The Education Thread

Teng Ai Hui

Our mask mandate has been lifted maybe a month ago. Rare staff and students still wear them, but I haven't noticed anybody being bullied for it. I stopped wearing mine and for some days, we all felt like something was missing. Even one of the students said so, like you forgot something.

Edit: talking about a high school here.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course things always go worse...

... so remember when I mentioned that I snapped and got myself dragged into a dumb shouting match before the holidays when a bunch of students tried to kick my door in after terrorizing the whole school for a week?

Yeah, so apparently someone hid in the corner, filmed it, uploaded it on TikTok and messaged it to all the students at the school. One of my classes told me that today, though when they tried to show it to me, it turned out the clip was already deleted.

Oddly enough, I'm bouncing somewhere between annoyed and strangely blasé about it. I guess it helps that (for the time being) the video is gone and I didn't even see it and also that the class, which is one of my most frustrating ones themselves to boot, reacted fairly amused about it, arguing that it takes so much to make me crack that that guy who tried to threaten me surely had it coming. They also rather quickly switched to wanting to show me clip of a female student from among them dancing drunk on a table while they already had my attention, so there you go. -.-

Anyway, I hope this bullshit doesn't end up haunting me 20 years in the future, but still... I regret how many insults I sprinkled in my description of their behavior, but not that I was this upset. Especially after I found afterwards that they also peppered the doors of other classes with raw eggs that day. I'm baffled just how much those must hate school that they couldn't even wait until their finals before wanting to tear everything down.

• 6 months later...

Universities such as Stanford, Indiana and Chicago have conducted precise experiments with groups of students to understand better which teaching methods are the most effective. Students who follow these methods learn more easily, retain information for longer periods, and save hours of study time that can be spent on other things. These recommendations include drawing up a training schedule, planning time, and conducting training in suitable conditions. But in my opinion, the most important thing is the student's motivation. I check jamb admission status with my registration number online and sometimes study after a 12-hour shift at work. But I wanted to change my life, and that's why now I'm a student at the university I dreamed of.

4 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

University leaves me too exhausted to even wank

Hello #NNN

That's why it good that most students are young. They can take it then.  :D  BTW, grad school is even worse.  By far!

3 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

I'll take your word for it

You can also take my word that it will get better for you, as an undergrad, once the first semester / term has been negotiated, and the first year all together.  Also engineering programs are difficult for almost everyone, no matter how smart and / or prepared. So says my bro -- and he loved the stuff. Especially the first year. Like medical school.

Of course I don't know how things operate where you are studying -- I'm only talking about here.

Let me haste to add: there's no doubt you've got what it takes, if you want it!

• 4 months later...

Archived