Is x character a psychopath?

Varysblackfyre321

Being evil doesn't make the person a psycho.  The slavers are the cruelest of them all but they're not psycho.  It's not that they lack selfcontrol.  It's just they don't care about the slaves they hurt.  Ramsay shows poor selfcontrol, violent temper, aggressiveness, and therefore fit the term.  

The Psychos

Ramsay

Gregor

Harma Dogshead

Weeper

The eastern mercenaries have many psychos on their rosters.

Euron

Victarion

Theon

Vargo

2 hours ago, Quoth the raven, said:

Victarion

Theon

This doesn't really seem right. Theon feels at least some degree of shame in how he handled Winterfell and tried to a degree to model what he thought was good lord off the example Ned Stark-no Ironborn captain would whip one his men over raping a peasant girl that's from the place the ironborn is currently invading. Victorienfeels shame over beating his wife to death protect his honor, and shows disgust when people don't follow "the old way", for example he was enraged of the type of slavery that is practiced in Essos. If he was a psychopath he would not care about these things at all. 

They're bad people-don't get me wrong-but not psychopaths.

4 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

I guess Arya because the author called her that.

Holy bleep. He actually did say that. Video link in the thread. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/7pyq3c/grrm_states_that_arya_is_a_psychopath/

He must not be aware of the technical definition used by the Hare test or is just using the common version of the word which is (annoyingly) actually quite different than the technical definition. 

2 hours ago, Lollygag said:

Holy bleep. He actually did say that. Video link in the thread. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/7pyq3c/grrm_states_that_arya_is_a_psychopath/

He must not be aware of the technical definition used by the Hare test or is just using the common version of the word which is (annoyingly) actually quite different than the technical definition. 

It's his intention that count.  He intended her to be.  

6 hours ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Also, possibly Septon Utt and Amory Lorch

Nobody has mentioned Littlefinger either.

Plus one on Littlefinger.

Septon Utt shows remorse which disqualifies him. 

Also a sadist isnt necessarily a psychopath (or the other way around).

Im surprised no one mentioned Varys but I very much think he could be a psychpath. One without perversions and sadism (like Arya :) )

2 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Plus one on Littlefinger.

Septon Utt shows remorse which disqualifies him. 

Also a sadist isnt necessarily a psychopath (or the other way around).

Im surprised no one mentioned Varys but I very much think he could be a psychpath. One without perversions and sadism (like Arya :) )

Reckon Roose is a psychopath? Or just a sadist? Or neither

3 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Reckon Roose is a psychopath? Or just a sadist? Or neither

Psychopath and not sadist.

How he treats Ramsay and his mother is good example: he rapes the mother and hangs her husband (”and on the way back my horse came up lame so, all in all a dismal day”) shows zero empathy and zero remorse.

When she turns up with Ramsay and tells how her brother in laws kicked her out however, Roose has no intrest in making her life even more miserable - instead he gives her the mill and start providing for Ramsay - which is not at all how a sadist would handle them.

6 minutes ago, Sigella said:

Psychopath and not sadist.

How he treats Ramsay and his mother is good example: he rapes the mother and hangs her husband (”and on the way back my horse came up lame so, all in all a dismal day”) shows zero empathy and zero remorse.

When she turns up with Ramsay and tells how her brother in laws kicked her out however, Roose has no intrest in making her life even more miserable - instead he gives her the mill and start providing for Ramsay - which is not at all how a sadist would handle them.

Similar indifference toward the death of Domeric

A Dance with Dragons - Reek III

"Yes, m'lord. Domeric. I … I have heard his name …"

"Ramsay killed him. A sickness of the bowels, Maester Uthor says, but I say poison. In the Vale, Domeric had enjoyed the company of Redfort's sons. He wanted a brother by his side, so he rode up the Weeping Water to seek my bastard out. I forbade it, but Domeric was a man grown and thought that he knew better than his father. Now his bones lie beneath the Dreadfort with the bones of his brothers, who died still in the cradle, and I am left with Ramsay. Tell me, my lord … if the kinslayer is accursed, what is a father to do when one son slays another?"

3 minutes ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Similar indifference toward the death of Domeric

Exactly.

Joffrey oth is a sadist but not a psychpath because he likes hurting people and animals but he gets butthurt whenever Sansa isnt wearing his stupid moonstones or someone forgets that he is king. 

There is no clear definition of what a psychopath actually is. Sociopath is an easier term to pin down. When I think of the stereotypical “psychopath”, characteristics of antisocial personality disorder are what come to mind. Such as a total disregard for right and wrong, a complete lack of empathy/compassion/remorse, and the overall view that other people are objects to be used to your benifit. 

3 hours ago, Foot_Of_The_King said:

There is no clear definition of what a psychopath actually is. Sociopath is an easier term to pin down. When I think of the stereotypical “psychopath”, characteristics of antisocial personality disorder are what come to mind. Such as a total disregard for right and wrong, a complete lack of empathy/compassion/remorse, and the overall view that other people are objects to be used to your benifit. 

On 2/28/2019 at 1:43 AM, Rose of Red Lake said:

I guess Arya because the author called her that.

She is that.  She killed the old man in Braavos to further advance in her training.  That man had done her no harm.  She killed Daeron the crow and felt no remorse.  The crow had done her no harm.  She tortured Rafford before killing him.  She is a psycho.  She even goes through identity crisis like Norman Bates.

19 hours ago, The Transporter said:

She is that.  She killed the old man in Braavos to further advance in her training.  That man had done her no harm.  She killed Daeron the crow and felt no remorse.  The crow had done her no harm.  She tortured Rafford before killing him.  She is a psycho.  She even goes through identity crisis like Norman Bates.

But how much of this is brought on by an actually psychosis of the brain and how much of this is just a result of a child experiencing massive trauma for a couple of years while being forced to do whatever she can to survive in a cruel world? Psychopaths are born not made. 

Archived