Netflix's The OA: Part II

AncalagonTheBlack

18 hours ago, Triskele said:

Finished and WTF...need to read up some because it was a lot of fun, but I'm not really sure what to make of that ending.

My favorite moment of the whole show was the end of season five where HAP's lover busts out the five little boxes and they open up into little robots that do the movements perfectly, and with consequence.

That was Soo cool. That is when I realized that this story is really going to go into unexplored territory. 

Well, I thought that was some pretty compelling television. Quite an intense last 10-15 minutes. Honestly, why can't all TV be this good.

Absolutely loved that bit where everything became a small model for Karim - his home, right down to the envelope he's addressed to Mo which was lying on the table. It was kind of shocking and hilarious all at once. 

I have to admit I was really skeptical about watching S2. Like some others I thought S1 ended a little, sappy, strange, wtf?, for me. So when I heard S2 was coming out I was luke warm to it. Man my expectations were shattered. This was much better than S1, which was good but different. 

We're 6 episodes in and we're already planning on a complete rewatch because it's so damn captivating.  I really love this show and will be trying some of the other weird movies Brit Marling has been a part of because of it.

18 hours ago, aceluby said:

We're 6 episodes in and we're already planning on a complete rewatch because it's so damn captivating.  I really love this show and will be trying some of the other weird movies Brit Marling has been a part of because of it.

I will always vividly remember going to watch The Sound of My Voice at the cinema on a hot summer afternoon. 

So having given up on the show 15 minutes into the first ever episode last year, I have since become truly addicted to it and it might now be my favourite show of the year so far. 

It is a far from perfect show, but what I admire about it is that it attempts to deal with high minded ideas as well as telling a number of very human stories. There are so many characters in the show that I loved, and I knew that I'd like it when Steve was introduced and he was a total dick, but he also wasn't a baddie. 

Season one felt a lot smaller compared to season 2, and its hard to say for me which one I preferred more.

I'll go into spoilers now in case anyone hasn't finished:

Spoiler

Things I liked:

• I felt a real closeness to almost all of the characters, especially those like BBA and Steve, the really troubled ones who have something missing in their lives and are just looking for some meaning and redemption. I wanted to give them all a big hug and not many shows do a good job of that.
  • So many great performances, Brit (OA) did a really great job and I really noticed how she transformed into Nina in S2. That showed really acting skills. I'm surprised I hadn't seen her much before, even if her name was familiar. ( I think I started watching that Earth movie she did once)
  • I like the show best when it was being ambiguous and tried to deal with really high end concepts around dimensions and death, but in a new and different, unexpected way. The dance moves look stupid and can be annoying, but I appreciate that they had the bravery to actually do that

Things I didn't like so much

• There are times when the show treads a fine line into stupidity and hokey fantasy, and its a very fine line between that and brilliance. I forgive it mostly, but when you see an old lady witch in a room full of stars, or talk of angels and dance moves, it does take a lot to just accept it and not roll your eyes. 

S2 ep 4 was a big moment where I thought the show had completely lost it, and I almost stopped watching. The talking tree, the zombie people and the squid... It was all completely ridiculous and seemed to exist in a much cheaper, stupider tv show. Having finished the season now my thoughts have changed a little. The Gas explanation sort of lets me accept those events a bit better (obviously not the squid) but I felt it could have been executed in a less trashy way. 

Also the end of the season reveal where everything is a film set, allows me to view those events differently. S2s dimension seemed to exist in a sort of 1980s cop movie, it felt often unrealistic and a little silly: PI lives on houseboat, has troubled life, is called to find missing teen.. it was all a bit like something in a movie, quite unlike S1. But maybe that was on purpose. Its something I need to think about more.

Finished it yesterday and the end did not disappoint.  At this point I'm very curious about the overall story they are trying to tell and whether there actually is a destination at the end of all of this.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah ill definitely keep watching, but that is the real question, are they going somewhere with this?

Anyway, for now i think one just have to roll with the more out there stuff and see if they make sense later on.

5 hours ago, Mikael said:

Yeah ill definitely keep watching, but that is the real question, are they going somewhere with this?

Anyway, for now i think one just have to roll with the more out there stuff and see if they make sense later on.

If the show does a 'one season per dimension' format where you get the sense that its not really moving forward narratively then I would be out, but I get the sense it is going somewhere, they do seem to have a sort of rough idea about what the show is about and where it is heading. 

I'm enjoying the craziness to be honest, it needs to be celebrated.

I imagine they’ve probably got a clear idea where they are going. Lots of the show seems utterly bonkers/out there, but in a somewhat organised way as if its one part of a larger story. It doesnt seem to be done off the cuff

Rewatching the first season after the 2nd makes me think that they know where this is going and what they are doing.  There are a TON of things that are in S1 that don't get explained until S2.

12 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Rewatching the first season after the 2nd makes me think that they know where this is going and what they are doing.  There are a TON of things that are in S1 that don't get explained until S2.

I was waiting for Homer to show up and eat the fish, shame that didn’t happen. That’s if I understood it right, that their NDA’s were out of sync with the timeline they jumped to. OA said that it was Homer crawling around in the ceiling.

10 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

I was waiting for Homer to show up and eat the fish, shame that didn’t happen. That’s if I understood it right, that their NDA’s were out of sync with the timeline they jumped to. OA said that it was Homer crawling around in the ceiling.

Also there was a guy running around the hospital at one point, which was surely Homer even if we never saw him. That made me think there must be two Homers there at once?

I just can't get past the group dance/movements/gyrations/whateverthefuckthey'redoing... I think that the premise of the show is solid... and there are times when I'm all-in.... but it seems like someone was watching a group of people get stung by bees and thought that it would be a good idea for a TV show.... It's almost like they're all simultaneously bursting an aneurysm 

Finished Season 2 yesterday.

On 3/23/2019 at 11:12 AM, Martini Sigil said:

My wife and I watched season 1... and after enduring 10? tedious episodes we burst out laughing when those kids started gyrating and performing those quasi-seizure Napoleon Dynamite dance moves in the finale.... the shooter's reaction reminded me of Ronan the Accuser... "What are you doing?"....

Normally I can see how and why something in pop culture gains traction... but the pay-off on this show--for me-- was absurd.... 

This way my reaction at the end of S1, however S2 just threw so many things at me the movements thing was easy for me to get past by that point.

Plus, I love just about everybody in the cast.

From the beginning of S2 when they showed Ruskin from only behind or in the shadows, but you do see he has a full beard though, and before we meet Dr. Roberts I think we're supposed to assume Ruskin is Homer. Then we do meet Dr. Roberts and he has a beard now too. Then some episodes later, we finally see Ruskin. I'd been wondering why and how there are two Homers in this dimension, even half way through the scene with Hap and Ruskin at the pool, and then it hits me, that's not the same actor, it's Vincent Kartheiser! Pete, from Mad Men, a show I loved and watched every episode!

I guess maybe they wanted Homer and Pierre to look very similar, even talk with much of the same inflections, to explain that the reason Nina fell in love with him was because he was so similar looking to Homer and her "echo" pushed her towards him because of that? Or could there be even more reason the two are so similar in appearance?

Then the final minutes of S2...

Whoa!

I hope there's a S3, looking forward to exploring this idea more.

Funnily enough, I was reminded of other works that touched on this idea, strange enough were the movie Sausage Party and a late in the series episode of the sitcom Growing Pains.

On 4/26/2019 at 3:01 AM, Heartofice said:

Also there was a guy running around the hospital at one point, which was surely Homer even if we never saw him. That made me think there must be two Homers there at once?

I just rewatched that episode and have to think that's the case.  NDE must be different than actual travel

• 3 months later...

Archived