Popular shows you quit on

dooog

I never even bothered starting with most of them.  I have quit almost all of the ones I did start, such as: SOA, Vikings, Reign and o so very many more

But I loved Mad Men all the way through all the seasons, as I have, so far, The Magicians. But a long time goes by before each season is available, so that helps, perhaps? And I don't binge through all the episodes at once either.  Sometimes a week will go by before I pick it up again.  I also loved Boardwalk Empire, until they went to Florida and Cuba and it was all so obviously fake, and so badly done -- I hated it.  But I did hang on to that one until the end.

But mostly, I just stop watching, often before I even get to the end of the first episode.

Vikings, Lost, Heroes, Snowfall, Sons Of Anarchy, Legion, Narcos, Westworld, Americans (didn’t bother with the final season, it was stuck in a deep, predictable and gloomy rut), and probably several others I cannot recall right now.  I think they were all good decisions.  Too many shows are prolonged for financial rather than artistic or narrative reasons; others descend into a narrative muddle or the conceit of the show runner.

I reneged on my abandonment of GoT, despite it becoming ridiculous fluff (it was never great TBH).

I also returned to Better Call Saul and was pleased that it finally expanded beyond the petty Chuck-Jimmy rivalry.

I only watched a couple of eps of The Walking Dead, so I don’t count that as a drop.  I just haven’t got into it yet. 

I used to take pride in the fact that I would not quit a show. But that changed gradually, as I began to fast forward the episodes, until I quit them altogether. 
Walking dead: stopped with the end of season 7
Once upon a time: when almost all the original actors stopped i saw no reason to continue
Vikings: after Ragnar's death I was willing to give it a chance, but it was too bad 
Arrow: I have seen the 3 first seasons
This is us: only half a season, too sappy for me
How to get away with murder: saw the first two seasons
I've decided to quit Outlander. As others have said, it lost its charm when they left scotland
Suits: I think after the sixth season
Riverdale is in the same category with this is us, I only saw the first half season out of curiosity

Wow, there are a lot!

I rarely bail on a show., unless i do it early... I watched some awful shot through to the end... SOA, Dexter, Homeland... and I'm even hanging in with Walking Dead and Vikings.... mainly because I'm an asshole who enjoys complaining about bad Tv almost as much as I like watching good TV...lol 

I quit Once Upon a Time so long ago I left it off the list, which is too bad, it was a great and interesting premise but then went off the rails somehow.  

I used to never bail, but now, if I'm not hooked in the first two episodes, I'm out.  These shows where people say the first season was bad, but then it improved, are not for me.

1 hour ago, FunFalconryFacts said:

For me, it was a French programme called Une Famille Formidable. For those who don't know, it is (or was) a quiet, thoughtful comedy/drama about ordinary family life, and it is something of a national treasure in France. It has been running since the early 1990s; they make 2 or 3 episodes per year, each of movie-length, and the original cast are all still in it to this day. Some of the actors who play the children of the original characters are actually their real-life children - it's that sort of programme. It is beautiful, subtle and realistic, and acted by serious actors - it is an undiscovered little French gem.

Well, it was. The storylines have become sillier and more sensational over the years, until a recent episode showed the family being stranded on a desert island after their plane crashes, living there fairly happily for a couple of weeks and then being rescued, none the worse for the experience. That was the "jumping the shark" moment for me, but it had been heading that way for a while...  I no longer bother to keep up with it, and I do feel some sadness about it, as I grew up watching and caring about those characters (and the actors who played them).

Are there any French forumites who feel the same way, or who are still enjoying it enough to stick with it?

Re: Une Famille Formidable - it still has a fantastic theme tune. Enjoy! :)

Breaking Bad: I lasted two seasons, then I just gave up. I could find absolutely nothing redeeming about that show. I think Hank was the only character I didn't hate. 

The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina: I watched like 4-5 episodes, I can barely recall the plot of the first one. Profoundly boring, overly political, terribly acted. 

The Handmaid's Tale: I gave up somewhere during season 2. Sooooo tedious and so predictable. 

Grimm: I think I watched half a season? The fantasy context made no sense to me and the main character felt like a grey block of concrete. He wasn't relatable, he wasn't good looking, he wasn't broody, he wasn't funny, he wasn't adorable, he wasn't cruel, he wasn't anything. 

The 100: I almost watched this all the way through and then I stopped before the very. last. episode. of the latest season. I just don't care enough to go back and watch it. If that doesn't speak volumes of how flat the story has become after two and a half promising season, nothing does. 

What else was there.... 

Black Mirror: I can't take the level of creepiness. 

The Defenders: I started this because I enjoyed Jessica Jones and Luke Cage was hot, but I wasn't interested in the story at all. 

Sisters: I hated all the characters and the story failed to captivate me. I lasted maybe 2-3 episodes. 

The Blacklist: The plot got too ridiculous somewhere by the end of season 4. 

American Crime Story: The OJ edition was amazing, the Versace one couldn't keep interested. 

What was the name of that thing... Shannara Chronicles... my god. Manu Bennett had a stupid haircut and wore a shirt. So there was literally nothing to keep me watching. 

And I did finish Westworld, but should it continue, I'll sure not tune in. Does that count? It killed my brain. 

Wow, I'm a quitter. 

ETA: No I'm not, I finished Once Upon A Time. 

But there are also a few things I quite after or during the first episode, I didn't list those, because it's hardly quitting if you don't ever really start. 

10 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

I forgot about that, I managed to get through 3 seasons but gave up after that. I could handle the plot being ridiculous (there was never a time it wasn't ridiculous), but it felt like it was just going round in circles endlessly.

What was the name of that thing...

Shannara Chronicles... my god. Manu Bennett had a stupid haircut and wore a shirt. So there was literally nothing to keep me watching.

I'm not sure that really falls into the 'popular show' category. I think I managed about 5 or 6 episodes of it.

1 minute ago, williamjm said:

I forgot about that, I managed to get through 3 seasons but gave up after that. I could handle the plot being ridiculous (there was never a time it wasn't ridiculous), but it felt like it was just going round in circles endlessly.

I'm not sure that really falls into the 'popular show' category. I think I managed about 5 or 6 episodes of it.

Ah, I can't even decide what was the worst part, Elizabeth or the Mr Whatshername plotline or Tom or the paternity plotline.. ugh, it even hurts to recall it. 

Yeah, you're right, I just found it too difficult to restrict myself to popular shows. Well, the population is better off this way. 

8 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

Ah, I can't even decide what was the worst part, Elizabeth or the Mr Whatshername plotline or Tom or the paternity plotline.. ugh, it even hurts to recall it.

It does feel like the Blacklist was some sort of experiment to see just how absurd the plotline would have to get before it outweighed the entertainment value of James Spader chewing the scenery.

6 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It does feel like the Blacklist was some sort of experiment to see just how absurd the plotline would have to get before it outweighed the entertainment value of James Spader chewing the scenery.

That sums it up pretty accurately. Either the plot got so bad that he was no longer enough, or he himself got tired to the shitshow too, but even Red wasn't the same in later seasons. 

It's possible I may reconsider at some point, but Broadchurch is one where I stopped after the first season. I thought the first season was excellent, but it didn't feel like something that needed a sequel and what I've heard of the other two seasons doesn't make me feel like they're going to live up to the first season.

5 minutes ago, williamjm said:

It's possible I may reconsider at some point, but Broadchurch is one where I stopped after the first season. I thought the first season was excellent, but it didn't feel like something that needed a sequel and what I've heard of the other two seasons doesn't make me feel like they're going to live up to the first season.

I did the same after watching season 1 a few months back. Some peeps on here told me not to even bother, as I was on the fence about continuing anyways. 

40 minutes ago, williamjm said:

You aren't missing much and it's not as though i hate the other seasons. I imagine there are other shows more worthy of your time.

Given the over abundance of shows we could have a similar thread of "popular shows i meant to watch but realistically suspect i never will watch". Possibly worse than giving up on a show because at least it was due to it being bad as opposed to maybe being a great show i haven't watched due to time constraints and the urge to watch "current" shows

7 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Thought of another one I haven’t seen mentioned, Ray Donovan. I watched the first few seasons, and it was never all that good honestly, but Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight kept me watching. Can’t remember what season I bailed out, but the writing was just too absurd for me at one point. 

Huh, this is something I always hear about (usually around Emmy time) but never felt any inclination to watch.

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

I quit Once Upon a Time so long ago I left it off the list, which is too bad, it was a great and interesting premise but then went off the rails somehow.  

I used to never bail, but now, if I'm not hooked in the first two episodes, I'm out.  These shows where people say the first season was bad, but then it improved, are not for me.

Once Upon a Time was enjoyable for a while, for what it was anyway (fairytale soap opera). But at some point it lost that guilty pleasure quality he became a chore to watch. The Frozen storyline certainly I remember dragged, and brave. Season 1 and 2 I did very much enjoy though. I dropped out one or two seasons before it ended

39 minutes ago, williamjm said:

Absolutely the right decision. The next two are ok, I guess, though season 2 is chock full of silly moments and implausible stuff. Worth watching for Colman and Tennant too, who are always fab. But otherwise you didn’t miss much.

i also dropped legion in S2. Style over substance, masked with a talented cast

The Expanse

2 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

The Handmaid's Tale: I gave up somewhere during season 2. Sooooo tedious and so predictable. 

American Crime Story: The OJ edition was amazing, the Versace one couldn't keep interested.

Preach!

Also, for me, The Expanse. I know folks on this board love it, but I gave up after a while.

Archived