Popular shows you quit on

dooog

29 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Tried them all multiple times. No interest in going back again

Mad Men is one I definitely jumped off of, it lost its shine about 4th season. But I rewatched it all again from the start and I’m glad I did, it feels very complete by the end and I’m happy I saw Don up to that point.

Breaking Bad I dunno, I watched it week to week and so just wanted to know the end, but the Penultimate episode is the best one of the entire show, gets me even now.

On GoT, well I’m actually angry at myself because I’ve been backed into a corner and will have to finish it, but the last season was a travesty, a disgrace to everything I enjoyed about the show previously ( the reason I am here). Usually if a show is bad or deteriorates I can leave it, but that’s out of the question with GoT. 

Magicians.  It's a very interesting series, but after a season and a half of watching every main character be a sarcastic, angry asshole, I was banging my head against the wall.

Survivor.  I cheered when Colton was finally voted off.  I stopped watching when they brought him back.

Mr. Robot.  You refrigeratored two women two episodes in a row.  Fuck you.

Interesting topic. Lets see... a lot of shows already mentioned here. Vikings, The Walking Dead, Legion I finished the first season and realized that I admired the show more than I liked it and haven't really bothered continuing. Black Sails was too silly in its first season, so I stopped, though I hear it's a lot better in later seasons. Orphan Black, tired of it after two seasons. Mr. Robot was entertaining enough for its first season but the second season didn't grab me and I was done.

And of course Game of Thrones. 5th season's finale hit me with a wombo combo of crap and my willingness to subject myself to more flew out of the window.

West world.  Saw something like 4 episodes of season 2 and it went from my short list of shows that i watched the night of airing to shows I just dont care at all about.

Maybe S2 pulled it together eventually but i just lost all interest.

27 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

West world.  Saw something like 4 episodes of season 2 and it went from my short list of shows that i watched the night of airing to shows I just dont care at all about.

Maybe S2 pulled it together eventually but i just lost all interest.

Oh yes, Westworld! I forgot that I have ditched that, maybe I just haven't accepted that I have no interest in finishing season 2. I hear a lot of people dropped out midway through. 

It saddens me to see people quit on Black Sails.

Ok, here's my list, starting with the usual suspects:

The Walking Dead - stuck a long time with this one, right until the first episode of the latest season. Also went back just to see how they got Andrew Lincoln off the show; actually what kept me going in the last couple of seasons was that there are a couple of co-workers who watch it and it was fun discussing it with them.

Vikings - quit after Ragnar's end; it was getting silly already, and losing the most charismatic character did it no favors.

The Tudors - watched the first season, and quit after 1-2 episodes in season 2 as everything looked to be more of the same, with no real development. So that's two Hirst shows I've quit. :D

The Big Bang Theory - I watched a lot of seasons of this, for sure 9, but it just got less funny as it went along, and I decided to call it quits.

Mr. Robot - I didn't like the twist with the main character, and going into season 2, it was all just so damn confusing for its own good, I dropped out.

Babylon 5 - whaaaaaat? OK, I actually didn't watch back when it aired. I watched it last year. I liked it, and even loved it at times, until I got to the last season, and it was sooo slooow, and why was Ivanova gone, and I couldn't go on. I haven't been able to go back to it.

Outlander midway through s2. Clare and Jaime just became insufferable to me and it lost its appeal once they left Scotland and the Battle of Culloden was over

The Magicians. Got tired of watching emo college kids. The magic was cool though.

Heroes. Fuck you writer's strike and bringing in scabs to ruin a great show in s2.

Breaking Bad. All the characters were miserable fucks. I may eventually come back to it since most people rave about it.

Boardwalk Empire after s1. Just lost interest.

Project Blue Book. Latest show I gave up on. Very Meh.

The Netflix MCU shows. Daredevil was the only one I would possibly finish.

A number of shows I watched an episode or two of but was never really into.

One show I am damn happy I came back to was Turn. I stopped watching it when the first season was still just airing, but picked back up when it hit Netflix. Ended up loving the series.

13 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Project Blue Book. Latest show I gave up on. Very Meh.

Well I'm not sure we call this one a popular show yet. ;) I still watch it, but I agree it's pretty weak, but I still watch it, as I don't have that many weekly shows to watch nowadays.

16 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Babylon 5 - whaaaaaat? OK, I actually didn't watch back when it aired. I watched it last year. I liked it, and even loved it at times, until I got to the last season, and it was sooo slooow, and why was Ivanova gone, and I couldn't go on. I haven't been able to go back to it.

At the least, go watch the last episode. You will get Ivanova again.

Thought of another one I haven’t seen mentioned, Ray Donovan. I watched the first few seasons, and it was never all that good honestly, but Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight kept me watching. Can’t remember what season I bailed out, but the writing was just too absurd for me at one point. 

Great topic... First, I am good at sticking with the shows... The Big Bang Theory and Grey's Anatomy (which is becoming the longest medical drama of all time this week) can verify that, 

But, I do quit shows. Especially around October when my University sends me the schedules for the next semesters.

1 Homeland - quit after Season 5 

2. House of Cards - didn't watch the last season, don't plan to do that

3. Orange is the New Black  quit after 2 episodes of Season 5. Season 4 was a masterpiece and I couldn't tolerate the crap

4. Orphan Black - season 4. I have no idea why. I always tell myself I need to finish the show, but for some reason, I don't.

5. Entire CW/DC lineup - Not worth of my time

6. Once Upon a Yime - I watched until Season 5, and then just lost interest in it.

Homeland after season 4, it's a shame because the first season was great.

True Blood after season 3 (?)

24 after season 6

The Walking Dead after season 1

The 100, not sure whether it counts as a popular show, but I thought season 2 was excellent and then season 3 seemed determined to either kill off the interesting characters or make them do really stupid things.

Going back a few years, as someone who was a huge fan of the previous Star Trek shows, I took a long time to admit I couldn't take any more of Voyager, but eventually I did give it up.

Arrow season 5. I didn't like the new team Oliver was training at all, or that Black Siren showed up halfway through the season to appease fans angry that Laurel was killed off in season 4 (I personally was happy when she killed off. Never liked her character, not even for a moment), and from what I hear about what happened in Season 6 I'm glad I stopped watching the show when I did.

Two and a Half Men. I stopped watching that when Charlie Sheen was removed from the show and replaced by Ashton Kutcher.

For me, it was a French programme called Une Famille Formidable. For those who don't know, it is (or was) a quiet, thoughtful comedy/drama about ordinary family life, and it is something of a national treasure in France. It has been running since the early 1990s; they make 2 or 3 episodes per year, each of movie-length, and the original cast are all still in it to this day. Some of the actors who play the children of the original characters are actually their real-life children - it's that sort of programme. It is beautiful, subtle and realistic, and acted by serious actors - it is an undiscovered little French gem.

Well, it was. The storylines have become sillier and more sensational over the years, until a recent episode showed the family being stranded on a desert island after their plane crashes, living there fairly happily for a couple of weeks and then being rescued, none the worse for the experience. That was the "jumping the shark" moment for me, but it had been heading that way for a while...  I no longer bother to keep up with it, and I do feel some sadness about it, as I grew up watching and caring about those characters (and the actors who played them).

Are there any French forumites who feel the same way, or who are still enjoying it enough to stick with it?

Archived