LOTR prequel TV series 2.0

The Marquis de Leech

5 hours ago, Slurktan said:

I don't think the map is supposed to show a time at all, it just shows stuff named in Sindarin.  That's it.

Yep.  Can't deny it was a good marketing campaign, but seems pretty clear now that's all it is.

44 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yep.  Can't deny it was a good marketing campaign, but seems pretty clear now that's all it is.

Then why the old Sindarin name for Lothlorien, and not the current Sindarin name? This isn't simply an Elvish map. It's an anachronistic Elvish map. 

Because it piques interest?

34 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Then why the old Sindarin name for Lothlorien, and not the current Sindarin name? This isn't simply an Elvish map. It's an anachronistic Elvish map. 

OK, let's look at it this way. If there is a final update tomorrow (or potentially the day after. The verse mentions the One Ring multiple times)... what is missing?

What can be added?

• It's seriously unlikely to be anything Rohirric, because that contradicts Minas Anor/Ithil
  • The Shire? The founding of The Shire is early enough to fit with Anor/Ithil, but how are they incorporating hobbits into the wider story?
  • Bree? Fangorn? The Old Forest? Iron Hills? Too dull for a final announcement
  • Arnor and Gondor are implied by this map.
  • Angmar, Amon Hen, Dol Amroth, and Erebor would be definite proof of the Third Age. As would any of the sub-realms of Arnor.
  • Ditto Dagorlad, the Dead Marshes, and the Tower of Cirith Ungol unless they're being merged into the Last Alliance
  • Eregion would be likely proof of the Second Age (start with Rings, end with Last Alliance)

4 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

If it ends up being Young Aragorn after this, I am going to feel cheated.

Wouldn't say cheated, but yeah I think it'd suck too.  I'm just afflicted with this disease that's called being a cynical asshole.

I'm no expert in Tolkien lore whatsoever but when i looked at the maps it felt more like a timeline showing the evolution of the world? Starts blank then has more details added. A bit like those aerisl photographs where you can see how a city has changed over several decades.

YEEESSSS!!! The new map https://www.amazon.com/adlp/lotronprime

Not just Numenor, but they've put Eregion there, Enedwaith is forested, and a whole lot more. 

Edit: But it's crazy how they removed all else, so now I feel we're being trolled.

2nd edit: OK, I'm thinking a series with long time jumps, not quite an anthology, but close. Season 1, the forging of the rings, Sauron's war with the Elves and his capture by Numenor; season 2 - the fall of Numenor and the foundation of Gondor and Arnor; season 3 - the Last Alliance.

They also put "Tol Morwen" on the map which is a major deep dive into the lore.

And of course the Numenor map is copyrighted as part of UT. This basically confirms they have the rights to UT.

What makes the sale of UT rights so massive is that it is a wedge into The Silmarillion. While this Second Age series won't go there, this means the Estate has been willing to part with the rights to basically half of Turin's story, and half of Tuor's.

I think we're going to see The Silmarillion within fifteen years. Squeeeee.......

8 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

OK, let's look at it this way. If there is a final update tomorrow (or potentially the day after. The verse mentions the One Ring multiple times)... what is missing?

What can be added?

• It's seriously unlikely to be anything Rohirric, because that contradicts Minas Anor/Ithil
  • The Shire? The founding of The Shire is early enough to fit with Anor/Ithil, but how are they incorporating hobbits into the wider story?
  • Bree? Fangorn? The Old Forest? Iron Hills? Too dull for a final announcement
  • Arnor and Gondor are implied by this map.
  • Angmar, Amon Hen, Dol Amroth, and Erebor would be definite proof of the Third Age. As would any of the sub-realms of Arnor.
  • Ditto Dagorlad, the Dead Marshes, and the Tower of Cirith Ungol unless they're being merged into the Last Alliance
  • Eregion would be likely proof of the Second Age (start with Rings, end with Last Alliance)

I think it might focus on the The Rings of Power.  Their forging, their corruption of those who have been given them, etc.  Season-long arcs.

If so, I'm willing to bet the title of the show will be J. R. R. Tolkien's The Rings of Power or something similar.

I've been re-reading (well, skimming) UT this afternoon and I'm not sure if the book alone covers it. A lot of the details of the Downfall aren't there. If they really want to tell the story of the Second Age in full, they really need The Silmarillion rights as well (for the Akallabeth). Interesting.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

I've been re-reading (well, skimming) UT this afternoon and I'm not sure if the book alone covers it. A lot of the details of the Downfall aren't there. If they really want to tell the story of the Second Age in full, they really need The Silmarillion rights as well (for the Akallabeth). Interesting.

Potentially. You can still tell the Downfall story without the Akallabeth - there's enough of an outline in UT and the LOTR appendices to work with, and creative writers can fill in the gaps. Hell, it's the one Tolkienian story where you really can go Game of Thrones-y, with the corruption, social decadence, and political backstabbing of the era.

Failing that, potentially the Akallabeth rights could be split away from the rights to the Quenta Silmarillion? I'd be very, very surprised if they've got The Silmarillion too.

9 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I think it might focus on the The Rings of Power.  Their forging, their corruption of those who have been given them, etc.  Season-long arcs.

If so, I'm willing to bet the title of the show will be J. R. R. Tolkien's The Rings of Power or something similar.

It seems it's going to be Rings of Power (Eregion's there) > Numenor, likely leading onto the Last Alliance.

It feel nice to have guessed this in advance. :)

Archived