Rank your 2019 TV shows throughout the year

Corvinus85

Ahh thanks Annara, I see the problem there I hadn't posted in the 2018 TV thread. I'm pretty sure I made a list in 2017 though. I could've made a list and neglected to post it, it's a bit of a memory exercise for me to recall my shows over a years time lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Chernobyl
  2. Stranger Things Season 3
  3. Big Little Lies Season 2
  4. The Handmaid's Tale Season 3
  5. Killing Eve Season 2
  6. The Good Fight Season 3
  7. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  8. New Amsterdam Seasons 1 and 2
  9. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  10. Game of Thrones Season 8
  11. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

Medical dramas are rarely innovative. Simply, the premise is always the same... Doctors juggling professional and private lives. From E.R. to Grey's Anatomy, that has not changed and soapy nature of medical dramas always wins. And so came New Amsterdam

When I first heard of it, I recalled the series of the same name with Nikolaj Coster Waldau. But that is another story. NA so far, in these 30 episodes, managed to be much lighter on personal drama than many other medical shows. The premise, however, is superb. The work of medical director in the oldest public hospital in USA. But... It worked into every cliche known to medical dramas. You have a doctor with addiction problem, a doctor who is more of celebrity than MD, one old doctor who keeps forgetting his glasses and a psychiatrist that think outside the box. Instead of using the platform to show what they really want to talk - how medicine can be actually available to everyone. it is lacking any intelligently thought off scenarios. The cast is great, diverse in every way, but simply the script needs to be less preachy and more poignant. Yes, we all know USA has issues with medical care. But for all its desires, New Amsterdam is not showing how to actually solve the problem but to work around the system for individual needs. Which is a pity. 

Currently watching: Watchmen, His Dark Materials, TheMandalorian, The Boys...

Updates

1. Dark - powerful, enigmatic, mind-bending, with an excellent cast, and well-written characters; easily as strong as season 1, if not better.
  2. Stranger Things - some of the plot premises were more ridiculous than anything we got so far, and the 80s stereotyping reached new levels; but I loved the character chemistry between multiple groups, it had tight pacing, great acting, good visuals, and as always a great soundtrack.
  3. The Boys - this was pretty damn good. Great premise, and for the most part excellently executed; a lot of setup that needs a second season, so really glad it got renewed.
  4. Kobra Kai - at least as excellent as season 1; really well written characters, and good plot twists; some of the stuff is exaggerated and unrealistic, but it didn't diminish my enjoyment of the show
  5. The Man in the High Castle - It has some weak and weird moments, but plenty of solid stuff, too, and I love seeing Nazis get their comeuppance.
  6. Jessica Jones - a really strong finish, for now at least; much better than season 2, and an improvement of secondary characters, while Ritter's performance is as good as ever.
  7. Zone Blanche - sometimes silly, but I really enjoy the characters, the mysteries and the atmosphere; it started slow, but built up really strongly; the end was almost a series finale, but I hope it's not. 
  8. Kingdom - one of this year's surprises; a Korean GoT, if you will, with an interesting plot, written fairly well, though silly at times. The action has good build up and tension. Not much character development, though, other than the main character.
  9. Russian Doll - the first episode nearly turned me off, but it picked up after that, with a strong mix of dark humor and close-to-the-heart messages; not really sure about the ending, a lot of ways to interpret it, which kinda makes it fun
  10. Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance - quite good, with strong visuals and music, though the puppetry didn't always work for me. A pretty good fantasy story, overall.
  11. Marvel's Agents of SHIELD - not as strong as the previous two seasons; while the stakes were supposed to be high, they didn't feel that high, given past plots. I enjoyed the last batch of episodes.
  12. The Punisher - a mix of good and bad, strong on the action, but the plot has issues; the discussion in the show's thread has all the points.
  13. Carnival Row - I had low expectations for this, so was pleasantly surprised that it was better than I thought it'd be. Still a ways to go, not enamored yet. 
  14. iZombie - a good final season, and solid final episode; the season overall had a mix of its usual silliness, while it built up nicely towards the end.
  15. The Umbrella Academy - this one was a bit disappointing; given the character driven narrative, the characters really weren't likable; it took a while to really get going, too; good visuals and music.
  16. Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan - this should have been better than it was. Jack Ryan needs to be less of a guy on par with special forces people, and more on the analytics side. And there was less realism this season, than the previous season.
  17. Game of Thrones - enough has been said already; really disappointed with this final season; but there was still strong quality in the visual effects, cinematography, and music departments.
  18. Designated Survivor - shorter, tighter, with a bigger budget, I think, and allowance for swear words. But it was still all over the place most times, mainly because the writers wanted to give the major characters stuff to do outside the main arc. Almost not sure why it's still called Designated Survivor.
  19. Love, Death + Robots - some of the episodes were great, visually and story-wise; others were meh.
  20. Star Trek Discovery - I really hoped too much from this; some new enjoyable characters, and a few really solid episodes; pretty good on the visuals; but it's riddled with plot holes.
  21. Hanna - I found I didn't care much about the characters, though the actor performances were generally solid; I liked the filming locations, and the story was sometimes engaging, but I didn't find it riveting; even the action scenes fluctuated between good and stupid.
  22. Supergirl - as silly in its execution as usual, but the plot and villains were better this season. New fall episodes are worse than what we got before. I'll likely stop watching once the Crisis episodes are released.
  23. Project Blue Book - disappointing; a lot of cringe worthy dialogue, and the mystery portions are pretty blunt and obvious. The popular meme "I'm not saying it's aliens, but it's aliens" really applies to this show. It's not The X Files, if anyone is wondering.
  24. Arrow - when at the end of last year, we had the prison plot, I had hopes for this; these hopes were quickly dashed by yet another round of circle jerking drama, weak villains, and stupid flashbacks forwards. Glad it's ending, will watch until the end. 

Watching The Mandalorian, and there will be more entries in December.

Update

Fantastic:

1.     The 100 season 6

2.     Dark season 2 - I binged both seasons of this show. This may be the best plotted show I've seen for years, but also the one with the most complicated and downright insane plot. Time travel is a huge gamble that many stories stumble on, but Dark is doing it really spectacularly well. I'm in for the ride with the huge cast of interconnected characters and all their strange relationships and crazy circumstances the show puts them in. I need to rewatch the first 2 seasons to catch all the details, call backs, dramatic ironies and hints, and I'm sure that it will be a lot of fun making theories about season 3. The music, editing and atmosphere are great, and I have to particularly praise the casting - they really are doing a fantastic job finding actors who look similar to play characters in different stages of life.

3.     BoJack Horseman season 6a

4.     The Good Place season 3 and season 4a - moved it up one place because the latest episodes have been stronger. I can't believe its series finale is airing this Thursday,

5.     Russian Doll season 1

Really good to fine:

6.     What We Do in the Shadows season 1

7.     Dublin Murders season 1 - this one ended a couple of weeks ago. I'm a sucker for the mystery stories with flashbacks and ties to the past and a focus on detectives who are themselves deeply damaged people and on their dark pasts, so I loved this. But while I haven't read the books it's based on, I agree that the way two different storylines from two books were squeezed together made one of them (Cassie's assignment) feel rushed. The other one was really good done, though. I got invested in the main characters, so I hope it gets a second season - because, while the ending could work as a realistic one, it's also goddamn depressing.

8.     The Passage season 1

9.     Roswell: New Mexico season 1

Rather disappointing, though it had its moments:

10.  Agents of SHIELD season 6

Bottom of the barrel:

11.  Black Lightning season 2 - the show has never been great, but it was decent. But this season's really weird and poor pacing, a bunch of disjointed plotlines that didn't gel together that well, and a main villain that's far overstayed his welcome (and was never that great to begin with) made me lose interest more and more. I procrastinated for months after episode 13 and then found it hard to make myself watch, because those last few episodes didn't even feel like the ending of a season is supposed to. And the fact that they're introducing some Eastern European stereotype villains for the next season makes it even more definite that I won't be continuing.

12.  Veronica Mars season 4 - since I dropped GoT way before season 8, I don't think VM will have a rival for the biggest disappointment I've had in a TV show this year.

1. Chernobyl
  2. The Crown Season 3
  3. Stranger Things Season 3
  4. Big Little Lies Season 2
  5. The Handmaid's Tale Season 3
  6. Killing Eve Season 2
  7. The Good Fight Season 3
  8. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  9. New Amsterdam Seasons 1 and 2
  10. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  11. Game of Thrones Season 8
  12. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

Carried by extraordinarily talented cast that includes Olivia Colman, Helena Bonham Carter and Tobias Menzies, the third season, although far more episodic in nature is excellent study in psychology of those that live by the rule Mary of Teck said in 1st season: "The Crown must always win".

1. Chernobyl
  2. The Crown Season 3
  6. A Discovery of Witches Season 1
  7. Killing Eve Season 2
  8. The Good Fight Season 3
  9. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  10. New Amsterdam Seasons 1 and 2
  11. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  12. Game of Thrones Season 8
  13. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

This one was rather enjoyable. Matthew Goode has been perfect as usual and the story was interesting enough. Looking forward to Season 2.

1. Game of Thrones 

2. Stranger Things

3. The Boys

4. Attack on Titan 

5. Cobra Kai

6. Doom Patrol 

7. Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance 

8. Veep

9. Orange is the New Black 

10. Brooklyn 99

11. Jessica Jones 

12. Titans

13. A Series of Unfortunate Events

14. Cloak and Dagger 

15. The Umbrella Academy 

16. Impulse 

17. 13 Reasons Why

18. The Punisher

19. Designated Survivor 

20. IZombie 

21. Wu Assasin 

On 11/27/2019 at 3:36 PM, Dragon in the North said:

1. Game of Thrones 

2. Stranger Things

3. The Boys

4. Attack on Titan 

5. Cobra Kai

6. Doom Patrol 

7. Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance 

8. Veep

9. Orange is the New Black 

10. Brooklyn 99

11. Jessica Jones 

12. Titans

13. A Series of Unfortunate Events

14. Cloak and Dagger 

15. The Umbrella Academy 

16. Impulse 

17. 13 Reasons Why

18. The Punisher

19. Designated Survivor 

20. IZombie 

21. Wu Assasin 

I volunteer at one of the places used as a set for the Umbrella Academy. Whenever we go in we have to sign in. I did a night last week and saw that a film crew had been given a tour the night before. A day later I saw that filming for the second season had finished. I guess that was what the tour was for. Showing the film crew the biggest telescope in Canada and how it works now that they had finished filming around it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  1. Chernobyl
  2. The Crown Season 3
  6. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 3
  7. A Discovery of Witches Season 1
  8. Killing Eve Season 2
  9. The Good Fight Season 3
  10. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  11. New Amsterdam Seasons 1 and 2
  12. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  13. Game of Thrones Season 8
  14. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

Maisel is a strange Jewish mix of Fleabag and Gilmore Girls. And as such, when it works, it is amazing. The issue is that it doesn't allow some punch lines to actually breathe. Especially when it comes to more dramatic moments. 

Update:

Fantastic

1.     The 100 season 6

2.     Dark season 2

3.     Chernobyl - amazingly done (though I wish they didn't ignore Legasov's family), even if it wasn't on top of my list for personal enjoyment. I remember some info about Chernobyl, but did not know all these details (some of which I additionally found out while checking out what was accurate in the show. Of course, not everything is, but it is certainly a lot more accurate than most shows about real life events.

4     Good Omens - Neil Gaiman at his best, adapting his own novel co-written with the late Terry Pratchett. Hilarious and irreverent commentary on the Christian dogma, this comedy actually has a great and deeply humanistic points about free will and the nature of people. David Tennant and Michael Sheen are brilliant and have amazing chemistry. And this show also has the cutest little boy-Antichrist ever. (Who's a cute little Antichrist? Yes you are!)

5.    BoJack Horseman season 6a

6.     The Good Place season 3b and 4a - Had its mid-season finale and will continue and conclude in 2020. Season 4 wasn't the strongest compared to seasons 1 and 2, but had a really good ending. I hope the show's finale will be really amazing.

7.     Russian Doll season 1

Really good to fine:

8.     What We Do in the Shadows season 1

9.     Dublin Murders season 1 

10.   The Passage season 1

11.  Emergence season 1a - this autumn season has brought some surprisingly good and interesting US broadcast shows. My favorite is CBS's quirky supernatural drama Evil, but this one is close behind. When you say ABC, you don't immediately think of serialized SciFi mystery drama (especially when it doesn't happen due to their deal with Marvel/Disney and did not start as an apparently procedural show, like Agents of SHIELD). The mystery is interesting, the characters are likable, and additional points for having a strong female lead who doesn't fit the Hollywood model in terms of looks (and it's completely irrelevant to the story). Season 1 is not over yet, it has 13 episodes, but the show aired its mid-season finale yesterday.

12     Roswell: New Mexico season 1

13.   Prodigal Son season 1a - another good new broadcast show (this one on Fox) which has recently aired its  mid-season finale, with a big cliffhanger. At times it comes close to being just another procedural about a quirky profiler working with the police, but what saves even those episodes is a great performance by Tom Payne as the title character Malcolm Bright and his backstory, the serialized element connected to it, and most of all, Michael Sheen as his charming manipulated incarcerated serial killer- father. The more the show focuses on him and his dynamic with Malcolm and other family members and their backstory, the better it is. (Watching Sheen in such completely different roles as the adorable angel Aziraphael in Good Omens and the creepy notorious serial killer "The Surgeon" is quite something.)

Rather disappointing, though it had its moments:

14.  Agents of SHIELD season 6

Bottom of the barrel:

15.  Black Lightning season 2 

16.  Veronica Mars season 4 

I'll soon be adding Evil (airs its midseason finale on Thursday) and Barry ans Santa Clarita Diet, very soon.

1. Chernobyl
  2. The Expanse Season 4
  3. The Crown Season 3
  4. Stranger Things Season 3
  5. Big Little Lies Season 2
  6. The Handmaid's Tale Season 3
  7. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 3
  8. A Discovery of Witches Season 1
  9. Killing Eve Season 2
  10. The Good Fight Season 3
  11. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  12. New Amsterdam Seasons 1 and 2
  13. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  14. Game of Thrones Season 8
  15. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

I have enjoyed in many of the series I have watched this season, but simply The Expanse takes the cake. So far :D It was gripping, intense and epic and moving to Amazon Prime was the best that could have happened to this series. I can't wait to see what Season 5 holds.

As I watch a shit ton of TV, this post will be an exhausting read....

Top tier (my A-list):

The Deuce- Great final season to the best show --IMO-- since the Wire. 

The Expanse- This is the science fiction show I've always wanted. 

The Boys- Damn they did a great job of honoring the books without doing it frame for frame.

Castle Rock- Season 2 better than Season 1, Lizzy Caplan was brilliant as Annie Wilkes.

Man in the High Castle- Despite the confusing finale, good final season.

Mr. Robot- Despite a slight falloff in the final season, this remains the best show in a commercial      network --IMO-- since Breaking Bad. 
Watchmen- I liked this more than a lot of you. I think everything that happened, Dr. Manhattan wanted to happen.

Dark- This show is brilliantly conceived, and the reveals are second to none.

Good Omens- Just great fun. I felt warm and fuzzy after every episode.

His Dark Materials- This show just kept on getting better as the season wore on.

Carnival Row- A love story,  social commentary about racism, steampunk war story. Loved it.

Mindhunters- A TV show about the FBI without one shot being fired. Yet awesome. 

Handmaid's Tale- sub-par season, still exceptional television.

Chernobyl- Best miniseries of the year, IMO 

The Spy- Sascha baron Cohen was amazing.

Counterpart- Most of us have forgotten this was in January...lol

Les Miserables- Dominic West was fantastic, and this was the best adaptation of this yet (6 episodes)

Honorable mention (very good) in no particular orderMr. Mercedes, The Magicians, The Widow, Into The Badlands, Hanna, Legion, Years & Years, Jack Ryan, Warrior, The Punisher, The Act, Snowfall, A Discovery of Witches, Traitors, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, The Mandalorian, Name of the Rose, Jessica Jones, The Umbrella Academy, Star Trek Discovery, Kingdom, Pennyworth, American Gods, The Chi, Bosch, Game of Thrones, Sneaky Pete, Killing Eve, Preacher, Goliath, Succession, Catch 22, The Loudest Voice, Peaky Blinders, Stranger Things, The Crown, 

Good, not great: Pure, Gentleman Jack, Billions, Spanish Princess, City on a Hill, Nos4A2, Deep State, Wu Assassins, Tin Star, Unbelievable, Strike Back, The Hot Zone, The Terror, Cathryn the Great, Agents of Shield, Killjoys, True Detective

A whole lotta "meh": The OA, Medici, the ABC Murders, Secret City, the Informer, Absentia, Fortitude, the Runaways, Animal Kingdom, Yellowstone, Jett, Harlots, the Son, Berlin Station, London Kills, Project Blue Book, the Disappearance, The Walking Dead, Cloak and Dagger, The Dublin Murders, the Rook, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Mr. Inbetween

Sucked a bag of dicks: The Oath, Queen of the South, Ray Donovan, Knightfall, Treadstone, Krypton, Vikings, the Godfather of Harlem, Fear the Walking Dead, Bad Blood, Britannia, V-Wars

Brought the yuk yuks:  Happy, Lodge 49, Dead to Me, the End of the Fucking World, Sick Note, the Santa Clarita Diet, Russian Doll, the Righteous Gemstones, The Orville, On becoming a God in Central Florida, Perpetual Grace LTD., 

The Witcher and Lost in Space are pending, but y'all get the idea...lol... 

1. Dark
  2. Young Justice
  3. Stranger Things
  4. The OA
  5. Chernobyl
  6. Rick and Morty (season 4 so far)
  7. Russian Doll
  8. The Boys
  9. Humans (I know the final season came out last year but in the U.S. it wasn't available to watch for free on Amazon Prime until this year.)
  10. Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
  11. Counterpart
  12. Undone
  13. Game Of Thrones
  14. Santa Clarita Diet
  15. Orange is the New Black
  16. South Park
  17. Living With Yourself
  18. After Life
  19. Love, Death, and Robots
  20. The End of the Fxxxing World
  21. The Big Bang Theory
  22. Black Mirror

Been a good year for viewing shows, 1-10 I can say I all honestly loved, 11-22 I can say I all enjoyed.

There have been some aborted viewings though:

Watched the first episode of the second season of Future Boy and just couldn't go any further.

Made it through 2 episodes of Good Omens, I'm thinking of going back, not sure yet.

Tried twice now starting The Expanse and just couldn't get into it, I'm not talking about starting this last season, I mean starting from the beginning of the show. But it gets so many high recommendations I know I have to give it another try at some point.

Never finished The Americans, but might.

Watched the first 3 or 4 episodes of the first season of Bosch really enjoyed it, just a matter of finding the right time to go back.

Can't watch the Mad About You reboot, fucking Spectrum, even if it was available I'm not signing up for a complete new Internet company just to watch it!

Netflix's Other Life, I thought there had to be some angle where it was satirical, but it was cringe-worthy in its earnestness. I episode and I was out!

Also, Black Summer I think is a bust. I watched most of the season and thought maybe it had something to offer more than being a not as good The Walking Dead clone, but like the above 2, nope. Netflix needs to watch it!

Then it happens again on Netflix with The Island! I thought this time for sure it was intentional, that they had to be doing a reconstruction of Lost, but nope, horrible rip-off of a show that I originally couldn't even get into. Another 1 episode and out for me.

Still need to watch (and really looking forward to doing so) most recent seasons or first seasons of:

The Mandalorian

Harley Quinn

Titans

Watchmen

His Dark Materials

The Deuce

Mindhunter

GLOW

The Witcher

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance 

Atypical

Derry Girls

Better Than Us

Raising Dion

Wentworth (entire series)

Big Mouth

Sneaky Pete

The Good Place

Catch-22

The Handmaid's Tale

Castle Rock

Lodge 49 (entire series...only saw the pilot)

Mr. Robot (need to restart from beginning, only ever watched a few episodes)

Happy!

Get Shorty

Shameless (last 2 seasons)

Carnival Row ( Maybe? I don't know.)

Also...older series that got a rewatch this year:

DollHouse

Derek

Better Off Ted

Young Justice (watched whole series from the beginning)

The Job

Titus

Justice League Action

Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Taxi

The Critic

Teen Titans

Update with all the shows I've managed to finish in the last 10 days:

1.     The 100 season 6

2.     Dark season 2

3.     Chernobyl

4.     Barry season 2 - I discovered this and watched both seasons recently, and it has been one of the biggest TV surprises for me. The title didn't promise much, it's the kind of title I expect in lame sitcoms, but I heard it was good. The premise seemed bizarre. It 'turned out to be a great dramedy/black comedy that can be hilarious but that also gets incredibly dark. It's almost like a live action equivalent of BoJack Horseman, with serious issues like abusive relationships and the question "can people really change?" (the main theme, especially in season 2), and a great deal of biting satire of Hollywood. Season 2 was particularly amazing.

5.     Good Omens

6.     Cloak & Dagger season 2 - A very underrated Marvel show and one of the most unique ones in terms of style, with the New Orleans setting, use of Voodoo and dream sequences combined with real life social and emotional issues. Season 1 had some serious flaws, but season 2 fulfilled all the potential. It's really a shame that it got cancelled.

7.     BoJack Horseman season 6a

8.     The Good Place season 3b/4a

9.     Russian Doll season 1

10.  Santa Clarita Diet season 3 - another brilliant comedy I discovered this year, watching all 3 seasons. And unfortunately, another show that Netflix ridiculously cancelled after 3 seasons. There may be better comedies on this list, but this one is the funniest out of them by far, and possibly the most charming, in spite of being about a woman who becomes an undead cannibal (zombie but not really a zombie) and her husband, who are constantly making their minds up which people they should or shouldn't kill so she could get fed and not get discovered. It would be higher if season 3 was as good as season 2, but it still had the wacky humor,  Drew Barrymore, the most lovable characters (other than maybe The Good Place) and great comedic performances from Drew Barrymore and Timothy Olyphant.

11.  Evil season 1 - One of the best new broadcast shows this year, and certainly my favorite. There are so many ways this show could have been bad - but instead, it makes everything work, from the way it plays with the supernatural elements but never fully confirms it, to having a religious character who's training to be a Catholic priest and believes in demon possessions etc. doesn't come off as a prig or a fool or a hypocrite to a full skeptic who also comes off fully reasonable, to openly playing with UST between a married woman with a bunch of kids and a priest-in-training but still having both characters remain lovable, to finding a good balance between episodic cases and the continuing mystery... Everything about this show is fun, it can be scary as hell as well as funny, the leads are all great, and Michael Emerson plays one of the creepiest villains on TV.

12.  What We Do in the Shadows season 1

13.  Dublin Murders season 1

14.  The Passage season 1

15.  Emergence season 1a

16.  Roswell: New Mexico season 1

17.  Prodigal Son season 1a

18.  Agents of SHIELD season 6

19.  World on Fire season 1 - decent UK mini-series about WW2 that I accidentally started watching. Gets points for showing the perspective of other countries, particularly Poland, instead of the focus on Brits and Americans that you usually see in UK and US productions. Also nice to see Sean Bean again. Loses points for a lame love triangle and for the fact that mos of the good guys are acting way too much like 21st century people with progressive views, which is lovely but pretty unrealistic.

20.  Black Lightning season 2

21.  Veronica Mars season 4

I don't know how many shows I'll manage to finish before the New Year's Eve. I'll certainly finish The Mandalorian and His Dark Materials. I'm hoping to also finish or catch up on (some of these): The Expanse, Watchmen, Jessica Jones, The Boys, Runaways, Big Little Lies, Fleabag. The Witcher will probably remain for January, alongside Star Trek: Discovery, The Punisher, The Terror, The Umbrella Academy, The Handmaid's Tale, Undone, and several others where I have more than one season to catch up on, so I'll be adding shows to this list during January, too, as we did last year. 

1. Chernobyl
  2. The Expanse Season 4
  3. The Crown Season 3
  4. Stranger Things Season 3
  5. Big Little Lies Season 2
  6. The Handmaid's Tale Season 3
  7. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel Season 3
  8. A Discovery of Witches Season 1
  9. Killing Eve Season 2
  10. The Good Fight Season 3
  11. The Witcher Season 1
  12. Cukur (The Pit) Seasons 1 and 2
  13. New Amsterdam Seasons 1 and 2
  14. Grey's Anatomy Season 15 (special emphasis on "Silent All These Years")
  15. Game of Thrones Season 8
  16. The Big Bang Theory Season 12

Although Henry Cavill has rather broad shoulders, simply he can't carry this out. Such a pity...

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

I am not sure that I should trust y'all that are putting the 100 so high.  

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one in this thread who's watching it. You haven't watched season 6, I presume? But did watch some part of it earlier? The show has certainly had its ups and downs, but season 6 is its best so far, IMO.

39 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Ah, I thought I'd seen at least one other but perhaps I was just seeing your repeat posts.

I have not seen any of it except a bit of S1E1.  I didn't absolutely hate it or anything and just got sidetracked, but I also didn't expect it to get show of the year nods.  

The first couple of episodes were the worst. I found the premise interesting enough to continue, but they were pretty cheesy, with so much cringey dialogue and teen soapy moments  Then someone at the network must have told them they wanted a more serious post-apocalyptic drama instead of a cheesy teen CW soap, because the CW-ness started disappearing pretty quickly. By episode 1x05, it got really good, and season 2 was amazing. 

It later had some ups and downs, but the downs were mostly because it can get a bit too grimdark at times. in seasons 3 and 5 especially, as post-apocalyctic dramas can do - a lot of killing people and constant conflicts and worst possible outcomes. The world-building is also not always its strong side, but the character development is really good, for the most part. It can be a mess (season 3 was so bad) but when it's good, it's really, really good,. like seasons 2 and 4,  and season 6 was, for me, the best so far - most SciFi heavy plot, most character-focused, pretty trippy, great villains, amazing visuals.

Archived