“Black Panther”
“BlacKkKlansman”
“Bohemian Rhapsody”
“The Favourite”
“Green Book”
“Roma”
“A Star Is Born”
“Vice”

Colman and Green Book were the surprises of the night. I didn't see those coming (although Colman won BAFTA). Unfortunately, Rami won an Oscar (Jesus, Mary and Joseph...)

If they planned on giving the main award to Green Book, they could have given the Lead Actor to Viggo... But, no...

I honestly don't think there were any surprises here at all.

Colman deserves the Oscar, she was incredible and is a brilliant actress in a fantastic movie. The Favourite should have won best picture but I am in no way surprised it went to Green Book, which is a much easier movie to watch, its very much a movie that everyone can understand and enjoy, it tugs on the old heart strings and is about a hot button issue.

Green Book is the obvious winner of best picture when you think about all the boxes it ticks. Sometimes the academy goes for an off the wall, odder movie as its BP (like say Birdman) but I can see why they would want to pick a movie that the everyday person would enjoy. I didn't think it was a great movie, or a memorable movie, but I really enjoyed it. 

Also, we should all have learnt by now that doing an impression of a dead singer gives you 100+ Oscar points. Add in disability or life threatening illness and boom, you win.

9 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Yeah, and I find that part of Tropic Thunder very offensive. I also thought Green Book was kind of racist, so *shrug*

Is it the taboo word? That's kinda the point my man. I think it was specifically a little shout out to 'Being John Malkovich' but I can't source that, just pretty sure I heard Ben Stiller say it during a TV appearance.

Regardless, you're a strange one. I accept you though, because that's how great I am, so come on up here for your trophy and a warm but patronizing embrace.

I’m so happy Colman won. Didn’t see the Wife so can’t judge her against Glenn Close but I actually prefer the idea of not “retroactively” awarding oscars just because the whole body of the actors works hasn’t never been recognised yet. If you are going to do that, it’s a different award (lifetime achievement or whatever). Far rather see people awarded for the film they have been nominated with.

And Colman also continued her run of lovely speeches, thisntime complete with blowing a raspberry :P I love that she always very sincerely thanks Rachel and Emma too

39 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

Is it the taboo word? That's kinda the point my man. I think it was specifically a little shout out to 'Being John Malkovich' but I can't source that, just pretty sure I heard Ben Stiller say it during a TV appearance.

Regardless, you're a strange one. I accept you though, because that's how great I am, so come on up here for your trophy and a warm but patronizing embrace.

You're going to have to explain the Being John Malkovich thing to me then. I don't get it.

Edit: But I'm bowing out of this thread before I get pissy and get tmyself in trouble.

7 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

I loved Black Panther, but to be honest I want it to win to watch all the right wing snowflakes have a meltdown.

Also people with taste and an understanding of what an Oscar for best picture should mean. 

4 hours ago, Risto said:

I wouldn't say better. Colman deserved the Oscar, winning it fair and square. It was just that moment when people thought this was the last time for Close to be in conversation for winning. One great career may end without Oscar... That's really sad.

Yeah, that's fair, and it would be sad if she never won. She's had some great roles. I guess she'll be in line for a lifetime achievement award, which is a bit of a slap for someone who's actually done Oscar-worthy work.

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

I honestly don't think there were any surprises here at all.

Colman deserves the Oscar, she was incredible and is a brilliant actress in a fantastic movie. The Favourite should have won best picture but I am in no way surprised it went to Green Book, which is a much easier movie to watch, its very much a movie that everyone can understand and enjoy, it tugs on the old heart strings and is about a hot button issue.

Green Book is the obvious winner of best picture when you think about all the boxes it ticks. Sometimes the academy goes for an off the wall, odder movie as its BP (like say Birdman) but I can see why they would want to pick a movie that the everyday person would enjoy. I didn't think it was a great movie, or a memorable movie, but I really enjoyed it. 

Also, we should all have learnt by now that doing an impression of a dead singer gives you 100+ Oscar points. Add in disability or life threatening illness and boom, you win.

I would disagree.

First one - Colman. She won only BAFTA prior to coming to Oscars, and everyone thought it was because of, well, British. Close won SAG, Globe, Critics Choice. She came dressed in gold, so her team (as do we) believed she was winning. Entire time, we have the overdue narrative in somewhat lackluster year. So, Academy supporting Colman in such way, is indeed a surprise. 

Green Book also lost all the precursors. Even last night, winning only Supporting Actor and Original Script, was not some great indicator. But given how they spread gold, surprises were half-expected by the end of the night, I am not quite sure about "Green Book". Just like "Bohemian Rhapsody", it left a bit of sour taste in my mind, and I will be rewatching it to make a final judgement.

As for Malek, I am sorry, but that entire thing truly frustrates me. I understand what Academy saw there, I just find it unbearable. Luckily, it was a lackluster year.

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Yeah, that's fair, and it would be sad if she never won. She's had some great roles. I guess she'll be in line for a lifetime achievement award, which is a bit of a slap for someone who's actually done Oscar-worthy work.

I can't believe Leonardo pulled the overdue narrative and worked for him for that atrocity of "The Revenant" and Glenn Close may finish her career without an Oscar (same goes for Amy Adams, who lost, was it for the 6th time?)

Also, did someone get a weird vibe from Gaga and Cooper's performance? I mean, the end was a bit uncomfortable to watch.

15 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’m so happy Colman won. Didn’t see the Wife so can’t judge her against Glenn Close but I actually prefer the idea of not “retroactively” awarding oscars just because the whole body of the actors works hasn’t never been recognised yet. If you are going to do that, it’s a different award (lifetime achievement or whatever). Far rather see people awarded for the film they have been nominated with.

I struggle to think of a year Glenn close was robbed so I don't understand the clamour to give her one. Unlike DiCaprio for example. 

Agree that this is exactly the sort of thing the lifetime achievement award should be used to address. 

Archived