Popular shows you quit on

dooog

6 hours ago, DMC said:

The other thing with TWD is I'm into the comics so I often want to see how they'll adapt certain things/characters.  Like right now with the Whisperers, they actually did a better job introducing Alpha than the comics in a lot of ways.

Luckily I got as bored of the comics as I did with the show. Realising I didn’t care about seeing how they will adapt Negan was a bit of a nail in that coffin

11 hours ago, Werthead said:

Star Trek: Voyager: The only Star Trek show to date to peak in Season 1. I stopped watching altogether in Season 5, but for a good chunk of 3-5 I was only watching sporadically. For completionist purposes I should go back and finish it (having heroically battled through Enterprise to do the same thing), but the thought of shooting through those 175 episodes is not encouraging.

This can’t be a common opinion can it? I thought the consensus was that the earlier seasons were pretty weak. The Kazon, Neelix and Kes ... not their strongest stuff. I think the later writing got lazier, but better. Lazier in that they fell back on writing for Janeway, Seven and the Doctor, and brought the Borg in. But the episodes were generally better. I forget what period Species 8472 and the Hirogen were, that was all pretty good though.

14 hours ago, DMC said:

Well the good thing is the beloved characters are leaving the show at a rapid rate anyway - and they don't even kill them off anymore.  I watch it because otherwise I wouldn't be watching or doing anything more worthwhile.  That's a me problem.

Is my bae still alive? 

6 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

This can’t be a common opinion can it? I thought the consensus was that the earlier seasons were pretty weak. The Kazon, Neelix and Kes ... not their strongest stuff. I think the later writing got lazier, but better. Lazier in that they fell back on writing for Janeway, Seven and the Doctor, and brought the Borg in. But the episodes were generally better. I forget what period Species 8472 and the Hirogen were, that was all pretty good though.

I've been around Star Trek online fandom since the first message boards started to pop up in the mid-late 90s, and this is the first time I've ever seen someone say they preferred early Voyager.

The show clearly peaked in seasons 4 and 5. It's not even close. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Is my bae still alive? 

I dunno, who dat?  Judith?  You sick fuck.  Seriously, if you mean Maggie, who'd be my first choice as bae, she's still alive but off the show - the character joined another group they briefly set up.  Her departure was entirely unceremonious as it coincided with Rick's.  If you mean Rita, who'd be my clear second choice as bae, she's alive and pregnant - which if you know the comics is not a good omen for her.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

I dunno, who dat?  Judith?  You sick fuck.  Seriously, if you mean Maggie, who'd be my first choice as bae, she's still alive but off the show - the character joined another group they briefly set up.  Her departure was entirely unceremonious as it coincided with Rick's.  If you mean Rita, who'd be my clear second choice as bae, she's alive and pregnant - which if you know the comics is not a good omen for her.

Dat be her. Good to know she didn’t have some awful death scene. I gave up around the fifth season, so that’s largely where my knowledge ends outside of stuff that gets talked about in the limited pop culture I consume.

11 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Season 1 was reasonably fresh, they tried to at least explore the premise of the actual show (which later seasons cheerfully ignored with their magic shuttle construction lines and magically self-healing ship) and it did have a few good episodes like Eye of the Needle.

Later seasons were much more patchy, in that they had some much stronger episodes in Season 1 (like Scorpion) but they also had some truly fucking terrible episodes that were far below being even "unwatchable" by S1 standards (hello Threshold). As you say, they also relied too heavily on a few characters later on and often in a lazy or inconsistent manner: it was impossible to tell how Janeway would react to any given situation as the writers just decided on a whim rather than thinking about what the character would do. That rot hadn't set in during S1. Kes wasn't a great character, but she also didn't overwhelm the rest of the show (as Seven later did, often pointlessly as she was very rarely given material to stretch Jeri Ryan's acting talents).

• 3 weeks later...

Oh Weeds! I tried to get through it but I couldn’t. The biggest reason why is my hatred for Andy. Ever since he got his nephew molested, I really could not stand the guy and hated the show’s portrayal of him being still the lovable goofball, whose pains we should care about. When it started looking like he’d be paired with Nancy, I just kinda called it quits. 

Archived