UK Politics: Time Marches On

mormont

So May has allowed a free vote on the so called Malthouse Plan B for when we leave without a deal:

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1105568607084441602?s=20

It contains four measures that include the British government publishing its post-Brexit trade tariff schedules “immediately” and seeks an extension of Article 50 until 22nd May.

The plan would also offer “mutual standstill agreements” with the European Union for a period until the end of 2021 at the latest with discussions on the future relationship and the UK contributing financially in the meantime.

Under the plan the government would also unilaterally guarantee the rights of EU citizens living in Britain.

It's a free vote not because May wants it to be, but because she's recognising the inevitable. She knows she could not impose a whip on her Cabinet, let alone the party as a whole. 

That's the state we're in. The Prime Minister has no control over her government or her party. Nobody has any genuine confidence in her leadership, only a self-serving desire to avoid a general election. Two weeks out from the most significant date in UK politics for decades, government policy for what will actually happen that day is a back-of-the-envelope shambles, and the only idea the PM has is to keep pushing a deal that is setting new records for Parliamentary defeats. 

And it was all avoidable. 

Turns out, it's not necessarily a free vote either - just on some of the ammendments, but not others (in a compicated way I haven't been able to keep up with whilst doing housework and cooking) - sounds like there's some unhappy tories about that.

5 hours ago, Heartofice said:

So May has allowed a free vote on the so called Malthouse Plan B for when we leave without a deal:

https://twitter.com/SteveBakerHW/status/1105568607084441602?s=20

Wasn't Malthouse that bunch of ERG nonsense that was never gonna fly with the EU?

Not sure how this one keeps popping up.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

and the only idea the PM has is to keep pushing a deal that is setting new records for Parliamentary defeats. 

You know the old song:

One times, two times, three times a deal yeah.

Anyway, I think the more telling thing is, that they vote on fantasies, as if a Westminster vote turns fantasy into reality.

Edit for clarity. When I say fantasy, I obviously mean Malthouse not May's deal.

there are 2 amendments to tonight vote

The first rejects a no-deal Brexit at any time and the second calls for a delay to Brexit from 29 March to 22 May to give time to leave without a deal.

I really really hope the first amendment passes, as this would make a 2nd ref or just withdrawing Article 50 slightly more likely.

the 2nd option, I hate to say it that 2 extra months is not enough time for the country to prepare for a no deal exit.  there is no such thing as a Managed No deal.  It takes years to negotiate trade deals.

I'm a little upset that I'm not gonna be able to watch this live as I have to be elsewhere.  so someone fill me in on what happens.

First one passes.

No deal is off the table (non-bindingly).

Majority 4, May remarkably unhappy (this was the whipped vote).

I would expect this to mean Mays deal comes for 3rd time lucky, with about half of the ERG taking anything rather than asking the people again

8 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

First one passes.

No deal is off the table (non-bindingly).

Majority 4, May remarkably unhappy (this was the whipped vote).

I would expect this to mean Mays deal comes for 3rd time lucky, with about half of the ERG taking anything rather than asking the people again

The Speaker might reject any vote on the deal again unless it is changed in some ways, that would be interesting 

2nd vote rejected

No delay, so something has to happen by March 29... Or to ignore parliamentary sovereignty.

Majority 210.

As far as I can tell, it was rather pointless given the first motion passing.

JRM saying that he's won, despite being on the losing side of both.

ETA, sorry, I think I was confusing myself. Second amendment was a short extension, so we've got 16 days, or any extension the EU offers us (long)

As an outsider, it really seems to me that the only way to resolve this is through an either-or vote not a yes-no vote. With yes-no votes only, there's no way to force MPs to make a decision.

Are either-or votes (Vote A and we do this, Vote B and we do that) not allowed in parliament or is everyone just too incentivized against boiling things down like that?

Been thinking about that Farage veto stuff all day. This could backfire and perhaps be the end of him. If Parliament votes to extend A50, does anyone really believe they will allow some Italian fascists to detmine the course of our nation? The idea is utterly preposterous. 

Under those circumstances, Article 50 will almost certainly be revoked, and Farage will go down in history as the man who kept us in the EU.

3 minutes ago, Pebble said:

So now we have to leave with a Deal,  or Not Brexit at all  (with or without a referendum or extension)  

I guess this is kinda progress.

It's properly good progress, if... Theresa May acceeds to the demands of parliament.

There's a moral imperative, bit that's never bothered her before

Archived