely lost interest in it as even background noise once Kutcher showed up.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Vikings (after the high with an Asia princess episode)

Iron fist and luke cage ,(after season 1). Jessica jones after season 2 ep3

Walking dead (skipped season 8, returned for 9 but on verge of quitting again after last two episodes). FTWD (after season 1)

Man in the high castle (by this point i should probably be honest and admit that I've given up on this by season 3 ep 1)

Can agree on all of these. I find the "what if the Nazis won" premise so ludicrous and boring that even the wonderful Obergruppenfuhrer (spelling?) Couldn't keep me interested in Man in the High Castle.

Archived