Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Marquis de Leech

LOTR prequel TV series 2.0

Recommended Posts

Will bring the links along in due course but couple of developments;

Poulter is apparently dropping out due to scheduling conflicts. https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a30214118/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-will-poulter-exit/

 

Another role has been filled, this one by Ema Hovarth: https://deadline.com/2019/12/ema-horvath-cast-the-lord-of-the-rings-amazon-series-1202806025/

Edited by HelenaExMachina

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Will bring the links along in due course but couple of developments;

Poulter is apparently dropping out due to scheduling conflicts. https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/ustv/a30214118/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-will-poulter-exit/

That's a shame.  I thought he'd be great in it, whether it's Elrond or not.  But how the hell do you let scheduling conflicts bar you from what's probably the most expensive series ever?  Unless he thinks the script sucks and this is an excuse to get out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/lord-of-the-rings-series-galadriel-morfydd-clark-1203446284/

Quote

 

“His Dark Materials” star Morfydd Clark has landed a lead role in Amazon’s upcoming “Lord of the Rings” series.

She joins a cast that includes Markella Kavenagh, Joseph Mawle and Maxim Baldry. Sources say Clark will play young Galadriel, the character famously portrayed by Cate Blanchett in Peter Jackson’s “Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” films. This would mark one of the first major characters from the book or film announced for the show.

Amazon declined to comment. Reps for Mawle did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment.

 

 

Edited by Krishtotter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

She played the nurse in HDM whose daemon had been cut as a child: "This is the best place there could possibly be". 

 

Edited by Krishtotter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Slurktan said:

love that Galadriel is considered "young" when shes like 5000 years old

Hey, she was only in her "young" 2000s - 5000s compared to her 8000s in LotR :lmao:

Honestly, I agree the "young" stuff is really pushing things and I'm not entirely sure where they're coming from.

Elrond was conceivably young by Elvish standards as he was only in his "50s" at the begining of the Second Age....but an already thousands of years old Galadriel is, umm, taking creative liberties shall we say.

Edited by Krishtotter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 6:24 AM, SpaceChampion said:

That's a shame.  I thought he'd be great in it, whether it's Elrond or not.  But how the hell do you let scheduling conflicts bar you from what's probably the most expensive series ever?  Unless he thinks the script sucks and this is an excuse to get out.

Movie offer with more money? Judt because the show is expensive doesn't mean the actors will be paid record amounts, the cost of the license and production may mean the actors are being paid less than usual with the promise of increased exposure. 

Contractually he might have another commitment which due to LOTR filming later/earlier than initially stated he can't get out of?

But i can see actors getting cold feet over a project that might eat up a lot of their time and stop them pursuing other projects

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though it was just a wishful thinking, I am very sorry not to see Blanchett and/or Weaving in Amazon's "Lord of the Rings" Given the fact that Blanchett played the character 6 years ago and has done amazing work, the fact that "The Irishman" practically showed us that age in Hollywood has becoming less and less of a problem, I would have liked that they have chosen Blanchett.

And that has nothing to do with my undying love for her. And just so we are clear, I adore Blanchett :D Some of you may have already been aware of that.

But, Blanchett owned Galadriel like so few in LOTR cast did (late sir Christopher Lee and sir Ian Mckellen come to mind). Blanchett is one of the rare actresses that can achieve that outworldly , ethereal sense with the character such as Galadriel.

In my heart, there will be only one Galadriel. I love her and despair :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Risto said:

Even though it was just a wishful thinking, I am very sorry not to see Blanchett and/or Weaving in Amazon's "Lord of the Rings" Given the fact that Blanchett played the character 6 years ago and has done amazing work, the fact that "The Irishman" practically showed us that age in Hollywood has becoming less and less of a problem, I would have liked that they have chosen Blanchett.

And that has nothing to do with my undying love for her. And just so we are clear, I adore Blanchett :D Some of you may have already been aware of that.

But, Blanchett owned Galadriel like so few in LOTR cast did (late sir Christopher Lee and sir Ian Mckellen come to mind). Blanchett is one of the rare actresses that can achieve that outworldly , ethereal sense with the character such as Galadriel.

In my heart, there will be only one Galadriel. I love her and despair :D 

Huh? Is this a common sentiment? I mean im pretty negative on the films but thought most if not all the cast were spot on. It was the writing and changes that bothered me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Huh? Is this a common sentiment? I mean im pretty negative on the films but thought most if not all the cast were spot on. It was the writing and changes that bothered me

It is mine. :D The cast did amazing job, no doubt in that. But you can switch some actors with others and you can get if not the same, but very close results. I don't see that as a possibility for Blanchett's Galadriel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

He was "young" Ned Stark in the GoT Tower of Joy flashbacks in season 6. He'll be replacing Poulter as one of the leads, "Beldor", according to the report. As ever, Amazon and Aramayo’s reps would not confirm or comment on the reporting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Krishtotter said:

 

He was "young" Ned Stark in the GoT Tower of Joy flashbacks in season 6. He'll be replacing Poulter as one of the leads, "Beldor", according to the report. As ever, Amazon and Aramayo’s reps would not confirm or comment on the reporting.

Just saw the news, too. Less experienced, afaik, than Poulter, but we still have no real clue what his role will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really should be able to muster some excitement for this, huge piles of money, great source material, Amazon knowing they have to knock it out of the park to avoid a huge financial loss.  I'll watch it, and I hope its good, but I have no real expectations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

I really should be able to muster some excitement for this, huge piles of money, great source material, Amazon knowing they have to knock it out of the park to avoid a huge financial loss.  I'll watch it, and I hope its good, but I have no real expectations.

I think anticipation will build once the real marketing and trailers kick in. At the Moment it's more hardcore fans following every little bit of info which while it can sustain those who are really into the project/source material, can eventually have a negative impact on the more casual observer. I don't know much about the source material but was intrigued by the announcement and map speculation but it feels like this show has been in the making for several years without much progress so my excitement has waned. But I'm sure it can be stoked again with some good trailers closer to the actual release.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 1:59 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Huh? Is this a common sentiment? I mean im pretty negative on the films but thought most if not all the cast were spot on. It was the writing and changes that bothered me

I thought it was almost perfect casting.  LotR is my favorite book and I will never picture Gandalf without seeing McKellen riding in that cart at the beginning again.  Everyone was great...except Hugo Weaving didn't work for me as Elrond at all and Orlando Bloom is terrible.  Everyone else exceeded my expectations.

I hope this show is good.  Risto won't like this but I think it's better they go clean slate casting wise.  No Blanchett unfortunately and certainly no Weaving. 

I think they mean 'young' Galadriel as 'previous to LotR' Galadriel.  I mean clearly they do.  I think they aren't sure how to describe things to people who aren't fantasy nerds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I've been very neutral toward this project from its inception.  While I enjoy the LOTR films there I have significant problems with them (particularly RoTK).  I've been able to divorce the images from the film from the story as I read it.  They are two completely different things in my mind.  

The lack of large quantities of good narrative material from Tolkien regarding the Second Age means that there is much more creative freedom for the creators of this series.  As such, I seriously doubt that the Middle-Earth that Tolkien has created in his works is what we will see when and if this series is actually broadcast.  

Edited by Ser Scot A Ellison

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, red snow said:

I think anticipation will build once the real marketing and trailers kick in.

Indeed, they've been keeping a very low profile.

Unlike WoT, which will be new to most folks outside the fantasy genre, they don't actually have to build any excitement or anticipation around the LotR brand, because its already a household name that everyone knows as a result of the books and films. For that reason, I wouldn't expect much fanfare about this project until much nearer the time. 

When a LotR show drops on Amazon Prime under the name "LotR", many fans of the books/films will pay it attention and at least give it an initial watch out of intrigue. So Amazon aren't going to be plugging it the same way they are going to be with their entirely new property, WoT (and indeed, as Netflix did with the Witcher build-up). 

I have no expectations of it myself, as we've seen absolutely nothing official yet as to what direction they are going for in terms of plot, visuals, tone/thematic quality or anything else for that matter. Even the casting announcements haven't been confirmed by Amazon, so its impossible for me to prognosticate or comment positively or negatively at this moment in time. 

Edited by Krishtotter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The lack of large quantities of good narrative material from Tolkien regarding the Second Age means that there is much more creative freedom for the creators of this series. 

We also still have no clue what source material the licensed rights cover (I mean, we know nothing, pretty much, about this project - not even that) over and above LotR/Appendices. 

Given that the maps evidently relied upon the description of Númenor in Unfinished Tales (and Shippey subsequently confirmed that he and Howe did in fact use it as a source), we can legitimately surmise that material from this volume, at least, must have been part of the deal, which was concluded in May 2018 (despite being announced in November 2017). According to Variety in November 2017, the original deal did not include The Silmarillion but since the rights situation was only concluded in May 2018, that may only have been for that period in time, it might have changed in the subsequent months of negotiation between Amazon and the Tolkien Estate. 

There was a recent video uploaded to youtube by a composer, Ralston, who was one of the applicants to come up with the score for the Amazon series. He was rejected last year but posted his orchestral pieces online and one of them was called The Song of Firiel and used Tolkien's original Quenya lyrics from the Númenórean chapters in The Lost Road, one of Christopher Tolkien's compilations and commentaries upon his father's unpublished work in the HoME series. 

I have no idea if it means that the deal also covered this, and by implication all relevant Second Age material, or if Ralston did this on his own account (I think that unlikely though, given that it was an actual application & I imagine he must have acted within rights, but who knows). 

Edited by Krishtotter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...