Predict her future: Penny

The Commentator

I think, her character has two purposes - 1. to accompany Tyrion on his way to Meereen, and 2. to make Dany aware of the origin of her dragons (Elissa Farman stole three dragon eggs from Targaryens - sold them to the Sealord of Braavos - more than 200 years after that, the nextnextnext Sealord of Braavos gave those three dragon eggs as reward to Penny, Oppo, and Hop Bean - then somehow those eggs became owned by Illyrio - and Illyrio gave them to Dany, as her wedding gift). So if Penny will see all three of Dany's dragons, then she will realise (based on their coloring, being similar to coloring of three dragon eggs, that used to belong to Penny's family), that Dany's dragons had hatched from the same eggs, that were given to Penny by the Sealord of Braavos. And Dany already knows, that the Sealord of Braavos had attempted to mary Viserys to Arianne Martell. So it's likely, that she will want to go to Braavos, to meet this guy, and question him. After that, there's no reason to keep Penny alive. Though there's no reason to kill her. So could be, that she will just fade into the background, and will be left behind, like Hot Pie.

1 hour ago, Megorova said:

I think, her character has two purposes - 1. to accompany Tyrion on his way to Meereen, and 2. to make Dany aware of the origin of her dragons (Elissa Farman stole three dragon eggs from Targaryens - sold them to the Sealord of Braavos - more than 200 years after that, the nextnextnext Sealord of Braavos gave those three dragon eggs as reward to Penny, Oppo, and Hop Bean - then somehow those eggs became owned by Illyrio - and Illyrio gave them to Dany, as her wedding gift). So if Penny will see all three of Dany's dragons, then she will realise (based on their coloring, being similar to coloring of three dragon eggs, that used to belong to Penny's family), that Dany's dragons had hatched from the same eggs, that were given to Penny by the Sealord of Braavos. And Dany already knows, that the Sealord of Braavos had attempted to mary Viserys to Arianne Martell. So it's likely, that she will want to go to Braavos, to meet this guy, and question him. After that, there's no reason to keep Penny alive. Though there's no reason to kill her. So could be, that she will just fade into the background, and will be left behind, like Hot Pie.

I second that.

Penny is not destined to be Tyrion's + 1.  She's the lifeline to redemption but Tyrion will follow his heart and burn that rope.  He can't get Tysha and Jaime out of his mind.  They will pick and fight on different sides.  One of them will die.  Perhaps Penny's role is to mourn Tyrion's death.  Somebody has to.

Penny is to Tyrion as Ygritte was to Jon. She has been educating him about the side of life he has not experienced (in the manner of, "You know nothing, Jon Snow!") and I suspect she will die when Tyrion's education moves onto the next level.

She is connected to Littlefinger, though. I believe he got his hands on her dragon eggs.

10 hours ago, Megorova said:

the nextnextnext Sealord of Braavos gave those three dragon eggs as reward to Penny, Oppo, and Hop Bean - then somehow those eggs became owned by Illyrio -

could be, that she will just fade into the background, and will be left behind, like Hot Pie.

First, Hot Pie will come again.

Lastly, and least in import- - - - - holy shit!    Did we bury the lead monumentally here?   Penny sat on the egg before Daenerys did??!?!     (And you know she did actually sit on that egg, it's Penny after all. But even if she behaved normally and merely spent time near the egg...)     Does that mean there's a chance the dragon could sniff Mommy when it lands near Penny?  Or rather, Remember the soul signature of the woman who held the egg safely in the proverbial nest?   And Could that give Tyrion his (sorely needed) advantage when it comes time to steal the  beast!?   Could this be the thing that keeps the dragon from roasting Tyrion?!!!!     (Yes the egg hadn't quickened when Penny had it, but who cares?  I'm willing to overlook that minor detail, aren't you?)

Otherwise, i see penny as the chance for a normal life that will almost draw Tyrion away from his dreams of vengeance.....almost.  she'll die because of war and disease born from it.  That'll reignite tyrion to double down his vengeance and fly off the handle.  Basically, she's the swing factor.  Her death paves the way for many more as Tyr rains his pain down on Westeros.

I'm hoping she's a Sansa clone for the purposes of foreshadowing.

There's a bundle of lightweight parallels: young, innocent, idealistic, vulnerable; 'Tyrion's girl'; Lannister victim; Littlefinger pawn; sleeps a lot, cries a lot, prays a lot; eager to please; orphan; has a grey dog; has a benefactor connected with Braavos(!?).

There's not much time left for foreshadowing, so in this case Penny is likely to disappear very soon.

Penny is a small light in the Imp's dark path.

She has the potential of becoming one of the two people Tyrion will ever truly love in this world (alongside Jaime) and I could see this love turning Tyrion into a better man in the future. Tyrion let his loneliness and all the hate from his family making him a selfish person, but deep down there is goodness inside his heart, and caring about Penny instead of dreaming about a whore in the other side of the world will making him realize that. 

Or Martin could kill them both because "Ha, ha! I love how he kills everyone! Revolutionary!" 

7 hours ago, Lumosaca said:

Penny is a small light in the Imp's dark path.

Right on.  She is the light in Tyrion's dark path.  But will he take her?  I am reminded of a line from an oldie song that goes "if you can't be with the one you love then love the one you're with".  Tyrion will sadly not take this advice.  This story revolves around the stupidity of the human heart and the bad decisions where it leads people.    Good posts though.  

I believe by the end, very few people will remain alive. Only those with a specific purpose in the world after the Long Night. And I don't think Penny has a great role to play. Other than making Tyrion bad some way. Another Tysha, another Shae. So I expect to see her dead someday. But who never knows.

3 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

I believe by the end, very few people will remain alive. Only those with a specific purpose in the world after the Long Night. And I don't think Penny has a great role to play. Other than making Tyrion bad some way. Another Tysha, another Shae. So I expect to see her dead someday. But who never knows.

Er, what? Penny make Tyrion bad? Please, she isn’t the mirror being held up to his privileged entitled life. He is a reprehensible person when he meets her, if anything she has marginally pulled him back from being quite so disgusting.

i also take issue saying Shae or Tysha “made” Tyrion bad. Especially Tysha

Of course there is yet no true evidence for any outcome and it is bound to be a gut feeling with two books in the making. I can think of three possibilities for Penny, all of them an improvement for her's and Tyrion's personalities rather than the dark end many of you expect.

I) Romance

Of course the lack of sexual desire can still lead into romance. Tyrion and Tysha both did not know what they were doing, because Tysha expected bad from men and Tyrion was merely trying to help when they met. They were not expecting much and surprised by their actual potential. This changed when Jaime lied to Tyrion about Tysha's innocence and when Tywin turned Tyrion into one of Tysha's oppressors. In a twisted way the original setting was restored when Jaime told the truth and when Tywin was found with Shae. Nonetheless it seemed like the beginning of a very dark path for Tyrion, with Penny as his next victim. But instead Tyrion suppresses his impulse to force himself onto women around Penny and accepts her simple care without turning it into something else. Penny toughens up around Tyrion since this is a world full of loss and battle compared to the as ifs of the theatre world she knew before. Look again at how Tyrion described his ideal love and you can see that he is getting there after a sour mix of assumptions - good or bad - concerning his first love.

II) Sister

Penny is at loss since her brother's death and maybe intends to fill the gap. Only that there were times when Tyrion would not allow himself such a sibling. In AGOT he wondered what it were like would he have a twin like Jaime has - only to be grateful for not having a look at someone like him all the time. There is a lot of self-hatred, but Penny liberates the dwarf-self Tywin oppressed and turns it into something noteworthy. Tyrion was always out for laughs rather than to frighten people the way his father deemed right. Penny gives him another option, an option more like himself. In return Tyrion might encourage a kind of love that goes beyond blood relation, if he accepts her brother's place.

III) Daughter

GRRM makes quite a point showing us affection between those two individuals and yet stresses the lack of sexual desire. Since Penny looks very much alike Tysha you have to wonder why. Many of you rule out the possibilty that the curly girl can be indeed the Penny to Tysha's silvers and gold, because Tyrion may be too young to be her natural father. But I can still see her as a twist of Tyrion's statement that all dwarfs are bastards in their fathers eyes. Since his father turned Tyrion's wife into a whore with Jaime's backing, Tyrion is free to declare any dwarf bastard as his trueborn child. At the end Penny may even be the heir of Casterly Rock.

All in all I see a bright end for our dwarf duo. Some of you compared Penny to Brienne, who is a POV character and by that open for bigger changes. I think GRRM wants us to draw that comparison, whether as contrast or as mirror we can't know at this point.

Sorry for my English, I hope I made sense.

Haus, it's great to keep hope alive for love even after all we've read of woe.   If Tyrion is meant to live at the end, we would want him to be an emotionally balanced ruler who has finally found something to live for.  Yes.   And your English is wonderful, far beyond any need for apologies!   

I may be prejudiced against Penny for giving Tyrion a reason to stay in Essos, because then he would not do the crazy things I want to see  (such as steal a dragon, menace Cercei's rooftop, fly to the Eyrie to complicate matters for his wife or save Sansa from the Petyr situation, and the sewer invasion of Casterly Rock so Tyrion is there for the final Lannister showdown we saw hints of in someone's prophetic vision (Jaime's?).    But, if Penny can survive her disease symptoms she may be able to keep Tyrion alive and sane better than that other path, I must admit.

Archived