Shows you felt went on too long, ended too soon or felt just ended at the right time

Varysblackfyre321

Dexter, Weeds, Shameless, Orange is the New Black, The Office, Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, Supernatural, The Vampire Diaries, True Blood, House of Cards, South Park, The Simpsons, Family Guy, Friends, That 70s Show, Scrubs, Smallville. 

16 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

Supernatural. I felt that about 10 years ago. It's still going!

The show really should have ended at five seasons with Eric Kripke's original plan for the finale. That would have been the perfect bittersweet ending. The show has never gotten remotely close to the heights of Kripke's 5-season story arc since then. There's been some good standalone episodes but the writers have increasingly played fast and loose with established canon to the point of ridiculousness. 

Most every successful show goes on too long - especially comedies.  The only exceptions would be the "auteur" phase of showrunners in which they were allowed to go out on their own.  Even then I think Breaking Bad is the only clear cut example of a show ending before it ran into problems.  Mad Men certainly went on too long, and an argument could be made that even Sopranos meandered there for a season or two.  Similar to The Wire, whose quality in the last season is considerably lacking compared to its previous four.

Just now, DMC said:

That didn't go on long enough!

Exactly! (Imo it wasn’t anothe full season it needed, just a longer s3 with some tweaks to the story. And cut Jekyll because he seems to have been added on the assumption of a longer run)

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

Most every successful show goes on too long - especially comedies.  The only exceptions would be the "auteur" phase of showrunners in which they were allowed to go out on their own.  Even then I think Breaking Bad is the only clear cut example of a show ending before it ran into problems.  Mad Men certainly went on too long, and an argument could be made that even Sopranos meandered there for a season or two.  Similar to The Wire, whose quality in the last season is considerably lacking compared to its previous four.

Completely disagree wrt The Sopranos. You can count on one hand the amount of weak episodes it had. 

It went out stronger than Breaking Bad, imo. I’ll take Tony vs Phil/NY over Walter vs the Nazis any day. 

Just now, HelenaExMachina said:

And cut Jekyll because he seems to have been added on the assumption of a longer run

Yeah if they had cut Jekyll they could have wrapped up in season 3 without making it seem as rushed as it did.

Just now, Nictarion said:

It went out stronger than Breaking Bad, imo. I’ll take Tony vs Phil/NY over Walter vs the Nazis any day. 

I dunno if that's a fair comparison.  Tony v Phil didn't really start in earnest until near the end of Blue Comet, the penultimate episode.  The build up to Walter's demise was clearly more cogent and intense than the build up to Tony's...ending.  A lot of that difference is stylistic, sure, but I'd strongly argue BB wrapped up better than Sopranos.  What I particularly have in mind is the first half of the final season of Sopranos.  I found a lot of those episodes very meh, and I think we spent way too much of precious air time with Kevin Finnerty.

Just now, DMC said:

I dunno if that's a fair comparison.  Tony v Phil didn't really start in earnest until near the end of Blue Comet, the penultimate episode.  The build up to Walter's demise was clearly more cogent and intense than the build up to Tony's...ending.  A lot of that difference is stylistic, sure, but I'd strongly argue BB wrapped up better than Sopranos.  What I particularly have in mind is the first half of the final season of Sopranos.  I found a lot of those episodes very meh, and I think we spent way too much of precious air time with Kevin Finnerty.

The groundwork of Tony vs Phil started all the way back in season 5 when

Tony B tried to kill Phil and his brother

Will have to just agree to disagree on S6A. There’s a bunch of episodes I really like in that stretch (Members Only, Mayhem, Mr. & Mrs. John Sacrimoni Request, Luxury Lounge-which is just pure gold lol). 

4 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

The groundwork of Tony vs Phil started all the way back in season 5

Sure, that's why I said "in earnest," because

Spoiler

while it was certainly either on the precipice or the backburner once Tony B killed Billy, they then had Phil bitching, then the proxy war, then them reconciling when Phil had a heart attack at the end of 6A.  By the time 6B rolled around I was just like "get on with it already."

6 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Will have to just agree to disagree on S6A.

Indeed.  I thought the Vito storyline really dragged, and was certainly not compelling enough to warrant as much attention as it did.  Johnny Sack's storyline during this period was similarly "meh," I thought - and then there's Carmella and Ro's pointless trip to Paris.

Archived