Prosperity without good intentions?

Rose of Red Lake

1 hour ago, Legitimate_Bastard said:

Robert? Maybe. I don't think he intended to rule well - but the realm was pretty peaceful during his reign.

IDK. Hard one.

I think he actually did... in his own way, as long as it didn’t demand or require anything from him, basically. And in a way, he did... b/c it was Jon Arryn and, to a lesser degree, the SC, who ruled. 

To the OP, well... what do we consider a “good” ruler? What’s acceptable and what isn’t? It’s going to be different things for different people, as you’d expect. 

For instance, I imagine some will say Tywin... something I will never e ver be able to agree with. To each their own. But the question remains, what is acceptable and what isn’t? The good of the one v the good of the many. And all that jazz. 

2 hours ago, Rose of Red Lake said:

What are some examples of ruling well without good intentions in the story? And how does this square with the author's version of an ideal king/queen: his/her job is the land, the people of the land, to make them prosperous, to protect them, to defend them, to provide them with justice?

What author meant was good intentions are not enough.  Being a good person with a good heart and the right ideas are not enough.  Case in point are the Baratheons and their dogs.  Robert and Ned thought they could improve justice but they failed.  Robert sent an assassin after an innocent girl.  Stannis regularly burns people to death.  If the realm had a misery index to measure the state of Westeros, it surely went bad during the Baratheon reign.  

Good intentions should be the motivation to rule.  That is where it starts.  But it is not enough by itself.  It takes a team effort to manage a country.  Aerys was a bad man but he just happened to have a knack for putting the right people in his small council and KG.  Robert was a more moral man but his administration was too political.  Politics put the wrong people on the council and the KG.  That was mostly the fault of Jon Arryn but the buck stops with Robert.

Archived