U.S. politics. thread

Varysblackfyre321

Hickenlooper will be the most moderate candidate of the bunch (unless Bloomberg runs, which he looks like not).  I feel like there's isn't a ton he can point to to really stand out of the crowd.  Some people suggested he run as the "pot candidate", which isn't a crazy place to start, but somehow I doubt that marijuana legalization is going to be the go-to issue in the Democratic primary.  Plenty of other candidates support it, and most voters have bigger problems to decide their vote than that. 

46 minutes ago, Mexal said:

I highly doubt he'd lie again to Congress knowingly about Trump/Russia conspiracy. I think he has a lot to offer SDNY though.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be about the Twitler-Putin pact. His time as fixer has probably given him some juicy stuff.

Trump may well resign should Kushner or Trump Junior be indicted - especially with massive, uncontrollable negative publicity and a congress partially intent on digging up still more dirt. 

I also wonder more and more about Trumps health.  He's practically the poster child for a fatal heart attack, ticking off all the wrong boxes. 

3 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Trump may well resign should Kushner or Trump Junior be indicted - especially with massive, uncontrollable negative publicity and a congress partially intent on digging up still more dirt.

Why would that make him resign?  That would make him far less able to protect them, and potentially put his own head in a noose as well.  If it's a federal charge, he'll just yell witch hunt and pardon them.  If they're indicted for state crimes he'll yell witch hunt, pardon them and go to court that this is double jeopardy (he'll probably lose, but that'll take years). 

Matter of perspective wrt to the wrong boxes. Personally, I hope he suffers a stroke, and not a heart attack.

But then again, a teeny tiny part of me also hopes a defense liner concussions the shit out of Tom Brady, so next time he is on the news wearing his MAGA hat while talking to a statue in a park in San Francisco.

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Matter of perspective wrt to the wrong boxes. Personally, I hope he suffers a stroke, and not a heart attack.

But then again, a teeny tiny part of me also hopes a defense liner concussions the shit out of Tom Brady, so next time he is on the news wearing his MAGA hat while talking to a statue in a park in San Francisco.

Gross.  Can we not talk about what horrible maladies we're hoping befall people we dislike? 

Yeah, the notion that trump would resign in the face of crimes is only plausible if he got a deal similar to Agnew- resign, and your prosecution is largely mitigated.

Otherwise every day he is in office is one less day he is in jail. We are at the very real point where the POTUS has massive incentive to commit more crimes to stay in office in order to avoid prosecution for other crimes.

16 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Why would that make him resign?  That would make him far less able to protect them, and potentially put his own head in a noose as well.  If it's a federal charge, he'll just yell witch hunt and pardon them.  If they're indicted for state crimes he'll yell witch hunt, pardon them and go to court that this is double jeopardy (he'll probably lose, but that'll take years). 

The SDNY could potentially inform Trump of the charges he'll be facing once he's out of office and make a deal with him where he resigns instead. That's basically what happened with Eric Greitens last year when he resigned as Missouri governor and the indictments all went away (although the difference is he was indicted by someone he had no power over). It'd need to be really bad charges though, with no avenue for Trump to make it disappear; probably would have to be NY state charges actually.

28 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

If they're indicted for state crimes he'll yell witch hunt, pardon them and go to court that this is double jeopardy (he'll probably lose, but that'll take years). 

How's he gonna pardon them for state crimes?  Anyway, I guess it's time for our weekly wild speculation about the Mueller investigation.  As I've said many times before, I think Mueller going after DJTJ or Kushner (or *gasp* Ivanka) is the real wild card.  Does that mean Trump will resign?  LOL, but his reaction to such charges may make impeachment much more likely.

29 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Because negative publicity.  Trump literally ranks Fox reporters on their loyalty to HIM (eventually somebody here will post the relevant link).  Trump really, really wants to be liked and cannot tolerate any sort of criticism.  Trump gets enough bad press over this, then the quit  option to escape such becomes more palatable. 

27 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Gross.  Can we not talk about what horrible maladies we're hoping befall people we dislike? 

It's not 'hoping.'  It's 'realism.'  We have a president who appears to be at extreme medical risk and refuses measures to alleviate that risk.  To NOT take into account the real possibility of that president succumbing to that risk while in office is extremely foolish. 

That said, I do not deem Trump having a stroke or heart attack likely, merely a significant possibility.

12 minutes ago, ThinkerX said:

Because negative publicity.  Trump literally ranks Fox reporters on their loyalty to HIM (eventually somebody here will post the relevant link).  Trump really, really wants to be liked and cannot tolerate any sort of criticism.  Trump gets enough bad press over this, then the quit  option to escape such becomes more palatable. 

You think Fox News is going to turn on Trump because of a pardon for Junior?  That's very optimistic. 

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Yeah, the notion that trump would resign in the face of crimes is only plausible if he got a deal similar to Agnew- resign, and your prosecution is largely mitigated.

Otherwise every day he is in office is one less day he is in jail. We are at the very real point where the POTUS has massive incentive to commit more crimes to stay in office in order to avoid prosecution for other crimes.

I think starting a war would be the more traditional out.

54 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Trump won't resign.  Voters have not abandoned him (quite the contrary!).  Honestly, I think there is a really decent probability that there will be 4 more years of Trump.

Well, it's decent in the sense that incumbent Presidents usually win reelection; but it's still so far out that there's not really a good forecasting system to use yet (Also, our sample size is so small that even saying incumbent Presidents usually win doesn't really mean that much). Presidential approval ratings can change a lot over 19 months. Trump's haven't yet, but if there's a big recession (or, contrary to that, some sort of economic miracle) they almost certainly will.

I don't think anyone serious is arguing that Trump will simply not run for reelection or resign from boredom/stress/whatever. It's more about whether there's a chance a prosecutor could incentivize him enough to leave, or if there could be anything blatant enough to cause impeachment and conviction.

21 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

A bit late to the table with that one.

Huh? I am talking about the newer comments which have prompted House leadership to call for a vote on a resolution condeming anti-semitism and possibly rebuking Omar by name, not the Benjamins comment from a few weeks back.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/04/omar-israel-house-democrats-1201881

If the economy tanks it will be because of the traitorous dems - don't forget they hold the house now, so clearly Trump isn't to blame and if the Dems would just give him the money to build the wall then the economy would be booming and America would be great again, so get out there and show some reporters what real Americans think before they collude with the Dems to steal the election.

I can't even come close to matching his unhinged style but the point is even the economy tanking can be rationalised away for the faithful

Archived