Academy Awards 2019: Oscar Night

Mladen

Just now, BigFatCoward said:

I struggle to think of a year Glenn close was robbed so I don't understand the clamour to give her one. Unlike DiCaprio for example. 

Agree that this is exactly the sort of thing the lifetime achievement award should be used to address. 

Really? Even DiCaprio was never robbed, perhaps the case can be made for "What's Eating Gilbert Grape". As for Close, she was phenomenal in "Albert Nobbs", but Meryl Streep decided to campaign for the 3rd Oscar and no one could have ignored that, She was incredible in "Dangerous Liasions" losing to Jodie Foster in "The Accused" and in "Fatal Attraction" losing to Cher for "Moonstruck". She has Oscar-worthy performances and there is a reason why there was an overdue narrative. 

Close has had the misfortune of never turning in the best performance of the year in the years nominated. This is not just an Academy thing. She's never won a BAFTA, she finally got her consolation prize of a Golden Globe this year but missed out all the previous times, etc. 

She's a classic case for a lifetime achievement award, which is basically the prize for consistency over the years.

I'll give you the Cher one, I forgot about that. However i thought the wolf of wall street was the best acting performance of the last 20 year so obviously I think he was robbed (anyone who comes in with a Daniel Day Lewis performance can fuck right off, the most 'emperor's new clothes' mother fucker in history). 

Except the one he didn't win. The name of the father was a remarkable performance. 

1 minute ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'll give you the Cher one, I forgot about that. However i thought the wolf of wall street was the best acting performance of the last 20 year so obviously I think he was robbed (anyone who comes in with a Daniel Day Lewis performance can fuck right off, the most 'emperor's new clothes' mother fucker in history) 

While I wouldn't be quite so effusive in my praise of Leo's performance as Wolfie, I nevertheless agree. Day Lewis is... adequate.

24 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'll give you the Cher one, I forgot about that. However i thought the wolf of wall street was the best acting performance of the last 20 year so obviously I think he was robbed (anyone who comes in with a Daniel Day Lewis performance can fuck right off, the most 'emperor's new clothes' mother fucker in history). 

Except the one he didn't win. The name of the father was a remarkable performance. 

I liked Leo in WoWS, I really liked him. I would have even chosen him over McConaughey, But, Matthew did incredible transformation for Dallas Buyers Club and I fully understand why Academy (and other awarding bodies) opted for Matthew. 

32 minutes ago, Ran said:

Close has had the misfortune of never turning in the best performance of the year in the years nominated. This is not just an Academy thing. She's never won a BAFTA, she finally got her consolation prize of a Golden Globe this year but missed out all the previous times, etc. 

She's a classic case for a lifetime achievement award, which is basically the prize for consistency over the years.

Yeah, although I have to say that I will always find that her not being awarded for "Dangerous liaisons" is borderline criminal.

10 minutes ago, Risto said:

I liked Leo in WoWS, I really liked him. I would have even chosen him over McConaughey, But, Matthew did incredible transformation for Dallas Buyers Club and I fully understand why Academy (and other awarding bodies) opted for Matthew. 

I understand it, but I don't agree with it. Losing weight is not acting. 

9 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

I understand it, but I don't agree with it. Losing weight is not acting. 

I wouldn't downplay Matthew's performance to losing weight. I thought and still do that he was absolutely amazing in that role.

2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I’m so happy Colman won. Didn’t see the Wife so can’t judge her against Glenn Close but I actually prefer the idea of not “retroactively” awarding oscars just because the whole body of the actors works hasn’t never been recognised yet. If you are going to do that, it’s a different award (lifetime achievement or whatever). Far rather see people awarded for the film they have been nominated with.

And Colman also continued her run of lovely speeches, thisntime complete with blowing a raspberry :P I love that she always very sincerely thanks Rachel and Emma too

me too. I have not seen the film of Glenn Close but I loved Colman's performance in the Favourite.

I read(I did not watch the Oscars-I’ve come to see it as little more than elitist circle jerk), that the award best animated feature this year was Spider-Man:into the spiderverse. I’m glad this year the academy didn’t insult those who value animated films as legitimate movies, by giving the award to a extremely low-tier animated film like they did last year. 

24 minutes ago, Varysblackfyre321 said:

I read(I did not watch the Oscars-I’ve come to see it as little more than elitist circle jerk), that the award best animated feature this year was Spider-Man:into the spiderverse. I’m glad this year the academy didn’t insult those who value animated films as legitimate movies, by giving the award to a extremely low-tier animated film like they did last year. 

It wasn't an especially strong year for animation looking at those nominations. Its always a bit of a shaky category. On the whole Spiderverse doesn't seem like a great fit for an oscar, but it was my favourite of those mentioned.

I didn't see Green Book so I can't really comment on it, but a lot of critics I trust seemed to have some pretty serious problems with it. Critical taste isn't always the most important thing, but that fact did make me a bit surprised Green Book won. Not too surprised though, since I also saw an article a little while ago about how some older members of the academy were getting upset that they were being told they weren't supposed to like Green Book and were saying they may vote for it simply out of spite.

I did see Bohemian Rhapsody, and, as I said, I thought it was terrible.

I also saw A Star Is Born, and I thought it was really good, especially the first half, and the Academy totally shafted it. At the very least, the guy who was actually singing should've beaten the guy who was lip-synching for Best Actor. I also would've been happy to see Lady Gaga win, but I didn't see Coleman's or Close's movies, so I don't know how deserving they also were.

Spike Lee's speech was all over the place but I was glad he finally won.

It's all nonsense though anyway, the best movie I saw last year was Mission: Impossible-Fallout and it didn't get nominated for anything.

16 minutes ago, Fez said:

I didn't see Green Book so I can't really comment on it, but a lot of critics I trust seemed to have some pretty serious problems with it. Critical taste isn't always the most important thing, but that fact did make me a bit surprised Green Book won. Not too surprised though, since I also saw an article a little while ago about how some older members of the academy were getting upset that they were being told they weren't supposed to like Green Book and were saying they may vote for it simply out of spite.

I haven't heard about any of this. Seems bizarre.

I think most of us have agreed that this has been a poor year for the Oscars. And the end result showed it, given how distributed the awards were. As the night was moving along, with Roma winning some, Bohemian Rhapsody winning some, Black Panther winning a couple early, Green Book getting the original screenplay, I thought to myself it was a toss up, and maybe it really was in reality a toss up. Actually, all 8 movies nominated for best picture won at least one award.

Archived