New HBO trailer

Flightless bird

Was anyone else disappointed in the new HBO trailer released at the weekend.. 

This promised Full trailer seems to be taking its time getting released. All we seen was Unsullied, Drogon and Ayra.. then they pan us off with old footage at the end of the wall falling down.. Everyone else seems to be excited about this fleeting glimpse of season 8, but i cant help but be disappointed they still havent released the full trailer for us to watch.

Hard to call it a trailer I think it was more of a tease.  I kinda like them showing Jon and Dany make it to Winterfell and then the wall going down because I felt like the white walkers should have made it to wintetfell first (or at least before the unsullied) based on the end of season 7.   But the timeline jumps around a bit in the books so the time travel on the show isn't that far from the GrrM tree.  

I'm so excited for this next season ill take whatever we can get to make this home stretch. 

The 'proper' official trailer dropped today. Except for the two surviving dire wolves, they are all there, including that so ubiquitous goblet of wine in Cersei's hand that it's a character in its own right now, in the trailer.  

What was meant by the latter, is that Tyrion was always going for the wine, but it didn't define him; it wasn't his signifier as to.his identity.  Now Cersei's defined by it, and that's not good character building - development.

28 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The 'proper' official trailer dropped today. Except for the two surviving dire wolves, they are all there, including that so ubiquitous goblet of wine in Cersei's hand that it's a character in its own right now, in the trailer.  

What was meant by the latter, is that Tyrion was always going for the wine, but it didn't define him; it wasn't his signifier as to.his identity.  Now Cersei's defined by it, and that's not good character building - development.

Cersei's facial expression is similar to that in "Blackwater" when she thought Stannis had won...

2 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

I've seen through their tricks before, some of you have too:

Nothing actually happens in this trailer.  It's just a bunch of reaction shots from the now-celebrity actors, "showing off These Performances and These Faces". 

We do see the dragons arriving at Winterfell, but really the only big thing we didn't see already was the Golden Company on a Greyjoy ship.

Lena Headey is repeatedly called upon to display her "Kuleshov Effect" face.  They're intentionally giving actors scenes with no dialogue and saying "make a Concerned Face" and the audience reads all sorts of emotions into it.  Since Season 5 particularly, it's...sort of a "sad, concerned" face, not so much angry...even as she's doing terrible things.  This "soft sad" face.  Really it's just showing off that Lena Headey is capable of mugging that face on command.

Yes, the production values are high, yes, the music was swelling.  It was a well edited trailer.  But what if anything did we see new from a story perspective?  Remember how good Season 5 looked in its trailers?

I look forward to Season 8 because everyone still praising Benioff & Weiss will be shattered with disillusionment - just as they were in Season 7.

I'm seeing so many op/eds lately saying...I mean adamantly believing, "the final season will be great because it HAS to be great"....that's...cult-level Denial.  Ever hear of the Sunk Cost Fallacy?

Many of us feel that it's the only ending to the saga we'll ever get, so will probably suspend critical faculties for that reason alone. 

Do you think Arya was running from someone in the trailer? If so, who? the Mountain?

I've been wondering whether Arya will go to King's Landing to assassinate Cersei or stay in the North to fight the Night King. Thoughts?

8 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

So...Denial?

but it isn’t a real ending, just fanfic

I would say it's more than fanfic since they have direct access to GRRM and they most likely planned the ending with GRRM.

33 minutes ago, ktm5124 said:

Do you think Arya was running from someone in the trailer? If so, who? the Mountain?

I've been wondering whether Arya will go to King's Landing to assassinate Cersei or stay in the North to fight the Night King. Thoughts?

AltShiftX noted a scene with Arya's hand holding a bow with what looks like the braziers in the KL throne room in the background. I thought that Arya was running through the Winterfell crypts because that's where she is now, but it may be KL where she's running. 

It looks like about all of the shots are from very early in the season and don't give much away, so if it is Arya in KL, either she goes to KL before the WWs arrive or these scenes are unusual in that they're from later in the season. 

So it's official then that Danaerys used Ghost to make that coat of hers? Of course she only did it to take a load off the CGI budget so it can all go to her dragons.

And Kit is still the master of brood...and nothing else.

And the show is still the master of reaction shots...and the lack of story in the trailer perfectly reflects the show.

Only interesting part was Arya's at the beginning.

1 hour ago, Mystical said:

So it's official then that Danaerys used Ghost to make that coat of hers? Of course she only did it to take a load off the CGI budget so it can all go to her dragons.

And Kit is still the master of brood...and nothing else.

And the show is still the master of reaction shots...and the lack of story in the trailer perfectly reflects the show.

Only interesting part was Arya's at the beginning.

Good job you don't have to watch it when it comes out!

On 3/5/2019 at 7:50 PM, Lollygag said:

AltShiftX noted a scene with Arya's hand holding a bow with what looks like the braziers in the KL throne room in the background. I thought that Arya was running through the Winterfell crypts because that's where she is now, but it may be KL where she's running. 

It looks like about all of the shots are from very early in the season and don't give much away, so if it is Arya in KL, either she goes to KL before the WWs arrive or these scenes are unusual in that they're from later in the season. 

Arya is in Winterfell. She is actually in the same hallway we saw Littlefinger in last season. She is running to the Great Hall. 

0wni99r9ckk21.jpg

So for the trailer, do we know who is leading the golden company on the Greyjoy boats. We just see the back of their head, golden hair? 

Edit: I assume the normal answer would be Harry Strickland. And I know the show has changed how some characters look in the past. But just quickly judging from the back, he looks very different than he does in the books... Hence why I ask.

Archived