Popular shows you quit on

dooog

37 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Deadwood. :leaving:

Haven't watched the 3rd season, except maybe the first episode. Something about it bored me. Season 1 was excellent, season 2 was a bit weaker. I may return, though, on account of the movie coming sometime this year.

You’re better than this. 

I finished a rewatch like a week ago and still think season 3 is my favorite, despite the abrupt(and depressing)series ending. 

On 2/24/2019 at 2:30 AM, Heartofice said:

What I mean is that GoT is a show I simply cannot just leave any more. I’m locked into it for a variety of reasons.

Ive invested so much time and mental energy into the show, become and obsessive fan boy in the first few seasons, that I don’t know how I can just forget it exists ( although it’s amazing how little I think about the show these days)

Also the hype and media presence of the show means I will be constantly bombarded with news and info, I might as well see it first hand. Add into the fact that  my family and other half still love it, and I don’t have much choice.

I don’t believe Martin is going to finish the series and so if I want any closure,  no matter how poorly implemented then the show is my only source. It’s a sad state of affairs. I don’t need to go over all the reasons why the show has gotten worse, I think a lot of us already know them and can see the deterioration in quality over the past few seasons.

Its painful but I will need to watch it

GOT is a one of those shows where I've seen a few episodes, but not been interested in paying for HBO. But now that they've moved past the books, I read the recaps to see what is happening. 

Orphan Black seems great from the episodes I've watched, but from what I have read, they don't really stick the landing so I'm not super invested in watching more than I have, which is most of Season 1. 

Oh jeez, I don't even know where to begin. I went through all the replies in this thread to refresh my memory and here's the ones I also quit at some point:

The Walking Dead
House of Cards
Veep
The League
Dexter
Westworld
House
Newsroom
Justified
Mad Men
The Blacklist
The Expanse
True Detective
Deadwood

Most of the other shows people listed I never even watched in the first place. I think LOST, Breaking Bad, and Game of Thrones are the only three here that I have watched all of. Other recent shows I've dropped of from include: The Umbrella Academy, Lucifer, Supernatural, and Russian Doll. I guess I'm not much of TV person really; I don't watch many shows, and I often get bored relatively quickly. I need really compelling characters and a really interesting plot and even the very good shows usually only have one of those.

I think part of it is that I usually like video games a lot more, even though the average story there is worse than the average TV story, because I like the interactivity so much. So I need a TV show to really catch my interest for me to stick with it rather than just play a game when I'm on the couch. And sometimes the video game story are a lot better. I'd take the 8 hours I played/read Night In The Woods over any 10 episode Netflix show. There's only a handful of shows from my list that I regret dropping off of, probably just The Expanse and Deadwood, but even for them I'm not sure if I'll ever go back.

Dexter totally changed how I watch TV. I now only watch shows, with a few exceptions, once they're finished. Damn you Dexter! Damn you!

Anyways, recent shows I quit early on are House of Cards The Walking Dead. HoC should have been one season with the first episode of the second season being the finale, and TWD needed to end several seasons ago.

Usual list it looks like. 

House of Cards. Went off the rails after S1, maybe S2...and it's over

Legion liked S1 but DVR missed couple ep of S2 and I heard it got way too hard to watch

Hannibal loved S1 but then it just seemed to go a bit nutty

Mr Robot again, loved S1 but see above!

Two and a Half Men, loved it, then hated it. Won't watch any Kutcher episodes

These two may not count as popular but need some new blood in this thread

Quantico never loved it but it was ok, until it wasn't.

Blindspot, never loved it but....see above.

A few I should quit but haven't...TWD, Vikings, and The Man in the high castle. I just started watching this and S1 was interesting but started going down an unexpected road and apparently based on what I've seen of S2 it keeps on heading there...likely dropping this one.

12 hours ago, Vaughn said:

GOT is a one of those shows where I've seen a few episodes, but not been interested in paying for HBO. But now that they've moved past the books, I read the recaps to see what is happening. 

Orphan Black seems great from the episodes I've watched, but from what I have read, they don't really stick the landing so I'm not super invested in watching more than I have, which is most of Season 1. 

I thought Orphan Black managed to stick the landing. I would say more that it had a mid-series slump in S3 (though imo that’s improves on a rewatch). Show is worth it for Tatiana Maslany alone though

Mad Men, sorry I know people love it but I thought it was awful, the characters, the dialogue, made it through to the end of the first season as I was stuck in bed with flu and someone gave me the box set years ago, never even wanted to start the second!.

Another one for Homeland, I think I made it to the middle of season 2- Brody you’re even more annoying than Don and Pete were in Mad Men, Carrie- you’re not Jack Bauer with teats, please just stop.

The Walking Dead: The Season 6 finale was one of the worst pieces of writing I've ever seen. I own Season 7 on Blu-Ray so may return to it, but I've not been moved to so far for 3 years.

The 100: The first two seasons were very good, Season 3 started off well and then completely fell apart, killing off great characters for no apparent reason but killing one character because he told the bullying showrunner to fuck off, which was petty and sad. The story was also getting sillier, so I bailed.

House of Cards: Season 1 was solid, but by halfway through Season 2 the show was losing focus and and becoming increasingly cartoonish in its plotting. I didn't go back after Season 2. The original UK version was far, far superior.

Man in the High Castle: I may give this a go at another point, but after somewhat enjoying the first season, Season 2 lost me almost immediately. The plotting and characters felt off from where Season 1 ended and I couldn't get back into it.

Homeland: I got through 3-4 episodes of this before saying nope. Post-9/11 jingoistic nonsense.

24: The first season started off well and then fell apart due to execrable pacing and that ridiculous amnesia storyline. My housemate was a huge fan so I did catch multiple episodes from other seasons and it seemed to get far worse, not to mention also descending further and further into post-9/11 jingoistic nonsense.

Crusade: There is no bigger fan of Bablyon 5 on this Earth apart from me, but the spin-off was badly-written and badly-acted and has possibly the worst musical score ever created for a TV show, ever (which after B5's fantastic score was unforgivable). I bailed after 4 episodes.

Star Trek: Voyager: The only Star Trek show to date to peak in Season 1. I stopped watching altogether in Season 5, but for a good chunk of 3-5 I was only watching sporadically. For completionist purposes I should go back and finish it (having heroically battled through Enterprise to do the same thing), but the thought of shooting through those 175 episodes is not encouraging.

Remembered another one: Twin Peaks

Once they solved the main mystery the whole thing fell apart. Made an effort to take a second run at the whole thing before S3 aired a couple years ago and I just couldn't get through it. It became ridiculous even by its own absurd standards.

OOOh! I remember one!

The Following

Starring Kevin Bacon and (the reason I watched) the delightful James Purefoy. It was altogether garbage, as network television so often is these days, but Purefoy kept me around until the finale at least. But like 2 episodes into the second season I just couldn't do it anymore.

Altered Carbon's second season isn't out yet but it's been confirmed so I'll go ahead and add it to my list preemptively. Again, I tuned in for Purefoy and he was criminally underused and sent away with a pathetic whimper.

ETA: Form

2 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

OOOh! I remember one!

The Following

Starring Kevin Bacon and (the reason I watched) the delightful James Purefoy. It was altogether garbage, as network television so often is these days, but Purefoy kept me around until the finale at least. But like 2 episodes into the second season I just couldn't do it anymore.

Altered Carbon's second season isn't out yet but it's been confirmed so I'll go ahead and add it to my list preemptively. Again, I tuned in for Purefoy and he was criminally underused and sent away with a pathetic whimper.

ETA: Form

I'm pretty sure I stopped that show at the same time and I was only there for Purefoy. I can remember post Rome there were a few shows I watched just because they featured the main cast of "Rome". There was "traveller" and "the philanthropist" that I watched solely because of Purefoy and Kevin Mckidd.

Do we know that Purefoy isn't in the second season of "altered carbon"? From what I heard they aren't adapting the second book so it may be they are using some of the settings/characters from season 1 still?

Torchwood is an unusual case for me. I made it about halfway through the first season before giving up. I then watched about halfway through the second season before giving up again. After that I did watch all of seasons 3 (which was excellent) and 4 (which wasn't).

13 minutes ago, red snow said:

I'm pretty sure I stopped that show at the same time and I was only there for Purefoy. I can remember post Rome there were a few shows I watched just because they featured the main cast of "Rome". There was "traveller" and "the philanthropist" that I watched solely because of Purefoy and Kevin Mckidd.

Do we know that Purefoy isn't in the second season of "altered carbon"? From what I heard they aren't adapting the second book so it may be they are using some of the settings/characters from season 1 still?

If I'm gonna be honest... even if Purefoy is in the second season I don't think I could be coerced into watching. I can't recall ever thinking a show fell so far so fast in my opinion of it than Altered Carbon. The first 3 or 4 episodes were pretty great and very interesting. After that I just fucking hated everything that was happening. With the one exception being the bitch with the snake if that fell after the first 4 episodes.

That snake business went so far into the absurd that it transcended 'on the nose' and became fucking amazing.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

How long can one watch beloved characters walking around in circles getting brutally killed in increasingly deranged ways?

Well the good thing is the beloved characters are leaving the show at a rapid rate anyway - and they don't even kill them off anymore.  I watch it because otherwise I wouldn't be watching or doing anything more worthwhile.  That's a me problem.

3 minutes ago, DMC said:

Well the good thing is the beloved characters are leaving the show at a rapid rate anyway - and they don't even kill them off anymore.  I watch it because otherwise I wouldn't be watching or doing anything more worthwhile.  That's a me problem.

I think I'd prefer to watch domestic abuse than that trainwreck of a television program.

That's also a me problem.

The other thing with TWD is I'm into the comics so I often want to see how they'll adapt certain things/characters.  Like right now with the Whisperers, they actually did a better job introducing Alpha than the comics in a lot of ways.

12 minutes ago, DMC said:

The other thing with TWD is I'm into the comics so I often want to see how they'll adapt certain things/characters.  Like right now with the Whisperers, they actually did a better job introducing Alpha than the comics in a lot of ways.

I am stuck like you. There isn't a lot out there I like so I rooted for them to kill Rick and had to settle for what they did. I really liked Ep 1-2 with the Whisperers but I think the show revealed them too soon.

I also loved The Following S1 and would have been happy if it ended there, but no...they had to milk it and ruin it.

Archived