LOTR prequel TV series 2.0

The Marquis de Leech

2 hours ago, Werthead said:

Not sure how that tracks with previous reports of filming in Scotland, as it seems impractical for the show to film on two opposite sides of the planet simultaneously, and that's a colossal expense to up and move production between the two locations. Either that or Scotland was never going to be the location, but the reports seemed pretty firm about it.

Why couldn't they shoot in both, considering the investment they made with the show?  Maybe I don't get what you're saying, but I don't see why they couldn't have two different units for each.

Yeah, multiple units doesn't seem impossible. That said, if the studio in Edinburgh isn't completing in time, they may simply have lost the show to New Zealand.

13 hours ago, DMC said:

Why couldn't they shoot in both, considering the investment they made with the show?  Maybe I don't get what you're saying, but I don't see why they couldn't have two different units for each.

When you have a large production, shooting in different locations is normal. The more you separate out those locations, the more impractical it becomes if the units are shooting simultaneously. For example, GoT could shoot simultaneously between Belfast, Iceland, Morocco and Croatia because those locations are all within a 3 hour flight (at most) of one another, they're within a time zone or two so the base production can view dailies instantly from the other location etc.

Shooting between New Zealand and Scotland is considerably more impractical: it takes the better part of two days, if not three, to get from one location to the other (as in, from shooting in one location to being ready to shoot in the other), and there isn't the ease of instant communication between the two (unless you're putting staff on 24 hour shifts) because of the enormous time difference.

It could be a sequential shoot - they filming in New Zealand for time period 1 and Scotland for time period 2 - which is more normal for films, but that would involve moving your entire production base to the far side of the planet.

Yes, the money Amazon is chucking at this is enormous so it's possible, but it seems like needless expenditure, especially because there's arguably no locations unique to Scotland that you couldn't exceed in appearance or scale from New Zealand (the reverse, not so much).

Scotland and New Zealand are antipodal to each other, so the separate reports (both of which appear to be definitive from their local ends) are not congruent (i.e. it wouldn't be practicable to film in both) I don't think, unless @Corvinus is right that they may be shooting sequentially with one location used predominantly for studio space & the other for outdoors.

3 hours ago, Werthead said:

there's arguably no locations unique to Scotland that you couldn't exceed in appearance or scale from New Zealand (the reverse, not so much).

To be honest, I think they both look quite distinctive - it really just depends what 'look' your after. 

52 minutes ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Apparently it took a phone call between our PM and Bezos:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=12245671

I was actually hoping for Scotland. Tolkien adaptations need to get out from under Peter Jackson's shadow.

So New Zealand has been sold off to Amazon. Good to know. And Brexit screws Scotland yet again.

15 hours ago, Corvinus said:

So New Zealand has been sold off to Amazon. Good to know. And Brexit screws Scotland yet again.

Selling off this country has been a Thing for 35 years now. I'm consoling myself that at least this PM probably felt guilty about having to kowtow to Amazon, and at least it was a confirmation that "terrorist attacks are rare" rather than haggling over subsidies. Maybe.

7 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Was it ever confirmed what material they have the rights to?

They haven't gone through it in detail, but by definition they must have the rights to Unfinished Tales (for the Numenor map, if nothing else) and at least partial rights to The Silmarillion (possibly just the Akallabeth by itself).

On 7/2/2019 at 3:37 PM, Corvinus said:

Nothing in the article about Brexit. As HBO are happily filming in NI and Netflix have just announced a 10 year investment at Shepperton, I don't think Bogey Brexit has much to do with this. More, as others have said, NZ has been rattling the sweetie jar more than Scotland. Personally, I would love Wales to feature in some of this.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

My initial thought here was 'ugh the Jurassic World guy?!' but turns out he did some Penny Dreadful episodes so he can't be all bad. I thought Impossible, Orphanage and Monster Calls were all.. ok, he at least has a bit of visual flair. Doesn't fill me with confidence though.

18 minutes ago, Blue Roses said:

Nothing in the article about Brexit. As HBO are happily filming in NI and Netflix have just announced a 10 year investment at Shepperton, I don't think Bogey Brexit has much to do with this. More, as others have said, NZ has been rattling the sweetie jar more than Scotland. Personally, I would love Wales to feature in some of this.

The article says "tumultuous brexit hindered Scotland's pitch". Could be conjecture on the part of the "insider"/or reporter but it simply isn't true that it isn't mentioned as playing a part.

6 hours ago, Heartofice said:

My initial thought here was 'ugh the Jurassic World guy?!' but turns out he did some Penny Dreadful episodes so he can't be all bad.

Yeah I was pretty satisfied with the pedigrees of the new people.  Penny Dreadful and the Gilligan-verse on your CVs?  Count me in.  Seems they're surrounding the rather inexperienced showrunners they originally hired with far more experienced hands.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Yeah I was pretty satisfied with the pedigrees of the new people.  Penny Dreadful and the Gilligan-verse on your CVs?  Count me in.  Seems they're surrounding the rather inexperienced showrunners they originally hired with far more experienced hands.

After Chernobyl was co-created by the guy who wrote several "not another scary movies" I'm willing to give people the benefit of the doubt and that they blew execs away with their pitch. Unless it's scott buck.

Oh sure I don't have anything wrong with giving guys a chance.  Just hopefully this means Amazon is surrounding them with people that give them the best chance to succeed.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like we got a first casting news, though it's vague. https://deadline.com/2019/07/the-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-tv-series-markella-kavenagh-cast-series-regular-cast-member-1202650680/

Young Australian actress Markella Kavenagh has been cast as a series regular on Amazon Studios’ high-profile The Lord of the Rings TV series, sources confirm to Deadline.

Doesn't say in which role she was cast.

Apparently she's playing "Tyra", but that's a codename. I suspect it's really Tar-Telperien, Queen of Numenor at the time the Rings were forged. Or Tar-Ancalime if they're doing Aldarion and Erendis first (if not Erendis herself, although I think she was supposed to be older).

She could just be a completely new character, of course.

Archived