UK Politics: Time Marches On

mormont

EU must learn from Brexit and reform, says Emmanuel Macron

Emmanuel Macron has called for a new European agency to fight against international cyber-attacks and the manipulation of election campaigns, as well as a ban on foreign powers funding European parties, as he set out plans to overhaul the EU in response to Britain’s vote to leave. As part of what he called a “roadmap to European renewal”, he put forward a range of proposals for change including tougher joint action on internet hate speech, the supervision of internet giants, new competition rules, a minimum European wage and a new defence treaty. He also proposed that panels of European citizens should be consulted on EU reforms, not just during election periods.

The optimist in me tells me this is a good thing, and something Remainers can campaign on. Especially the bit about banning foreign powers from funding political parties. Anyone who claims to be concerned with the integrity of British sovereignty, not to mention the millions the Tories get from Russia, should welcome this with open arms.

6 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I rather begrudge 1.6 billion being spent on mostly brexit voting towns in the north. 

Oddly, it's near identical to the amount of money that keeping Chris Grayling in government has cost the British taxpayer.

10 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Pretty sure Tusk is planning to end his time on the European stage and try to rescue Poland from those PiS fuckers. Thought his time was up anyway though?

His current term ends in November. The question is if he could have another. Haven't seen anything suggesting that he couldn't. 

45 minutes ago, Loge said:

His current term ends in November. The question is if he could have another. Haven't seen anything suggesting that he couldn't. 

Then you see it here, now.

Article 15 Lisbon Treaty paragraph 5 if you want to google it.

The EU council president can get reelected once. This is Tusk's second term, thus he will be leaving his post.

Or click here and scroll down to appointment.

9 hours ago, Spockydog said:

EU must learn from Brexit and reform, says Emmanuel Macron

The optimist in me tells me this is a good thing, and something Remainers can campaign on. Especially the bit about banning foreign powers from funding political parties. Anyone who claims to be concerned with the integrity of British sovereignty, not to mention the millions the Tories get from Russia, should welcome this with open arms.

It looks like a good initiative, something Europe could lead on. And something the UK should be involved with!

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Then you see it here, now.

Article 15 Lisbon Treaty paragraph 5 if you want to google it.

The EU council president can get reelected once. This is Tusk's second term, thus he will be leaving his post.

Or click here and scroll down to appointment.

I had a feeling that might be the case. Shame for the EU - maybe good for Poland? Though i'm not sure what he can do there.

Tusk has done a pretty good job. But so did his lower profile predecessor van Rompuy. Shows you can be a conservative politician without being crazy or incompetent, even in these days.

The next EU comission will look different as a whole. The populist goverment in Italy for instance will appoint a new commissioner, so Mogherini (foreign relations) will also be gone. I am mildly curious who will succeed Tusk, it's a bit early, since we don't know who will be the head of the goverment in each member state. There are some rumours. Rumour one has Merkel eyeing for that position, as it would solve a domestic problem for her. Namely this switch would enable her to let Kramp-Karrenbauer succeed her as chancellor, too (and thus becoming the CDU's candidate for chancellor for the next election by default). Personally, I think the position is too important to play party politics, and Merkel is a bad fit for that position. The role for the Council President is to set the agenda for the EU, and Merkel is so void of any political vision, it would be a horrible fit. The other name that has thus far popped up occasionally is current Dutch PM Rutte. I don't know Dutch politics enough to have a strong opinion on him, and whether he actually wants to become the next council president (and leave his position as PM).

I had a quick look at what bookmakers are giving for odds on Brexit. They seem to be giving the best odds on there being a deal, do they know something?

Their odds on there being a referendum or delay are better than the odds on a no deal Brexit, but a deal still appears to have the best odds (lowest payout).

9 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I had a quick look at what bookmakers are giving for odds on Brexit. They seem to be giving the best odds on there being a deal, do they know something?

They assume that May's strategy to run down the clock and effectively tell MPs my Deal or No-deal will force enough MPs to vote for it.

Again this may work for the very same reason it may not work. Westminster is full of morons, who are incapable of thinking the consequences of their actions thru to the end.

What I mean is, if you want to remain or a second referendum about remaining the UK has to participate in the upcoming EU elections. Both major parties rule that out, as I've said in the previous thread there's at least a logical consistency to it. If we leave, it is hard to explain to our voters why we should participate in the upcoming election. That doesn't make sense.

The other side is, how can you remain a full member without representation at the EU parliament. You can't logically. If the UK does not participate and the seats have been reallocated... this is just a complete mess. So here I will shit on the Labour frontbench again, who are now saying they would support a new refenrendum about remaining (if May rejects Labour's Deal), while they also rule out the UK participating in the upcoming EU elections. How on earth do you scare that one out? You can't.

So while they (MPs of both parties) are ruling out remain in everything but name, I can see them still being moronic enough to simultanously vote down May's deal. And then they end up as the deer on the road staring at the headlights of an oncoming car motionless, while JRM laughingly honks before hitting the accelarator and the UK simply crashes out.

On second thought the deer on the road is the perfect metaphor, to avoid the crash the damn thing has to move in either direction to leave the road. Which they can't or won't.

Here's the thing:

Ian Lavery, chairman of the Labour party, and possessor of the largest disparity between brain size and body mass since the Stegosaurus has told the Jizzrag that he can't win an election if he backs a second referendum. But the Tory press and commentariat all think no-Brexit would be the worst possible outcome for the Tories, even worse than no deal. We (the Tories) are being kippified and our voters are more purple now than Cameron's in 2010 and 2015. So if the great Brexit Turd is not passed through the Palace of Westminster we are, we are informed, going to get it in the neck. 

So what gives? Surely no-Brexit can't be disastrous for both parties. Someone is telling whacking great fairy tales. 

21 minutes ago, Nothing Has Changed said:

Here's the thing:

Ian Lavery, chairman of the Labour party, and possessor of the largest disparity between brain size and body mass since the Stegosaurus has told the Jizzrag that he can't win an election if he backs a second referendum. But the Tory press and commentariat all think no-Brexit would be the worst possible outcome for the Tories, even worse than no deal. We (the Tories) are being kippified and our voters are more purple now than Cameron's in 2010 and 2015. So if the great Brexit Turd is not passed through the Palace of Westminster we are, we are informed, going to get it in the neck. 

So what gives? Surely no-Brexit can't be disastrous for both parties. Someone is telling whacking great fairy tales. 

I think the beneficiary of a no-Brexit outcome would be seats in the British Parliament for UKIP. Labour voters pissed at Labour for backing off from Brexit won't vote Tory, but they might vote UKIP, and same for Tory voters pissed at the Tories for failing to achieve Brexit.

Just now, The Anti-Targ said:

I think the beneficiary of a no-Brexit outcome would be seats in the British Parliament for UKIP. Labour voters pissed at Labour for back off from Brexit won't vote Tory, but they might vote UKIP, and same for Tory voters pissed at the Tories for failing to achieve Brexit.

What do you know though, buster. 

UKIP is dead anyway, Mr Toad has gone and they're debating letting ol' Tommy Robinson in. They wouldn't win seats. 

14 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think the beneficiary of a no-Brexit outcome would be seats in the British Parliament for UKIP. Labour voters pissed at Labour for backing off from Brexit won't vote Tory, but they might vote UKIP, and same for Tory voters pissed at the Tories for failing to achieve Brexit.

Forgive my antipodean understanding but why on earth would the UKIP, a party focused on the single issue of Brexit, which largely died shortly after the Brexit vote was delivered as it was now useless, be revitalised by the actual occurance of hard Brexit?

I would have thought that the UKIP will have its renaissance in the event of Brexit not occuring. Not the other way around.

Archived