Rank your 2019 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

Updates:

1. Kobra Kai - at least as excellent as season 1; really well written characters, and good plot twists; some of the stuff is exaggerated and unrealistic, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the show 
  2. Kingdom - so far the surprise this year; a Korean GoT, if you will, with an interesting plot, written fairly well, though silly at times. The action has good build up and tension. Not much character development, though, other than the main character.
  3. Russian Doll - the first episode nearly turned me off, but it picked up after that, with a strong mix of dark humor and close-to-the-heart messages; not really sure about the ending, a lot of ways to interpret it, which kinda makes it fun
  4. The Punisher - now cancelled; a mix of good and bad, strong on the action, but the plot has issues; the discussion in the show's thread has all the points.
  5. The Umbrella Academy - this one was a bit disappointing; given the character driven narrative, the characters really weren't likable; it took a while to really get going, too; good visuals and music.
  6. Game of Thrones - enough has been said already; really disappointed with this final season; but there was still strong quality in the visuals, cinematography, and music departments.
  7. Designated Survivor - shorter, tighter, with a bigger budget, I think, and allowance for swear words. But it was still all over the place most times, mainly because the writers wanted to give the major characters stuff to do outside the main arc. Almost not sure why it's still called Designated Survivor.
  8. Love, Death + Robots - some of the episodes were great, visually and story-wise; others were meh.
  9. Star Trek Discovery - I really hoped too much from this; some new enjoyable characters, and a few really solid episodes; pretty good on the visuals; but it's riddled with plot holes.
  10. Hanna - I found I didn't care much about the characters, though the actor performances were generally solid; I liked the filming locations, and the story was sometimes engaging, but I didn't find it riveting; even the action scenes fluctuated between good and stupid.
  11. Supergirl - as silly in its execution as usual, but the plot and villains were better this season.
  12. Project Blue Book - disappointing; a lot of cringe worthy dialogue, and the mystery portions are pretty blunt and obvious. The popular meme "I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens" really applies to this show. It's not The X Files, if anyone is wondering.
  13. Arrow - when at the end of last year, we had the prison plot, I had hopes for this; these hopes were quickly dashed by yet another round of circle jerking drama, weak villains, and stupid flashbacks forwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Chernobyl
  2. Killing Eve Season 2
  3. The Good Fight Season 3
  4. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  5. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  6. Game of Thrones Season 8
  7. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

Without any doubt, one of the best miniseries I have ever seen. It goes from breathtaking to eerie, from horrifying to maddening. It is very intelligently done, using the catastrophe to portray the sacrifices of ordinary men and the rotten system that brought the cataclysm on them all. Truly brilliant work. 

Well, there are so many entertainment choices out there, it's possible to watch just what you like and take up all your TV watching time.  So I'll list the only things I've watched:

1. Chernobyl

2. ST:DS9 (Heh)

3. What we do in the Shadows

4. Euphoria (too soon to tell, though.) 

5. (Yet to be determined. My life is extremely busy and I ain't got no time for wasting.)

I'm extremely sorry GoT was so poorly done and that I spent so much time on it with no payoff.

Top Picks

1) Chernobyl
- This was the most unexpectedly gripping show of the year for me, I was on the edge of my seat and thrown for hours after each episode. Everything about it was fantastic.

2) The OA II - Such a strange show and thats why I love it, it takes a lot of risks and doesn't always make sense, sometimes its downright silly. But it works for me.

3) Happy - What a crazy, over the top, violent, cartoonish tv show. I love it. Why did they cancel it!!

4) The Umbrella Academy - Lots of people didn't seem to like this show, but I was hooked by it. I didn't really ever know where it was going and it was quirky enough to make me want to binge it.

5) Game of Thrones - Season 7 was a disaster enough for me to consider stopping watching the show. Despite S8's many flaws, I somehow found myself really enjoying it, and it was a bit of an improvement. A bit

6) Russian Doll - A show that I hated, then loved, then forgot about as soon as the the last episode finished. The mystery keeps you going, but by the end it all feels a bit functional. Good though.

7) Killing Eve - Loved the first season, second season not so much. It was a drop in quality I felt, despite some highlights, it never seemed to hang together quite as well and the plot wasn't enough to hold my interest.

Ahead of Stranger Things 3, a few of updates:

1. Dark - powerful, enigmatic, mind-bending, with an excellent cast, and well-written characters; easily as strong as season 1, if not better.
  2. Jessica Jones - a really strong finish, for now at least; much better than season 2, and an improvement of secondary characters, while Ritter's performance is as good as ever.
  3. Kobra Kai - at least as excellent as season 1; really well written characters, and good plot twists; some of the stuff is exaggerated and unrealistic, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the show
  4. Zone Blanche - sometimes silly, but I really enjoy the characters, the mysteries and the atmosphere; it started slow, but built up really strongly; the end was almost a series finale, but I hope it's not. 
  5. Kingdom - one of this year's surprises; a Korean GoT, if you will, with an interesting plot, written fairly well, though silly at times. The action has good build up and tension. Not much character development, though, other than the main character.
  6. Russian Doll - the first episode nearly turned me off, but it picked up after that, with a strong mix of dark humor and close-to-the-heart messages; not really sure about the ending, a lot of ways to interpret it, which kinda makes it fun
  7. The Punisher - a mix of good and bad, strong on the action, but the plot has issues; the discussion in the show's thread has all the points.
  8. The Umbrella Academy - this one was a bit disappointing; given the character driven narrative, the characters really weren't likable; it took a while to really get going, too; good visuals and music.
  9. Game of Thrones - enough has been said already; really disappointed with this final season; but there was still strong quality in the visual effects, cinematography, and music departments.
  10. Designated Survivor - shorter, tighter, with a bigger budget, I think, and allowance for swear words. But it was still all over the place most times, mainly because the writers wanted to give the major characters stuff to do outside the main arc. Almost not sure why it's still called Designated Survivor.
  11. Love, Death + Robots - some of the episodes were great, visually and story-wise; others were meh.
  12. Star Trek Discovery - I really hoped too much from this; some new enjoyable characters, and a few really solid episodes; pretty good on the visuals; but it's riddled with plot holes.
  13. Hanna - I found I didn't care much about the characters, though the actor performances were generally solid; I liked the filming locations, and the story was sometimes engaging, but I didn't find it riveting; even the action scenes fluctuated between good and stupid.
  14. Supergirl - as silly in its execution as usual, but the plot and villains were better this season.
  15. Project Blue Book - disappointing; a lot of cringe worthy dialogue, and the mystery portions are pretty blunt and obvious. The popular meme "I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens" really applies to this show. It's not The X Files, if anyone is wondering.
  16. Arrow - when at the end of last year, we had the prison plot, I had hopes for this; these hopes were quickly dashed by yet another round of circle jerking drama, weak villains, and stupid flashbacks forwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Dark - powerful, enigmatic, mind-bending, with an excellent cast, and well-written characters; easily as strong as season 1, if not better.
  2. Stranger Things - some of the plot premises were more ridiculous than anything we got so far, and the 80s stereotyping reached new levels; but I loved the character chemistry between multiple groups, it had tight pacing, great acting, good visuals, and as always a great soundtrack.
  3. Jessica Jones - a really strong finish, for now at least; much better than season 2, and an improvement of secondary characters, while Ritter's performance is as good as ever.
  4. Kobra Kai - at least as excellent as season 1; really well written characters, and good plot twists; some of the stuff is exaggerated and unrealistic, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the show
  5. Zone Blanche - sometimes silly, but I really enjoy the characters, the mysteries and the atmosphere; it started slow, but built up really strongly; the end was almost a series finale, but I hope it's not. 
  6. Kingdom - one of this year's surprises; a Korean GoT, if you will, with an interesting plot, written fairly well, though silly at times. The action has good build up and tension. Not much character development, though, other than the main character.
  7. Russian Doll - the first episode nearly turned me off, but it picked up after that, with a strong mix of dark humor and close-to-the-heart messages; not really sure about the ending, a lot of ways to interpret it, which kinda makes it fun
  8. The Punisher - a mix of good and bad, strong on the action, but the plot has issues; the discussion in the show's thread has all the points.
  9. The Umbrella Academy - this one was a bit disappointing; given the character driven narrative, the characters really weren't likable; it took a while to really get going, too; good visuals and music.
  10. Game of Thrones - enough has been said already; really disappointed with this final season; but there was still strong quality in the visual effects, cinematography, and music departments.
  11. Designated Survivor - shorter, tighter, with a bigger budget, I think, and allowance for swear words. But it was still all over the place most times, mainly because the writers wanted to give the major characters stuff to do outside the main arc. Almost not sure why it's still called Designated Survivor.
  12. Love, Death + Robots - some of the episodes were great, visually and story-wise; others were meh.
  13. Star Trek Discovery - I really hoped too much from this; some new enjoyable characters, and a few really solid episodes; pretty good on the visuals; but it's riddled with plot holes.
  14. Hanna - I found I didn't care much about the characters, though the actor performances were generally solid; I liked the filming locations, and the story was sometimes engaging, but I didn't find it riveting; even the action scenes fluctuated between good and stupid.
  15. Supergirl - as silly in its execution as usual, but the plot and villains were better this season.
  16. Project Blue Book - disappointing; a lot of cringe worthy dialogue, and the mystery portions are pretty blunt and obvious. The popular meme "I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens" really applies to this show. It's not The X Files, if anyone is wondering.
  17. Arrow - when at the end of last year, we had the prison plot, I had hopes for this; these hopes were quickly dashed by yet another round of circle jerking drama, weak villains, and stupid flashbacks forwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Chernobyl
  2. Stranger Things Season 3
  3. Big Little Lies Season 2
  4. Killing Eve Season 2
  5. The Good Fight Season 3
  6. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  7. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  8. Game of Thrones Season 8
  9. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

In many ways, ST lost its ability to be properly spooky. But, then again, it didn't loose any of its charm plus the shorter season did wonders in terms of pacing and plot's conciseness. I have enjoyed it watching and the emotional ending

Regarding that ending...

Spoiler

Even though I like him, I do hope Hopper is dead and is not in Russian gulag. 

UPDATE: Big Little Lies Season 2

Watching Meryl Streep in this season of "Big Little Lies" was absolute pleasure. It wasn't perfect but the performances were enough for this to be one of the best things I have seen this year (SO FAR!)

Updates

2. Stranger Things - some of the plot premises were more ridiculous than anything we got so far, and the 80s stereotyping reached new levels; but I loved the character chemistry between multiple groups, it had tight pacing, great acting, good visuals, and as always a great soundtrack.
  3. The Boys - this was pretty damn good. Great premise, and for the most part excellently executed; a lot of setup that needs a second season, so really glad it got renewed.
  4. Jessica Jones - a really strong finish, for now at least; much better than season 2, and an improvement of secondary characters, while Ritter's performance is as good as ever.
  5. Kobra Kai - at least as excellent as season 1; really well written characters, and good plot twists; some of the stuff is exaggerated and unrealistic, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the show
  6. Zone Blanche - sometimes silly, but I really enjoy the characters, the mysteries and the atmosphere; it started slow, but built up really strongly; the end was almost a series finale, but I hope it's not. 
  7. Kingdom - one of this year's surprises; a Korean GoT, if you will, with an interesting plot, written fairly well, though silly at times. The action has good build up and tension. Not much character development, though, other than the main character.
  8. Russian Doll - the first episode nearly turned me off, but it picked up after that, with a strong mix of dark humor and close-to-the-heart messages; not really sure about the ending, a lot of ways to interpret it, which kinda makes it fun
  9. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - not as strong as the previous two seasons; while the stakes were supposed to be high, they didn't feel that high, given past plots. I enjoyed the last batch of episodes.
  10. The Punisher - a mix of good and bad, strong on the action, but the plot has issues; the discussion in the show's thread has all the points.
  11. iZombie - a good final season, and solid final episode; the season overall had a mix of its usual silliness, while it built up nicely towards the end.
  12. The Umbrella Academy - this one was a bit disappointing; given the character driven narrative, the characters really weren't likable; it took a while to really get going, too; good visuals and music.
  13. Game of Thrones - enough has been said already; really disappointed with this final season; but there was still strong quality in the visual effects, cinematography, and music departments.
  14. Designated Survivor - shorter, tighter, with a bigger budget, I think, and allowance for swear words. But it was still all over the place most times, mainly because the writers wanted to give the major characters stuff to do outside the main arc. Almost not sure why it's still called Designated Survivor.
  15. Love, Death + Robots - some of the episodes were great, visually and story-wise; others were meh.
  16. Star Trek Discovery - I really hoped too much from this; some new enjoyable characters, and a few really solid episodes; pretty good on the visuals; but it's riddled with plot holes.
  17. Hanna - I found I didn't care much about the characters, though the actor performances were generally solid; I liked the filming locations, and the story was sometimes engaging, but I didn't find it riveting; even the action scenes fluctuated between good and stupid.
  18. Supergirl - as silly in its execution as usual, but the plot and villains were better this season.
  19. Project Blue Book - disappointing; a lot of cringe worthy dialogue, and the mystery portions are pretty blunt and obvious. The popular meme "I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens" really applies to this show. It's not The X Files, if anyone is wondering.
  20. Arrow - when at the end of last year, we had the prison plot, I had hopes for this; these hopes were quickly dashed by yet another round of circle jerking drama, weak villains, and stupid flashbacks forwards.

1. Chernobyl

2. The Boys- I was really impressed with this. Antony Starr was excellent throughout, as was most of the cast. The last few episodes did slow up some but I’m excited it was renewed.

3. Veep

4. Stranger Things 

5. What We Do in the Shadows

6. Big Little Lies

7. Love, Death and Robots

8. True Detective- Pretty disappointing despite great acting

9. The Umbrella Academy- I’m surprised I finished this as it was a slog to get through.

10. GoT

So here's my updated. List I rearranged a few things and combined Letterkenny into one slot like someone suggested. Honestly, GoT S8 is only so high up because of the series overall. It's also the only show on the list where I've re-watched every episode of the season, so there must be something in there I liked. OITNB S7 might've made the Top 10 if it wasn't for those last few episodes. 

1.    Escape at Dannemora
2.    Stranger Things 3
3.    Umbrella Academy – S1
4.    Game of Thrones – S8
5.    Good Omens – S1
6.    Legion – S2
7.    Barry – S2
8.    Catastrophe – S4
9.    Good Place – S3
10.    Letterkenny S3-6
11.    Crashing – S3
12.    After Life – S1
13.    Veep – S7
14.    Russian Doll – S1
15.    The Boys – S1
16.    Single Parents – S1
17.    Losers – S1
18.    Gentleman Jack – S1
19.    OITNB – S7
20.    The Orville – S2
21.    Love, Death & Robots – S1
22.    Black Mirror – S5
23.    True Detective – S3
24.    Arrested Development –S5.2
25.    Watership Down (2018)
26.    TWD – S9.2
27.    Tidying Up w/ Marie Kondo – S1
28.    SNL 44
29.    Punisher – S2
30.    Huge in France – S1
31.    Ted Bundy Tapes
32.    Slobby’s World – S1
33.    Dr. Pimple Popper

34.    Assassination of Gianni Versace

1. Chernobyl
  2. Stranger Things Season 3
  3. Big Little Lies Season 2
  4. The Handmaid's Tale Season 3
  5. Killing Eve Season 2
  6. The Good Fight Season 3
  7. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  8. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  9. Game of Thrones Season 8
  10. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

This one had issues, missteps and plot holes, but still it is gripping. The last episode concluded some storyarcs rather successfully and I am eager to find out what is in store for June. 

Update:

Fantastic category:

1. Chernobyl: Phenomenal miniseries that does everything it sets out to do.

2. Les Miserables: a very well done and acted miniseries based heavily on the book. The best version of Les Mis done on film, I'd say.

3. The Deadwood Movie: Not sure if this counts, but I thought it was a beautiful, fitting end to a wonderful television series, and a big improvement on the end of season 3.

Very good category:

4. Veep: A funny, caustic, and appropriate end to the most cynical show about politics, only let down by some zig-zagging in the plot and characters

5. Game of Thrones: I have my quibbles, and the pacing could have benefitted from an extra episode or two; but it was overall a very satisfying end to a difficult story.

6. The Good Place S3: Still funny and some great episodes, but it's getting a little to saccharine for me, and the constant resets are hitting a point of diminishing returns.

7. Jessica Jones: Again, a pretty good ending to the series, and much better  than season 2. The last two episodes were fantastic, and the season as a whole benefitted from great acting. But the middle dragged, with its focus on the uninteresting villain Salinger.

Pretty ok category:

8. Stranger Things 3: Like Jessica Jones, the season opens well, finishes brilliantly, and meanders uninterestingly a lot in the middle. The characters felt flattened, and the overall plot wasn't convincing. But it was still fun, thanks especially to the Dustin/Robin/Steve trio. 

9. Star Trek Discovery. I wasn't a huge fan after season 1, and season 2, while it has its moments and some great episodes, didn't really convince me. I'm not a Trekkie, but both my Trekkie wife and I agree this is just all around mediocre.

10. Arrested Development: It's still inconsistent, but funnier than the first half of season 5, at least.

Did not like category:

11. The Punisher -  I have just flat out not enjoyed this show, and season 2 was even weaker than season 1 for me. Did not finish.

On the to watch list: Legion and Russian Doll, along with the upcoming seasons of Better Call Saul, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Expanse, and His Dark Materials. Though some of those might be 2020 shows.

Good

1) Attack on Titan s3. Easily the best thing I watched this year so far. Epic, emotional, full of bombshells. Loved it

2) Mindhunter s2. Just as good as the first season. Not enough Kemper though. 

Okay

3) True Detective s3) Started strong but ended badly

4) Stranger things s3) Maybe a little better than s2 

bad

5) Game of Thrones 

still wanna watch Chernobyl and catch up on Veep. Kinda lost me after Ianucci left

Update:

1. Game of Thrones 

2. Stranger Things 

3. The Boys 

4. Attack on Titan 

5. Cobra Kai

6. Doom Patrol

7. Veep

8. Orange is the New Black 

9. Brooklyn 99

10. Jessica Jones

11. A Series of Unfortunate Events 

12. Cloak and Dagger 

13. The Umbrella Academy 

14. 13 Reasons Why 

15. The Punisher

16. Designated Survivor 

17. IZombie

18. Wu Assassin 

2 hours ago, Dragon in the North said:

Update:

1. Game of Thrones 

2. Stranger Things 

3. The Boys 

4. Attack on Titan 

5. Cobra Kai

6. Doom Patrol

7. Veep

8. Orange is the New Black 

9. Brooklyn 99

10. Jessica Jones

11. A Series of Unfortunate Events 

12. Cloak and Dagger 

13. The Umbrella Academy 

14. 13 Reasons Why 

15. The Punisher

16. Designated Survivor 

17. IZombie

18. Wu Assassin 

I am surprised how low down you have iZombie. I think the final season was great. What werent you keen on?

Archived