Shows you felt went on too long, ended too soon or felt just ended at the right time

Varysblackfyre321

If we are going on to shows ended too soon, Sense8 has to be my top contender. I’ll join the votes for Rome too. And of more recent days, Daredevil. 

Where a show ends too soon I think it’s almost better if it’s unexpectedly cancelled. Otherwise you end up with a rushed final season that is sub-par; Sense8, Rome And Penny Dreadful being my examples again.

Carnivale was my first experience of a show that was cut short long before its time.I've read the wiki articles of what was going to happen and it sounded great.

Simpsons is like that old relative that is stinking out your top floor and refuses to move on, ruining all your pleasant memories together. Watching it at all is just asking to feel depressed.

The Leftovers and Halt and Catch Fire ended at the right times. Mad Men and The Shield are two shows that managed the rare feat of maintaining their quality over 7 seasons - neither show felt like it outstayed it's welcome by dragging on for too long. 

Voltron Legendary Defender went on way too long, now that I think about it. The problem was that it could never quite figure out what it wanted and it's cast never really found it's identity either.

Also, for shows that ended at the right time, Spartacus.

18 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Oh yeah, 24. That was supposed to be only 1 season originally, if I recall.

I remember hearing that the original plan was to do an anthology-style series where each season would have a different race-against-time premise, but Jack Bauer became so popular that the show became all about him.

How I Met Your Mother just didn't know what to do with the last season at all. I am all for weirdly experimental ways of storytelling and I suppose one show had to try it, but it just didn't work.

19 hours ago, Werthead said:

Season 5 of The Wire is almost as good as the first four with the exception of the "McNulty fakes a serial killer" plot and the "ooh, journalism sucks when corporations get involved" subplot, which were both a bit whacked out (the latter eats up surprisingly little screen time though). Everything else in that final season, like Marlo's machinations and plotting, Carcetti being in power but now completely helpless to do any of the things he'd promised for two seasons prior, Daniels realising the game is rigged but there's another way to play, and of course everything with Omar, was solid gold and the finale was perfection.

Except Season 5 is by far the shortest season (10 episodes vs 12 or 13 for the other four).  The McNulty serial killer + "Gus and newspapers are amazing" plotlines are literally the two main plotlines of season 5.  There are some bits and pieces beyond that, particularly the resolution of Omar and Marlo's plotlines.  But if you take out the serial killer and Baltimore Sun plotlines you have like 4 episodes worth of content.  That's just no comparison to the first four seasons of the wire.

Now personally, I'm not 100% convinced this is because The Wire "went too long".  It felt more like just a regular stumble that just happened to be the last season.  The things that went well in the season were the ongoing plots, the problems were the new plotlines they introduced, which never really worked and felt preachy and stupid. 

Too soon

Stargate Universe, Firefly, Farscape, and recently Daredevil and Travelers; I'd also say Stargate Atlantis could have benefited from that cancelled movie, or better a mini-series to tie up a few things. I'll echo Rome and Penny Dreadful, though Penny Dreadful could have been wrapped up in season 3 if they thought about it better.

Star Wars The Clone Wars, but it's coming back, so yay!

Too long

Most sitcoms that went longer than seven seasons, especially The Big Bang Theory. Also, South Park.

Chuck should have ended at season 4.

Among the dramas, Homeland and I'll echo The Walking Dead, Vikings, and House of Cards.

Arrow on CW, and probably the rest of those superhero shows in another season or two.

Just about right

Spartacus and Black Sails were pretty much near perfect.

Grimm was getting long at six seasons, and its final season was a bit rushed, but it had a good conclusion, and it needed that extra season to wrap up a bunch of stuff.

32 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Too long

Arrow on CW, and probably the rest of those superhero shows in another season or two.

Honestly, id be fine with all of them ending right now, save Legends of tomorrow and Black Lightning, as the former is still solid and the latter hasn't really had a chance to bloom.

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

How I Met Your Mother...experimental ways of storytelling ...just didn't work.

Also, the show stands as a disturbing testament to how a sitcom can lack funniness yet succeed as a comedy.  As if it came from an alternate universe where the physics of laughter operate differently..... which implies the strong ratings it got were from large numbers of pod people invading our Earth.

50 minutes ago, Corvinus said:

Too soon.  Stargate Universe, Firefly, Farscape, Stargate Atlantis 

Too long.  The Walking Dead.

CW, probably the rest of those superhero shows in another season or two.

Just about right.  Black Sails 

Grimm.

Firefly 1000 times over; Stargate Universe I've pined for maybe several times only, as they had hints of pleasing content but hadn't proven that anything amazing was coming.    Farscape is a fandom I've been unable to follow people into despite trying.   Atlantis had the finest leather suited supporting character of all time but it took me too long to stop snickering at the obvious villain theft of the Drow so i dunno bout that one.

Walking Dead is dead on its feet?  But they introduced Judith as their wise child savior savant who teaches adults the way!   And they officially stated they've only just begun!   You mean people aren't buying that?

Something about CW hero shows just crushes the soul.  Tuning into them would feel like a defeat somehow, a resignation of too much hope, you know?  So I've instinctively steered clear of them out of self preservation.

Black Sails escaped me after season 1, when our TV package changed.   It's on the to do list.

Grimm was so dumb in its premise, but then as someome who stuck with it I probably shouldn't be proclaiming that so loudly,.  The final otherworld and boss did amaze.   And the keys mystery.   Beyond-simple scripts made for foreign language students to easily follow along with, though, good lord it felt like material for 5th graders at times.  

Uff. Kinda overlapse witht he Series you quit on thread.

But too long among others.

Supernatural,

Two and a half men (should have ended with Sheen's meltdown instad of bringing in Ashton Kutcher, I mean seriously, was there any TV or movie where you thought, this would be so much better with Ashton Kutcher?).

Arugably The Simpsons (although there's still 1-2 good to great eps each year),

TWD,

Marvel's Iron Fist (sersiously one season was too many),

Battlestar Galactica,

Dexter

Too short lived

I name an old one, that hasn't popped up yet, the Adventures of Briscoe County Junior

Firefly

20 hours ago, DMC said:

I love Justified, but it coulda ended a couple seasons earlier.

I thought it was perfect entertainment right to the end but I'm fine with it ending. I've never gotten into Sneaky Pete in spite of all the overlap with Justified in terms of actors, show runner, etc... Anyone gotten into that. 

Most of the classic too longs have been covered. Parks & Rec was great, but too long. Never bought the Ben Leslie romance, loved Ron but he got pretty Fonzie towards the end. TNG, way too long. X Files, too long. Great call on Chuck - such a bubble gum show where it was fun to start but lost flavor pretty quickly. 

Too short: Terriers, one more season of Reaper would have been fun, Terriers, Party Down should still be running with different casts which is exactly how a Hollywood catering company staffing would work. Also Terriers. 

I want to say Veronica Mars but then they're making more and the movie was .... ok. 

50 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Honestly, id be fine with all of them ending right now, save Legends of tomorrow and Black Lightning, as the former is still solid and the latter hasn't really had a chance to bloom.

I don't think this means what you think it means. :P I know LoT is a show where you need to accept the silliness, which I had, but then came last season's last few of episodes, the closing of the big demon arc, and I thought they really mishandled some of the characters, so I called it quits. 

39 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Walking Dead is dead on its feet?  But they introduced Judith as their wise child savior savant who teaches adults the way!   And they officially stated they've only just begun!   You mean people aren't buying that?

Wouldn't know, I tapped out at the beginning of the season.

12 hours ago, Darth Richard II said:

Terminator: The Sarah Conor Chronicles deserved at least 7 more seasons. 

One of my all-time favorites.  Didn't mention it cuz I don't think canceled shows really count.  Still, it had an almost perfect last line - Sarah's time-traveling "I love you too" to John.

13 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

I've never gotten into Sneaky Pete in spite of all the overlap with Justified in terms of actors, show runner, etc... Anyone gotten into that

Nope.  Never really heard of it, will have to look it up, thanks!

45 minutes ago, Vaughn said:

Too short: Terriers, one more season of Reaper would have been fun, Terriers, Party Down should still be running with different casts which is exactly how a Hollywood catering company staffing would work. Also Terriers. 

I want to say Veronica Mars but then they're making more and the movie was .... ok. 

I think some people would probably argue Veronica Mars should have ended after two seasons. I still quite liked some of the third season, but it's definitely a step down from the first two.

Archived